• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counterpicking Stages - Current Discussion: PIKACHU

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Really Magik? I always found Norfair a good place to take Dededes. He can't CG has well there, and it's a pretty good stage for PT to run/camp.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Isn't Norfair illegal in most regions? And does Dedede have any good grab releases on Squirtle?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dedede does fine against PT on Norfair.

Instantly getting all 3 pokes off stage at any grab BELOW a ledge is a lot more beneficial to him than a couple more percent from the cg/not cging at all.

Actually, D3 tech chases squirtle extremely well with down throw (if you roll backwards you get pivot grabbed, if you di up you get grabbed, if you roll away you may be okay but still in danger, otherwise get dsmashed to die at like 90%), so going to Norfair avoids that a bit better.

Whilst norfair is huge, Squirtle not having many jumps nor the ability to really get -past- a dedede; plus dedede's range covering entire platforms, etc etc.

I'd almost wager Rainbow Cruise is the best.

BUT, is it just me, OR DID SOMEONE SAY the best stage to cp marth on is Rainbow?
!?!?!

T-block

B2B TST
i still have brinstar and battlefield listed before RC for marth, but RC lets you use squirtle a lot, so i think it's a decent CP. i'd be happy to have you prove me wrong though

what are the advantages to taking D3 to RC?

Tien2500

Smash Lord
i still have brinstar and battlefield listed before RC for marth, but RC lets you use squirtle a lot, so i think it's a decent CP. i'd be happy to have you prove me wrong though

what are the advantages to taking D3 to RC?
I would guess he can't really utilize his CG against Zard/Ivy too well here on most sections.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I would guess he can't really utilize his CG against Zard/Ivy too well here on most sections.
Well, he has guaranteed dtilt on both characters, and that can **** you up on the parts with no ledges to grab onto. Plus a few places with walls and a walk off portion. You can argue that it's more difficult for him to actually grab you though.

T-block

B2B TST
stage strike: final destination, battlefield
counterpick: smashville, brinstar, rainbow cruise, norfair
ban: delfino, frigate orpheon

do we like brinstar?

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Brinstar is ok but not great. Ivy is somewhat usable here. Squirtle and to a lesser extend Ivy can make use of the platforms I think better than Dedede can in this stage.

On the other hand I think this stage is pretty poor for Charizard. He doesn't really have the air game to really compete here.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
I'd say maybe Brinstar. The walls are close, which is good because he's so light and it limits his opportunity to use his amazing rcovery. Plus, the uneven terrain makes it difficult for him to use his chaingrabs/0-death. And his thunder isn't as devastating here as at other places. He's just such a versatile character that it's hard for me to name any outstandingly bad stages for him.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah but you wouldn't really negate his tjolt camping, unless I'm mistaken.

T-block

B2B TST
they stop when they hit the goopy logs and the pillars. i think brinstar is pretty cool... pikachu is generally pretty campy, yeah? i think it'd mess with his QAC too.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Yeah, which I kinda hinted at because his QAC is necessary for his 0-death. And the texture could easily mess up his chaingrabs. Plus, the stage texture would force extremely precise calculation in order to accurately QAC, which is great for us. I didn't know the logs stop t-jolt, which is more good news. But even though Pikachu is a great camper, he also has a generally good game at a lot of ranges, so even if we can nullify his camping, he has other great options. Nevertheless, Brinstar seems to sound good to all of us. Any others? What stages would be good for Squirtle that would be bad for Pikachu, since Squirtle is our best against him?

T-block

B2B TST
Does anyone here have regular Pikachu experience? So far we have Brinstar and Lylat Cruise. I'm thinking Battlefield might be a decent stage to go to as well - Pikachus tend to like open space, and the platforms here would make Thunder Jolt and Thunder less effective.

Oh, Luigi's Mansion should get a mention if it's legal. That stage is pretty bad for Pikachu.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
i've played Z and i have an OK pikachu

but i have no freaking clue about the matchup

lmao

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
This is one of the few matchups I'll pay a visit to Pokemon Stadium for. The neutral stage with its platforms can keep you moderately safe, but the transformations are where the fun really begins. Especially the Rock Transformation. It's next to impossible for Pikachu to camp, and it gives Squirtle a chance to get in really close, and put on some serious pressure. All the transformations limit his CG and QAC options... The lip can aslo mess with his recovery, if he tries to sweetspot the ledge. My brother seconds Pikachu, and every now and again will get caught underneath.

Of course, the lip screws me over sometimes as well. :/

:083:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeahh....that's like Pika's best part of the stage for Thunder Jolt camping.

Asa

Smash Hero
I like anywhere small w/ platforms, like battlefield or frigate. The platforms help out PT more than pika i think

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
That's the point of T-Block and Zigsta's comments, the rock stage probably favours Pika's projectile more than any other projectile in the game (at least non-item ones anyway), so if anything, it's probably one of his best stages to camp on, but I'm not sure about that so correct me if I'm wrong.

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
The platforms mess with the trajectory of his T-Jolt, if I remember right. Unless he gets behind that huge mountain, he's gonna have to jump up to get a T-Jolt out. And even behind the mountain, his T-Jolts only go so far. I usually just take is as a chance for a free switch if he hides back there. Zard has enough jumps to get over it all, and if you can avoid a Thunder, and get pika off the stage, edgeguarding is supremely easy.

If he's sitting inside the platforms trying to wall you with T-Jolt, just bait a Thunder, and drop down for the ****. How it usually works for me..

Of course, that could be just me. My brother seconds Pikachu, and he's pretty good. But Pokemon stadium just tends to mess him up for some reason.

:023:

T-block

B2B TST
Sorry Chuckles - I really can't see where you're coming from =P

I think Brinstar, Lylat, Battlefield, Luigi's Mansion is a decent list for CPs. Bans would probably be Final Destination... I dunno why you'd ban anything else really.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
FD is by far the first stage you should strike/ban against pika. dont take him to mansion either, he can uthrow to jab lock waaaay to easy on that stage, although I suppose we can to, never mind.

Top Bottom