• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counterpicking Stages - Current Discussion: PIKACHU

CoonTail

Smash Lord
In the atlantic north Norfair is banned so thats kinda out of the question but I have seen the usefulness of brinstar. I honestly cannot stand RC and will ban it like no ones business to be completely honest Ive hated that stage since the days of melee. Baton Passing is great and Ive been trying to pull it off on frigate orpheon on the pop up platforms on the side which honestly is near impossible at this point.

I wanted to see if we have any other decent options vs Diddy as far as stages go because I will ban RC and I know the diddy will ban brinstar so that doesnt leave me with much in this thread. By the way throwing a banana on the stage connector on brinstar and just having it bounce in place so that you can jus run through grab it out of the air and keep moving is too ridiculous to not note.

Kith

Smash Ace
Oh...meh lol what are all the stages we can baton pass. RC, Smashville, pirate ship...any others?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You can baton pass on the normal platform on frigate too, not just the ones that slide away.
If a platform is moving downward, you stay where you are and come out in the air.

If the stage flips, you stay where you are and come out laglessly if you were on a platform beforehand. Just don't pick a low point on the stage, or you'll come out below the stage. :p

Bomber7

Smash Hero
If a platform is moving downward, you stay where you are and come out in the air.

If the stage flips, you stay where you are and come out laglessly if you were on a platform beforehand. Just don't pick a low point on the stage, or you'll come out below the stage. :p
so if you go into the switching animation when the stage flips, your pokeball won't fall off the platform to a humiliating death?

T-block

B2B TST
wow that's pretty cool... i bet even if we came out below the platform squirtle and ivysaur could still make it to the edge with the triple jump lol

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea wow I didnt know that and honestly I use frigate as my CP cause like I said here in the atlantic north we dont have norfair. So I have played frigate alot in tournies and took snakeee to a 3rd game because of that stage.

But this is real kool because triple jump with ivy and squirtle on frigate me they are coming back no matter what LO!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Not sure bomber but I also forgot to state that I have experimented with poke changing while the stage transition is happening on castle seige and honestly its really kool if you work with it because as you go from the second portion to 3rd and 3rd portion to first(lol obv not first to second unless you jus wanna eat damage) if you down b at the correct time your pokeball will fall off the transition as the level starts to appear so you can change off stage quickly and have less worry about changing unless the opp is MK.
Its real kool to fool around with figuing castle seige is a CP and it is real nice once you work with the timing.

Kith

Smash Ace
I'm reaally interested in seeing how Frigate Orpheon could be a really good CP for Pokemon Trainer. Squirtle is my best, but I'm really confident in all three of my pokemon, so I think switching constantly wouldn't be a bad idea, to refresh diminished moves. This level will make that a lot easier.

T-block

B2B TST
that is the coolest thing i've seen all day o.o

edit: so anyways, i'm thinking frigate and pictochat might actually be good stages to take falco too. pictochat in general is amazing... i think i would take snake there too

Kith

Smash Ace
that is the coolest thing i've seen all day o.o

edit: so anyways, i'm thinking frigate and pictochat might actually be good stages to take falco too. pictochat in general is amazing... i think i would take snake there too
Not legal in South Florida :-(

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Pictochat just got banned at HOBO, too.
Picto chat is an ok stage however in the long run it is pretty gay. There are very few transitions that actually make it a neutral stage other than that it's like having items on and playing on Pirate ship as well.

T-block

B2B TST
I'd like to hear the logic behind banning Pictochat -_-

The transformations appear at predictable times and disappear at predictable times. There's also a safe zone on the left side of the map, which translates to strategic positioning, not so much game-ruining randomness.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I find it fine myself, BUT...it can cause random KOs that are pretty lame. Example? Lee Martin played Bored in low tier grand finals at HOBO 19 recently. Lee was Falcon; Bored was Ike. Lee was offstage to the left and was going for his up B...when the diagonal line across Pictochat appeared, thus blocking him from grabbing the ledge. That was Lee's last life of the set.

Some other people complained about it at the last HOBO, but I didn't see those examples myself.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
as well as if you just have some random ******* who wants to run out the clock/ camp the hell out of you, the pile of boxes promotes that. Ontop of that spikes can disrupt a good aerial attempt i.e you and I are in the air and you are about to hit me, and the spikes come up and hit you with the possibility of not hitting me. No matter what the percent it's still bad. If I was at a high %, you just messed up your chance to KO especially if it is my last stock and now I can come up and possibly finish you. If we are both at high %, you get SD'd (I'm pretty sure if that's possible)

The cloud dude blowing is like having DreamLand as a stage which I know is banned.

T-block

B2B TST
so i made a couple of changes - lemme know if you disagree with any of them

Snake - ban Halberd
Snake - #1 cp Rainbow Cruise
Snake - don't strike Smashville (?)
Marth - cp Rainbow Cruise
Falco - cp Rainbow Cruise

for d3 i would say ban frigate, cp norfair. any other ideas?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Why ban Halberd against Snake? Just curious, as the Snakes I've played haven't done any tricksies there.

I prefer Norfair (if it's legal where you are) over RC for Snake. It's a pretty efficient stage for planking and running, especially against Snake. I've run out the timer a pretty good bit against Snakes there.

T-block

B2B TST
u-tilt kills squirtle at like 70% =( the snakes in my region seem to CP it a decent amount. the original ban was smashville, which i now think is actually an okay stage to go against snake on. and since corneria and green greens are generally banned anyways, i felt i had to replace smashville with something.

i've heard more and more people say norfair and japes for snake lately. norfair does seem really nice... who uses charizard anyways xP

Kith

Smash Ace
Im for squirtle, zard, squirtle. I love Ivysaur, but d3 has such a great gimping game it's scary.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
actually my ivy wasn't doing to bad against ddd. if you can space him awesome he's actually really good. but for stage wise i would either play smashville for the 0 switch or brinstar

Kith

Smash Ace
Ivysaur does have a good spacing game that can work against DDD, but it's a really risky situation. One wrong move and you may get grabbed and gimped. I can speak from experience because I play Seibrik almost every other day (#1 in the power rankings in FL, and DDD main lol)

Kith

Smash Ace
Well, I agree with Mata about Smashville...
My matches usually end us like this.

1st Stock (Squirtle): Squirtle can't be chaingrabbed ^_^. The only problem squirtle has in this match up is the ridiculously low percents D3 can kill him (i.e. up-tilt). Playing a patient game and punishing whiffed grabs can get you the first kill. If you take off a stock, switch to I switch to Ivysaur and try to do some damage. If I lose the first stock then...

2nd Stock: Ivysaur (preferrably Charizard). If I lost the first stock, I switch right away. If it's smashville, I can get away without being chaingrabbed. Otherwise, I find it's usually worth it anyways. Charizard's grab range is a bit less than D3, but it can definitely hold it's own. Baiting grabs with fastfalled aerials works pretty well here, and d-tilt punishes are nice.

3rd Stock (Squirtle): Same as before

Top Bottom