• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D :

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Well just about everyone who's in the botton two tiers in the new list (And many that aren't) quickly made a complainandcallSBRnamesthread. Except Pokemon Trainer. This will simply NOT do. Complain moar please guys.

ZOMGhightiercounterpickseveryoneversatilitylol.

Thoughts?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i'm pissed. i wanted pokemon trainer in true poo tier. we almost made it by two spots. ):

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
i'm pissed. i wanted pokemon trainer in true poo tier. we almost made it by two spots. ):
You've only yourself to blame for that one. You should have asked before each match in tourneys and friendlies what character your opponent uses and then loudly exclaimed **** PT SUCKS AGAINST ___!!! and used Captain Falcon instead claiming he has a much better match up.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
**** that **** i blame AD, Typh, IRL, Pants, and Zeta for making the West Coast PT-Country.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Why is R.O.B. so low.... Y_Y

He is below diddy now....
And I actually expected G&W to go up now that they have discovered Buck Braking.... :-/

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
rob has had horrible tourney rep for someone that used to be in top tier. rob was overrated in the first tier list to begin with.

bucket braking only really helps if you get knocked into the furthest boundary. gw is also having pretty disappointing tourney rep. you should be glad gw didn't go any lower. i certainly expected it.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Why is R.O.B. so low.... Y_Y

He is below diddy now....
And I actually expected G&W to go up now that they have discovered Buck Braking.... :-/
*HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*

HIGH TIERZZZ BURNZZZES USS

SUCH BRIGHT FUTURESEZZ

OUR EYEZZ

GOLLUM GOLLUM.

I kinda agree, one of Game and Watches main disadvantage was light wieght leading to fast deaths. Doesn't Bucket Braking really help that even with it's limits it's still pretty big?

PFFT! You said Tourney rep. *Points at Sonic*

Onxy

Smash Lord
Maybe we're too busy trying to get better with PT than worrying where he stands on some silly list.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
OMG i cant say i owned with a low tier anymore!!!!
What will i say, i owned with a F tier ???
Between sonic and yoshi... sounds fine... i guess :p

The_real_gamer.... I couldnt agree more with you... i just hate that guy (ok dino whatever ).. and sonic.. well they try hard

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
OMG i cant say i owned with a low tier anymore!!!!
What will i say, i owned with a F tier ???
Between sonic and yoshi... sounds fine... i guess :p

The_real_gamer.... I couldnt agree more with you... i just hate that guy (ok dino whatever ).. and sonic.. well they try hard
You know I used to really like Yoshi before I played Brawl...

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
PT has no representation other than west coast, and SBR people are predominately midwest/east unfortunately

i don't care though it'll make ****** with him that much more fun :D

Palpi

Smash Hero
PT has no representation other than west coast, and SBR people are predominately midwest/east unfortunately

i don't care though it'll make ****** with him that much more fun :D
I changed my main from Ike to Pokemon Trainer so I can rep up in the Nj / Pa / Ny tristate area. Pokemon trainer has tons of potential and with each tier list changing, I and others will continue to advance is skill with all 3 pokemon :)

Phoenix812

Smash Cadet
I don't think we should care as greatly as you make it sound as we should. Improving and getting better placements in tournaments is really the best thing we can do at this point, in my opinion. Let the tier list say what it wants. We know that the PT rocks. Changes will happen, but over time.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yup typh summed it up pretty nicely. i want people to think pt is close to bottom tier territory so they don't expect anything from some pt in tourney

Palpi

Smash Hero
I like playing "bad" characters for that very reason. But I realistically approach every character / player match-up knowing that every character can beat any other character at any given moment.

I know that the tier-list is what it is and I completely agree that a list should not determine how good we are and what zeph and steeler said is histarical and to our advantage, but I also would eventually like to so PT not only progress in our communities eyes but in everyones. lol

Phoenix812

Smash Cadet
That's what makes PT even more fun to use. The reactions to a PT beating Top/High Tiers is always priceless on certain people.

Not only does it get you recognized, but it makes people look at the PT from a new perspective.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yeah, the only real problem is that he went down. Shouldn't we want him to go up a little bit?

Palpi

Smash Hero
Different perspectives really. Characters that play lucas or metaknight or sheik or falco know how good they are and how good they do against good players of all characters and they don't need a list, that isn't finished to tell them how good they are. Though it is pretty much true for tourney placement.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I blame people not using him, I mean I'm the only person in MI, (maybe the Midwest), that uses Pokemon Trainer in tourney's. Maybe people think "he's too hard," lol.

Phoenix812

Smash Cadet
Compared to Melee, I'd like to think that Brawl is a young game. There are still many changes that can be made on that list, don't you agree?

I realize that the PT went down on the list, but I don't see how that should discourage us from improving. I suppose we can afford to be at least a bit tolerant for now. If he keeps going down, then I agree that we, the PT mains, should take some sort of action.

As for tournament placements, I cannot leave my area to go on a tournament hunt. If I could Brawl in tournaments, I would not hesitate to use the PT.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
people don't even know how good the individual pokemon are. :\ you had people in the SBR thread telling us that all three are the best. no one knows how good the pokemon are. hell i don't even know for sure. all people know is that pt isn't doing that hot in tourney play. pt /=/ any of the pokemon themselves. and if you don't know the pokemon themselves...then what do you know?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well, the real concern about going down is that We're not going up. Several months after the initial tier list, and several discussions latter, and we haven't found enough reason to even keep his spot. This is concerning. We REALLY have to try to improve the meta game, somehow.

Oh, and Steeler, are you going to edit the matchup order now, let alone GET ANY WORK DONE?!

Edit: OK, I do support Steeler's Idea of asking the back room to put the Pokemon into perspective (and possibly getting PT's score out of the average or something), but this could potentially cause more problems with Solopokerus (PT-itis to the lay person), as it could say something like "Charizard is in rank D, while the other Pokemon are in rank F or that Ivysaur is in rank G, while the other two are in rank C" for example (Note, this is not my personal view on where they stand, Ivysaur is pretty good, and Squirtle has his strengths, and Charizard his weaknesses). This will essentially get into the mind of Newbies (and n00bs) that "Hey, Pokemon A is way above Pokemon B so maybe I should focus on Being able to use A alone" or "Hey, Pokemon C is below D, I should avoid C" (note, I know I used more than three letters, I used 4 so that we don't get into this best/ worst hype [By the way, C is in fact my favorite letter]). This may drag PT down even further instead of saying "Hey, Maybe I should work hard to be able to play with C so that he can do well in a fight" type deal. We have to be cautious on addressing each Pokemon on their own. It could help with perspective, but it could worsen Solopokerus (and spread stupidity).

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
oh yeah, forgot that i have to edit the matchup order.

i'd like to focus these next three weeks on putting analyses up for the matchups we have and fixing the ones that are wrong. but i'm not experienced enough in all matchups to do it myself, nor can i do it myself just because of the sheer workload.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
And we can possibly add the Sonic and Toon Link match ups too, as you stated that they weren't crackpot.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Well, for those who wanted him in the lowest tier...

At least be glad that he's considered the worst newcomer to Brawl? ^^; Sonic used to have that title.

Oh, and I'm against asking the SBR for individual Pokemon analysis just because of Charizard92's reasons. We don't need any more "Charizard is the only one holding up PT" or any bullcrap like that.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Imagine that, Charizard holding up the team? Ha, what a laugh!

Oh, sorry. This isn't the place for this.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Right now, I feel like I'm the only one upset with the Idea of maining the lowest tier New comer. Seriously, this taking the low tier as a compliment thing, please stop. If we embrace it, how do we improve on it?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Right now, I feel like I'm the only one upset with the Idea of maining the lowest tier New comer. Seriously, this taking the low tier as a compliment thing, please stop. If we embrace it, how do we improve on it?
I think it's more of the fact that we feel that PT is better than that, which means that PT will be underestimated.

We also get more bragging rights when we own other characters.

Remember, PT may have gone down, but YOUR skills aren't affected a bit.

EDIT: wow I used the word "that" 4 times in the first sentence

RichBrown

Smash Master
You all are very lucky, my character shot into high tier, but barely, so it's like a really ****ty good character, but a good character nonetheless.

Embrace your low tier, it actually is going to make things easier for you. The guy above said it just right: tiers do not affect your skill level at all. Enjoy it while you can, because PT will be top of mid one day.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
I'm soooooooooo glad PT is as low as he is.

1. Less chance of a noob influx (I pity the ZSS, Diddy, Olimar and Peach boards at this time)
2. No respect from anyone means you will be underestimated.
3. I use wiiremote+nunchuck so when someone who doesn't know me already sees me with a wiichuck and hears I use PT, they will assume im the worst player in the entire building. YES!
4. Tiers don't matter as much as personal skill usually... but its best to be known for gracing the top or the bottom and not being mediocre like Ike or Luigi...

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Wow, I am the only person here who is upset over PT's lower placement. Do I get a cookie?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
lol and I'm gona help Reflex bring up PT in the south. =D

LA and AL are practically neighbors.... We just got Mississippi inbetween. ^^'

But really like everyone else says, we care to much about getting better at PT than caring about where he stands on the tier list.

gosh I hate these sympathy threads. Idk why I even bother replying to them. It gets annoying to tell every sympathizer that we could care less about PT's standing, we just want to get better.

Edit: Gives Charizard Volcano Cookie. =D

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic had like, 11 people place in tourneys in December, and at least 2 of them placed in their first offline tourneys.

9_9; I hate how people assume there's like 11235781 Sonic mains in tournaments when, from what I've seen/heard from other Sonic mains, they'd see another Sonic player maybe once every 10 tourneys, if at all.

When was the last time you saw someone complain about trouble fighting Falcon? lol
But then they cite their C-rank in the December tourney rankings as reason to be higher tier.

I don't think the tournament placings actually make a difference for characters. I think it's more of their actual performance in-game (and the outcry/lack of outcry from people they play against) that warrants whether or not they may be deserving a second look.

When has your tier ranking ever affected you in-game? Did it delevel your pokemon or something? D:

I'm soooooooooo glad PT is as low as he is.

1. Less chance of a noob influx (I pity the ZSS, Diddy, Olimar and Peach boards at this time)
2. No respect from anyone means you will be underestimated.
3. I use wiiremote+nunchuck so when someone who doesn't know me already sees me with a wiichuck and hears I use PT, they will assume im the worst player in the entire building. YES!
4. Tiers don't matter as much as personal skill usually... but its best to be known for gracing the top or the bottom and not being mediocre like Ike or Luigi...
I personally liked #1 for Sonic. If some scrub came in saying something like "i'm gonna main sonic so he can be high tier and also because hez my favrite video game character evrrrr!11" we shot him down, because in all honesty, he'd probably never get anywhere.

But to expand at #2, it's more of a personal/regional thing but people won't learn the matchups for your character, especially if they're lower tiered. Hell, people still don't know the Sonic matchup (yet somehow, there are millions of Sonic mains at tournaments, right?). IMO that's a huge reason why we were able to get that spike of points.

PT's a pretty cool character. Though I only really use it online and in friendlies, their (overall) priority and damage racking are comparably good to Sonic, and matches go by soooo quickly.

:/

Onxy

Smash Lord
I used to care about this, and that's why I dropped PT at one point and "mained" Olimar. Olimar had a bit too much rep, and I really didn't like the idea of me seeing 'em everywhere. So I dropped the child's play, and went back to PT.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
can some1 explain to me how olimar went from bottom to top? I was browsing on the link boards and saw he was high up there and it baffled me cuz I remember earlier in the year when brawl came out he was bottom, one of the reasons was his recovery like ivy and he only have the worst recovery in the game cuz the more picmen you got, thje longer the reach, ivy has a set reach.

Top Bottom