• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique our Fox updated 11-24-08

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
I know my fox isnt that great but i want some comment from the fox board and how can i improve and stuff. Thanks in advance on those who gives me and my girlfriend good advice. My brawl name is Katsu. I'm also gonna leave a section for my girlfriend who is Tina or Tuna. When you critique me or my girlfriend can you refer on who you are critiquing? It'll make it much more easier for me to know what are you talking about. Thanks in advance again

Katsu
Katsu(Fox) vs. Tina(Fox)
11-2-08
Katsu(Fox) vs. Neji(Link) 5
11-13-08
Katsu(Fox) vs. Zez(Meta Knight)
11-16-08
Katsu(Fox) vs. A6M(Fox)
Katsu(Fox) vs. JASON(King Dedede)
11-20-08
Katsu(Fox) vs. Cpt.B(Falco)

Katsu vs. Tina
11-20-08
Katsu(Fox) vs. Tina(Fox)
Katsu(Fox) vs. Tina(Fox) 3
11-24-08
Katsu(Fox) vs. Tuna(Fox)

Tuna
Tuna(Fox) vs EXIA(Meta Knight) 1
Tuna(Fox) vs. EXIA(Meta Knight) 2
Tuna(Fox) vs. Baka!(Pit) 1
Tuna(Fox) vs. Baka!(Pit) 2
Tuna(Fox) vs. Baka!(Pit) 3
11-2-08
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Wolf) 1
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Link) 2
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Marth) 3
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Ike) 4
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Ike) 1
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Ike) 2
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Ike) 3
11-13-08
Tina(Fox) vs. Alex(Mr. Game and Watch)
Tina(Fox) vs. Henry(Fox) 1
Tina(Fox) vs. Henry(Fox) 2
11-16-08
Tina(Fox) vs. JASON(Snake) 1
Tina(Fox) vs. JASON(Snake) 2
11-20-08
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Ike)
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Link)
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Marth)
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Wolf)
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Falco)
Katsu(Ike) vs. Tina(Fox)
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Link) 2
11-24-08
Tuna(Fox) vs. EXIA(Meta Knight) 3
Tuna(Fox) vs. EXIA(Meta Knight) 2
Tuna(Fox) vs. EXIA(Meta Knight) 1
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Marth)
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Falco)
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Marth) 2Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Link)
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Wolf)
Tina(Fox) vs. Katsu(Link)
Tina(Fox) vs. AWSUM(Marth)
Tina(Fox) vs. AWSUM(Link)

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Your knowledge of Fox theory seems to be fine, but a lot of this just seems like it'll take practice.

When you get into range of close up attacking, you seem lost, especially on the ground. You get hit by Dsmash a lot. Also, you're a bit frivolous with your grabs. Don't depend on them so much.

More use of Nair/Bair. They're wonderful tools. Don't use Fsmash nearly as much. On that note, use Dsmash more. I think you can tell how good it is.

Any specific parts of your game that you're looking to improve?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Your on the right track if you consistently wear the standard outfit:). But ya fsmash is pretty bad, you should usually only be using dsmash and usmash.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Your knowledge of Fox theory seems to be fine, but a lot of this just seems like it'll take practice.

When you get into range of close up attacking, you seem lost, especially on the ground. You get hit by Dsmash a lot. Also, you're a bit frivolous with your grabs. Don't depend on them so much.

More use of Nair/Bair. They're wonderful tools. Don't use Fsmash nearly as much. On that note, use Dsmash more. I think you can tell how good it is.

Any specific parts of your game that you're looking to improve?
I want to know when is a good time to use bair and what to follow attacks to follow with. I know bair can auto cancel but i cant seem to get the timing down sometimes.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Ahhhh so many fsmashes! =D Fsmash I guess when your opponent is rolling or if they are stupid.

More PWG please. Like when your opponent is in the air, start running towards them. You will usually get the PWG easy.

I prefer RARing the Bair into an uptilt. It's pretty nifty.

Less drill. Save for upsmash killer.

NEEDS MORE WHITE FOX!!!!

Rukh

Smash Rookie
Never use D-tilt. Ever. You tried and got burned, it's an all around horrible move.

Try to approach less with dash attacks. Approach less period. You should be responding to your opponents approach and punishing their lag, not providing them opportunity to shield+grab or roll+smash. Along these same lines, make sure your drill attack is positioned to land behind the opponent if you do choose to approach.

Until you've practiced more, don't try being so fancy with AT grabs. Just do standards or not at all.

You've got better than average ability but spacing, response and approaching needs work. I'd also suggest (and no this is not a troll) practicing on Falco. If you're going to invest a lot of time into character improvement, you should be doing it on a character with better potential. I mained Fox for years and am moving to Falco myself.

Rukh

Smash Rookie
Thanks ill try not to use fsmash that much next time. When is the appropriate time to use fsmash?

EDIT: sorry for the double post.
Almost never; it doesn't connect until Fox has rotated upside down, and has a lot of lag. Tina uses it a lot which is probably why you try as well. Spot dodge and punish or time a FF - Nair into the starting animation

Rukh

Smash Rookie
^ Yeah, I love the ******* but Falco simply has more tools to win matches. I still play Fox a lot in friendlies.

Also, on the illusion recovery where you were edged, an F-air after the jump into a Firefox would have saved your life.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
- You didn't FF your D-air once and got U-smashed. You should be fast falling your D-airs from that height.
- Missed grabs due to overuse.
- Stop Illusion'ing towards the person when they have 3 seconds of prep time.
- F-smash is to be used when you can charge it and they are moving into it and can't get out of the way. Also, better closer to the edge.
- Dash attack blows. Use it perhaps as a quick surpriser during semi-close quarters. Best to use C-stick for it as using A will prompt a stutter step F-smash.
- You're too busy. And by busy I mean throwing out moves without the precision of connecting them. For example, excessively U-tilting 3 more times after they are well away from you, using SH aerials for no reason, and just randomly panic smashing (I love those people). At least your not rolling badly.
- Needs more D-air.

Overall: polish. Start to change your thought train in battle. Looks like you panic too much.

Ricardo (fox)

Smash Rookie
You have a decent fox, this is what you need to work on:

-You need (both of you) to work on your edge guarding skills man there were like 3 times were you could have ended it and prevented like a total of 45%.

- Lot of moves that don't accomplish nothing.

-Overuse the grabs.

-And just practice

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Never use D-tilt. Ever. You tried and got burned, it's an all around horrible move.
Nah, he had the right idea, with the spacing. It was just timing issues. Dtilt would've worked wonderfully if he didn't misinterpret spacing in this match, but at higher levels of play, it won't be nearly as useful.

Try to approach less with dash attacks. Approach less period. You should be responding to your opponents approach and punishing their lag, not providing them opportunity to shield+grab or roll+smash.
Fox v. Fox WHO WINS IN CAMPING?

Along these same lines, make sure your drill attack is positioned to land behind the opponent if you do choose to approach.
This is not a hard and fast rule either - landing at the back offers you very few options, and there is no doubt he would've eaten another Dsmash, at the rate that he was getting hit with them.

While you're giving general rules, it's also important to realize that each player is different, and needs improvement in different areas.

Thanks ill try not to use fsmash that much next time. When is the appropriate time to use fsmash?
If you catch your opponent trying to roll through you, most of the time.

I want to know when is a good time to use bair and what to follow attacks to follow with. I know bair can auto cancel but i cant seem to get the timing down sometimes.
Timing - just practice.
When to use? Whenever you are behind your opponent, trying to gimp someone recovering horizontally, and whenever you need a good retreating attack. It helps to think of it as a backwards Nair for now, although as you use it more, you'll find out it's quite different.

Rukh

Smash Rookie
Fox v. Fox WHO WINS IN CAMPING?

Her play looks very aggressive, he can punish that pretty easily by not approaching and exploiting weaknesses in her (read: Fox's) horrible by design approaches.

Someone always gives up on the waiting game. It can either be you, and you eat 20% or you can be patient for 30 more seconds and win the match.

But yes, I agree. When no one approaches in mirrors with reflectors, games = lose.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I only watched the first MK video, but I can say a few things. You surprised me with some things like being able to cancel the illusion as a fakeout.....that was pretty nice. I'll watch the other vids and comment more later but for now just learn how to SHDL and shine stall more.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
For the most part, you're doing fairly decently, Its good you know how to PWG and cancel the illusion. One thing that is really bugging me about your Fox right now:

Predictable

It shows most against the Pit; you won the first match, narrowly lost the second, and ate dirt on the third. 'Baka!' was catching on, he figured out your Fox and exploited your predictability.
I cannot stress enough the need to mix-up and mix-in maneuvers when using Fox. fox does not have a useless move, D-tilt comes close but it has uses. It is even possible to string illusion into "pseudo-combos" if you land it right. You had the right idea illusion canceling, making MK freak-out into a tornado, you need only apply that to the rest of your game.
Always have at least two different ways to do anything. that means anything.

other things:

-integrate the Fox-copter recovery technique {double-jump+F-air for extra height and distance} into your playstyle, there were times where it would've saved your stock.

-practice playing off the edge. many times against the Pit, there were times where you could've shined him out of his recovery yet didn't. Fox is gifted with a good recovery, take a few risks, follow your opponent off the edge and do something, even if only to make the nervous.

You've got the basics down, you just need to fill-in your playstyle with techniques. The best tactics are always the ones you figure out yourself, but it doesn't hurt to draw inspiration from others.

Binx

Smash Master
You didn't laser enough, you didn't apply pressure at the edge, you need to shield more, especially when he glide attacks you with MK, you kind of stand there and take it, even at times you had a long time to dodge it. Umm, you I noticed a part where you stayed above him and got hit like 5 times, if you would have just DIed towards the middle of the stage you could have saved yourself a lot of damage, when you grab you never capitalize on the momentum shift. At the VERY least after a throw you should try and laser to force his approach, but also you could try and apply some pressure by attacking unexpectedly after some throws. Umm, you use upsmash so much that it can't kill as low as it's supposed to... thats all I have right now.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Just updated with one vid of my fox and more vids for my girlfriend's fox. Please give us some constructive criticism and some strong points we have. Thank you.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I only watched one video, against a Link. I think your Wolf is stronger to be honest.

I saw too much d/f-smash. Fast fall your aerials more often.

And try to recover directly to the edge. There were several occasions where you tried to recover to the stage and you got punished. Mix it up.

Again, I only saw one video, so it's hard to determine your skill level with Fox from one video.

Overall, you're decent. More practice will allow you to refine your skills.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Oh god if your girlfriend faught me she would never get a stock off.

In all seriousness though, less dash grabs, less U-smash, less falling F-airs, and get a cleaner aerial game. Seems like every move she made had a flaw in it. Charge at a gliding MK with a dash grab...? Really? Really?

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys i updated the thread with more vids. Ill upload the other ones later. Again constructive criticism is much appreciated. Can you tell me and my girlfriend here what are our strong points and weak points ect. ect. Thanks in advance.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Hey guys i updated the thread with more vids. Ill upload the other ones later. Again constructive criticism is much appreciated. Can you tell me and my girlfriend here what are our strong points and weak points ect. ect. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like there's a pattern here. You have to develop strengths on your own as well otherwise you'll just be playing "another" Fox.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Well, don't just take a slew of comments then make some more vids and keep repeating the process. You may end up with no improvement whatsoever. There's also developing your own style and research and then when you hit the next block of skill you can try again. But I guess it's okay now.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Well, don't just take a slew of comments then make some more vids and keep repeating the process. You may end up with no improvement whatsoever. There's also developing your own style and research and then when you hit the next block of skill you can try again. But I guess it's okay now.
I see what you mean. Well me and my girlfriend are trying to improve and stuff and my girlfriend kind of developed her own style of using fair and stuff. Well anyways i uploaded more vids of my girlfriend's fox. Can you critique her please. Thanks in advance.

TheNovaKing

Smash Rookie
Mmm...

Your Fox really isn't that good, you're using too many attacks and not landing enough. That is your major issue, your Illusion happy sometimes, you don't FF your Dairs and that move has awful priority in the first place, you can't hope to out prioritize a G & W, you have you out play a G & W. And that G & W wasn't that fantastic in the first place.

You've gotten better since the first video, but for the love of god, please concentrate on landing more attacks instead of barraging your opponent with them, you'll find a lot more success. And the shine is a great move agains G & W, most of them never expect it.

Yaya

Smash Champion
You guys are funny.

You don't play with the Game Cube Controller I bet.

(Oops, wrong account. This is A6M)

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
Really?

Work on controlling your character better, space nicer, ect.

You need to get better at brawl before you can get better at Fox.

inb4 Clouderz can play MK but noone else.

Top Bottom