• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique us!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I notice you linked to the matches where I was sucking ***. Hm... I know your plan. You're trying to make everyone think you're better than me! Well, they'd've thought that anyway.

Edit: Also, link to the match of your mario jumping out of my gonzo combo after the fthrow. That's sure to get some discussion up...

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Um... I think I have that one on a replay. *hopes*. I can send a few replays to Asdioh or someone and they can upload them... huh.

Edit: Nope. Don't have that replay. *sigh*. Well, if we brawl and it happens again, don't be surprised if I no contest it.
I thought you said Asidoh left Smashboards? Wait....we gotta stay on topic please.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Edit: Also, link to the match of your mario jumping out of my gonzo combo after the fthrow. That's sure to get some discussion up...
Don't have time to watch it right now (hell, I really don't even have time to be on this site to tell you the truth...), but I just want to comment on this really fast.

I jump out of Falco's CG pretty consistently too. I probably could jump out of Pika's too, but I usually Nair. Mario can jump out of pretty much everything but D3's infinite it seems.

Oh, and Mario's Nair is actually better for interrupting the Gonzo combo, since it will beat the Uair.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I didn't watch it all, but it seemed like more tilts were needed. As well as less predictable recoveries.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
First off, in the future, could you guys please post this in the RATE MY KIRBY thread? Everyone complains that thread is dead, but that's because people keep flooding the place with new threads for their videos... Anyway, on to the actual critique (since I actually have time today for once).

Even with a good connection, you still get some lag, but got it.

Oh boy guys... It looks like you're both trying to do all the more advanced techniques and completely neglecting the more basic ones (relatively speaking).

First for Pac Man (Yellow Kirby):

-First and foremost: WAY too many hammers. I thought you were just trying to get that sliding hammer thing Gonzo mentioned the first match, but then you just kept using them. Cut that out. Hammer is used for recovering and if the opponent isn't expecting it, an attack, but really never grounded. (It IS good for punishing ADs if you're in the right place though.)

-You only turn your back to him when you want to Bair, making it very predictable. Mix it up with RAR approaches and/or hopping to/away from him with your back turned without trying to attack him *every* time to keep him guessing.

-When you have 2-3 jumps or less, don't try to gimp, and DEFINITELY don't FF it (can't remember if you did or not), just get back on. I know it can be tempting, but it can also be disasterous, as you noticed. Plus it's easier to stop them from just grabbing the ledge, than to attempt to gimp and recover. Basically what I mean is you have time to grab the ledge and consider gimping (sometimes other aerials can achieve this too), and this is safer than what you were doing.

-MOAR Utilt! (Meh, I need to follow this myself too... I've more or less phased this move out from playing against MK so much...)

-Rising Dair and rising Nairs will not work on grounded opponents (except maybe huge ones). Best to make them descending if you use them.

-You didn't do too many stones, but when you did, they were fairly predictable.

-You seem to roll after every time you shield. Don't. (I do this with spotdodge too. VERY bad habit.)

-Don't roll after shielding FC. Punish!

-Don't roll when Dthrow tech chasing. Follow, shield if you need to, but NEVER roll. You ended up with your back to him when he landed, and considering you were still in the roll animation, that was very bad.

-You try to Fsmash too much. It will be stale by the time you really need it. Just use it when you think you KNOW it will hit (it may still not always hit, but opportunities for the move will arise if you give them the time. On top of that, if it stays fresh, it will scare your opponent when they get to kill percents since they will focus on avoiding the Fsmash. At that point don't focus on just using it until it hits. Just keep playing normally and something will pop up.)

-No inhales? Really?

I will have more to say, but I ave to go brawl now, so I'll see to it tomorrow if I have time. (hell, there might be some for you guys to comment on tomorrow too...)

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I've actually done a lot of that already, fromundaman... in the past few days. I can really feel my game getting better. I brawl a lot now... I'm afraid if I stop, I'll miss out on my opportunity. Also, I play a lot of good people, and my grounded hammer does more than you'd really think. I always mix in some dash attacks and grabs, so they spotdodge as my hammer is coming out (:)). And stone... especially on Yoshi's Island (brawl), I use it a lot. Not spamming; I only use grounded hammer and stone when I think there's a good opening... and when I brawl there, there are a lot of good openings. I KO'd a sonic who was at 60% AFTER my stone hit him when he was trying to uprise... I get a lot of low % kills with the sliding hammer (but I still do dash attacks and grabs at those percents, so they never know). And I've noticed that people, after you juggle them twice with utilt, never expect you to reverse fsmash them. Seriously, using what I've done in the past 2 days, I've beaten a lot of people who I consider better than me.

But at the same time, there was a lot of stuff you said that I still do (the trying to gimp with 2 jumps, which, BTW, I didn't fastfall), the fsmashes, too much rolling, predictable rolling, etc.

Well, I've rambled on long enough about basically nothing. Lion out.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
His name is Pineapple not PacMan.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
But he makes Pac Man noises, he's Yellow, he's round, and he eats things! It's Pac Man!

A1lionrocks
Yes he does, and, from those videos, predictably >.<
Meh, it's similar to a problem I have though. I keep wanting to stone mindgame my friend, but I should know by now that rock ANYWHERE vs MK = SL to the face.

But anyway, I was just commenting on the matches you posted, and of those, the hammer was very inneffective, used too often to really be a surprise tactic, and really all around bad. The rock was predictable as well. In most cases though, even if they spotdodge, if they hold the shield button they'll reappear and perfect shield it, unless of course your timing is godlike.
Also, in general, the rock glitch on Brinstar will work once in the match against someone who doesn't know it; maybe twice if you got knocked over it, but if you've already used it and go to the place to use it, your opponent should kjnow better and just wait it out and punish.

The gimping with few jumps left is probably something all Kirbies should heed to. I know I see too many people doing this, and far too often do I catch myself doing it (and by that I mean like twice a game at times... I should know better ****it!).

kevinw0w

Smash Journeyman
First off, in the future, could you guys please post this in the RATE MY KIRBY thread? Everyone complains that thread is dead, but that's because people keep flooding the place with new threads for their videos...
I think each person deserves their own thread when making these... just my opinion though.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
First off, in the future, could you guys please post this in the RATE MY KIRBY thread? Everyone complains that thread is dead, but that's because people keep flooding the place with new threads for their videos...
I think each person deserves their own thread when making these... just my opinion though.
There's also less chance of them being seen if they are in 500 different threads.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
well...
The yellow kirby was a bit too predictable. Fsmash is a good kill move when it isn't stale, but it's easily punished when you miss. Mixing in jabs will let you better defend against a grab punish, and you should generally use tilts over smashes to rack up damage (but you said you knew that you didn't use enough tilts) :p. Ground hammer can be useful once in a while, but it seemed like you were just trying it a lot hoping that it would work a couple times. Mixing in different moves a lot more (jab to punish shieldgrabbing, fair and bair in place of aerial hammer) would liven up your game and keep your kill moves from getting stale.

The pink kirby was reading the yellow kirby pretty well. He punished the chances the yellow kirby took, gimped him well, and was generally prepared for what the opponent did. The stones in the 3rd match were good mindgames lol. As far as gimping though, when the yellow kirby was approaching slightly underneath FD in the first two matches, a uair stagespike could have worked pretty well, but it would've been risky to try. Also, dthrow is a reliable damage racker and combo starter in the midgame, using it more often can't hurt?

I'm not particularly experienced myself, but...I hope my opinion is helpful!

Top Bottom