• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Stage Project

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
So it's been a little over a month and now the stages that were posted since day one have now started to become non-downloadable. It might be a few more days before it actually affects the stage list, but I think we should discuss how we are to create a standard for all tournaments should this project grow beyond just 1 or 2 local tournaments. Should we keep reposting the stages on Miiverse, or should we reconsider sharing stages via Imgur pictures of the grids?
I'd say reposting is the best way to go. If we have a few people who has them all downloaded, they can upload them every month or so. If we rely on imgur, we have human error when it comes to recreating them. That's an unnecessary and undesirable variable.
I agree this can become a problem, but reposting will be the simplest solution. Unfortunately, only the original builder can repost, but once a user downloads the stages they will stay on that user's console for good. Our main builder has just made updated versions of our stages as well so we have more time for these

Last edited:

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
So it's been a little over a month and now the stages that were posted since day one have now started to become non-downloadable. It might be a few more days before it actually affects the stage list, but I think we should discuss how we are to create a standard for all tournaments should this project grow beyond just 1 or 2 local tournaments. Should we keep reposting the stages on Miiverse, or should we reconsider sharing stages via Imgur pictures of the grids?
I'd say reposting is the best way to go. If we have a few people who has them all downloaded, they can upload them every month or so. If we rely on imgur, we have human error when it comes to recreating them. That's an unnecessary and undesirable variable.
Someone should create a Miiverse account specifically for stage downloads. I also think posting grid photos online is a good idea too.

Geno9999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Geno9999
Someone should create a Miiverse account specifically for stage downloads. I also think posting grid photos online is a good idea too.
Way ahead of you, though that Miiverse account is doing it via its Likes list. A bit easier to keep it updated and less repost for the account itself, and the individual builders can still post the stages on their own.

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Way ahead of you, though that Miiverse account is doing it via its Likes list. A bit easier to keep it updated and less repost for the account itself, and the individual builders can still post the stages on their own.
Exactly

Ok @ Smearglangelo Smearglangelo I've done tons of testing on the new updates and the results are great. I want to make these stages absolutely perfect so I can stop asking you to make changes, you've put in so much work and it's hugely appreciated. I've finally had the time to test the kill %s on the original versions of these stages in Smash 4 and here are the results:

PS: Perfect with the new ceiling, no changes needed
Yoshi's: Small size vastly improves the boundaries with Fox's FSmash killing Mario at about 95 by the edge - virtually equal to the 94 that it killed at on the 3DS Yoshi's Brawl. The ceiling on your version has Fox's UpSmash killing Mario at around 99, but on the original it kills at 103. If you could make the stage just a tiny bit lower to make up for this difference it would be perfect.
WarioWare: As of now the ceiling kills at exactly the same percent as on 3DS, but it definitely needs to be Small, as the 3DS side boundaries actually kill Mario as early as 82! Getting them this low will be impossible, but making it small will be much more accurate. The ceiling should have Fox's UpSmash killing Mario at 100.

It's worth noting that I'm gathering these percents by using training mode which also adds the same damage to Fox, giving him rage, and I'm using completely uncharged smashes

These should be the last changes ever needed on these 3 stages, thanks again

Last edited:

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
Also keep in mind the computers may use some DI to get back on stage. so make sure your ether comparing computers or other people without DI.

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Also keep in mind the computers may use some DI to get back on stage. so make sure your ether comparing computers or other people without DI.
Well I tested against a CPU Mario on stand everytime. If they do inconsistent DI that would be bad

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
PS: Perfect with the new ceiling, no changes needed
Good to hear.
Yoshi's: Small size vastly improves the boundaries with Fox's FSmash killing Mario at about 95 by the edge - virtually equal to the 94 that it killed at on the 3DS Yoshi's Brawl. The ceiling on your version has Fox's UpSmash killing Mario at around 99, but on the original it kills at 103. If you could make the stage just a tiny bit lower to make up for this difference it would be perfect.
Are you okay with the spawn locations being a bit weird because of this?
WarioWare: As of now the ceiling kills at exactly the same percent as on 3DS, but it definitely needs to be Small, as the 3DS side boundaries actually kill Mario as early as 82! Getting them this low will be impossible, but making it small will be much more accurate. The ceiling should have Fox's UpSmash killing Mario at 100.
EDIT: Warioware is already small.

Last edited:

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Good to hear.

Are you okay with the spawn locations being a bit weird because of this?
EDIT: Warioware is already small.
Hmm, the spawn locations for 1v1s are the only ones that really matter, but if they cant have both players at an even distance I think it may be better to leave it be. Does the exploit not work when the stage is lower?
Also didn't realize WW is already Small, in that case it's perfect! There's no way to get the side blastzones any more accurate then.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Hmm, the spawn locations for 1v1s are the only ones that really matter, but if they cant have both players at an even distance I think it may be better to leave it be. Does the exploit not work when the stage is lower?
Also didn't realize WW is already Small, in that case it's perfect! There's no way to get the side blastzones any more accurate then.
Something I figured out recently is that the game tries to make players spawn as close to the grid's center point as possible. If you move the stage down such that the base is below the origin and a platform is at the origin, P1 will spawn on that platform.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Something I figured out recently is that the game tries to make players spawn as close to the grid's center point as possible. If you move the stage down such that the base is below the origin and a platform is at the origin, P1 will spawn on that platform.
Bingo. I can use the spawn trick on the floating platform, but it would create problems like having to press down twice to go through the platform.

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Bingo. I can use the spawn trick on the floating platform, but it would create problems like having to press down twice to go through the platform.
I understand. It'll be fine as is then, I'm going to post the new downloads on my events now

I'd also like to start testing on the next stage to add. I feel like Fountain of Dreams would be a good option for some variety. @ Geno9999 Geno9999 has updated his build several times and it's been added to the test list for download, testers please check it out

Update: Ok @ Geno9999 Geno9999 the new FoD build functions properly and looks fantastic, however our testers have pointed out that the ceiling is quite low, when FoD was always known to be a stage with a high ceiling. I think making the build medium could do the trick, plus that would likely give you even more room to have the platforms move through the stage. I feel like Fox's UpSmash killing Mario at around 108-110 would be good. Plus none of our CSP Stages so far have high ceilings so this would add a nice variety

@ Smearglangelo Smearglangelo it's been brought to my attention that WarioWare is no longer downloadable. Please repost it when you get the chance

Last edited:

GoldM

Smash Rookie
Make a new nnid:TakoAlt ive updated stages on that acc. Better physics and stuff.

Geno9999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Geno9999
I understand. It'll be fine as is then, I'm going to post the new downloads on my events now

I'd also like to start testing on the next stage to add. I feel like Fountain of Dreams would be a good option for some variety. @ Geno9999 Geno9999 has updated his build several times and it's been added to the test list for download, testers please check it out

Update: Ok @ Geno9999 Geno9999 the new FoD build functions properly and looks fantastic, however our testers have pointed out that the ceiling is quite low, when FoD was always known to be a stage with a high ceiling. I think making the build medium could do the trick, plus that would likely give you even more room to have the platforms move through the stage. I feel like Fox's UpSmash killing Mario at around 108-110 would be good. Plus none of our CSP Stages so far have high ceilings so this would add a nice variety
Sorry it took me so long, but I rebuilt the stage in Medium, like you suggested. In comparison to the original, the ceiling is still lower than the original (but due to stage positioning, it has a slightly higher ceiling than Battlefield.) The Side blastzones were also increased, though that can't be really fixed what with Small actually being wider than FoD.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
Is this still a thing? 'Cause I always thought this would be an awesome idea if it took off. I've got over a dozen unique, albeit simple custom stages (obviously, as competitive play sort of requires it) that I'd love to throw into the ring.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'll just bring in a post from another custom stages thread:
I'll be contributing a few of my own concepts soon.
EDIT: They're coming.

NNID: Zzuxon
Stage Designer: Zzuxon

Stage Name: Donkey Kong
Size: Med
Music: Opening (Donkey Kong)
Description: My concept for a good stage based on the original Donkey Kong. the 2 moving platforms always go in opposite directions.
Link: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkOPJ4NIw

Stage Name: Bowser's Castle
Music: The Fated Battle
Description: There has been a trend of Bowser's Castle stages which I think I started with this stage. You might notice a few decorative touches I made.
Link:https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkOPJr0yg

Stage Name: Lifted Ground
Music: Style Savvy Trendsetters
Description: My most original stage. I think the image speaks for itself. Some throws stage spike if done at the very edge of the bottom platform, but recovery is easy unless you're at high percent.
Link:https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkOO10MFQ

Stage Name: Crossbar Arena
Music: Mario Circuit (Mario Kart 8)
Description: There are 2 moving platforms that emerge diagonally from the ground. The lava inside the stage marks their approximate paths.
Link: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkOPN4nSg

Stage Name: Spinwheel
Size: Small
Music: Yoshi's Woolly World
Description: The 4 moving platforms move back and forth in a square shape.
Link: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkOPJrztA

Stage: Spinwheel Alt.
Music: Yoshi's Woolly World
Description: This version is slightly bigger, loses the 2 static platforms, and has the solid platform in the middle.
Link: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkOPL_BdQ

Divemissile

Smash Apprentice
NNID
What_garbage
Are you still accepting testers? I'd like to join this project

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Sorry for my absence here. So while the custom stages have been received well, many tournament goers have preferred to play without them, as they are not used in other tournaments. I still believe in this project and I think building competitively viable custom stages is a great thing, but I've unfortunately had to remove them from my tournaments for the time being

Whia

Smash Apprentice
Couldn't you simply organize custom stage exclusive tournaments, the way a lot of TOs have custom move tourneys?

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Couldn't you simply organize custom stage exclusive tournaments, the way a lot of TOs have custom move tourneys?
Not a bad idea. Atm we only have 3 customs tournament ready but so more in the running. Ultimately I'd like to get other TO's involved. My venue doesn't have room for smaller side type events like that

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I haven't been following this thread for a wile. I've remade each of the following stages using characters like Mario and Mega Man (about 2x3 grid squares) as a unit of measurement to get each stage as close to the original in size as possible. I'll include the download links when I get the chance. I hope this helps you guys out.

- Omega Stages (3DS & Wii U):
Accurate blast lines. stage is to scale.

- Pac-Maze (3DS):
Hazards and Pac-man pellets not included.

- Skyloft (PM):
Based off of and scaled from a portion of the Temple stage and PM blast zones. Highly accurate, but visually dull.
Please let me know if It's possible to make stairs that function properly.

- Grudo Valley (3DS):
Blast zones may not be accurate. Based off of the default stage before the bridge breaks.

- Smashville (Wii U):
Very accurate and to scale, but not useful because the stage is already in the game.

- Temple:
Blast lines are too close to the stage. the stage may be slightly too big compared to the Temple stage in the game.

- Miiverse (Wii U):
top and bottom blast lines may not be accurate.

What do you guys think? Are these stages of any use?

Also here's a YouTube playlist I put together of Super Smash Bros. Wii U stage builder past stage remakes:
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwgLaWd_QemkfXhJrcfNJgfyi2dYjaFWU.

Check out the YouTube channel Lorulean. He has a few really accurate stages remade with the Stage Builder.
Here's one of his videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1GDYis6R40.

Last edited:

SASS-CHAN

Smash Rookie
I have a stage that might be good for tournaments not sure
Hello all. Yes, I'm not the first or the only person to have said it, but many players have spoken about the prospect of a "Custom Stage Project," to do for custom stages what the massively successful Custom Moveset Project accomplished for custom specials in Smash 4. I'm creating this thread to gather and organize the focus on this specific goal into one place where we can define a concrete way to go about doing this.

So what is the "Custom Stage Project?" The goal here is to agree on standardized Custom Stages that can (and SHOULD) be legalized for tournaments, discuss the best uses for them on stage lists, and how to organize them on multiple Wii U setups.

Yes that's still very general. Legalized for which tournaments? Which stages should be used? All of the questions you may have can be discussed in this thread as we forge ahead with this project, although I may answer many of them as you read on.

Where do we start? So especially with the Wii U Smash's "free draw" stage builder, the possibilities for Custom Stages are virtually endless, so how do we decide which stages are worthy of being tournament-legal? Well the best way to start (as many already have) is by rebuilding existing Smash stages. Specifically those that were either legal in previous games and removed from Smash for Wii U, and static versions of those that have obtrusive hazards or transformations but viable neutral forms. Through the new Stage Builder it's possible to recreate all of these stages either perfectly or extremely closely, acceptably enough for the community to embrace all of them in competitive play.

Here are a few strong examples, many of which I've seen recreated already:
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Wario Ware
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Yoshi's Story (Melee)
  • Dreamland
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Green Hill Zone (PM)
The first 3 would be the easiest to bring into the game at first, in my opinion.

So in the recent Nintendo Direct it was confirmed that the next Smash Wii U patch will allow players to share Custom Stages between Wii Us. This essentially eradicates the major argument against using Custom Stages in tournaments. Whether it be through Miiverse or simply by sharing with Nintendo Network friends, spreading stages with other players will be very doable and quite easy I believe. Should the latter be the scenario, I will personally provide Custom Stages to everyone once a decision has been made on which should be used.

So now it's up to you guys to share your designs, and we can use polls to determine the most accurate renditions of each stage. It's completely open to discussion, but for the time being I think we should focus on Pokemon Stadium, Wario Ware, and Yoshi's Island, as a way to test a selection of Custom Stages in tournaments.

Who am I? In the Smash community I go by G5|CoZmos. I'm a T.O, a player, and founder and co-manager of Game5 Smash: a growing Smash organization based in New York. My crew hosts tournaments at 3 different venues, with turnouts of over 40 entrants, featuring notable competitive players such as iQHQ XFiRE|Vinnie and John Numbers. We are willing and prepared to test this project out at all of our events and strongly encourage others to join us.

Conclusion: I realize that this post could use better organizing. I have many thoughts and ideas regarding this subject and I did my best to lay them out here for everyone, and I hope we can all make progress with the Custom Stage Project by discussing this together!

NOTE: this is NOT a place to share everyone's Custom Stage designs. There is already a thread for that purpose. The only designs that should be shared here are potential contenders for the most accurate recreation of past (or hazardous) stages.

UPDATE 4/17/15: So we can share stages very easily through Miiverse. Anyone who has stages that fit the criteria mentioned please upload them to Miiverse with "CSP" and the name of the stage and follow Username: rorycosgrove (https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/rorycosgrove/empathies) and I will use this Miiverse account to share the stages that we plan to use for tournaments and any stages that anyone else wants using my Miiverse accounts "Yeah!" list.

UPDATE 4/20/15: Now that we have the sharing feature figured out, I'd like to start enlisting BUILDERS and TESTERS to the project. Please inquire if you'd like to get involved!

BUILDERS:
@ Smearglangelo Smearglangelo
@Rifick
@hell-dew
@KingofSarus
@ ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone
@Conda
@ clydeaker clydeaker
@VanillaThunderbolt
@ Geno9999 Geno9999
@DC| Reset Bomb Jigglypuff
@krazyzyko

TESTERS:
@FS Fantom
@Rynhardt
@Metal B
@SapphSabre777
@Balgorxz
@MajorMajora

UPDATE 4/23/15: Thanks to the great work of our builders and testers (notably builder @ Smearglangelo Smearglangelo and testers @FS Fantom and @Rynhardt) we have 2 stages ready for tournament use. I will link them and encourage everyone to download once we get them finalized

UPDATE 5/19/15: We now have 3, well tested, balanced tournament-ready stages, courtesy of builder @ Smearglangelo Smearglangelo . They are:
  • CSP WarioWare Inc.
  • CSP Pokemon Stadium
  • CSP Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Here are the download instructions:
1. Open Miiverse on your Wii U
2. Click "Activity Feed"
3. Click "Search Users" and type in "rorycosgrove"
4. Click on the account from the search results, then click "Activities"
5. Click "Yeahs" and you'll find the list of stages
6. Download ONLY the stages that say "Custom Stage Project" in the description by clicking on the post and clicking "Start." This will open Smash and download the stage
7. Repeat step 6 for all CSP stages. The process should take approximately 10 minutes
I sent 2 stages to miiverse Final Stadium a cross between Fd and the vanilla Stadium 2 and Showdown 2
Showdown 2 allows players who's character can't recover well on the left a small platform lower than the stage helping out characters like dr. mario however to the right it allows characters with good recoverie To recover high helping out characters such as ike

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
There has been some talk on Twitter about reviving the CSP. Stay posted to this thread for any potential updates

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
I'm definitely down for this project getting a revival and making an impact. The "recommended ruleset" has too few stages. I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if this has already been suggested, but I think that a static version of Lylat Cruise would make for a great legal stage.

Top Bottom