• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DACUS' Intimidation Factor

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I wanted to look at a different aspect of DACUS that's usually not talked about much. I'm starting to think more and more that DACUS not only gives Sheik more potential kill power with her grab release setups and making it exponentially easier to land tippers, i'm beginning to think that if you don't choose to master DACUS and utilize it's potential you are missing out on a critical aspect of Sheik.............unpredictability.

Brief history lesson so bear with me. I've known about DACUS for a while. I've been on this board and would like to think that i've been a contributor for about Brawl's existence (little over 2 years). When DACUS was discovered and InnocentRoads' various Dacus vids were posted, I thought it was flashy.....maybe worth looking into. Didn't really pay much attention to it after messing around with it after a while. Seemed like a waste of motion to me and I didn't feel that the risk/reward factor of it was paying out enough for me. In fact I started to think that outside of the GR setup on MK, the move wasn't worth the wasted effort.

About a year ago I saw vids of Light for the first time. Somehow he was able to nail DACUS nearly 100% of the time and use it safely and effeciently. This renewed my interest in DACUS. I was tired of having Marth, MK, Kirby, and Wario players being able to zone me through the air with no risk to them.

Of course you can attempt to punish their landing with needles and that's all fine and dandy.......but your opponent is aware of this. I had to face the fact that needles are not outstanding(they're good don't get me wrong), but they in no way are great for punishing characters on landing and they definitely don't help when your opponent takes to the air. I then began to put the pieces together......DACUS makes needles more dangerous.

Think about it. When your in the Marth matchup....most of the time the Marth is going to take to the air to avoid your camping and Sheik doesn't have the moveset to deal with Marth in the air. So of course the inevitable happens. You charge needles while Marth begans his fair and nair spacing to get inside. Now I know Sheik can deal with Marth once he's inside, that's not the point. With DACUS, you make the Marth player weary of SH aerials. ESPECIALLY at higher percents he can't afford to risk you landing a tipper. What does this leave him? You have him almost scared to approach aerially or at least have conditioned him to be extra careful when taking to the air.....no longer does Marth have an easy time zoning Sheik....there's always going to be that worry of a random DACUS from you in the back of his mind.

Then I started mixing in a little chain here and there. I now have a sort of semi-wall built up in that I:

1. Have a charged needle storm ready to punish a misspaced landing

2. Have a ranged move in the chain that I can mix in to halt approaches

3. Have my opponent also thinking of DACUS. At any time I could end his stock INSANELY EARLY.

This can limit my opponents options. Now what does he do? Approach from the ground? Dash shields? He's now playing right into your hands. Even at that dtilt zone range that MK and Marth players love you have made them worry about Sheik's unpredictability. I think instead of us being overly catious and hiding in our shield a lot.....we could be doing the same thing to our opponents?

Against certain characters I think Sheik may be a defensive monster. Then you throw in the fact that certain characters like MK have to be extra careful of grabs at like 90% or their dead lmao. I don't know many characters in the game that have the ability to kill MK as early as Sheik does.

To sum up my scattered thoughts. DACUS is really good. A lot better than I originally thought. It can eliminate Sheiks problem of killing early. I think DACUS may evensingle-handedly change some matchups.

Thoughts? Am I totally off base here?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i agree with you

unexpected dacus kills are a very important aspect of sheik's games

her dash attacks, walk up ftilt/grab mixup, and needles just add to the unpredictability of her offensive game, and forces the opponents into defensive positions simply because they're scared or overly cautious

mastery of dacus is really useful, and scoring surprise KO's with well-spaced dacus (especially lucky tippers) can reaaaallly change the momentum of a match

good thread, a lot of people underestimate this. heck, i used to

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think it's more important to recognize how incredible a move her dash attack is- you know, the one that's actually the key to boost smashing in the first place. Sheik's dash attack has got to have one of, if not, the best speed to range ratios of all grounded punishment options in this entire game. It's too good.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Too bad it hits for 7% and doesn't KO until over 200%.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd take the ability to punish many normally safe attacks, 7%, and a chance at juggling over nothing any day.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I use dash attack but only sparingly since if it's blocked your screwed. Even on hit it's punishable until mid-percents.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
That's the only downside to dash attack. That's why I only use it to punish.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I use dash attack but only sparingly since if it's blocked your screwed. Even on hit it's punishable until mid-percents.
Who are you fighting... a freakin heavy weight?
DA is not punishable by most people past like 30%.
Spam the stupid thing.
Shield> DA is really good. Also just punish anything with DA is really good.
I mean, how can you not spam it? It may not have the combo ability of f-tilt but it sets up for a juggle.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I think it's more important to recognize how incredible a move her dash attack is- you know, the one that's actually the key to boost smashing in the first place. Sheik's dash attack has got to have one of, if not, the best speed to range ratios of all grounded punishment options in this entire game. It's too good.
<3 preached how amazing this move is a while ago. I think we all know now. Its actually one of the core reasons why I think sheik is so good. Punishing snake's ftilt after sheilding is so good.

On topic: DACUS certainly does create an intimidation factor, espceially once they know you're proficient with it. Still upsmash takes 13 frames to come out. They can respond to it on reaction if they aren't in lag. I think that's important to keep in mind.

But yeah, DACUS is too good. So is Mars.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Spam the stupid thing.
I mean, how can you not spam it? It may not have the combo ability of f-tilt but it sets up for a juggle.
Spamming it... not such a great idea haha. If Ike powershields it he can fsmash you before the cooldown ends.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I still like dash grab to punish more. I only use dash attack instead when I need a faster option.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Spam the stupid thing.
Meh MK can like nado you in cool down lag still at those percents and Marth can fair etc. Move is nice but maybe it just doesn't fit me. I like to stay relatively risk free of getting hit with a really powerful move because i misspaced a dash attack or they shielded a frame before I hit them.

<3 preached how amazing this move is a while ago. I think we all know now. Its actually one of the core reasons why I think sheik is so good. Punishing snake's ftilt after sheilding is so good.

On topic: DACUS certainly does create an intimidation factor, espceially once they know you're proficient with it. Still upsmash takes 13 frames to come out. They can respond to it on reaction if they aren't in lag. I think that's important to keep in mind.

But yeah, DACUS is too good. So is Mars.
Yea i've had people grab me and other silly things while i've been in the startup animation lol and DACUS is still stopped with something as simple as one needle. (BTW single needles is really good against Snake lol) If you're not predictable with it though and don't fall into a pattern of using it....I think it can still surprise people.

For that last part <3 rathy:)

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Now you're being a *******. >.> Which is stupid since we have a mod regularly visit this board. >___>

*summons Ankoku to infract him*

I would try some bs to make this post on topic, but I have class now. x.x

Ummm. DACUS ppl on BF platforms. There on topic now. =D

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
Now you're being a *******. >.> Which is stupid since we have a mod regularly visit this board. >___>

*summons Ankoku to infract him*
U just mad cuz im stylin on yea (smirk)

Anyway bout the thread and shiz, Dacus is good, but dont make it seem predictable like if you want to use it and want ur opponent to think ur not gonna do it, camp first and when ur opponent starts coming to u then use dacus, i do that and its most of the time a tipper kill

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
U just mad cuz im stylin on yea (smirk)

Anyway bout the thread and shiz, Dacus is good, but dont make it seem predictable like if you want to use it and want ur opponent to think ur not gonna do it, camp first and when ur opponent starts coming to u then use dacus, i do that and its most of the time a tipper kill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKSvO9ncy3E

IDK how to embed vids =/.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
NEEDLES!
yeah if you suspect a character is going to start running dacus (and needles even more) are neat because most characters are completely defenceless during their opening dash.

DACUS can be a good suprise, but I mainly try to use it to punish espeacially when I'm at kill percents. Dacus falls prey to the same this as needles. you have to try and guess when to use it correctly against multi jump characters. and miss timed it is just as easy to be hit by marths fair or MKs fast falled fair.

Great shock value but not an anti air like you made it seem.

Dacus should see more play but I still preach safely above risk.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I guess it did kind of come across like that. I didn't intend to imply that it was a fantastic anti-air move....I just meant that it puts a little gnawing thought in the back of your opponent's mind that they can't be completely safe while they approach in the air with SH aerials.

Similar to when Wario has a charged fart or a charged up Donkey Punch but on a smaller scale. It's like one of those wildcards in a match imo. Like Chok said landing a tipper out of nowhere can really change the momentum of a match.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
giant punch is So~ scary....

I falcon punched a giant punch and died yesterday, lol.

I digress, DACUS definitely a tool you want your opponent to know you have avalible at anytime. It does change up zoning stuff a lot.

Top Bottom