• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could the Sonic series get a 2nd rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think the Sonic series needs another playable character. I wouldn't mind Sonic characters becoming ATs, but another playable would ruin the chances of another great 3rd party character. What I think they should do is have another Sega character. (That's saying if they can't get another 3rd party to contribute a character) How awesome would a NiGHTS be as a playable character?

Oh and Crazy Taxi for AT!
NiGHTS!!! Haha!!! Yes!

AND NO SHADOW

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
I don't really have the time to read the whole thread right now, so I can only hope that my point hasn't already been addressed.

It seems to me that Sonic is in Brawl less as a representative of his franchise (as in the case of, say, Pokemon Trainer or Ike) and more as just himself. He exists as an iconic character practically independently of his games at this point, and I don't believe it logically follows that more characters from the series should be part of the game because of the series' popularity.

(I admit, though, I'd rather Knuckles be in the game than Sonic. XD)

The point of this thread was to debate on who would be the 2nd re if they decide to make one. Honestly, I think this thread is pointless. Because any of them could become ATs or in Robotnik's case: A boss. So It's more on who would make a better AT rather then character.
Nope, it's not. A 2nd rep is undoubtly so and we wouldn't be arguing about the obvious as you pointed out. This is to see if Sonic or Sega could possibly get a second playable character, and I do think it is still worth discussing since the two most likely candidates are Tails and NiGHTs, but even greater would be Robotnik/Eggman. Discuss that instead of AT. If you want to discuss ATs for 3rd parties, there is a thread for that too.

I don't think the Sonic series needs another playable character. I wouldn't mind Sonic characters becoming ATs, but another playable would ruin the chances of another great 3rd party character. What I think they should do is have another Sega character. (That's saying if they can't get another 3rd party to contribute a character) How awesome would a NiGHTS be as a playable character?
Mostly agreed, but still this is who would be the rep and why. I appreciate your honesty though: I would like to see a great 3rd party character too! But why not another sonic character.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Yeah, I realize that, but my point was that he still supported Sonic in the overall scheme of things. Sonic couldn't blow up the Egg Carrier without Tails' help, but who blew up the Egg Carrier? Actually, that's a bad example. I think Knuckles blew it up, but could Tails beat Chaos? No. Could Tails fight Biohazard? No. Did it really matter if Tails was there or not in Sonic 2 or 3? Not really, though Tails could play in 3 by himself.

Whenever Luigi was playable in a game, you could play as either him or Mario, and the end result wasn't really that different.
I lol at this, this is probably the most biased crap I ever read as of yet.
If you actually played Sonic Adventure you would know Tails as to beat Chaos at one point not only that but he saved the whole city from Eggman all by himself.
Could Knuckles fight Biohazard? nope.
Yes it mattered if Tails was there in Sonic 2&3 because he contribued to the story and because of him we got one of most awesome mulitplayer in Sonic 2.

Cless

Smash Champion
Well, I did say that my argument could be pretty easily picked apart in my original post.

I know Tails saved Station Square from Eggman, but then Sonic saved it from Chaos. Everyone has to beat Chaos at one point except maybe E-102 and Amy. I don't remember anymore.

I never really paid attention to the story much in Sonic 2 and 3 since it was almost non-existant/I was young at the time, but the multiplayer in that game is half-*****. To give the second player an invincible character is stupid, and it makes the game stupid since you can just make Tails do everything, and he can even prevent you from making mistakes by flying you places. It's like letting you're younger sibling play a throw away character so that you can say that you are actually playing together, but he or she has no significant impact on the game.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Well, I did say that my argument could be pretty easily picked apart in my original post.

I know Tails saved Station Square from Eggman, but then Sonic saved it from Chaos. Everyone has to beat Chaos at one point except maybe E-102 and Amy. I don't remember anymore.

I never really paid attention to the story much in Sonic 2 and 3 since it was almost non-existant/I was young at the time, but the multiplayer in that game is half-*****. To give the second player an invincible character is stupid, and it makes the game stupid since you can just make Tails do everything, and he can even prevent you from making mistakes by flying you places. It's like letting you're younger sibling play a throw away character so that you can say that you are actually playing together, but he or she has no significant impact on the game.
Lmao how ignorant can you be?
I was talking about the "Multiplayer" oh wait you never played I bet, you know racing against eachother?

SiD

Smash Master
HolyNightmare, I'm not agreeing that Tails was insignificant, but that multiplayer (yes I know what you're talking about) was crap.

SiD

Smash Master
It...it really wasn't good though.

It's like Sonic 06. I know it wasn't a good game, but I still enjoyed it. You enjoyed that crap multiplayer, good for you!

Cless

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I dunno, it was ok. I never really played it because, well, I never really had anyone with whom I could play. I still think SA2's racing was pretty tight.

Also, I don't think I ever said that Tails was insignificant. Just that he played a much larger support role than Luigi ever did. Luigi didn't really support Mario the way that Tails supports Sonic.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
It...it really wasn't good though.

It's like Sonic 06. I know it wasn't a good game, but I still enjoyed it. You enjoyed that crap multiplayer, good for you!
But Sonic 06 wasn't even bad, it just needed to be proprely finished.
Yes you have a point though, but the Sonic 2 multiplayer was still interesting because you could race through a whole level against your friend/brother.
Sonic 3 multiplayer was really weird, you had to like race through small portion level over and over bah...

SiD

Smash Master
Yeah, Sonic 3 multiplayer was hella weird.

Also, Luigi got his own game. Beat that Tails!

*Hides all copies of Tails' Sky Patrol*

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Also, I don't think I ever said that Tails was insignificant. Just that he played a much larger support role than Luigi ever did. Luigi didn't really support Mario the way that Tails supports Sonic.
If you mean support as in 'Wins Oscar for best supporting actor', I'd have to disagree with you. But if you mean what they're doing in that role, then yes, Tails does do a lot more for the specific purpose of helping Sonic than Luigi, who pretty much just does his own thing at the same time as Mario. That's excluding Superstar Saga, of course. Hella teamwork in that one.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Yeah, Sonic 3 multiplayer was hella weird.

Also, Luigi got his own game. Beat that Tails!

*Hides all copies of Tails' Sky Patrol*
Lol, Tails skypatrol is ****.
I can't believe you mentioned that horror, what about Tails Adventure the best game on gamegear?
Actually Tails had 3 games, 2 ****ty one and one good.

Cless

Smash Champion
If you mean support as in 'Wins Oscar for best supporting actor', I'd have to disagree with you. But if you mean what they're doing in that role, then yes, Tails does do a lot more for the specific purpose of helping Sonic than Luigi, who pretty much just does his own thing at the same time as Mario. That's excluding Superstar Saga, of course. Hella teamwork in that one.
I don't know what you mean by best supporting actor, but I mean the latter anyway. Luigi usually just goes about his business in Mario games with little to no impact upon anything, which is why I said that he would be more like Mario's partner instead of support, which is why I said that I would agree with Tails=Luigi to an extent.

Cless

Smash Champion
Anyone beside me here actually played Knuckles Chaotix?
Like Tails Adventure its a freaking awesome game, altough the linked rings can get annoying sometimes.
Was that for the Game Gear because despite my having a Game Gear, I only had about four games for it.

Garuda

Smash Ace
Ever since Gray Fox came into play, I'm really leaning a bit more on the chance that any and all of Sonic's friends would be assist trophies or have cameo roles of other kinds. I don't know squat about MGS, though, so there may be a major contradiction of some kind.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
That looked pretty cool, but what was with the tether between Espio and Mighty (I think).
Yeah the thing is that in this game your linked with another character by those rings they are holding.
So sometimes it can be annoying because the computer act ********, see Tails in Sonic 2/3 for a reference.

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
alright no more Nights, prob assist trophy but no more. Its probably gona be tails and/or knucks and one of them will be a PC and one will be an AT

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
alright no more Nights, prob assist trophy but no more. Its probably gona be tails and/or knucks and one of them will be a PC and one will be an AT
Ya know what...

How 'bout no more Tails or Knuckles...

How about that?

NiGHTS for Brawl!

Knuckles would be awesome...
But I just might want NiGHTS instead
I know that...

I was just saying Knuckles>Tails...

Personally I would like NiGHTS actually
Because NiGHTS is my favorite SEGA character, even more than Knuckles, and I'm a big Knuckles fan...

No, I can't think up a good moveset right now, I'm sure there is one in the NiGHTS thread. Even then, they could probably work one out...
NiGHTS for Brawl as second "Sonic" Character (Well, he's IN Sonic's Adventure)
Yes, because 2 hedgehogs are needed in Smash when the Sonic's series features a bunch of other unique characters...

How about one that happens to be a Nightmaren?
NiGHTS!!! Haha!!! Yes!

AND NO SHADOW
Oh no, what's this!?!

Ya know what...

How 'bout no more Tails or Knuckles...

How about that?

NiGHTS for Brawl!
Umm.... yes... we get it Psycho.
You want NiGHTs for brawl. :D

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Umm.... yes... we get it Psycho.
You want NiGHTs for brawl. :D
That person made me mad, and I didn't plan on returning for quite a while to post either

wow, did you really go to find all my posts...K...

Most of those times it was relevant anyway

That person made me mad, and I didn't plan on returning for quite a while to post either
I'm sorry that I offended you, I was actually trying to help the cause since I'm a huge Sega fanboy. I stopped pushing the Tails issue a while ago because no one cared. So... yeah. Sorry that I offended you again. I was just trying to help the cause...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm sorry that I offended you, I was actually trying to help the cause since I'm a huge Sega fanboy. I stopped pushing the Tails issue a while ago because no one cared. So... yeah. Sorry that I offended you again. I was just trying to help the cause...
That OTHER person did...

Most of those comments anyway were relavent to something or other

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually, technically none of them were relevant given the topic title.
Well, Sonic's icon is team Sonic's symbol and Team Sonic is making NiGHTS

NiGHTS was also a cameo in Sonic...that really doesn't help though

Eh, NiGHTs is made by Sonic Team and therefore is a Sonic character... oh wait. That doesn't work.
Well NiGHTs will be on the Wii this holiday so he stands a fighting chance by himself. I still think NiGHTs is worthy of discussion simply because he was made by Sonic Team...
Just like Super Monkey Ball and Billy Hatcher... never mind. Anyone but those two games.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Eh, NiGHTs is made by Sonic Team and therefore is a Sonic character... oh wait. That doesn't work.
Well NiGHTs will be on the Wii this holiday so he stands a fighting chance by himself. I still think NiGHTs is worthy of discussion simply because he was made by Sonic Team...
Just like Super Monkey Ball and Billy Hatcher... never mind. Anyone but those two games.
Whatever, it was because of Sonic's Adventure that I even found out about NiGHTS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom