• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crazy Hand v1.31 - Character editing program

Dabey Dargey

Smash Rookie
Im new to hacking but I don't understand how to run crazyhand. There is no program in the folder to run. I'm confused Help

Raw Input

Smash Rookie
I have Java, I even updated it today, but when i double click the jar it asks me to find the file I want to load and only accepts a .iso file. Anyone have an idea of what I am doing wrong?

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
I have Java, I even updated it today, but when i double click the jar it asks me to find the file I want to load and only accepts a .iso file. Anyone have an idea of what I am doing wrong?
All you need to do is double-click your melee ISO file to start editing it with Crazy Hand :)

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
What you may be misunderstanding is that the .iso file is the game itself. Crazy Hand doesn't include Melee's iso for legal reasons but you can find it easily online. Crazy Hand is just a program meant to modify the iso. Once you have acquired one, do as tater said.

papero106

Smash Rookie
How do I run this? When I downloaded the file at first, inside there is
anm
def
img
and the crazy hand.jar file.
Idk if it's my java but when I open cmd appears and says it cannot find or load it then dissapears immediately.
what program do i need to open it? Currently I am trying to open it with "Java(TM) Platform SE Binary".
Also ive already extracted the root file from the iso.
It looks like this.
Pls help i am a complete noob qq

Last edited:

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
anm
def
img
Idk if it's my java but when I open cmd appears and says it cannot find or load it then dissapears immediately.
what program do i need to open it? Currently I am trying to open it with "Java(TM) Platform SE Binary".
It looks like this.
You shouldn't need to run it using command line, you should only need to double click the .jar file. You also do not need to extract the "root" directory, Crazy Hand works with the .iso directly. You are correct though that you want to execute the file using "Java(TM) Platform SE Binary".
Let me know if you are still having issues after this.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
anm
def
img
It looks like this.
Rename "Crazy Hand v1.22" to "CrazyHand". Open Command Prompt. Copy the directory Crazy Hand is in. Type "cd" and right-click paste the directory into the prompt and press Enter. Then type "javaw -jar CrazyHand.jar" and press enter.

Or make a .bat file in the directory with "javaw -jar CrazyHand.jar" and run that.

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Rename "Crazy Hand v1.22" to "CrazyHand". Open Command Prompt. Copy the directory Crazy Hand is in. Type "cd" and right-click paste the directory into the prompt and press Enter. Then type "javaw -jar CrazyHand.jar" and press enter.

Or make a .bat file in the directory with "javaw -jar CrazyHand.jar" and run that.
Sins bringing out that batch skill. :p

papero106

Smash Rookie
Whenever I try to open the .jar file cmd prompt opens, and says "Could not find or load main class" then disappears almost immediately.
So I tried what SinsofApathy told me to do, but when I copy the directory and paste it then press enter, I get an error message saying
"C:\Users\HP\Download\ Is not recognized as an internal or external command." I am so confused right now. halp pls

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
So I tried what SinsofApathy told me to do, but when I copy the directory and paste it then press enter, I get an error message saying
"C:\Users\HP\Download\ Is not recognized as an internal or external command." I am so confused right now. halp pls
You're supposed to have "cd C:\Users\HP\Download\"

"cd" is the change directory command for pretty much every operating system.

papero106

Smash Rookie
Thank you for helping out! I did manage to make a .bat file that i can make crazyhand run.
But when I created the iso file with crazyhand, using the save button, the iso does not run on dolphin. it says that it is not recgonized as a GC or a Wii iso. In this case, do I need to create each character edit as .dat file and replace them in the roots file then use GC rebuilder?

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Thank you for helping out! I did manage to make a .bat file that i can make crazyhand run.
But when I created the iso file with crazyhand, using the save button, the iso does not run on dolphin. it says that it is not recgonized as a GC or a Wii iso. In this case, do I need to create each character edit as .dat file and replace them in the roots file then use GC rebuilder?
I assume the ISO normally runs on Dolphin? Second, what changes are you making?

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I think I've finally put together a semi-decent version of that Falco thing I was doing. I've been working on it in my spare time for about a week now, and this is what I've got. I bring to you all the first iteration of the worst inside joke ever conceived. Tired of living in the shadow of Fox, Falco has taken up a fierce training regiment with Captain Falcon in the remote mountains of the Mushroom Kingdom. This is the result of that training. Fiery Falco.

Fiery Falco v0.1
Not that much has actually been changed (I'm a very unproductive man) from vMelee Falco, but what few things are different (hopefully) make a difference. Going down the list:

- Miscellaneous Changes:
Gravity Reduced and Aerial Maneuverability Increased: Not by much, just enough to make his aerial presence a tiny bit more flexible. Shouldn't change that much, but it does give Falco a slightly better Vertical Recovery if I recall correctly. His fastfall speed is the same however.

Moonwalk Improved: Obviously training with Captain Falcon, Falco would learn to moonwalk like a real man. Or, kinda. Covers nowhere near the distance Falcon's does, but it is definitely better.

Wavedash Improved: Not a terribly large difference, it's about the length of Mario's now. Makes grounded followups out of shine slightly more flexible, as you can cover slightly more distance.

New Taunt: Just check it out. I'm very much happy with this one. I almost set it on fire, but I didn't have anywhere near enough space.

- Side B: Falco Rush (Aerial Version Broken)
While conceptually similar, it has been retooled pretty drastically. Falco now sets himself on fire and dashes forward. But what's different about it? Well for one, the startup and endlag on the move have been drastically reduced. Also, there is no hitbox while Falco is moving. The actual hitbox comes out once Falco stops. Or shall I say hitboxes. Upon stopping, Falco sets off a small explosion, creating two hitboxes: an outer hitbox and an inner hitbox. The outer hitbox has a very small amount of knockback, and serves only to lightly stun the opponent so you don't get punished too hard for misspacing. The inner hitbox however is a combo starter that knocks the opponent upwards at an 85 degree angle with very little KBG. This plus the better frame data gives Falco a nice punish and combo tool.

- Up Smash: Falco Foot
Falco's foot is now set ablaze as he kicks. The gameplay difference? Slightly better range, and a stronger sweetspot. The inner hitbox is now significantly weaker, with 15 BKB and 75 KBG. May or may not be sweetspottable out of Side-B.

- Down Air: Falco Drill
Falco sets his legs on fire and spins, drilling into his enemies. The early hit has much greater KBG than the later one. Both can kill just fine, but the early one does so much earlier.

- Forward Air: Falco Flurry
No fire on this one (it looked pretty absurd), but the hits link together much better. Each of the early hits has significantly less BKB and KBG, but the last hit has significantly more power than a sweetspotted Knee. Good luck actually landing all 5 hits though.

Notes: For my first attempt at any of this, I'm fairly satisfied with what little I've done. Forgive the disgustingly disorganized (and probably unoptomized) subactions, just evidence of my dumb thought process. During this whole process, I somehow managed to break the moving hitboxes on Side-B, eventually just gave up on them. I haven't added the hitboxes to the end of aerial Side-B either, so it's offensively worthless at the moment (oops). Also forgot how to get the bone-anchored graphic effects to continually emit themselves, so I'm using loops and sync timers for that. Don't judge me. Obviously constructive criticism and suggestions are appreciated. Also, ignore some of the sound effects. I think I forgot to change a few lol.
I'm really not concerned with ever trying to balance this, I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that. It was all just for fun, in fact, I wasn't even planning on posting this, but people in my group seemed to like it, so I figured why not. Cheers to crappy joke mods.

Download Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?182t8lw98c9isuq

Last edited:

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
In brawl moveset programs, users were able to add as many hitboxes and the like that they desired until the game messed up. Basically there was a limit but it wasn't exactly known. Does the limitation for melee go any higher or are we stuck with bytes per character?

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
You can add additional stuff to the subactions by telling the game to read data from some other place in the .dat file. There's probably something somewhere that lets you set file sizes so adding or removing bytes won't crash the game.

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
Alright then, thanks Magic.
Lastly, there's a bug in this program I guess. Personally, i wouldn't fix it if it were me...I'd just tell everyone to deal with it:

[BUG]
The throw subaction attribute element which says "normal" changes its in-game effect to electricity if any changes are made and saved to said throw subaction. Basically, the Crazy Hand software will still read "normal" even if the attribute tab was never touched.

Changing the attribute to "electric" will, lo and behold, change its in-game effect to normal.

meh *shrugs* just thought you should know...not like people touch the throw section anyway for some reason >__>'|l

[BUG]
Also, Marth's AirNeutralB-AirNeutralB End (Subactions 299-302) all have the same lines as his SideB Start (Subaction 303). If any one of these are changed, they are all changed together. Therefore, the AirNeutralBs cannot be edited with this program O:

Thanks though; it IS a great program after all.

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Alright then, thanks Magic.
Lastly, there's a bug in this program I guess. Personally, i wouldn't fix it if it were me...I'd just tell everyone to deal with it:

[BUG]
The throw subaction attribute element which says "normal" changes its in-game effect to electricity if any changes are made and saved to said throw subaction. Basically, the Crazy Hand software will still read "normal" even if the attribute tab was never touched.

Changing the attribute to "electric" will, lo and behold, change its in-game effect to normal.

meh *shrugs* just thought you should know...not like people touch the throw section anyway for some reason >__>'|l

[BUG]
Also, Marth's AirNeutralB-AirNeutralB End (Subactions 299-302) all have the same lines as his SideB Start (Subaction 303). If any one of these are changed, they are all changed together. Therefore, the AirNeutralBs cannot be edited with this program O:

Thanks though; it IS a great program after all.
I've noticed that before, I tried to give a throw electric effect for extra hitstun. T_T Oh and about that math stuff, have you tried changing the pointers?

Last edited:

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that before, I tried to give a throw electric effect for extra hitstun. T_T Oh and about that math stuff, have you tried changing the pointers?
<.<;
Hi tatatat, and uh...I don't know how to change pointers yet. Gotta look up that overpowered ganondorf hex editing again @__@

EDIT: Also when I asked
'Does the limitation for melee go any higher or are we stuck with bytes per character?'

What I meant to still know is if changing the offset starting positions (by adding bytes) will mess up everything below it by shifting offset positions?

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
<.<;
Hi tatatat, and uh...I don't know how to change pointers yet. Gotta look up that overpowered ganondorf hex editing again @__@

EDIT: Also when I asked
'Does the limitation for melee go any higher or are we stuck with bytes per character?'

What I meant to still know is if changing the offset starting positions (by adding bytes) will mess up everything below it by shifting offset positions?
To change pointers gather the first offset of the subaction you wish to change, convert it to dec and subtract 32. Convert it back into hex and search for 00 XX XX XX in Pl**.co where the x's are the values you found. Replace any stray x's with 0's. Make sure to have the value you got on the right, filling in stray x's from the left. You can change the value you got to confirm it is a pointer. if it has a 10 or 1C (i don't remember :p) on the start of the byte before it that is not the pointer and is a goto/subaction. Search for extra 00's in the Pl**.co for stray space. I hope my explanation was good enough.

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
@ tatatat0 tatatat0 I figured out how to find offsets from the ganon vid. It beat ya to it O:

I still don't know how to add bytes.

@ MagicScrumpy MagicScrumpy said
"you can add additional stuff to the subactions by telling the game to read data from some other place in the .dat file. There's probably something somewhere that lets you set file sizes so adding or removing bytes won't crash the game."

But I'm a noob a melee hacking. I have the option of inserting bytes apparently but I'm still not sure how to make the game read data from other places....

I just want to put an asynch timer and an IASA, preferrably an 'Interrupt with Specific Action' type thing XD
Specifically, I want to be able to jump out of a passiveroll (tech). I tried replacing graphics for now, but that's not even yielding results

Thanks so far btw

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
@ tatatat0 tatatat0 I figured out how to find offsets from the ganon vid. It beat ya to it O:

"you can add additional stuff to the subactions by telling the game to read data from some other place in the .dat file. There's probably something somewhere that lets you set file sizes so adding or removing bytes won't crash the game."

But I'm a noob a melee hacking. I have the option of inserting bytes apparently but I'm still not sure how to make the game read data from other places....

I just want to put an asynch timer and an IASA, preferrably an 'Interrupt with Specific Action' type thing XD
Specifically, I want to be able to jump out of a passiveroll (tech). I tried replacing graphics for now, but that's not even yielding results

Thanks so far btw
A lot of the time Allow IASA doesn't work on special subactions like rolling and stuff, until @ Tater Tater comes out with the magical holy grail of crazy hands releases your out of luck on that. to "add extra bytes" do what i told you to do. Find the pointer. change it to an empty space. Oh and if you want to be able to edit that empty space in crazyhand fill them with CC 00 00 00 (self damage) so they are registered as actual subactions in crazyhand and not just empty space.

Last edited:

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Until @ Tater Tater comes out with the magical holy grail of crazy hands releases your out of luck on that.
Nah man the magical holy grail was the last update. I've hardly been doing any development in the last month.

There's some neat features that are currently unreleased, but most of them are also incomplete and I've been busy lately :p

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Nah man the magical holy grail was the last update. I've hardly been doing any development in the last month.

There's some neat features that are currently unreleased, but most of them are also incomplete and I've been busy lately :p
The magical holy grail I am talking about is that unfinished feature you were talking about that would enable cancelling of any type for subactions. Or at least I think you were talking about that.

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Thanks so far btw
Interrupt_Kneebend replaces Interrupt_PassiveStandF/B (1.02) [Achilles]
043C4110 800CAED0
043C4130 800CAED0

Top line replaces forward tech roll and bottom line replaces backward tech roll. Global changes.

DOL addresses are 0x3c1110 and 0x3c1130.

Completely untested.

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Interrupt_Kneebend replaces Interrupt_PassiveStandF/B (1.02) [Achilles]
043C4110 800CAED0
043C4130 800CAED0

Top line replaces forward tech roll and bottom line replaces backward tech roll. Global changes.

DOL addresses are 0x3c1110 and 0x3c1130.

Completely untested.
You can change this stuff?? Teach me your ways Achilles.

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
Yo. Developing a Smash game as accurate to Melee as possible. 10+ Years of programming experience. I've been using this tool as a reference for values. There's quite a few values I'd like explained, if at all possible:

-Dash & Run Acceleration A

Obviously the acceleration of both the Dash and the Run.

-Dash & Run Acceleration B

-There's a second one?... Is this for when you turn around and run slower?

-Dash & Run Terminal Velocity

-I'm assuming this is the Maximum Dash Speed.

-Run Animation Scaling

Whaaaaat?... I'm going to guess this controls your animation speed in relation to running.

-Jump H Initial Velocity

I have no clue for this one.

-Jump V Initial Velocity

No clue. This and Jump H Initial Velocity are the most important ones to me right now.

-Ground to Air Jump Momentum Multiplier

I'm gonna guess it has to do with maintaining your run speed when you jump.

-Jump H Maximum Velocity

Still no clue.

-Shorthop V Initial Velocity

Nope.

-Air Jump Multiplier

What.

-Air Mobility A

I think this one is how fast you can go in the air without gaining any ground momentum before hand? Like how all jumps are in Sm4sh.

-Air Mobility B

I'm assuming this is your max speed in air from jumping after a run.

-Max Aerial H Velocity

Uhh...

-Air Friction

Pretty sure this is like AirDrag from the Classic Sonic games. Just look up "Sonic Physics Guide" and look for Air Drag and you'll know what I'm talking about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's quite a bit of stuff, I know. But I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me. There's only a few I'm clueless on (even though I can get a vague idea/make a good guess from every single one)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
You are pretty much right about most of the top ones, Jump initial H velocity is the initial horizontal velocity you get from jumping. Jump V initial velocity is the velocity initial Vertical velocity you gain from jumping. air multiplier, this affects how high your air jump is, this is very noticeable in characters like falco, who have insanely high Full hops but not so high air jumps. Jump H Maximum velocity is the maximum speed horizontally you can be moving in the air. Air mobility A and B, this affects how fast you can change your momentum forward and backwards respectively. No clue what Air Friction is, but I'd assume its how fast you decelerate. Oh theres also another cool value thats not named in crazy hand you might want to know about, beneath air jump multiplier is another multiplier that affects the momentum you get from a double jump, with characters like yoshi having 1.2(iirc) and jigglypuff/kirby having 0.

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
You are pretty much right about most of the top ones, Jump initial H velocity is the initial horizontal velocity you get from jumping. Jump V initial velocity is the velocity initial Vertical velocity you gain from jumping. air multiplier, this affects how high your air jump is, this is very noticeable in characters like falco, who have insanely high Full hops but not so high air jumps. Jump H Maximum velocity is the maximum speed horizontally you can be moving in the air. Air mobility A and B, this affects how fast you can change your momentum forward and backwards respectively. No clue what Air Friction is, but I'd assume its how fast you decelerate. Oh theres also another cool value thats not named in crazy hand you might want to know about, beneath air jump multiplier is another multiplier that affects the momentum you get from a double jump, with characters like yoshi having 1.2(iirc) and jigglypuff/kirby having 0.
Thank you so much for the information!

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
Holy...

Well o__o"""
@ Tater Tater , September is upon us @___@ good luck with your other endeavors!

@achilles1515, I suppose I'll be the one to start this here testing
Also, I found the offsets of course, but I don't know which hex to replace.
I tried the following, but it froze mi game

OFFSET 0x3C1110 | 80098ADC 80098AE0 ---> 043C4110 800CAED0
OFFSET 0x3C1130 | 80098ADC 80098AE0 ---> 043C4130 800CAED0

@ tatatat0 tatatat0 , even with what achilles said, I still needed what you said so thanks again (b'--')b

Last edited:

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
@achilles1515, I suppose I'll be the one to start this here testing
Also, I found the offsets of course, but I don't know which hex to replace.
I tried the following, but it froze mi game

OFFSET 0x3C1110 | 80098ADC 80098AE0 ---> 043C4110 800CAED0
OFFSET 0x3C1130 | 80098ADC 80098AE0 ---> 043C4130 800CAED0
These are AR codes :p

If you want to inject this into your ISO, you only need to put 800CAED0 in Start.dol, at memory addresses 0x3c1114 and 0x3c1134(I think. If that doesn't work, inject them at 0x3c1110 and 0x3c1130 as achilles originally stated)

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
In case any of you wanted almost every single character variable written in one place (in a format that you can put into code), here it is:

http://pastebin.com/70XBB611

-----------------------------------------------------------------
  1. InitialWalkVelocity
  2. WalkAcceleration
  3. WalkMaximumVelocity
  4. SlowWalkMax
  5. MidWalkPoint
  6. FastWalkMin
  7. Friction
  8. InitialDashVelocity
  9. DashAndRunAccelerationA
  10. DashAndRunAccelerationB
  11. DashAndRunTerminalVelocity
  12. RunAnimationScaling
  13. RunAcceleration
  14. JumpStartupFrames
  15. JumpHorizontalInitialVelocity
  16. JumpVerticalInitialVelocity
  17. AirJumpMultiplier
  18. NumberOfJumps
  19. Gravity
  20. TerminalVelocity
  21. AirMobilityA
  22. AirMobilityB
  23. MaxAerialHorizontalVelocity
  24. AirFriction
  25. FastFallTerminalVelocity
  26. Jab2Window
  27. Jab3Window
  28. FramesToChangeDirectionOnStand
  29. Weight
  30. ModelScaling
  31. ShieldSize
  32. ShieldBreakInitialVelocity
  33. RapidJabWindow
  34. LedgejumpHorizontalVelocity
  35. LedgejumpVerticalVelocity
  36. ItemThrowVelocity
  37. NormalLandingLag
  38. NairLandingLag
  39. FairLandingLag
  40. BairLandingLag
  41. UairLandingLag
  42. DairLandingLag
  43. WallJumpHorizontalVelocity
  44. WallJumpVerticalVelocity
  45. JumpCancel
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be using that link whenever I set up character to reduce tediousness. Figured I'd post it here since there's no harm.

Last edited:

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what the differences are but the code DOES WORK (: D) when replacing either:

80098ADC --> 800CAED0
80098AE0 ---> 800CAED0
The problem now is that the tech rolls don't move anywhere and that they can be interrupted at anytime instead of just when the character is vulnerable. Wish I understood the code. If I did I'd also make it so that you can roll off a ledge during a tech roll if holding forward in passivestandf or backward in passivestandb

*coughs heavily XD*

Edit:
80098ADC --> 8009AED0
80098AE0 ---> 8009AED0 Freezes Game

re-enables the entire roll. now I just need to add an asynch timer to the jump interrupt I believe and that hold to roll off ledge idea. thanks so far~

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what the differences are but the code DOES WORK (: D) when replacing either:

80098ADC --> 800CAED0
80098AE0 ---> 800CAED0
The problem now is that the tech rolls don't move anywhere and that they can be interrupted at anytime instead of just when the character is vulnerable. Wish I understood the code. If I did I'd also make it so that you can roll off a ledge during a tech roll if holding forward in passivestandf or backward in passivestandb

*coughs heavily XD*

Edit:
80098ADC --> 8009AED0
80098AE0 ---> 8009AED0

re-enables the entire roll. now I just need to add an asynch timer to the jump interrupt I believe and that hold to roll off ledge idea. thanks so far~
I wonder if you could instead have it switch to a different subaction mid-subaction with the interrupt.

Last edited:

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if you could instead have it switch to a different subaction mid-subaction with the interrupt.
Why, you interested in this ; D?

@ tatatat0 tatatat0 would you know how to properly put the asynch timer here ? @___@ my skills are currently laughable

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Why, you interested in this ; D?

@ tatatat0 tatatat0 would you know how to properly put the asynch timer here ? @___@ my skills are currently laughable
I am very interested in it, I don't know how it works :p . Also I'm not really sure what you mean by properly putting the asynchronous timers. I think it would just be something like 08 00 00 XX 1C 00 00 00 00 YY YY YY. XX is the amount of time to wait. To get YY YY YY you would take the offset of the first subaction you want and convert it to dec, -32, and convert it to hex. Idk if that would work, but I assume it'd work something like that.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master

80098ADC --> 800CAED0
80098AE0 ---> 800CAED0

*coughs heavily XD*

Edit:
80098ADC --> 8009AED0
80098AE0 ---> 8009AED0 Freezes Game

Undo everything you've done. Go to the DOL offsets I listed and put 800CAED0 at each one. The default values you will be overwriting are both 80098ADC.

80098ADC is the RAM address of a blank function that does nothing - aka you cannot normally interrupt the tech roll action states with anything).
You can change this stuff?? Teach me your ways Achilles.
I posted about how to find the IASA function address for any subaction on the previous page. There's a table in the DOL.

Last edited:
Top Bottom