• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could there somehow be a pattern to the Brawl updates?

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
This week there will be no music. It skips two.

There will be no stage until two weeks from now, now since we got one this week.

Every 4 updates there is a newcomer (but it started on the first one.) So, there will be a veteran this week.

There will be no item update. Every four weeks then it skips a week. It skips this week.

I don't think there will be how to play updates until two weeks.

Game modes comes every three weeks, so thats out.

The rest of the week will be character updates.

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
The pattern is a form, template, or model (or, more abstractly, a set of rules) which can be used to make or to generate things or parts of a thing, especially if the things that are created have enough in common for the underlying pattern to be inferred, in which case the things are said to exhibit the pattern.

What you have "noticed" is hardly a pattern, there's too little weeks to conclude a pattern from your stuff and the pattern is extremely difficult/random. You just fix it to what you have seen and you will bend the rules if the next update will not fit this 'pattern'.

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
The pattern is a form, template, or model (or, more abstractly, a set of rules) which can be used to make or to generate things or parts of a thing, especially if the things that are created have enough in common for the underlying pattern to be inferred, in which case the things are said to exhibit the pattern.

What you have "noticed" is hardly a pattern, there's too little weeks to conclude a pattern from your stuff and the pattern is extremely difficult/random. You just fix it to what you have seen and you will bend the rules if the next update will not fit this 'pattern'.
Indeed!!

Especially when you are looking for a pattern in something as broad as choosing from a group of six to fit, unordered, into five spaces.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
Most of these theories are totally wrong. You can find approximate fits for any and all sets of numbers, and especially with incredibly small sets such as these, they are most likely wrong.

First thing, most of these theories include an update on all this information approximately every week. This makes sense, because obviously he has been trying to diversify the information given out each week. But some exact science such at "4 weeks in a row and then rest 1 week" is just not right.

some of these theories hold some sort of ground, although they are at best just an approximate representation of the amount of information of that type they wish to release, not a week by week guess of exactly which updates are coming out.

Consider this:

Character Updates Per Week
Week 1: Mario, Link, Pit
Week 2: Pikachu, Kirby
Week 3: None
Week 4: Fox, Samus
Week 5: Wario
Week 6: Zelda
Week 7: Bowser
Week 8: Donkey Kong
Week 9

PATTERN: They update with one character a week now

This theory is based upon 4 weeks of "correct" information, and 4 weeks of incorrect information. It simply makes sense that they would give out APPROXIMATELY 1 character per week because that is what people are really looking forward to, but especially after all the obvious characters such as yoshi and DK are announced, you will notice a decline in character updates per week.

Gameplay Updates Per Week
Week 1: How To Play
Week 2: What is a Final Smash?, Moving and Shooting
Week 3: You must recover!
Week 4: None
Week 5: None
Week 6: None
Week 7: Smash Attacks
Week 8: Standard Combos
Week 9

PATTERN: They update three weeks in a row, don't update for three weeks, and start again.
Ok, the obvious miss here is week 2, and week 9 was wrong too (This world is a game modes update). "they do 3, then skip 3 then do 2 then skip 2 then do 1 then skip 1" is a theory that would still approximately fit, but is equally as wrong.

Mode Updates Per Week
Week 1: None
Week 2: None
Week 3: Four Kinds of Control
Week 4: None
Week 6: Names
Week 7: None
Week 8: None
Week 9

PATTERN: Every three weeks they'll update.
This one is the one that may actually be correct. Obviously they are not updating modes approximately every week as they are with most of the other stuff, and Modes is the kind of thing that they cant update every week because there isnt enough of it, so they may actually be updating it *approximately* every 3 weeks, but dont count on the mode update being exactly on week 12.

Stage Updates Per Week
Week 1: Battlefield
Week 2: Delfino Plaza
Week 3: None
Week 4: Yoshi's Island
Week 5: Lylat Cruise
Week 6: None
Week 7: Bridge of Eldin
Week 8: Smashville
Week 9:

PATTERN: They update two weeks in a row, rest one, and start again.
This one is perfect still, but i believe this one to be an anomolie. I may be wrong though.

Item Updates Per Week
Week 1: Gooey Bomb
Week 2: Cracker Launcher
Week 3: What are Pokeballs?, Groundon
Week 4: Crates and Barrels
Week 6: Banana Peel
Week 7: What are Assist Trophies? Samurai Goro
Week 8: Bumper, Dr. Wright
Week 9: Dexoys

PATTERN: They update four weeks in a row, rest one, and start again.
The silliest one. This is based upon a single "none", clearly not enough information. Not to mention week 3 and 8 are wrong.

Music Updates per Week
Week 1: The Musicians
Week 2: None
Week 3: Yoshi's Story: Ending
Week 4: Metroid: Boss Battle Music (Ridley Fight)
Week 6: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Medley
Week 7: None
Week 8: None
Week 9: Star Fox: Space Armada

The first four weeks went- one/ none/ one/ one. The next four weeks will work in reverse none/ one/ none/ none.
lol. The over complicatedness of this theory goes to show that you could have a pattern for anything.

According to my assumed pattern we'll be having one character, one item, one song, one mode info, and one How to Play update this week...
Now, is this for real or a huge concidence? After all, we already have the song for the week. So who would be the new character? The new item?

Is Sakurai keeping a pattern on purpose and hopes we don't notice? Or does he want us to notice.
The prediction was wrong. the only prediction i would make is "most likely we will not have 2 of the same kind of information in 1 week", which also is sometimes wrong.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
There is one truth. Characters are updated every week(this has been true since week 5) Everything else is random.

GraniteJJ

Smash Cadet
I don't know. Usually if you get one thing in a week, you know there is something else you will not get.

But, for the most part, it seems that every week we get

- one character
- one stage or music selection
- one assist trophy or pokeball
- one attack explanation (Final Smash, Special Attacks)
- one gameplay instruction or item

For example, last week we got:

- Music (Star Fox Armada)
- Pokemon (Deoxys)
- Attack Explanation (Final Smash: Samus)
- Character (Zero Suit Samus)
- Gameplay (This World...)

The week before that, it was:

- Attack Explanation (Standard Combos)
- Assist Trophy (Dr. Wright)
- Item (Bumper)
- Character (Donkey Kong)
- Stage (Smashville)

Occasionally, it fluctuates. But that seems to be the general idea. We will never see an Assist Trophy or Pokeball in the same week.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
TomH is 100% correct.

And ROFL @ today's update throwing a wrench in all this "pattern" nonsense.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
lol @ maxpower.

I do believe that for the most part there is only 1 update of each type per week, but stuff like what graniteJJ said is overly complicated. Its not like they for some reason paired stage selection and music selection... Its just "generally 1 of each kind. Every once in a while 2 of the same kind". It is very unlikely that there will be a third level update this week, and im predicting that they will continue announcing not so surprising characters for a while (UPCOMING UPDATES: Ness...Jigglypuff...Solid snake...Peach...) and then all of a sudden they will announce a surprising one, and then not announce any more for a while.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
For characters, I almost expect them to do exactly what they did for Melee, which was to slowly announce the 14 characters that are unlocked from the start, and hold back on all of the others until the issue a prss release shortly before launch suddenly naming ALL of the unlockable characters at once. They might not do it the exact same way, but I do expect them to keep a lot of characters secret until launch is near.

theduffman

Smash Cadet
In terms of characters, the most convincing pattern and the most interesting pattern, they have profiled 13 of 15 confirmed characters, and there are 18 weeks remaining (not including the week beginning on May 3).

Additionally, he seems to be presenting the less interesting and more predictable characters to us sooner.

If this is true, the next few months could have the following in store for us:
Metaknight, Snake, Falcon, Ness,
Luigi, Peach,
Jigglypuff, Sheik, Gannondorf, Falco
(roughly ordered according to certainty to return)

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad
There will be no stage until two weeks from now, now since we got one this week.
I guess you really missed the mark on that one, huh?

@ce
**** uhh. are ppl this bored
Yes.

The updates are completely random. They don't have any pattern, and there's no way to tell what's going to be updated when.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
In terms of characters, the most convincing pattern and the most interesting pattern, they have profiled 13 of 15 confirmed characters, and there are 18 weeks remaining (not including the week beginning on May 3).

Additionally, he seems to be presenting the less interesting and more predictable characters to us sooner.

If this is true, the next few months could have the following in store for us:
Metaknight, Snake, Falcon, Ness,
Luigi, Peach,
Jigglypuff, Sheik, Gannondorf, Falco
(roughly ordered according to certainty to return)
You forgot the Ice Climbers, and Gam&Watch. (Who both have a better chance than Falco)

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
they have not revealed any veterans who have previously been clones, yet. This seems to hint that those that were clones could have been (or are still being) retooled.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I thought they were just releasing the starter characters first.

All our verterans have been starter characters in 64 or melee. If they showed Marth or something I'd be really surprised.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
As far as STARTER character go... Whose left?

IF they are showing starters then we should know whether the Ice Climbers are back or not in a couple of weeks.

Metaknight may be a starter... But I'm not sure.

But who else is left now? Ness, and Captain Falcon, and...? is that it?

If so I predict Captian Falcon Next week...

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Pieman0920
You forgot the Ice Climbers, and Gam&Watch. (Who both have a better chance than Falco)
How do you figure that?

TRC
I agree that Falco's chances of returning are dismal indeed.
That's because you don't know what you're talking about.

Procrasticritter
they have not revealed any veterans who have previously been clones, yet. This seems to hint that those that were clones could have been (or are still being) retooled.
That's because they haven't shown any veterans who were hidden characters.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
As far as STARTER character go... Whose left?

IF they are showing starters then we should know whether the Ice Climbers are back or not in a couple of weeks.

Metaknight may be a starter... But I'm not sure.

But who else is left now? Ness, and Captain Falcon, and...? is that it?

Peach.

ten characters.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I'm afraid that we would get a Luigi's Mansion stage eventually.

Afraid? Luigi's Mansion? Get it? Smart eh? Eh? Eh?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
SSB starters:
Mario*
Yoshi*
Donkey Kong*
Link*
Fox*
Kirby*
Samus*
Pikachu*

SSBM only Starters:
Peach
Bowser*
Zelda*
Sheik
Ice Climbers

SSB Hidden / SSBM Starters:
Captain Falcon (Samurai AT hints his return)
Ness

SSB + SSBM Hidden:
Luigi
Jigglypuff

SSBM Only Hidden:
Marth
Mewtwo
Mr. Game and Watch

SSBM Clones:
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Falco
Y.Link
Pichu
Roy

SSBB "Possible" Starters:
Metaknight (not yet reconfirmed)
Pit*
Zero Suit Samus*
Wario*

SSBB Hidden:
Snake (not yet reconfirmed)

characters with *'s are confirmed so far. The original eight of SSB have all been confirmed and they have done 2 of the SSBM Only Starters.

If Sakurai confirms any old character in any order, he'll most likely finish the starting roster of SSBM before moving on to SSBM unlockables.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the "not yet reconfirmed" characters (except for snake because he'll be a hidden character) will probably be updated soon. This includes Metaknight who is an exception to the above order rule because he's already been revealed before.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
falco has a 100 percent chance of returning. he is to fox like luigi is to mario. they won't take out starfox's second biggest character. i personally feel IC and G@W will returna as well, because they are original characters. characters like young link, pichu, and dr. mario will not return, because they cannot have different movesets unless you put a lot of time into them, and would you rather have time spent on that, or say ridley or dedede?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I'd rather have characters like Dr. Mario and Daisy be alternate costumes for Mario and Peach, respectively. Same could apply to Young Link and Pichu, but those seem like more of a stretch.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I like this thread. The first post should be updated so we can see if there is anything else we can learn from the recent events.

Oh yeah, and add a Final Smash section.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
here who i think starter characters will be

mario, link, pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Samus, Zelda, Bowser. DK, Yoshi, Ike, Wario, pit, marth, Peach, Ganandorf

Unlockables, Lugi, Snake, Jiguly puff, DIddy. Dedede, Ridly, Zamus, Sonic, a new pokemon, another pokemon, metanight, G and W... all i got so far lol im tiered bed time

Top Bottom