• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CT ZeRo's Coaching Program! (I'm back!)

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Zero
What do you think about Apex2013? What players do you think can win and what teams do you expect to make change for a victory?

Myollnir

Smash Ace
I just wanted to say that if you're facing the same direction as Pit when you do a Nado, he won't be able to mirror shield you.

ninjapenguin

Smash Apprentice
^That's pretty cool I was not aware of that. I watched some vids of you recently Myollnir, I had no clue how good you were and the many characters you use. I'm a fan!

Zero, how do you beat an MK who ftilts a lot? It shuts me down (on wifi at least).

icecream if ur lurking then yeah, im talking about you lol

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Zero
What do you think about Apex2013? What players do you think can win and what teams do you expect to make change for a victory?
It's gonna be very stacked, and without all the Olimar players this time around, since Brood and Nietono aren't coming and also quitted Brawl.

I think I will win, because I want to win very hard. But if I had to pick someone else, I would definitely pick Mew2King. He is TOO good when he practices and has a good controller. Teams? Abadango and Otori are gonna be awesome to see. Ally and M2K teaming again is also going to be hype. QuiKSilver and I are going hard at this. I think we can win, because we really want to. But if I had to pick another team, I'd say Otori and Abadango would win, since I know they practice a LOT in general (singles and doubles).

I just wanted to say that if you're facing the same direction as Pit when you do a Nado, he won't be able to mirror shield you.
It's funny to approach to Pit, turn around before jumping and tornadoing him, haha. Also, turn around N-Airs, D-Smashes with the back hit are good ways to mix up the tornadoes, and even kill him if it's a hard read. And reverse FH Down Airs are very good to counter his shield and also gimp him. You can also approach to him off stage, expect the shield, and shuttle loop the other way around. He will get sent to the other way and die, and you will get back safely to the stage.

^That's pretty cool I was not aware of that. I watched some vids of you recently Myollnir, I had no clue how good you were and the many characters you use. I'm a fan!

Zero, how do you beat an MK who ftilts a lot? It shuts me down (on wifi at least).

icecream if ur lurking then yeah, im talking about you lol
F-Tilt is very annoying in wifi, because you can't really punish it consistently IN BETWEEN hits. Like, dropping your shield after the first/second hit. The easiest way to punish it on wifi, is to wait out the third hit, and then attack. I've learned this the hard way. Also, if he doesn't F-Tilt quick enough, shield grab him fast. Some people F-Tilt one or two times then grab, because they know you will wait for the third hit to punish them.

In general, run and shield completely owns F-Tilt. Watch out for dash grabs, though.

Exdeath

Smash Master
My improvement has continued and last week I took 4/21 at a tournament taking out multiple solid players on my way. I don't have videos because the Wii on the first one didn't have infinite replay and the second player who beat me didn't want it recorded, but both ended up with me losing game 1, two stocking them game two, and then losing game three. The player I lost to in WB was my practice partner and the player I lost to in in LB was :popo:.

I feel like I could have won the first set if I hadn't tried to camp (since your advice to act on instinct, I've taken to playing more aggressively) and the second set if I hadn't lost my patience (his reaction to my advances was to walk back -- a safe option overall, but eventually the loss of stage control will remove his ability to defend against Neutral B; I attacked before cornering him despite him attempting to move himself there).

Your advice (which, naturally, includes practice) has helped me improve, but I'm not near being satisfied at this point and wish to continue improving.

TSM ZeRo

My improvement has continued and last week I took 4/21 at a tournament taking out multiple solid players on my way. I don't have videos because the Wii on the first one didn't have infinite replay and the second player who beat me didn't want it recorded, but both ended up with me losing game 1, two stocking them game two, and then losing game three. The player I lost to in WB was my practice partner and the player I lost to in in LB was :popo:.

I feel like I could have won the first set if I hadn't tried to camp (since your advice to act on instinct, I've taken to playing more aggressively) and the second set if I hadn't lost my patience (his reaction to my advances was to walk back -- a safe option overall, but eventually the loss of stage control will remove his ability to defend against Neutral B; I attacked before cornering him despite him attempting to move himself there).

Your advice (which, naturally, includes practice) has helped me improve, but I'm not near being satisfied at this point and wish to continue improving.
Great stuff. Keep it up!

'Play by your instict' can be taken in many different ways. For example, my instict as a player tells me to camp as soon as I get a lead, play safe in the ledge, and hardcore camp vs Falco and IC's. Who did your practice partner play? MK?

It's all dependant, really. You might have camped incorrectly, like shielding too much and getting grabbed (very common habit of people who feel insecure when camping), or too much D-Air camping because you need space, or you were scared and gave too much stage control. The best camping, is the one that adapts to your opponent's needs. I invite you to check out my blog entry about camping in general: http://clashtournaments.com/?p=224

The other is not taking advantage of situations you should be taking advantage of, just because you're in 'camping mode' and don't want to 'risk it'. This is when you start to slowly give up your lead, and give your opponent to win. Like Mew2King says 'Camp until you get a hit, then follow that hit as far as you can, and then go back'. This can mean everything. You got a hit, he's off the stage. Edgeguard him, you hitted him again, juggle phase, etc.

My advice is just like M2K's. Play safe, but take advantage of your opponent's situation whenever you can. For example, vs IC's. If you see them cornered, and you weakened their shield with down airs, a SH tornado would be the best choice since they're cornered and can't block it. But camping on your side, being scared to approach, is gonna allow him to come out harmless of a situation you should be taking advantage of.

By the way! Donation Fund for CT Zero For Apex 2013 http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14981372#post14981372

TSM ZeRo

So cool how you say that Zero like **** everybody I am going to win! love that spirrit.
If you wanna be the best, you have to honestly believe that you can be the best. Like Will Smith's famouse line during 'The Pursuit of Happyness' "You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let somebody tell you... you can't do something. Not even me."

Here's the clip actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPnudujlBZI

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Also, Will Smith is the man.

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
Hey ZeRo! Do you have any tips on how to improve my reaction time? Cause I'm having trouble powershielding and SDI-ing. Also, who is your favorite MK to watch?

TSM ZeRo

Hey ZeRo! Do you have any tips on how to improve my reaction time? Cause I'm having trouble powershielding and SDI-ing. Also, who is your favorite MK to watch?
A friend of mine is a professional taekwondo player and I asked him the same question. He gave me this answer:

"The body relies on two kind of energies. Immediate energy cells, and long-term energy cells. Immediate energy cells are handy for when you need to take immediate action about something. And long term allow you to stay energetic for long days, such as tournament days. The best way to get both kind of cells is to excercise. For immediate energy cells, I reccomend you to do push ups with one hand while having an alarm, or have someone say a keyword, and as soon as that alarm sounds, or the keyword is said, you need to immediatly get up in your feet and yell 'I'm ready'. Do it 3-5 times a day. For long-term energy cells, I reccomend you to run 30Mins/1Hour daily. Both excercises will greatly improve your cell pool in both areas, and allow you play better overall."

My favorite MK player to watch is CT Mew2King. The true inventor of MK.

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
That sounds cool, and I need to excercise anyways xD Thanks for the tip :D And M2K is my favorite MK too. Any specific video of him that's your favorite?

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Well Zero I am kind of a guy like that although I do take other opinions really srs. Like when sombody says Your MK is worse then your Snake. I will actualy think about that. Evern though MK is really a hero for me.

TSM ZeRo

Well Zero I am kind of a guy like that although I do take other opinions really srs. Like when sombody says Your MK is worse then your Snake. I will actualy think about that. Evern though MK is really a hero for me.
Considering other people's opinion is fine (Such as tips, or things to work on). But allowing someone to tell you what you can't do, is something you should never agree with.

By the way guys, please comment/bump in my Apex donation fund thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=328901

Thanks in advance!

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I think I am a very bad player. Can this affect how fast I improve at the game or how I play? I know this is not a metaknight related question but I just wanted to know.

TSM ZeRo

I think I am a very bad player. Can this affect how fast I improve at the game or how I play? I know this is not a metaknight related question but I just wanted to know.
It affects how well you can do, than how fast you can learn/improve. You should change your word use. Saying 'I have a lot to learn' is a much more positive comment than 'I'm very bad', but still implies that you need to get better.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou. That's a very good idea. If I say that I have a lot to learn, I will be more likely to learn what I need to know.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Zero, you are such an inspirational player! I'll be sure to donate in the next couple weeks, but how did you get so...idk able to process this game so well? I took my smash notebook to WHOBO, and I've started writing in it after every ladder match/every time I practice or learn something, but what's in your smash notebook? I feel like I'm missing something or could be doing better w/ it.

Yeah, but how do you process this game so well and able to view everything in a logical sense? Any recommendations for players that have more right-sided brains like me? (I'm not that logical about things, don't know if that helps/hurts my game).

TSM ZeRo

Zero, you are such an inspirational player! I'll be sure to donate in the next couple weeks, but how did you get so...idk able to process this game so well? I took my smash notebook to WHOBO, and I've started writing in it after every ladder match/every time I practice or learn something, but what's in your smash notebook? I feel like I'm missing something or could be doing better w/ it.

Yeah, but how do you process this game so well and able to view everything in a logical sense? Any recommendations for players that have more right-sided brains like me? (I'm not that logical about things, don't know if that helps/hurts my game).
Hmmm, just practicing like all I can! And also by having a huuuuuuuge dedication become world champion which is my goal! I'm practicing right now for example (My setup has my laptop and wii right next to each other).

My Smash laptop has videos and notes of a lot of players. And notes about what I've found that's worthy to further develop, or what I should focus on in my next practice sessions, or simply random notes.

It's the experience! I've been playing in tournaments for almost 7 years now! I just see things from 'the inside' after playing so much!

That's a hard one. I'd say try to understand why things really happen. Basically, understand the 'roots' of things. Get to the bottom of things. Analyze things based on priorities. That's what I do. Why is Falco a good character? Because of his chain grab, camping game and attacks with a lot of priorty and quickness. Why is Mew2King so good? Because he forces you into situations where you can't do anything. See? I'm getting to the bottom of things right away. Then when you know why things are really happening, you can begin to find solutions around them. Vs Falco: Don't get grabbed, don't trade with him and don't get camped for free! Vs M2K: Understand his setups and find their weaknesses!

With the experience, you begin to understand things in a different way. Keep playing and improving!

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Well He does =)
When I read his stuff I am like "wut?" at first but then I am like "wow everthing he says makes so much sence."

Also Jason How are you doing lately?

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
*Who were the best players that you played at the last APEX and why?

*How are you and Quik practicing for Apex doubles since you live so far away from each other?

*How do you view %s and the whole screen? What do you pay attention to most during singles and doubles?

Also I added you on fb, my name: Gerrad Walker

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Zero you come to final destination <3
I am going cuze it's in Germany and I live in Netherlands so it's easy for me to go.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Yesterday I went to a tournament and lost round 1 to a :falco: player who I've beaten with :dedede: in tournament before (I'm very bad at this match-up before I have their habits down, and I get very frustrated). I then was 1-1 with a :wario: player whom I've always beaten (he two stocked me game 2 on Smashville). I stopped and evaluated my mindset, realized that I was being frustrated and trying to hard read to much instead of following my previous game plan of going by instinct and keep an eye out for obvious habits. I went on to dominate the :wario:'s last stock on Frigate and then kept my mind set up through Loser's Bracket. I two stocked many of my opponents including the :popo: who beat me the week before. My difference vs. :popo: was a combination of correcting the error I made before (going in when I knew it wasn't safe and allowing him to corner himself when he tried to retreat or roll away in reaction to my Dairs and a silly SD on his part game 3. I was then 2-0 in Grand Finals vs. Ryo's :ike:, where I had a motivational issue in conjunction with him out-playing me, so he then swept the rest of the set for the win.

I'm once again happy to see improvement, but I want to win next time!

TSM ZeRo

*Who were the best players that you played at the last APEX and why?

*How are you and Quik practicing for Apex doubles since you live so far away from each other?

*How do you view %s and the whole screen? What do you pay attention to most during singles and doubles?

Also I added you on fb, my name: Gerrad Walker
Mew2King (I practiced with him before the tournament, though), DEHF, Otori and Rich brown were in my opinion the best players/most fun players I played at Apex.

We're developing strategies, and we're also practicing one week in-person before the tournament.

I only look at percents when I send my opponent flying, or want to check something really quick. However, 99% of the time I'm staring at my opponent. Singles: my opponent. Doubles: The opponent that is closer to me and then my partner's surroundings.

FR Accepted!

Zero you come to final destination <3
I am going cuze it's in Germany and I live in Netherlands so it's easy for me to go.
There's a chance. But I'm currently focusing 100% in Apex.

Yesterday I went to a tournament and lost round 1 to a :falco: player who I've beaten with :dedede: in tournament before (I'm very bad at this match-up before I have their habits down, and I get very frustrated). I then was 1-1 with a :wario: player whom I've always beaten (he two stocked me game 2 on Smashville). I stopped and evaluated my mindset, realized that I was being frustrated and trying to hard read to much instead of following my previous game plan of going by instinct and keep an eye out for obvious habits. I went on to dominate the :wario:'s last stock on Frigate and then kept my mind set up through Loser's Bracket. I two stocked many of my opponents including the :popo: who beat me the week before. My difference vs. :popo: was a combination of correcting the error I made before (going in when I knew it wasn't safe and allowing him to corner himself when he tried to retreat or roll away in reaction to my Dairs and a silly SD on his part game 3. I was then 2-0 in Grand Finals vs. Ryo's :ike:, where I had a motivational issue in conjunction with him out-playing me, so he then swept the rest of the set for the win.

I'm once again happy to see improvement, but I want to win next time!
This is excellent. I'm glad that you're improving. Keep it up man, good job. Make sure to practice your mechanics! (tech skill): http://clashtournaments.com/?p=290

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Well Good luck with that at least. My goal for FD will be to win. I will try to contact Mr-R and ask him if I can come for a trainings day with him. This way My changes will get better.

TSM ZeRo

Well Good luck with that at least. My goal for FD will be to win. I will try to contact Mr-R and ask him if I can come for a trainings day with him. This way My changes will get better.
Good idea! I got the chance to chill with him for a bit at Atomsk's house, and he's the man. Very good player and person.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I know =) I only met him once because I wasn't really active last moths but yeah. I could learn so much from playing him and atm I really think I could improve if it only was for the motivation thats driving me atm.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Do you ever take notes on players habits?
I am terrible at adjusting to my opponents so I had an idea to fix the problem. In between online matches, I will quickly go on my computer and right down any habits I find from my opponent. After I finish playing my opponent, I will look at the notes I took of the habits and try to think of ways to punish/counter those habits. I can find habits easily most of the time but I usually dont know how to punish those habits so I quickly forget them.

TSM ZeRo

Do you ever take notes on players habits?
I am terrible at adjusting to my opponents so I had an idea to fix the problem. In between online matches, I will quickly go on my computer and right down any habits I find from my opponent. After I finish playing my opponent, I will look at the notes I took of the habits and try to think of ways to punish/counter those habits. I can find habits easily most of the time but I usually dont know how to punish those habits so I quickly forget them.
Yes. Every advantage helps!

That's actually a very good thing to do. Keep writing those habits down and thinking of ways to beat them. You're on a very good way to improve!

I know =) I only met him once because I wasn't really active last moths but yeah. I could learn so much from playing him and atm I really think I could improve if it only was for the motivation thats driving me atm.
Keep it up!

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPeKNxCsJvY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb6phWow6-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdm1oodE8Qk

Zero this was me vs a mario main from my school. He isn't great but I at least can try out things and change a bit of my playstyle. The sacond vid is an part from the first one but my recorder did Cut it and I can't change it to one vid without making the quality really bad. The 3th vid are MY IC''s vs the same player.
Just have some questions
WHat am I doing wrong on CS? and How does my tech skill and gameplay overal look?

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Zero, what should I do to pump myself up more and be more confident in my game when I still feel like there is so much more to learn and improve at? I already have the Flux guide printed out and I will definitely work on that more. But what else can I do?

TSM ZeRo

Zero, what should I do to pump myself up more and be more confident in my game when I still feel like there is so much more to learn and improve at? I already have the Flux guide printed out and I will definitely work on that more. But what else can I do?
I like to listen to music I enjoy/is epic and picture myself achieving my current goals. Immediate chills down my spine, and huge drive to practice ASAP.

Big news!

I combined my Q/A Thread with CT Mew2King over at: http://clashtournaments.com/?page_id=423

If you have any questions, or want gameplay review, feel free to ask there! M2K, or I will answer them in the best way we can.

Player 4, could you please lock this thread? Thanks in advance!

Greetings!

TSM ZeRo

Back on the business guys! Now with a new program that I'd like to introduce to you guys.
CT ZeRo's Coaching program!

You can ask me all you want, ask me to critique your videos, ask me to explain you concepts, match ups or characters. Anything related to the game, and I will use all my experience as a top player to help you out as much as I can. I will be essentially, your Smash coach. I love the community and I want to help it to grow. But this takes time especially since I do it with love, so speaking about grow right now I'm trying to grow as a Twitch TV broadcaster, a YouTuber and also help out Clashtournaments achieve new heights on the same media channels. But to do this, I need follows and subscribers. So I thought of a method that will achieve this grow while also helping out the people that do it (And we want to grow to reach out to more people and help them out with our content. Clashtournaments is a business dedicated to helping eSports as a whole grow, and this obviously includes our lovely Smash community. And I'm dedicated completely to helping our community grow in all aspects. Competitively, in numbers and positiveness. So essentially, you help us so we can help out more people (And you!) with our content and also provide better content too. So it's a win-win situation for the community 101%!

Now, this works out like this: You will follow in Twitch TV and YouTube the following channels:

STEP 1:
My channels:

Clashtournaments:

STEP2: You tell me the names that you've followed/subscribed with and I will then check for your name.

STEP3: Enjoy having me as your Smash coach!

It's as simple as that guys. Enjoy and spread the word and links around! (ESPECIALLY this thread).

Top Bottom