• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Current highest known GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
Fell down a little bit and am at 2.632mil.

Highest person I fought was a Bayonetta at 2.655. I didn't play the Wii U version but she's gonna do fine in tournaments despite her nerfs lol that player was probably the most skilled I've played so far.

2,633,353 with Ike

Elite cutoff is currently between 2,573,000 and 2,575,000

Also I HIGHLY doubt that elite smash is the top 10%. It's probably much smaller than that. Like top 5% or even 2%.
It seems like top 3-4% from all of our estimates. But maybe one day they'll actually tell us..

Last edited:

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
Fell down a little bit and am at 2.632mil.

Highest person I fought was a Bayonetta at 2.655. I didn't play the Wii U version but she's gonna do fine in tournaments despite her nerfs lol that player was probably the most skilled I've played so far.

It seems like top 3-4% from all of our estimates. But maybe one day they'll actually tell us..
Oh yah, I fought a Bayo in elite and while it def was close they did a few things in that match that gave me a bit of PTSD of Smash 4. Bayo seems fine.

Mikazuki

Smash Cadet
2,646 mil with my baby girl ZSS.
Yeah, I do tend to run into the same people, so it would make sense if the elite playerbase is indeed relatively small.

Torrid_Zone

Smash Rookie
Currently at 2.648 with the roller i mean inkling. Also I checked out Nairo's stream yesterday and his highest was Palu at 2.62 which would likely put it at 2.65 or something now. Zero also just uploaded a video an hour ago with his highest at 2.645 so I'd imagine ~2.64 would have to be pretty much the top atm.

Kalaner

Smash Rookie
kickle i think most of us are posting online quickplay gsp though

my highest is 2,648,285

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
I'm 2.648mil right now. Highest I know of is probably a little over 2.665 right now.

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
Do you think ppl in elite can meet others players under it?
I don't think so. I would get knocked out of Elite a few times for the first few days I first reached it, and every single time I went back to normal quickplay I'd fight people with GSP below Elite levels, and it was much easier. I bounced back and forth getting knocked out by the better Elite players and then getting back into Elite by beating the easier non-Elite players until I improved enough to stay in. Since then I haven't fought a non-Elite player, so I don't think the system allows that.

Wyti

Smash Rookie
Seems like you can, I usually get kicked out of elite by 2.66M, like just happenned now (so the high part) and play them until sometime i'm down close to 2.5M (just happened now) then go back to elite once I get matched against 2.60M or lower.
The skill difference between 2.60 and 2.66M is quite impressive, and it does not seems to matter that much to the matchmaking as long as the numbers seems close.

Last edited:

xRaDx

Smash Rookie
Sitting at 2.657 with palutena. I haven't really been having much of a challenge since the game likes matching me with people 20-50k below me.

Yes, If your search can't find any nearby Elite players.

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
2.668mil with Dark Samus.

2.685mil is around the highest I know about.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Seems like you can, I usually get kicked out of elite by 2.66M, like just happenned now (so the high part) and play them until sometime i'm down close to 2.5M (just happened now) then go back to elite once I get matched against 2.60M or lower.
The skill difference between 2.60 and 2.66M is quite impressive, and it does not seems to matter that much to the matchmaking as long as the numbers seems close.
The skill difference is real, but it's more a matter of consistency. If you enter in "elite smash mode," then you're going to get opponents that also joined in elite smash mode until you exit, even if you're currently below the elite threshold. If you drop too much while in elite smash mode, it'll take a long time to find an opponent and will eventually tell you that it's matching you with a non-elite player. That happened to me after I lost a few too many games tonight, so I backed out and re-entered for the sake of faster matchmaking.

Last edited:

R208

Smash Cadet
2.691m with Ganon. Getting close to 2.7m! 3m should come in a few weeks at this rate.

Something weird happened. My Cloud dropped out from non-use, but it's back in. Didn't think it would ever go that way.

Makes the minimum for Elite 2.615m, in this case.

xRaDx

Smash Rookie
Leffen is at 2.705M+ with his pokémon trainer and will probably go higher since he just started his stream.

R208

Smash Cadet
Leffen is at 2.705M+ with his pokémon trainer and will probably go higher since he just started his stream.
I think this fully deconfirms top 3%. My lowest GSP elite is now 2.621m. That would make max 2.702m, which he is clearly above. I just updated my rankings by restarting my System.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think this fully deconfirms top 3%. My lowest GSP elite is now 2.621m. That would make max 2.702m, which he is clearly above. I just updated my rankings by restarting my System.
Assuming those two GSP's were taken at the same moment, that would be a 3.1% variance.

btw Current elite threshold seems to be 2,625,000 based on my mario who is 872 above that and elite, and my isabelle who is 816 below it and not elite. Can't find a top player online to compare with though.

Last edited:

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like it confirms the 3-4%, because I don't think anyone is a full percentile better that level. You and him are probably very close to the ceiling.

Might be close to 3.5% or 3.25%.

xRaDx

Smash Rookie
For those that are 2.68M and higher take caution for those that are on a horrible streak ( people who are well below your GSP but still in Elite). I Lost to one guy in sudden death and lost 20 matches worth of GSP points...

Aura Sage

Smash Rookie
For those that are 2.68M and higher take caution for those that are on a horrible streak ( people who are well below your GSP but still in Elite). I Lost to one guy in sudden death and lost 20 matches worth of GSP points...
Holy **** how does that even work

KingDadada

Smash Rookie
Holy **** how does that even work
A bit of a guess, but if you're at the top of elite smash players, you probably regularly get matched with players that are worse than you, but still in elite smash. Since there aren't enough players that are the elite of the elite for quick matchmaking, the system will instead match you against people that are worse than you within an acceptable range.

Then it is essentially measuring how consistently you can beat worse players as opposed to whether you can win 6 out of 10 against evenly rated players (because the vast majority of the acceptable matchup players are rated worse than a top player). So one loss to a lower rated player will send you tumbling, and gains from beating worse players will of course be less significant.

Last edited:

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Best to stick with percentiles because any absolute nominal threshold is going to become increasingly inaccurate as more players join online.
Yes, but we don't know how they set it up. They could've done it *either* as a top percentile, or as a top flat number. Just because a top percentile would make the "most sense," doesn't mean that that's how they chose to set it up. Without looking at the data, we can't know.

Last edited:

R208

Smash Cadet
Assuming those two GSP's were taken at the same moment, that would be a 3.1% variance.

btw Current elite threshold seems to be 2,625,000 based on my mario who is 872 above that and elite, and my isabelle who is 816 below it and not elite. Can't find a top player online to compare with though.
I'd like to confirm that I updated my GSP the moment I heard he was as high as he was.

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but we don't know how they set it up. They could've done it *either* as a top percentile, or as a top flat number. Just because a top percentile would make the "most sense," doesn't mean that that's how they chose to set it up. Without looking at the data, we can't know.
That's true. Hopefully a lot more players join over the next few weeks/months and it becomes apparent. If the disparity between the threshold of Elite and the top players we're finding is continually increasing, it's % based. If it doesn't deviate much from it's current range even when another mil or 2mil people join, then it's a fixed number. Either way here's hoping for 5mil+ online smashers one day haha. That'd be a nice sizable pool of talent to compete against.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
A bit of a guess, but if you're at the top of elite smash players, you probably regularly get matched with players that are worse than you, but still in elite smash. Since there aren't enough players that are the elite of the elite for quick matchmaking, the system will instead match you against people that are worse than you within an acceptable range.

Then it is essentially measuring how consistently you can beat worse players as opposed to whether you can win 6 out of 10 against evenly rated players (because the vast majority of the acceptable matchup players are rated worse than a top player). So one loss to a lower rated player will send you tumbling, and gains from beating worse players will of course be less significant.
It means elite smash is pointless for anything other than the basic bragging right of having unlocked it.

If there were seasonal rewards based on your rank , thatd be one thing, but at this point the moment you unlock elite smash it becomes a treadmill with no visible goal, might as well go play battle arena...

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
It means elite smash is pointless for anything other than the basic bragging right of having unlocked it.

If there were seasonal rewards based on your rank , thatd be one thing, but at this point the moment you unlock elite smash it becomes a treadmill with no visible goal, might as well go play battle arena...
Generally speaking I agree with this, but it has its uses for seeing where you stand compared to the other online players over the long term. Because at the higher levels of GSP I really do see a significant skill difference between my current level 2.710mil vs 10,000 below me or 10,000 above me. And knowing you're in roughly the top 100,000 players one month vs 50,000 players the next month, for example, is useful/meaningful.

But it certainly has its limits. Battle Arena is better for practicing against skilled people over and over and really getting down certain matchups. And they need to make some serious tweaks to GSP so we actually know how the d*mn thing works and where it maxes out at. Hopefully one day..

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
And they need to make some serious tweaks to GSP so we actually know how the d*mn thing works and where it maxes out at
Or they could just give us two numbers: GSP and rank. GSP is just a feel-bad system all around. At low GSP, you know you're low GSP anyway, so it feels bad. At high GSP, you barely get to see a difference in your rating when you win, even though you might be jumping a huge number of spots relative to the top, so it feels bad there, too. Even if they don't show rank for anything below elite smash, I think at least ES should show you your actual rank, since that's the point that rank becomes a useful form of measurement.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
2,706,809 Cloud

I expect the threshold to be at least 2.7 soon as my Ike got dropped at 2.65 and isn't back in yet at 2.67

Last edited:

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
Currently at 2.722mil. Highest I know of must be around 2.745mil now.

Hinade

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7521-3662-6713
Currently at a little above 3.000.000 gsp in Classic mode with Samus.

Will edit with the actual number in a few hours.

Edit: It's 3.117.655

Last edited:

TM06

Smash Rookie
Im currently 2.718 with Mii Sword fighter. im only gettting about 800 per win at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom