• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Current highest known GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
2.906mil with Dark Samus. Highest I know of is near 2.92mil

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
This morning before work my gsp was at 2.89 with Ganon, idk if it has passively raised since then since I don’t have the game with me.

I do know the matches i was getting weren’t giving barely any points when i won, maybe a couple hundred at best.

Does that by chance mean i was close to the top %? The way this is calculated is confusing...sometimes my gsp skyrockets when i win with other characters(and likewise plummets if i lose) against someone with a similar gsp, while others it seems to barely be affected at all regardless of a loss or win....

I’m thinking I should probably just abandon quick play as it’s also stressful at this point. I know It’s just a pointless number but it stings quite a bit if it plummets....

Ijigen

Smash Cadet
Hit 2,914,050 with rob. Grinding much higher is difficult but not impossible as you can lose 2000 GSP from one battle and never gain more than 400 on any win. Also very hard to get matched up with people at even/higher GSPs which would presumably help alleviate this skewed ratio a bit.

perroloco

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4398-9300-3061
So the way GSP works is super clunky, I have played online only with Ness and Lucario (well, my brother used Lucario), anyways I decided to play with other characters to see if I like other character's playstyle and decided to try Pokemon Trainer.

With Ness I've been between 2.3m to 2.8m, right now I was at like 2.4m or something like that.

Now, as you know the game averages the GSP or something like that, so my starting GSP with Pokemon Trainer was around 2.1 mill, I start to play and I beat my opponent, I didn't see his/her GSP but I think it was around 2.4mill, anyways, Trainer's GSP goes to like 2.4mill, I play against the same opponent two other times and I win both and Trainer's GSP goes to like 2.7mill... (Ness, my best character is currently at like 2.4mill)..

Just venting I guess haha, but seriously sometimes the way the game gives you GSP is just weird.

Chrollolith

Smash Rookie
So the way GSP works is super clunky, I have played online only with Ness and Lucario (well, my brother used Lucario), anyways I decided to play with other characters to see if I like other character's playstyle and decided to try Pokemon Trainer.

With Ness I've been between 2.3m to 2.8m, right now I was at like 2.4m or something like that.

Now, as you know the game averages the GSP or something like that, so my starting GSP with Pokemon Trainer was around 2.1 mill, I start to play and I beat my opponent, I didn't see his/her GSP but I think it was around 2.4mill, anyways, Trainer's GSP goes to like 2.4mill, I play against the same opponent two other times and I win both and Trainer's GSP goes to like 2.7mill... (Ness, my best character is currently at like 2.4mill)..

Just venting I guess haha, but seriously sometimes the way the game gives you GSP is just weird.
I am 2.8 mill with cloud and corrin, and i still haven't the elite, how can you be in there with 2,3/2,8??

mrtubby200

Smash Rookie
So I've been grinding away at classic mode with all people, I also did a near perfect run with wolf on 9.9, I know it's not online but every day this moves from 1-10k a day it's at 3.3 mill now https://imgur.com/a/nCJY2YV I'm about 40 people done in classic and my total score is also right around 3.2 mill while writing this

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
2.916mil with Dark Samus. All of the people I've fought today have 5,000-30,000 less GSP than me, and I've managed to get wins out of all of them. It's nice to see validation of improvement; I was at their GSP last week (not absolute numbers obviously, but relative to my own now I was in their lower GSP range), and I can see the differences in my playstyle.

Highest GSP I know of should be around 2.928-2.930mil now.

Last edited:

Saxonius

Smash Rookie
2.916mil with Dark Samus. All of the people I've fought today have 5,000-30,000 less GSP than me, and I've managed to get wins out of all of them. It's nice to see validation of improvement; I was at their GSP last week (not absolute numbers obviously, but relative to my own now I was in their lower GSP range), and I can see the differences in my playstyle.

Highest GSP I know of should be around 2.928-2.930mil now.
Im at 2903k with yoshi now, does that mean that 27k yoshi players have a better winrate than me?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Im at 2903k with yoshi now, does that mean that 27k yoshi players have a better winrate than me?
Considering that characters aren't played equally, yet everyone seems to report the current ES threshold as being a bit over 2.8 mil (maybe closer to 2.85 by now, since that was yesterday), I think it's more likely that 27k+ players are better than you overall, rather than 27k+ yoshi players specifically.

Last edited:

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
The data from posts on these forums and from the smash ultimate subreddit community seems to point towards character-specific GSP being inaccurate. This means 27,000 individual players, who can be using any character, have a higher GSP than you.

And keep in mind that number for the ceiling is just an estimate based on what I've seen so far. I think it's close to the ceiling, but we don't know for sure. Just our best guess so far.

perroloco

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4398-9300-3061
I am 2.8 mill with cloud and corrin, and i still haven't the elite, how can you be in there with 2,3/2,8??
Maybe I wrote that incorrectly, what I meant to say is that I fluctuated between 2.8mill to 2.3mill, then returning to 2.6mill, I was Elite only when I reached 2.8mill, got a little higher but then I lost some matches and got kicked out of Elite..

I'm pretty sure that the minimum for Elite right now would be around 2.82 or something like that though, like I don't think 2.8m is enough now, I know I didn't get elite at exactly 2.8m, I had to win a match after 2.8m and got elite (Probably reached 2.82 or something, can't remember)

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Hit 2,914,050 with rob. Grinding much higher is difficult but not impossible as you can lose 2000 GSP from one battle and never gain more than 400 on any win. Also very hard to get matched up with people at even/higher GSPs which would presumably help alleviate this skewed ratio a bit.
Yeah I notice this if I play really high level I barely get like any GSP.

I dont play a lot of online though cuz I get so tilted by the joycon controller. Gonna buy a GC controller.

Like sure I could just hard abuse palutena and chrom but playing Marth Lucina ZSS or Sheik with a ****ty controller when u need precision with these characters is so annoying.

Last edited:

perroloco

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4398-9300-3061
leafgreen386 leafgreen386 and I Chizl I I Chizl I can you elaborate on that?
Are you implying that the game has 2'930,000 online players right now? (2'903,000+27,000)
If so, how did you get to that number? I'm genuinely curious.
Also you mentioned reddit, is there like an specific thread where this is being discussed?

Anyways, I have a theory of mine that Elite Smash is the 5% of the better online players, think about it this way:
The top GSP we have seen as of today (January 6th) is 2.92m (that's the reported scores here in this thread), I think the Top people should be around 2.95 GSP atm.
The 5% of 2.95m is 147,500, so let's suppose the pool of players that's gonna reach Elite is 147,500 (The 5% of the total online player base).
Let's round it up and say 150,000 players can reach elite atm.
Following this theory, now 2'950,000-150,000= 2'800,000. (Minimum GSP for Elite)

BUT I know that 2.8m wasn't enough to reach elite as plenty of users (and even myself have reported here) don't reach Elite with 2.8m anymore..
So I think there's a "rule" in the system, somehting like if you win a game after reaching the minimum GSP (2'800,000 today) you get to elite, or maybe they really do follow GSP to a teeth and they have some abstract number threshold like 2'810,235 being the minimum GSP for elite or something.

Really hope they implement a daily or at least weekly leaderboard to see who the top ranked players were or something haha, I would love to see who the top ranked player is.

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Are you implying that the game has 2'930,000 online players right now? (2'903,000+27,000)
Also you mentioned reddit, is there like an specific thread where this is being discussed?

Anyways, I have a theory of mine that Elite Smash is the 5% of the better online players, think about it this way:
The top GSP we have seen as of today (January 6th) is 2.92m (that's the reported scores here in this thread), I think the Top people should be around 2.95 GSP atm.
The 5% of 2.95m is 147,500, so let's suppose the pool of players that's gonna reach Elite is 147,500 (The 5% of the total online player base).
Following this theory, now 2'950,000-150,000= 2'800,000. (Minimum GSP for Elite)

BUT I know that 2.8m wasn't enough to reach elite as plenty of users (and even myself have reported here) don't reach Elite with 2.8m anymore..
So I think there's a "rule" in the system, somehting like if you win a game after reaching the minimum GSP (2'800,000 today) you get to elite, or maybe they really do follow GSP to a teeth and they have some abstract number threshold like 2'810,235 being the minimum GSP for elite or something.

Really hope they implement a daily or at least weekly leaderboard to see who the top ranked players were or something haha, I would love to see who the top ranked player is.
Everything is pure speculation. Only thing is that its weird and I would like a more proper ranked system.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper

We don't know the exact number of players in the ranking system. That's the problem. The upper bound is an unknown.

The GSP needed to reach elite is *always* some "abstract number" as you put it, because it's exceedingly rare that whatever criteria it's using is going to land at a nice breakpoint like 2.8 exact. The current threshold is about 2.84 or 2.85, based on GSP having risen a bit more than 40k since yesterday.

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that's what I was getting at. And sure, no problem. I started out with the same 5% theory as you, but the spread of GSP that people were reporting at the bottom and top of Elite seemed too small for it to be true. For the last few days, our best guess on this thread has been the top 3.25-3.5% of online smash players are the ones in Elite Smash.

For the sake of this explanation I'm going to use the numbers from early this afternoon as a reference point. I haven't been home to check what my GSP is currently sitting at.

An hour before I posted my GSP of 2.916mil, someone on Reddit posted a screenshot of their GSP immediately after breaking through the Elite Smash threshold - their GSP was just over 2.84mil. This means it was at least 2.845mil by the time I posted my GSP on this thread, but I'll keep it rounded down to keep the estimates conservative.

Out of every single match I've played, and every single "highest GSP" post I've seen (which includes people referencing pros like leffen and zero), the highest GSP I've ever heard of is currently about 12,000-14,000 above mine (it used to be 25,000 above mine but I've closed the gap a bit since then). I don't think that's the ceiling, but I think it's very close to the ceiling, so maybe we can throw in some buffer room and say the highest GSP in the world (during the early afternoon today) is 2.94mil, which would be 24,000 above my own at the time.

(2.94mil - 2.84mil) / 2.94mil = 3.4%

So given the best numbers we have for that moment in time, and putting in some buffer room on both ends, we get a spread of 3.4%, which supports the estimated 3.25-3.5% I mentioned earlier.

Earlier in this thread a player verified that Elite Smash encompasses more than 3.1% of all online players. And given how so many top players are seeing a ceiling around the numbers I referenced, these seem like the best estimates we have to go off of. But if somebody posts a GSP significantly higher than one I've heard of thus far and is able to offer proof to back up the claim, then I'll readjust the numbers accordingly.

Last edited:

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
At 2.948mil, highest I know of is around 2.96mil now.

Last edited:

PapaGlock

Smash Rookie
At 2.7m with zelda now. Something im noticing is alot of power characters and speed characters. Havent fought many technical characters at the top except for today. Fought a 2.8 megaman and 2.8 Mr. GAME n watch

2,740,432 with Bayonetta
I respect that.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Anyone know what the current highest GSP is?

Lets keep this post updated as you spot them.
I just hit the 2.96M mark with Wii Fit Trainer. That said, I'm not combing the entire thread to see if this is the highest. Maybe we could update the OP with whatever is the highest as new numbers come in?

Edit: I did check at least the last two pages (sings the GSP cap keeps increasing) and this seems to be the highest number listed. So the current high water mark as of this post is probably 2,960,863.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
If you care about a useless stat like gsp its very easy to get it higher:

Play someone online:

Did you win? Hope they stay and you can keep beating them. if it was close and you really care leave so they dont get you back, if it was a stomp stay as long as they do.
Did you lose? leave and find someone you can farm like above ^

Everyone always leaves after one game, its so lame lol. so many nerds.

2,956,166 K.Rool
2,953,260 YLink
2,775,022 Roster

Ijigen

Smash Cadet
SmashBro99, I think most of us are operating off the assumption that the system behind GSP is based on some more proven ranking metric, such as elo. If this were the case, I don't think successive wins over one player would confer as much advantage as you think. Haven't really abused the strategy you proposed so I can't speak from experience though.

Edit: whack rulesets are probably the sillier way to bust everything, at any rate

Last edited:

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
SmashBro99, I think most of us are operating off the assumption that the system behind GSP is based on some more proven ranking metric, such as elo. If this were the case, I don't think successive wins over one player would confer as much advantage as you think. Haven't really abused the strategy you proposed so I can't speak from experience though.

Edit: whack rulesets are probably the sillier way to bust everything, at any rate
Fighting the same person over and over *is* an effective way to gain (or lose) GSP. It doesn't seem to prorate wins/losses against the same player, so as long as their GSP is higher than or similar to yours, you can continue to farm them and gain large amounts of GSP. It only stops being worthwhile when you've farmed them enough for them to drop significantly below you. (The meaning of "significantly" changes depending on what GSP you're at; if you're at 1.5 mil, 100k above/below is basically the same rating, but if you're in ES, 100k is a very large difference.)

When I first started playing online, I kept rematching someone I was having very close games with, but they won most of them. I plummeted down to 30k GSP by the end of the session, and only afterward did I realize how badly it had ****ed my rating. Let me tell you, there's a *lot* of really bad rulesets down there. It took a couple days to climb back to where I belonged, and the matches were not fun.

The system isn't built to account for players rematching each other. It only really "works" when you get a brand new opponent every game.

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
Currently at 2.97mil with Dark Samus, highest I fought was a ZSS at 2.995mil. Did better than expected which is encouraging.

Zer0 must be at least 3.005mil now. Looks like I'm at least 35,000 GSP behind the pros. Ugh. I was hoping I had closed the gap more, but I've still got some work to do.

perroloco

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4398-9300-3061
2'912,838 was sufficient to get in Elite for my Ness.
Got kicked out of Elite, then won a match, and 2'899,384 was enough to return to Elite... Weird since shiver_motion shiver_motion reported his/her Ness didn't reach Elite until 2.9m.
Edit:
I'm currently at like 2'740,000 (And should be out of Elite, but I haven't returned to the lobby) weirdly enough I have been only getting matched with people that are in Elite (2'930,000 is the lowest ranked match)

So... maybe the system hasn't kicked me out of Elite because I haven't returned to the lobby? or maybe because of the time zone (It's midnight) I'm the highest ranked player...

Seriously, I played like 4 matches after getting to a lower than minimum Elite GSP and got paired with 2'900,000+ opponents every single time, then I got out of the lobby, so I didn't see the Elite badge and the next match I got paired with someone at 2'6m-ish (I was at like 2'7m-ish, lower than 2'761,457 which is the GSP I got after beating my opponent).

Last edited:

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
2'912,838 was sufficient to get in Elite for my Ness.
Got kicked out of Elite, then won a match, and 2'899,384 was enough to return to Elite... Weird since shiver_motion shiver_motion reported his/her Ness didn't reach Elite until 2.9m.
GSP moves in big amounts around those levels. It's possible they were just below the threshold and then gained a little over 10,000 GSP from one win to get over 2.9mil.

But this was just what I was hoping to find out. We now have a bottom threshold of 2.8995mil and our highest known top threshold is roughly 3.005mil (Zer0's GSP relative to mine right now). That's a spread of 107,000 GSP, which is about 3.51%.

It seems like GSP encompasses slightly more than 3.5% of the top players. I don't have Zer0's exact GSP so it could be slightly off, making the spread below 3.5%. Regardless, it's so close I'm comfortable saying Elite Smash encompasses at least the top 3.5% of online smash players.

We're narrowing it down! Slowly but surely.

Ijigen

Smash Cadet
Haven't played any more since my last post, but I checked and my GSP crept to 3,000,461 since then.
Edit: Just did the grind to 3,004,230. Played for an hour and a half continuously and lost exactly one battle. I actually hit 3,004,000 something after only a few matches but then one loss set me back about ten games or something silly like that!

Last edited:

Lifewaker

Smash Rookie
Zer0's Cloud is just over 3.030 mill GSP.

My Palutena is sitting a tiny bit above the Elite boundary at 2.941 mill GSP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom