• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Moves for Donkey Kong

jigglover

Smash Lord

This screenshot was released today. To me, I feel like Sakurai may have just put a second Luigi with his final smash behind DK out of the view of the Snapshot and taken this during his final smash, however the screen's not dark! Could this be a custom move of Donkey Kong's going over his Banana Slammah, where it draws characters in to set up a combo?

What other custom moves do you think Donkey Kong could have?

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
On the Miiverse post he clearly states this is the 3rd custom standard special attack for DK. Research a little before coming up with theories on the spot.

grizby2

Smash Lord
the all new storm punch...
hmm, seems like luigi isn't being sent into hit stun. maybe this move has the "windy" effect like link's gale boomerang. that could be pretty fun to blow people away from the stage when they try to recover :joyful:

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Man DK looks more interesting each day!

And to all competitive people: I will enjoy this casually with RL friends (and family ;D) and can put whatever custom moves I want. You can ban as much as you want, who caz?

Hong

The Strongest
Man DK looks more interesting each day!

And to all competitive people: I will enjoy this casually with RL friends (and family ;D) and can put whatever custom moves I want. You can ban as much as you want, who caz?
As a competitive player, I'll be fighting hard to at least try custom special moves. Nothing I have seen so far has really changed my opinion, this update included. Looks interesting.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
As a competitive player, I'll be fighting hard to at least try custom special moves. Nothing I have seen so far has really changed my opinion, this update included. Looks interesting.
Thanks. It's so hard seeing a great feature be under the ready ban hammer.

I'd like:
B:
That does 15-20% and forces a trip, so that DK can follow up.

Side B:
In addition to the Armored one, I'd like one that comes out fast that pushes the opponent back.

Db:
One that could stun, so that it could be a combo to B. But as a trade-off, it loses it's ability to spike in air, and is limited to one ground smash.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Nvm all that side stuff. I'd like to see a better up b for DK.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
So it looks like we might have gotten some new custom move info in the starter guide, based on the scans. The resolution is unreadable on my phone, though. Can anyone confirm any new custom moves for DK?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
how hilarious would it be if DK had a custom up+b where he went almost completely vertical instead of horizontal? haha

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
how hilarious would it be if DK had a custom up+b where he went almost completely vertical instead of horizontal? haha
I think that would be cool if it'd attack right above him, so that it wouldn't be anymore of spike DK while he's recovering.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong's back, and his custom moves are...honestly, compared to Fox and Ganondorf, really underwhelming. He's got some unique options though. I couldn't see too many of these being moves you'd integrate into a normal moveset, but I could see someone perhaps making a custom moveset with one or two of the moves to swap to if they were having some issues defeating an opponent with the normal one.

-Standard B-

Custom 2: Donkey Kong charges up his punch faster (at the cost of some power) and has electric effects. Could be useful if you want more speed instead of power.

Custom 3: Shown in a pic of the day. Releases wind that pushes an opponent back with a fully charged punch. Still does damage if the punch connects. Can be very useful for edgegaurding

-Side B-

Custom 2: Jumps in the air and then does a headslam. Could be a good option against airborn opponents maybe?

Custom 3: The same move as usual, but slower and more powerful, and leaves the opponent in the ground longer. Has super armor, which is cool.

-Up B-

Custom 2: Does no damage, but gains a lot of height from it, especially in comparison to the normal jump. Recovery's kinda easy in Smash 4, but if you're still having trouble with DK, use this.

Custom 3: Does damage on the first hit and more at the end, instead of a constant stream like normal. Seems to suck the opponent in between those two hits too. Might be useful.

-Down B-

Custom 2: Electric effects. Has good knockback.

Custom 3: Fire effects. Not much else remarkable about it.

Honestly, these are just really underwhelming. I kinda think maybe Sakurai thought DK was OP and didn't give him that great of a variety of custom moves? I donno. But these just aren't very overpowered like some of the other customs seem to be.

Video of the Custom 2s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umNBc5gMQpw&list=UU_2qLJkKXkaqk3e8JXcQNcw
Video of the Custom 3s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFnGSwfrTfs&index=2&list=UU_2qLJkKXkaqk3e8JXcQNcw
Note that the videos are crappy offscreen recordings, are played against a CPU, and feature me mostly spamming the custom attacks to see what all they can do.

MTHunter

Smash Rookie
The headbutt and punch specials are actually overwhelming in the right hands.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Well... I'm disappointed. But man, that gust punch is going to be amazing. People are underestimating its potential.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong's custom moves feel really uninspired if you ask me. All they did was add fire or electric to most of them.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Is the armored sideB with invincibility (looks like it) or with superarmor? Because people keep saying superarmor, but he flashes like he has invincibility (it was probably changed since the Smash Direct).

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I uploaded DK's custom moves as well if anyone cares to watch

So not only do they give him a more vertical upB that's comparable to Mario's in distance covered (when used in the air) and startup speed but don't give it a hitbox, they decide to give Bowser pretty much the exact same option but with even more distance and a hitbox? I don't even know how a developer justifies such stupidity.

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
The best one is the diagonal one anyway so I wouldnt worry too much. Also I found the uses for the other down Bs. The fire one hits airborne opponents. The flame itself is the hitbox. The thunder one does alot of damage and a kill move.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
The best one is the diagonal one anyway so I wouldnt worry too much. Also I found the uses for the other down Bs. The fire one hits airborne opponents. The flame itself is the hitbox. The thunder one does alot of damage and a kill move.
Can the fire one stop projectiles?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
DK's up B custom 3 (Kong Cyclone) is ridiculous.

It has an extremely strong vacuum effect that can pull in other airborne characters from over a whole bodylength away, and it also staggers them as it does so, which prevents them from retaliating or escaping the final hit. It can even yank them off the ground if they're close enough to it.

It still has super armor frames like the normal Spinning Kong, too, so you can't even knock DK out of it reliably even if you have a character with enough range to hit him before the vacuum staggers you.

From seeing it in action during the official national tournament, it looks to make DK almost unstoppable when he's in the air, to the point where most characters probably won't even want to try fighting him there.

Last edited:

Alphatron

Smash Champion
DK has some of the better customs in the game. Kong Cyclone is an absurdly good move where the only "downside" is that it doesn't hit multiple times but only hits once. Storm Punch is still a strong attack that now sets up edge guards even if it whiffs and can gimp recovering opponents. Relentless headbutt isn't great but is good for punishing the lag guest of attacks and you can't even shield it because it will break your shield.

The only normal move I'd keep would be Down B because the custom variants don't punish rolls. But DK got some really good custom moves over all. As a Zelda main, I'm kind of jealous because my options aren't far from terrible. (Here's an UpB that only goes straight up but meteor smashes opponents!)

RiotLettuce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiotLettuce
3DS FC
0877-2587-1813
I'm actually in love with DK's strong Side B with all the super armor. I'm in love with it because it absolutely destroys shields. And it completely rekts everyone.

Top Bottom