• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom GameCube Controllers

Hawt Salsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
illuminati
3DS FC
0666-0420-1337
Nice job on those controllers man.
Just a quick question for all you that have ordered a controller with the playstation 3 stick on; how is it compared to the gamecube stick?
I remember playing Melee on Dolphin with a PS3 controller and it sucked, it was near impossible to moonwalk, but that could just be the resistance of the stick mechanism.
It'll have the ps3 stick, but it'll still feel like a gamecube contoller. It's all about preference. I actually used one with a ps3 stick not to long ago, and I moonwalked full distance without any added effort.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Nice job on those controllers man.
Just a quick question for all you that have ordered a controller with the playstation 3 stick on; how is it compared to the gamecube stick?
I remember playing Melee on Dolphin with a PS3 controller and it sucked, it was near impossible to moonwalk, but that could just be the resistance of the stick mechanism.
Personally I don't like it. But I know a few Smashers that prefer it over the normal stick so it's really just preference.

Edit: I got Jinja'd.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Used to play w/gcube stick
then realized the PS3 kinda wrecks it (my opinion)
then finally tried out the Nunchuk stick...
And Im never going back.

BTW
Look at this ppl, A dry bones theme controller w/gray top, clear bottom, and RGB LEDs :eek: Show it some love! Terry, thanks for coming back :colorful:

O yea, I got the board today terry lol

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Used to play w/gcube stick
then realized the PS3 kinda wrecks it (my opinion)
then finally tried out the Nunchuk stick...
And Im never going back.

BTW
Look at this ppl, A dry bones theme controller w/gray top, clear bottom, and RGB LEDs :eek: Show it some love! Terry, thanks for coming back :colorful:

O yea, I got the board today terry lol
I'm calling the cops. This is too sexy looking and should be illegal.

GCS Gaming Customs

**** no, I don't want to get arrested!

Lets keep this out of the laws way. Its a little too much for the common law (just like Jeff is too high for the common falcon)

:falconmelee:

Whoops, accidental x2 post...
Buy dem controllers!

Again, Im always open to any constructive criticism/comments, makes my products better.

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
Just like with the controller you made for me right there, you could try experimenting with new unique colors + LED combinations to make something that would appeal to a lot of people, like a green controller with purple LED's for example, or a white controller with red and blue LED's. Be spontaneous and creative and people will recognize it. Also you're doing a great job and you two definitely need to keep up the good work.

GCS Gaming Customs

Yea, I like using a lot of my customer's orders for display, so others can construct their own ideas for a controller. Creating generic controllers does not really seem to work in the custom controller market, as most people want a very specific design. Most don't sell for a while, and when they do, for a lower amount than if custom ordered...

I will try experimenting with some generic LED controllers for my store. The Spacie one I mentioned earlier (except with a lot less mods) would pbly be a good start..

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
I will try experimenting with some generic LED controllers for my store. The Spacie one I mentioned earlier (except with a lot less mods) would pbly be a good start..
I'll look forward to seeing what awesome stuff you manage to come up with from now on then!

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
His much would it be to install on of those tiny fans and possibly an on/off switch for it?
If you want to send in a controller to me, it'd be $25 before shipping. I actually just bought a couple switches, too. I've yet to put it into my own controller though.
Send me a PM with your details.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I'm not ready to get a fan in the controller yet, haha. I was just wondering what it would probably cost. Would love to know if it's possible to have the switch in it and such :)

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I'm not ready to get a fan in the controller yet, haha. I was just wondering what it would probably cost. Would love to know if it's possible to have the switch in it and such :)
To be honest I've yet to do the fan mod for anyone else. I've done three versions of it on my own controller, though. I need to get my hands on another dremel again so I can put in the switch to my own controller. It's going to be piss easy to add a switch. I'm planning on putting it on the bottom in between the D-Pad and C-Stick.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
So, what's the benefit of removing the L/R springs?
Easier/quicker to press. Benefits are easier to L-Cancel and tech and **** but the downside is if you use it to L-Cancel and you miss it you lose your chance to tech for 40 frames since you hard pressed it. It's really just best to learn how to L-Cancel with soft presses or Z rather than a hard press.

I really should put the spring back in mine..

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Actually, the real benefit from removing L/R spring is for wavedash, like Terry said, for L-cancel and teching, soft presses are better.
That's the thing, I don't use my springless button for wavedashing, I can only wave dash with the spring so I don't get any real benefit from playing without it.

GCS Gaming Customs

I gotta hot pink (bit hotter than the one shown) and a light pink (jigglypuff pink) paint available.

I also got hot pink PS3 sticks, madd sexyy

GCS Gaming Customs

What I got. The lids are the colors of the paint. Both paint colors, of course, look better in real life (the hot pink is a bit lighter, the light pink a bit darker), I think the stick looks the truest to its actual color in the photo above.

Coastward

Smash Lord

What I got. The lids are the colors of the paint. Both paint colors, of course, look better in real life (the hot pink is a bit lighter, the light pink a bit darker), I think the stick looks the truest to its actual color in the photo above.
oh man, im really digging that light pink.

GCS Gaming Customs

I got lots of purples, too. Im not really sure what sorta design you are thinking of, wanna put some thoughts out there?

I can usually help people with their controller design, as Ive worked on a lot of these.. most ppl like to take my advice on a color/decal scheme.

Coastward

Smash Lord
I got lots of purples, too. Im not really sure what sorta design you are thinking of, wanna put some thoughts out there?

I can usually help people with their controller design, as Ive worked on a lot of these.. most ppl like to take my advice on a color/decal scheme.
well i was thinking about going with a light pink shell and then making everything else(buttons, sticks, etc) white.

GCS Gaming Customs

Can't make buttons white right now, unfortunately...
But there are still a lot of cool designs to go for. The color spectrum of the buttons is very suitable for most color schemes, and usually does not have an awkward or anything of the negative sort impact to the overall controller.

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813

I bet a lot of people would like something similar to what Terry has, with black replacing white, purple replacing pink, and a clear bottom for LED installations. You should just start experimenting with colors and release what you come up with!

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I was bored and didn't have much to do so I've stepped into the dark side of modding. There's no serious use that I can think of for this mod but I'm sure it's slightly beneficial for a lot of characters UpB's. I've removed the rim around the stick so it doesn't limit the angle the stick can be at. Here are a two pictures showing the difference between how far you can push the stick.
[collapse=No Mod]
[/collapse]
[collapse=With Mod]
[/collapse]
As you can see there's a pretty big difference in the area you can angle the stick into. Uses for this could be getting more precise or harder to reach angles with the UpB of Fox/Falco/Mewtwo/Zelda/Sheik etc.

I also wonder if there's specific AT's that can only be done from reaching this far out of normal stick range? I have no idea.

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
Well GCS, The controller works nicely, and as I said you didn't have to put perfect or even good buttons or sticks on it because I can replace them myself with the ones from my best controller. I love it though and I get to use it tomorrow for a tournament and so far everyone I've talked too loves it. I've told people they should go buy something from you as well. Keep up the good work.
:happysheep:

GCS Gaming Customs

I was bored and didn't have much to do so I've stepped into the dark side of modding. There's no serious use that I can think of for this mod but I'm sure it's slightly beneficial for a lot of characters UpB's. I've removed the rim around the stick so it doesn't limit the angle the stick can be at. Here are a two pictures showing the difference between how far you can push the stick.
Its cool, pbly not going to put it on the store tho, Ill leave it as a special request order. I have some extra boards I can sell you to mod accordingly.. are you interested?
so im gonna attempt to paint my controller and post the results onto here, hopefully it turns out well.
DO IT
Well GCS, The controller works nicely, and as I said you didn't have to put perfect or even good buttons or sticks on it because I can replace them myself with the ones from my best controller. I love it though and I get to use it tomorrow for a tournament and so far everyone I've talked too loves it. I've told people they should go buy something from you as well. Keep up the good work.
Appreciate the awesome feedback! Don't thank me for the good buttons and sticks, comes with every controller I sell. Now you have two great controllers, and one that blinds people for the ultimate edge in tournament play :awesome:

Good luck at your tourney tomorrow :cool:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Its cool, pbly not going to put it on the store tho, Ill leave it as a special request order. I have some extra boards I can sell you to mod accordingly.. are you interested?
I didn't plan on wanting to sell this or putting it in the store, I just thought I should post what I'm up to. :>

Top Bottom