• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creepy Candy Store Mafia | GAME OVER!

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
@ RosalinaSGS RosalinaSGS you should vote JD when next you're on. The lack of Seal vote would at least clear me and him from being scum buddies (or me and Gheb), though the possibility for the two of us would still remain.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Hmmm, do I want the hammer decision to be up to Seal? I don't think so but we're also running out of our deadline extension toDy and we need a lynch -.-

@ RosalinaSGS RosalinaSGS Vote Dietz asap or speak up if you think somebody else should be lynched.
@ Seal Seal Lay your cards on the table next post and tell us who you're gonna vote between Dietz and Zen. I'll definitely vote Zen.

:059:

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, do I want the hammer decision to be up to Seal? I don't think so but we're also running out of our deadline extension toDy and we need a lynch -.-

@ RosalinaSGS RosalinaSGS Vote Dietz asap or speak up if you think somebody else should be lynched.
@ Seal Seal Lay your cards on the table next post and tell us who you're gonna vote between Dietz and Zen. I'll definitely vote Zen.

Uhhh, I'm still sorta leaning towards zen. However, I'm going to be as sure as I can be in my choice before I vote.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
However, I'm going to be as sure as I can be in my choice before I vote.
Stop this ****. You've been stalling way too long already. If you lean towards lynching Zen now you won't suddenly change your mind in the remaining ~7 hours or so. Vote him in your next post or else I'll lynch you, I'm dead serious.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
And with that, Seal and Dietz, the scum (tell them your respective roles cuz im too lazy to look em up and forgot em since they werent even used) swept town!

overall... nobody did particularly well. town was in a broad aspect all over the place and/or inherently not contributing (the first two god damn lynches in a 9 man were weeding out inactives, come on man), while scum played the just enough game. it snagged em a win so props to them but town beat itself here.

seal, dont think you played it well. you were let off the hook A LOT because there was a lot of other dumb going on. situationally, ill say props for not putting yourself in a position that required you to be too in the limelight, but let it be known that your evasive play... shouldnt fly in a regular setting. when people ask you things, be straightforward. dont give shoddy answers as to why x y and z. come up with logical reasons for what you say your thoughts are. youre clearly not dumb, which is why i thought it was weird that everyone basically let your open-ended answers fly.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
So, proven twice in one game that lynching inactives is a terrible policy.
Can we all admit that now?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
No it's not. How would having Ruy or FiE in this day have been any better? It's not lynching inactives that's the problem. It's the inactivity itself.

#HBC | Gorf

absolutely not. lynching inactives was the right call here because there was no other clear path.

d1- maven, the lynch candidate, claimed soon before deadline. scramble scramble, the town agrees fie's activity level isnt worth him living since nobodys activity is scummy enough to warrant lynch.

d2- ruy lurked as town (lurking is like the scummy version of being inactive), drew attention to himself, deserved the noose.

by d3 there was one genuine inactive left... and he was scum.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Well, it seems to me that in this game we were looking so hard at the inactives we looked right past the scummy plays.

#HBC | Gorf

the scummy plays were overshadowed by (pretty bad) activity. seal got to lurk, and dietz got to make slight interjections that WERE questioned. what was the main focal point? peoples hardon for zens unorthodox play (who btw i think named the scumteam d2 at one point).

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I don't really want to argue with people more experienced though. Doesn't really matter because I most likely won't being playing mafia anymore.
It just isn't for me.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
I was the guy who could actually choose to eat the candy and Dietz was the goon/Roleblocker.

This was a pretty fun game, but I'm kinda sad that I never had any reason to eat the candy since maven got found out so quickly. It was a cool ability. Thanks for hosting, Gorf.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
seal, dont think you played it well. you were let off the hook A LOT because there was a lot of other dumb going on. situationally, ill say props for not putting yourself in a position that required you to be too in the limelight, but let it be known that your evasive play... shouldnt fly in a regular setting. when people ask you things, be straightforward. dont give shoddy answers as to why x y and z. come up with logical reasons for what you say your thoughts are. youre clearly not dumb, which is why i thought it was weird that everyone basically let your open-ended answers fly.
To be fair, the time I was most inactive was not actually in my control. I was purposely evasive at times, but most of the time, I just wasn't online. As for the other stuff you're probably right.

I don't really want to argue with people more experienced though. Doesn't really matter because I most likely won't being playing mafia anymore.
It just isn't for me.
Same for me. Unless I see a really interesting game I doubt I'll play. The way that the game is played here just isn't as fun for me.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Sorry I was told the internet was fixed but it broke right away, my apologies for this.

I played terrible and deserve every level of hate for it.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Sarcastic to the end...
Not being sarcastic. Just playing around. :smash:
Well, it seems to me that in this game we were looking so hard at the inactives we looked right past the scummy plays.
Well we weren't really looking into them as there was nothing to look at. We just eliminated unknown variables when town could not come to a consensus on something better. Seal was able to get by by being slightly more active than the other two inactives. He was as much of a black box as the other two.

As Gorf said, town did poorly on a whole and scum did just as much as they needed to to win. JD actually did really well in playing to town's suspicions. That twisting the situation thingy to make his logic seem legit made all of us unsure of whether or not his play was scum motivated or not. Even after that long case on him, I still couldn't tell if he was just being dense or scum.

Gheb, Rosalin, and I should have really stuck together. We were all adamantly proactive throughout the game, but we let paranoia get the best of us, letting the two slots that clearly weren't doing anything to help the town get by. If we stuck true to the lynch inactives and anti-town's then we could have achieved victory. It was not staying true to it that was the down fall in my opinion, not the other way around.

It just isn't for me.
As I said earlier, you played really well. This was just a bad game. I felt it was destined to doom since the beginning due to the inactivity, and me v maven just made it worse. I'm really sorry for that. As I said, I'm also done with mafia for a while, but I do recommend you try just one more. One that is activity enforced. I feel like you're just right at the point of being a baller.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Sorry I was told the internet was fixed but it broke right away, my apologies for this.

I played terrible and deserve every level of hate for it.
I think the best thing you can do is not prod dodge. If you're not going to be able to post, just wait until you can instead of avoiding a prod by making a post of promised activity. If you've reached the amount of prods it takes that force you to replace out, it clearly shows that you do not have the time needed to invest in the game.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think the best thing you can do is not prod dodge. If you're not going to be able to post, just wait until you can instead of avoiding a prod by making a post of promised activity. If you've reached the amount of prods it takes that force you to replace out, it clearly shows that you do not have the time needed to invest in the game.
issue was I thought I could post but it didn't happen.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Ah well, I didn't think it would end well. On the bright side, at least I read Zen correctly.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Inactivity and hesitation killed us. We didn't even get a chance to legit hunt scum before D3 when it was already lylo and even then it was almost all Zen and me playing it out.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Inactivity and hesitation killed us. We didn't even get a chance to legit hunt scum before D3 when it was already lylo and even then it was almost all Zen and me playing it out.

lol too true. At the end I kind of gave up.

Maven89

Smash Master
Side note: Zenny's quote of me saying "you can try" was one of the reasons he thought I was scum, but didn't want to post it because he knew he couldn't get others to believe him. Zenny kept asking why I thought him, as scum, would be so risky, and I didn't answer for the same reason, dealing with the same quote. When he quoted me saying that with "LOL" I thought he was just laughing at my ability to defend myself, followed up with a giant push. So I just assumed Zenny thought I was terrible and he could get away with lynching me for crap.

I still don't get why I was almost lynched though

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Side note: Zenny's quote of me saying "you can try" was one of the reasons he thought I was scum, but didn't want to post it because he knew he couldn't get others to believe him. Zenny kept asking why I thought him, as scum, would be so risky, and I didn't answer for the same reason, dealing with the same quote. When he quoted me saying that with "LOL" I thought he was just laughing at my ability to defend myself, followed up with a giant push. So I just assumed Zenny thought I was terrible and he could get away with lynching me for crap.

I still don't get why I was almost lynched though
I get the feeling it was due to my conflict with 'you' (who actually turned out to be Orbo) and Gheb's push on you. I brought you into the spotlight entirely by accident, and things took off from there unfortunately.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I may try out another game, I guess I'll just see.
I still think that lynching Zen in place of Ryu could've led us to victory. With a town flip we'd have someone who a ton of people thought was scum gone, thus narrowing the lynch-pool, and then we could look at his cases against Dietz in a new light.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Then we would've had to deal with an internet-less Ryu, an inactive Seal, a Dietz who'd only do the absolute minimum and Rosie who'd take forever and a day to take a stance. Would've sucked just as much.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, proven twice in one game that lynching inactives is a terrible policy.
Can we all admit that now?
Nope, because if they'd sacked up and lynched Seal for not contributing they wouldn't have been stuck in lylo with him being able to pair with literally anyone and still having more to deal with. It was bad, but it was the lesser of two evils caused by low activity levels. The real problem is there were town members, sometimes through reasons outside of their control, contributing less than a honest to goodness lurking scum slot.

Last edited:

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tl:dr from my point of view we won this game on a combination of inactivity letting us lurk (no one actually questioned Seal or myself extremely hard until late in the game) and that the players who were making pushes were largely digging ditches for their graves. It was super easy to let Zen push Maven to claim-death and then leave himself looking terrible and discredited by the time he ever got around to suspecting either of us, at which point he was really the only one asking around in our direction. Just standing by and directing where things needed to go and keeping the distrust of alternative theories of how D1 and D2 had gone down was pretty easy at that point, and the intrinsic and otherwise unexplained mutual defense between Rosa and SOZ was easy pickings for an alternate scumteam, with Gheb and me being a reasonable backup if I was found out before anyone got enough info out of Seal to realize he'd been coasting more than even a new player should be able to.

No one ever even asked me my opinion on Seal or Rosa or made me back up why I thought Gheb was town (especially not Gheb himself, which made the fake-team easier to swing in the other player's eyes). There were plenty of things to question Seal about, especially the fact he had both me and Zen as scum reads despite our mutual pushings on each other (which should eliminate that as likely), and though of course it was never important enough for me to get town credit by asking such questions, but no one else ever did until moments before deadline when the lines were already drawn.

I still have no idea why Zen distrusted Gheb so much or what the Maven push was really founded on or how it got a free tracker out, but more than happy to help of course. Ryu's activity and internet crash wrote itself and FiE was an easy "okay let's do it" swing.

Overall, the only thing I really had to do was ration my contributions to just above the policy lynch levels to balance moving town towards meaningful activity/connections/discussion and making myself look fine. The little prods in the right direction were easy enough to make, most of it handled itself. Nightkill decisions were easy enough:

Maven claimed Tracker? Dead.
Jaytheunseen tried to valiantly pretend to be tracker? Dead.

I'm a bit relieved it worked out that way actually, had things gone a bit differently it would've been a tricky setup to be scum in. D1's events essentially forced us to play D2 with all the players who had played the best town games up until then still alive but at the cost of us knowing we had no PR nightmares to diffuse. On the otherhand, we had no powers that didn't simply mitigate said PR, so it was now a vanilla game where the overall "Mistakes allowed" counter was 3 to 2, marginally in Town's favor on paper.

I'm not sure what would have happend if Town's PR would've stayed in it. A part of me wanted to let Maven shoot Zen, but in the end I felt the destabilization of having Zen around longer was actually beneficial as long as I could keep him discredited until the final moments. It's why I was almost happy he swung a Ryu lynch last second D2 (with a little help from me bringing up the stark reality of Ryu's postings so far), it meant he was in Lylo instead of helping figure out the major camps on D3 by proving himself innocent by lynch, if of questionable decisionmaking so far

But that's just a spunky upstart candy clerk's perspective on it.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Waited for the game to end to share this.

Sorry this game I was really inactive, should've really declined since I knew I wasn't in the most active state at the time when the game started, but I learned my lesson. Don't be in games you lost interest in for the sake of others. My personal life just got in the way when the game started and it didn't really motivate me to play mafia even when I was available. I'm willing to take a majority of the responsibility for Town's loss tho. I felt really terrible about the inactivity this game had, sorry Gorf.
Anyways, my motivation is back at least and I hope other games aren't plagued with inactivity this was. Really feel bad tho that I was no help in the matter, and was sort of the root of the problem.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I may try out another game, I guess I'll just see.
I still think that lynching Zen in place of Ryu could've led us to victory. With a town flip we'd have someone who a ton of people thought was scum gone, thus narrowing the lynch-pool, and then we could look at his cases against Dietz in a new light.
It could've yes. In fact I would have argued for it as an omniscient Town for information reasons, but in the end Ryu would've unfortunately still been dead weight people would have to blindly bet the game on in Lylo afterwards.

If you can imagine a game where instead of Me/Seal/Zen/Gheb/Rosa there was Me/Seal/Ryu/Gheb/Rosa you could see where perhaps with enough convincing I may have been lynched (but pushed through by who if Zen is dead and can't speak?). After that you're left with Gheb/Seal/Ryu. And how do you solve that one? One player with close to zero content, one scum player intentionally playing with little to no input, and someone else stuck deciding who still might look reasonably scummy paired with a known-Scum Dietz. It's not all roses for sure.

I would definitely try another game, but perhaps wait for one that's going to see some action. This one was an example of what not to let happen to the actual state of the game itself rather than how mafia as the game is played.

Last edited:

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
JD actually did really well in playing to town's suspicions. That twisting the situation thingy to make his logic seem legit made all of us unsure of whether or not his play was scum motivated or not. Even after that long case on him, I still couldn't tell if he was just being dense or scum.

Why thank you sir. I did do my best to really straddle that line tweaking people's posts this game. I think you did pretty well trying to hunt people down too, but the way you did it also made some of your contributions the most easily warped by a couple of accusatory questions at the right time. The fuel was there, I just poked it with a stick to get a little attention to it.

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

so what do people think of the setup btw? i kinda wanna use it in the near future again (marathon mafia anyone O.O) and i think the mechanic is really worth seeing play out.

Top Bottom