• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could the Sonic series get a 2nd rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
In the SSB series, series' with large fanbases or popularity tend to get more then one rep (Mario, Poke'mon, etc.). Though Sonic is a thrid=party series, it's still a major series no doubt, which has spanned over two dozen games, a cartoon and anime, a comic, seires, you get what I'm saying, it's big :p. So, do you think the Sonic series deserves a second rep? And if you do, who should it be? Here's a few popular choices:

(This is assuming the second Sonic rep does NOT take up another third-party spot, assuming Sakurai's 1-2 Third-party characters still holds true)

Knuckles:

Ahhh, Knuckles. The first of Sonics "Friendly Rivals", Knuckles made his edbut back in the day with Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (but became playable in Sonic & Knuckles). His main duty is to guard the Master Emerald, and is willing to give his life to due so. He tends to be a bit rash and hotheaded, but his amazing punching, climbing, and gliding skills have made him a staple in the Sonic series.

For his inclusion in Brawl, I say it'd be awesome. Knuckles has always been one of my favorite characters in the Sonic series, and does have a strong fanbase, both on and off this site. Plus his moveset practically writes itself. The only thing I see going against Knuckles, is thoguh he's popular, his popularity has faded over the years in favor for characters like Shadow. Speaking of which....

Shadow:

Ahhh, a fairly new and very popular (going by the sales of hs self-titled game) character, Shadow the Hedgehog, hate it or love it, is a strog contender for a second Sonic rep. making his first debut in Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow is the the "Ultimate Lifeform", and just so happens to be a total Sonic rip-off. :p

Due to his extreme mainstream popularity, you gotta realize that Shadow is pretty likely for the second Sonic spot, if there is one. But I don't see how he could implemented in any way other than being a Sonic clone, which is a shame (well hell, he's a Sonic clone in the Sonic series too :p). It's a close cal on this one, one that is very divided. We'll see as time goes by.

Tails:

Ahh, lovable Tails. The well-known fox that somehow has two tails (uhhhh, stem cell research or something? There's gotta be some reason him and the Sonic crew pretend it's totally normal for a fox to have two tails :p) has been around since Sonic the Hedgehog 2. His abilities to fly and use amazing mechs and such, created due to his genius intelligence, would make him a very unique character for Brawl.

HOWEVER, Tails popularity nowadays is nothing compared to certain other characters, such as the ones above, so his chances of being Sonic's second rep is pretty slim. there's also those rumors floating around of him being an AT, so that's not good either. Sorry guys, but I don't see Tails being the second rep at this point. :(

There are many other characters that could get in, such as Amy, Eggman, etc. but I left them out due to the top three being the most realistic and popular choices. So there ya go. A pretty well thought-out post. SO go ahead and discuss, will the Sonic series get a second rep? If they do, who's it gonna be? Discuss! :)

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
the odds of there being a more than one sonic rep is pretty much zero, although i would LOVE it if sakurai proved me wrong. sonic is one of my favorite series and i would love to see more reps. i'm not getting my hopes up though.. personally i really want shadow. he is by far my favorite game character of the bunch. imo i think shadow has a lot more potential of being unique as opposed to a clone like most people think. sure, he at the least could be luigi-like cloned, with similar moves, but his specials would definitely be unique, such as chaos control teleporting for recovery, a projectile like move chaos spear which should be chargable, etc.... of course chaos blast would be his fs. despite the poor quality of recent sonic games like sonic 06, they still took it upon themselves to give shadow differences to sonic, which i like.

anyway, as much as i don't like tails and as much as i like knuckles more, tails would have a better chance than knuckles; according to sega's official poles a while ago, 1-sonic, 2-shadow, 3-tails, 4-knuckles

SonicMario

Smash Master
Most likeability not. Maybe next time? I did have a dream Tails was confirmed though... And I don't think any of my Prophecies have ever come true.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Sonic franchise shouldn't deserve a second playable representative, but most likely cameo appearances for Sonic's stage, like Tails boarding the Tornado and flying around ramming people, as Amy Rose and Cream and Cheese cheer in the background, or Knuckles punching a punching bag in the background or something to that degree. If Sonic Team does in fact give another character, I wouldn't be too surprised if it were NiGHTS.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
My money's on Tails as the second rep, if anyone. Knuckles only has a chance of being in if both Sonic and Tails are already in, and three reps ain't gonna happen.

As for Shadow. . .Play SA2 (The only game he was not a ****er tolerable in) and try to tell me he wouldn't be a clone character.

. . .Actually, now that I think about it, the developers would rather add a clone then an original, wouldn't they? (Slightly) More content, less work? Bleh. No cop outs, Sakurai!

ManBearPig_78

Smash Rookie
If it didnt affect the possibility of other 3rd party characters, I'd go with knuckles cause he'd have a more unique moveset than shadow (minus shadow's guns) and i just really dont like tails that much.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'd like to see tails more than Knuckles or shadow.

Tails is Sonic's Luigi. (or Luigi is Mario's Tails depending on how you look at it.) And would deserves to be in it more that Knuckles/shadow.

The next best thing would be knuckle, because he's more retro.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I did once say that a team battle with Sonic & Tails VS. Mario & Luigi would be the ultimate orgasm causing for any who started gaming in the 90's.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Knuckles would be awesome...

But I just might want NiGHTS instead

Tails was the second hero character added and has been in almost every game sonic has been. Knuckles was the fourth hero character added and has been in most of sonics game.
Shadow is an emo lad and doesn't deserve anything other then counseling.
Tails for Brawl.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
I would also pick Tails over Shadow and Knuckles, not only because he's more iconic but because is moveset would be interesting not to mention he's my favorite character.
My next choice would be Knuckles for sure, I really don't think Shadow deserve a spot in this game but thats just me.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I personally would love to see Knuckles or Tails really. Shadow was never really my thing even though he looks cool. I am more of a sonic 1-3 kinda guy. ^^

As for how realistic it is? I dunno I guess it could happen. Depends on how much cash Nintendo is willing to put out.

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet
Genius!

How dare you all forget Sonic's one true rival!

EGGMAN!

He's the only one who's been with Sonic since the beginning, and you know he'll have an insane moveset!

If Sonic gets a second rep (and that's a big if) it should definitely be the good doctor.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I believe that if the Sonic series does get a 2nd rep it would be Tails. After all you might argue he is not as "wanted" but when you think of Sonic's "partner" it would be Tails.

I'd like Knuckles to be the one to make it though, that is if there would be a 2nd rep.

Shadow should just be an alternate custome of Sonic, make Sonics hair Black and Red, and thats it, it wont be exactly Shadow, but it will be pretty darn close. Anyways, if they were to put Shadow he woudnt be a complete clone, he does have some unique movesets in games like Sonic: Battle. But still I'd like Knuckles to be the one.

maxieman

Smash Ace
anyone who says tails should get in over knuckles should be stabbed to death with a plastic spork

knuckles would be perfect for brawl (maybe even more so than sonic o...o) he is MADE for fighting

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yea, I mean, his Special moves are pretty much alredy done, and he could have a Tether-like recovery too, by punching the wall, and climbing back up to the stage.

SonicMario

Smash Master
So what if people want Tails over Knuckles? Listen, not everybody in Smash Bros. were "Made for fighting". Mr. Game & Watch and Captain Falcon are perfect examples of that. Not to mention Tails would be able to fly around using the gliding system. Sure he is not a born fighter in his series, but that what he has his inventions for. Anybody that says Tails can't be a good fighter should see Sonic Battle for the GBA now. And also Tails is 3rd most popular behind Shadow & Sonic. Knuckles is one place under at 4th place. Look, I'm not saying that I hate Knuckles. Knuckles is an awesome character. But saying he has that huge of a chance over Tails is just blasphemy. People underestimate Tails way too much, and I'm sick of it.

I'm also not saying that either of these characters will be in either. This is only if there just HAD to be, if Sakauri wanted another and Sega agreed (Which I bet they would if he asked). Tails, Knuckles, or Shadow are the top choices for a 2nd rep if there just had to be one. And no matter what you say all 3 have an almost equal amount of chance.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So what if people want Tails over Knuckles? Listen, not everybody in Smash Bros. were "Made for fighting". Mr. Game & Watch and Captain Falcon are perfect examples of that. Not to mention Tails would be able to fly around using the gliding system. Sure he is not a born fighter in his series, but that what he has his inventions for. Anybody that says Tails can't be a good fighter should see Sonic Battle for the GBA now. And also Tails is 3rd most popular behind Shadow & Sonic. Knuckles is one place under at 4th place. Look, I'm not saying that I hate Knuckles. Knuckles is an awesome character. But saying he has that huge of a chance over Tails is just blasphemy. People underestimate Tails way too much, and I'm sick of it.

I'm also not saying that either of these characters will be in either. This is only if there just HAD to be, if Sakauri wanted another and Sega agreed (Which I bet they would if he asked). Tails, Knuckles, or Shadow are the top choices for a 2nd rep if there just had to be one. And no matter what you say all 3 have an almost equal amount of chance.
I never said Tails sucked (although that other guy did) I have played Sonic: Battle, in fact just today I was :p, and really that game shows you how each character does have a unique set of moves (including Shadow).

As for your second statement it is my belief that if a 2nd rep was to be introduced NO, they do not have the same chance, Shadows would have less chance than both Knuckles and Tails, solely on his newcomer stance and his resemblence to Sonic, leaving him for an Alternate Custome would be best. Tails would still hold a higher chance than Knuckles being that he is Sonic's number one.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
anyone who says tails should get in over knuckles should be stabbed to death with a plastic spork

knuckles would be perfect for brawl (maybe even more so than sonic o...o) he is MADE for fighting
I'm getting pretty freaking tired of that fanboy bull. If Knuckles was 'MADE' for fighting, then I'm 'MADE' of lego.

It's ignorant. Just from a generalized tactical standpoint, an opponent like him with lots of power but no great shake on accuracy or specific defensive traits (Armor, a spiked shell, ect) gets mowed down by an opponent with superior agility and evasive skill. Sonic beats Knuckles like scissors beat paper. Want an SSB-Specific example? Put Fox and Donkey Kong in a small room and start up a match. Watch Fox make himself a Monkey-Fur winter coat. The moral of the story: Just because you can break a brick with your forehead doesn't mean you're the next Chuck Norris.

Besides, look at Jigglypuff's tier. Was Jiggy MADE for fighting? Peach?

As for the other thing: There's no way in hell Knuckles is getting in before Tails. It'd be like having ketchup on a cheeseburger without having the cheese (That'd be a much better metaphor if ground meat was blue.). And letting Sonic have three reps while Metroid, Starfox and Fire Emblem have one each is ridiculous. (Of course, that's just confirmed characters, but I'm not seeing more than one newcomer for Metroid.)

Basically: Knuckles chances of getting into Brawl are pretty much equal to MY chances of getting into the White House. Feel free to PM me a picture of a spork.

And don't even get me started on Shadow. :psycho:"This is who I am!":psycho:

SonicMario

Smash Master
That's because I was talking to the other guy.

As for Shadow. Ha that is why I Said keyword: ALMOST. I didn't say exactly they have the same chance. But you have to note Shadow's 2nd place popularity and what Sega would want because of it. Here's the situation if Sakuari wanted a 2nd Rep and what Sega's reaction would be:

Sakauri: Hello Sega buisness man. I'd like to ask for a 2nd rep from the Sonic series.

Sega: Oh Awesome! I think we have the obvious choice then.

Sakauri: Great! Who is it?

Sega: Why it's no other then Shadow the Hedgehog!

Sakauri: ....Wouldn't that be sort of copying Sonic?

Sega: Oh I assure you that Shadow is then 2nd most popular character in our polls. And thus we keep having him reappear.

Sakauri: But why not somebody like Tails or Knuckles? They'd have a more fun moveset for me to explore.

Sega: Oh sure, but they are 3rd & 4th. Less popular then Shadow. But you can put them as those Assist Trophys I've been hearing about. Oh! I have to leave now Sakauri, nice doing buisness with you.

Sakauri: Note to self... Don't ask for 2nd reps from a 3rd party company...

maxieman

Smash Ace
I dont eat cheese on my burger -.0 mwuahahahahaha

but really now I didnt say knuckles WOULD get in before tails i said he SHOULD, like plenty of other pokemon should have gotten in over jigglypuff (hitmonchan/hitmonlee) but nintendo took the high road for a more interesting moveset (wich worked) Knuckles is kind of like these guys. I would love to see him in because he is a born fighter but of course his moveset would be lacking (more bland than sonic's) so yes tails would most likely get in because of iconic value and a moveset that is unique BUT I still say knuckles would be a far better addition. Besides with so many bizarre attacks I wish there would be just ONE straight up fighter

EDIT: oh and I never said that tails sucks... and I'm not a fanboy of knuckles, in fact I would think I'm more of an Amy fan >.>

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
That's because I was talking to the other guy.

As for Shadow. Ha that is why I Said keyword: ALMOST. I didn't say exactly they have the same chance. But you have to note Shadow's 2nd place popularity and what Sega would want because of it. Here's the situation if Sakuari wanted a 2nd Rep and what Sega's reaction would be:

Sakauri: Hello Sega buisness man. I'd like to ask for a 2nd rep from the Sonic series.

Sega: Oh Awesome! I think we have the obvious choice then.

Sakauri: Great! Who is it?

Sega: Why it's no other then Shadow the Hedgehog!

Sakauri: ....Wouldn't that be sort of copying Sonic?

Sega: Oh I assure you that Shadow is then 2nd most popular character in our polls. And thus we keep having him reappear.

Sakauri: But why not somebody like Tails or Knuckles? They'd have a more fun moveset for me to explore.

Sega: Oh sure, but they are 3rd & 4th. Less popular then Shadow. But you can put them as those Assist Trophys I've been hearing about. Oh! I have to leave now Sakauri, nice doing buisness with you.

Sakauri: Note to self... Don't ask for 2nd reps from a 3rd party company...
Even though Shadow is a very popular char from the series I believe even Sega would still go with Tails.

To the above poster of the above post.

What he means is that Knuckles was made for fighting, you can say what you want about Speed>Power, but that doesnt change the facvt that Knuckles would probably be one of the most fun chars to use, and he IS made for fighting, look at his fists go****it.

The fact that Peach and Jigg don't look like an "I-Am-Going-To-Puch-Your-Face" character doesn't take away from the fact that Knuckles does.

Still I agree that Tails would be the choice for a 2nd rep. but I'd LIKE it to be Knuckles if there even is one...

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

but really now I didnt say knuckles WOULD get in before tails i said he SHOULD, like plenty of other pokemon should have gotten in over jigglypuff (hitmonchan/hitmonlee) but nintendo took the high road for a more interesting moveset (wich worked) Knuckles is kind of like these guys. I would love to see him in because he is a born fighter but of course his moveset would be lacking (more bland than sonic's) so yes tails would most likely get in because of iconic value and a moveset that is unique BUT I still say knuckles would be a far better addition. Besides with so many bizarre attacks I wish there would be just ONE straight up fighter

Wait... What? Knuckles can glide, climb, dig under earth, how does all this not make up for an interesting moveset?

maxieman

Smash Ace
Wait... What? Knuckles can glide, climb, dig under earth, how does all this not make up for an interesting moveset?
Yeah well I was just going by what he said of Knuckles not being as interesting as tails, factor in every upgrade he has gotten from the adventure series and youve got some sick attacks

SonicMario

Smash Master
I was just adding one of those "Poke fun at Sega" things again. Many people have done it before. Even Wiseguy has made his own Dialouge making fun of Sega. But it was WAY far back in his prediction thread.

maxieman

Smash Ace
I was just adding one of those "Poke fun at Sega" things again. Many people have done it before. Even Wiseguy has made his own Dialouge making fun of Sega. But it was WAY far back in his prediction thread.
Sega: IVE GOT IT!!! we make a game with sonic... but with guns and cars

staff: I LOVE IT!

staff: 10/10 SIR

meanwhile...

gamers: .......lets go play wind waker

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
At least you can BET if Tails doesn't make it in hes sure to be an assist trophy.

I wonder what he would do, some people would argue he could make you fly, but would you WANT to fly when you get him? Maybe you got a ground oriented char (like Sonic) and don't want to be on the air for a long amount of time.

vesperview

Smash Hero
This doesn't belong here all of those characters have their own threads in the Character discussion, they may come from the Sonic series but this thread has nothing to do with Sonic, with that said, they won't get a second rep, but if they do then Tails.

SonicMario

Smash Master
For some reason they have Tails as a Rumored one in an Assist Trophy thread. But that isn't confirmed. Which is weird the title said that it lists confirmed ones. Someone claims that he got the Assist Trophy item and Tails came out and disappeared but when is character was going to fall. Tails suddenly came and flew the guy's character back into the fray without a loss of points/stock. It is not confirmed if it is true.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace

EDIT: oh and I never said that tails sucks... and I'm not a fanboy of knuckles, in fact I would think I'm more of an Amy fan >.>
One straight up fighter? Falcon's just about as straight-up as you can get without being uninteresting. Ike is pretty much the same way, if you ignore the sword. Mario, not so much since he's got Fludd and fireballs, but other than that, he's fairly regular. So unless you're thinking of something like Bruce Lee, (Aka The Chinese God of Awesome) I think we're pretty good on 'Straight-Up' fighters.

BTW, I might have been a little harsh on Knux in my last post. Power does have a tactical role, it's just not against dodgers. (Pretty good against someone like Samus or Link, though.) I guess I just let my inner troll get the better of me for a minute there. (Sporks self)

Taisuru

Smash Rookie
If it did, I would rather have Knuckles, even though I'm a Shadow fan. Shadow should be alt costume/color.

And I don't really care for tails...

Tails is freaking awesome. Knuckles is el loser.
Now that I'm done with the fanboy statement, let me tell you why I believe Tails is better:
-Tails can fly. Knuckles can glide. Tails could make more use out of an aerial moveset then Knuckles.
-Tails invents stuff to use in battle (see Sonic Battle). Knuckles has friggin huge fists. Tails could have a much more unique moveset then Knuckles "Big fists".
-Tails has been around longer. Not by much, but I would like to think it helps.
-Tails has been Sonic's main side kick for years and Knuckles is Sonic's rival. It's like saying Wario should get in over Luigi (let's hope that doesn't happen...nah).
-Tails owns.
Done.

maxieman

Smash Ace
even if tails did get in and even with his unique moveset I really think hed be low-bottom tier just because hes really not that great a character (and his machines cant even pack more of a punch than sonic/knuckles.. but who knows they may up the anty on smash)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom