• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could the crap updates be killing the hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Yes, I said the updates where crap. I am glad we get weekday updates, but the thing is, the updates are either boring, they're unimportant, or they're just flat out crap. We had an entire update delivered so Sakurai could show us a glorified color change for Wario. It didn't deserve an entire update, it deserved a passing mention in an update that mattered. When we where getting character updates bi-weekly I was excited about checking the site, now it's just another thing I do in the morning. I just find it boring now. Is it just me, or did the boring updates kill the hype?

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Yea.. they killed the hype for me, but the recent SSE Movie brought it back.. a little.

XACE-K

Smash Master
The hype didn't die,it just dissapeared but will return the closer it becomes January 24th.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
I think the lack of good updates may actually be helping the hype in some cases.

People are going to be more eager to see what the hell is in the **** game, since they're not really telling us anything great. Characters really comes to mind in this case.

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
The only people who will even notice that the updates have sucked lately are people who are already at least a little crazy over the game.

I don't think it's killed the hype at all. It's certainly ruined my enthusiasm for the Dojo, but not the game.

We've been so long without a character, imagine the reaction when something big finally comes out again, or in the week prior to the Japanese release.

Ninja-Z

Smash Rookie
If your anticipation of Brawl relies entirely upon the Dojo updates, then I question your interest in the game. Why put your future enjoyment of a game on the line just because you don't know everything about it prior to playing?

At any rate, giving you character updates every week or so just isn't possible, because Sakurai actually wants some aspects of Brawl to remain hidden until its release so we can discover them as we play. A hard concept to swallow, what with many using the internet for spoilers, but it makes playing the game in the end much more satisfying. Who knows? Geno / Mega Man / *Insert Requested Character Here* might not appear in a Dojo update, but they just might pop up suddenly when playing Brawl in February. It's satisfaction that is rarely found in today's games, often killed by the rapid spread of information on the web.

If you don't like the updates on the Dojo, then nobody's forcing you to check it every morning. If they're killing the hype for you, then maybe it is for the best that you don't go there. For me and others, though, it provides details that, no matter how minute, flesh out the experience and let us know that Brawl just might be one of the Wii's best games.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
The only people who will even notice that the updates have sucked lately are people who are already at least a little crazy over the game.

I don't think it's killed the hype at all. It's certainly ruined my enthusiasm for the Dojo, but not the game.

We've been so long without a character, imagine the reaction when something big finally comes out again, or in the week prior to the Japanese release.
I disagree. Casual fans want to know what characters are in it. Anyone can see there's been a lack of characters lately. Someone asked me mid-late november what about brawl was new, and since nothing that would interest a really casual fan had been released I just said "nothing", and felt I hadn't gyped him.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
I think they are getting better.
And also... MAYBE THOSE ARE ALL THE STARTING CHARACTERS!!! Think about it: if there was more, he would've revealed them.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Or people that could really care less about a "shoot the trophies" mode, which is most everyone.

The problem is, a lot of people will forget about the game. They'll check up on it religiously for a while, but when it gets boring they'll stop caring and forget.

The Japanese release will give it hype, not the Dojo I think.
10 character

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
People that complain about the 7/10 rating updates we've been getting lately are spoiled, and should stop. I dont complain about updates, but a Character one would be nice.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
Eh. Over it.
We have a week long break to deal with. I'd rather have garbage updates than no updates.
I think our frustration makes the hype greater.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
I think casual players have been somewhat turned off... i think nintendo will get smart, and will have saved all the good updates for these last few weeks.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
If your anticipation of Brawl relies entirely upon the Dojo updates, then I question your interest in the game. Why put your future enjoyment of a game on the line just because you don't know everything about it prior to playing?

At any rate, giving you character updates every week or so just isn't possible, because Sakurai actually wants some aspects of Brawl to remain hidden until its release so we can discover them as we play. A hard concept to swallow, what with many using the internet for spoilers, but it makes playing the game in the end much more satisfying. Who knows? Geno / Mega Man / *Insert Requested Character Here* might not appear in a Dojo update, but they just might pop up suddenly when playing Brawl in February. It's satisfaction that is rarely found in today's games, often killed by the rapid spread of information on the web.

If you don't like the updates on the Dojo, then nobody's forcing you to check it every morning. If they're killing the hype for you, then maybe it is for the best that you don't go there. For me and others, though, it provides details that, no matter how minute, flesh out the experience and let us know that Brawl just might be one of the Wii's best games.
My anticipation of Brawl is unquenchable, but it feels better when the Dojo is giving interesting updates. I'll concede things have been interesting recently, but not nearly as interesting as they SHOULD be given the proximity to release. I will thus not complain any more that there will be a week absent for updates. Only that, if the Dojo continues to peter out mediocrity up until release, it will have failed as a Hype Machine like its designed.

My hype for Brawl surpasses almost anyting. I had no hype for Galaxy and was pleasantly surprised. I feel compelled to digest each new tidbit of info. Its frustrating when they arent interesting. I don't see what the problem is.

And the defense of "it can't be a character every day" is easily countered with "then the updates schedule was planned poorly, due to the GAPING CHARACTER DROUGHT"

Ninja-Z

Smash Rookie
My anticipation of Brawl is unquenchable, but it feels better when the Dojo is giving interesting updates. I'll concede things have been interesting recently, but not nearly as interesting as they SHOULD be given the proximity to release. I will thus not complain any more that there will be a week absent for updates. Only that, if the Dojo continues to peter out mediocrity up until release, it will have failed as a Hype Machine like its designed.

My hype for Brawl surpasses almost anyting. I had no hype for Galaxy and was pleasantly surprised. I feel compelled to digest each new tidbit of info. Its frustrating when they arent interesting. I don't see what the problem is.

And the defense of "it can't be a character every day" is easily countered with "then the updates schedule was planned poorly, due to the GAPING CHARACTER DROUGHT"
Let me ask you, then, what classifies as a quality update based on its proximity to the game's release. Some would say it is a new character, but others believe it's a new mode, stage, etc. Some even welcome the new details such as the trophy shooter, which turned a luck-based procedure in Melee into something that's a bit more involving. It's no Snake or Sonic, granted, but to call it "mediocrity" is a stretch. I'd love to see a new character as much as the next person, don't get me a wrong. There's just no way that everybody can be satisfied by the updates, character or otherwise.

And your claim that the Dojo will fail as a hype machine if it doesn't suit your tastes is laughable. Are you saying that the inclusion of Snake and Sonic, a stage builder mode, a new and vastly improved adventure mode, plenty of new stages and characters, the option to choose your own music for each stage, customizable control schemes, online play, sending photos and stages to friends, and the addition of AT trophies will not be able to make up for a low-key month of updates prior to the games release? Perhaps I view updates differently than you, but with the information released thus far, they could stop updates for good right now and I would still anticipate the game just as much as if all this information was moved closer to the game's release. The spacing doesn't matter so much as the actual content, really, and what we've got so far is a megaton of fanboy pleasing material.

Many games don't have access to this sort of material, so even if the updates do not match the material found in earlier months, its still more than many developers are willing to share. If you are still insistent upon deeming the game's hype destroyed, then I guess that's how you can view it.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
The updates can;t kill the hype, only no information for a while can =O For me, it doesnt necessarily "kill" the hype; it just makes me not as hyped as the game as of now and that helps alot. Makes waiting much easier =]

Right now I'm hyped for Devil May Cry 4 because of the new trailer o_o Hype just comes and goes for me. My hype never disappears, just stays inside until something awesome comes up :D

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Let me ask you, then, what classifies as a quality update based on its proximity to the game's release. Some would say it is a new character, but others believe it's a new mode, stage, etc. Some even welcome the new details such as the trophy shooter, which turned a luck-based procedure in Melee into something that's a bit more involving. It's no Snake or Sonic, granted, but to call it "mediocrity" is a stretch. I'd love to see a new character as much as the next person, don't get me a wrong. There's just no way that everybody can be satisfied by the updates, character or otherwise.

And your claim that the Dojo will fail as a hype machine if it doesn't suit your tastes is laughable. Are you saying that the inclusion of Snake and Sonic, a stage builder mode, a new and vastly improved adventure mode, plenty of new stages and characters, the option to choose your own music for each stage, customizable control schemes, online play, sending photos and stages to friends, and the addition of AT trophies will not be able to make up for a low-key month of updates prior to the games release? Perhaps I view updates differently than you, but with the information released thus far, they could stop updates for good right now and I would still anticipate the game just as much as if all this information was moved closer to the game's release. The spacing doesn't matter so much as the actual content, really, and what we've got so far is a megaton of fanboy pleasing material.

Many games don't have access to this sort of material, so even if the updates do not match the material found in earlier months, its still more than many developers are willing to share. If you are still insistent upon deeming the game's hype destroyed, then I guess that's how you can view it.
I claim the games hype damaged, not destroyed. As a Hype Machine, I do call into question the way things have been released and the timing. Sonic was the lollipop the doctor gave you after he jabs a needle into your arm. He created tons of hype among a very disappointing bit of information, so he was well placed.

However, timing IS everything. The rest of the characters could and should have been spread out. The updates, we know for sure, are planned in advance. Thus, they had to have known about the infamous "delay" for some time. Releasing Dedede sometime in december would have been nice. There still would have been a character gap, but then it would have been quenched, and hype would have rose for the Kirby and giant robed penguin fans.

I'm glad you can keep your hype in this time of drought. But in my view, I already know and have taken for granted a lot of Brawls features. I will enjoy the heck out of them, but as for right now, the line between hype and utter frustration is blurring.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Let me ask you, then, what classifies as a quality update based on its proximity to the game's release. Some would say it is a new character, but others believe it's a new mode, stage, etc. Some even welcome the new details such as the trophy shooter, which turned a luck-based procedure in Melee into something that's a bit more involving. It's no Snake or Sonic, granted, but to call it "mediocrity" is a stretch. It's mediocre. This is a fighting game, not DefenderI'd love to see a new character as much as the next person, don't get me a wrong. There's just no way that everybody can be satisfied by the updates, character or otherwise.
But you can please a larger majority with better updates
And your claim that the Dojo will fail as a hype machine if it doesn't suit your tastes is laughable. No ones laughing Are you saying that the inclusion of Snake and Sonic, a stage builder mode, a new and vastly improved adventure mode, plenty of new stages and characters, the option to choose your own music for each stage, customizable control schemes, online play, sending photos and stages to friends, and the addition of AT trophies will not be able to make up for a low-key month of updates prior to the games release? When did anyone say that? And it's not just this month, November was overall crap to. Perhaps I view updates differently than you, but with the information released thus far, they could stop updates for good right now and I would still anticipate the game just as much as if all this information was moved closer to the game's release. The spacing doesn't matter so much as the actual content, really, and what we've got so far is a megaton of fanboy pleasing material. If it's so pleasing, then why is it killing the hype for some?

If you build up awesome hype one month, and then fail to deliver the next, people will get pissed, and your hype will die..

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
I disagree. Casual fans want to know what characters are in it. Anyone can see there's been a lack of characters lately. Someone asked me mid-late november what about brawl was new, and since nothing that would interest a really casual fan had been released I just said "nothing", and felt I hadn't gyped him.
This man speaks sense.
I'm getting rather sick of being called "Ungrateful" because I think "COIN LAUNCHER YAY"
was ****ing worthless as an update. This update does nothing to hype the game.

I went around telling my friends (all casual players) there was a coin launcher minigame.

Nobody seemed excited.

Also, check these out:

"Bonsly is now available from a Pokéball." "What's a Bonsly?"

"Dragoon comes in three parts, once you get them you can pwn the enemy." "Isn't that just a final smash? That's a lame idea."
(Though I personally actually think it's quite cool)

"You can get Wario's old costume back!" "Duh."

"Waluigi is an assist trophy." "AWWW MAN!"

I don't see how these updates hype the game.

JohnnyInThePants

Smash Apprentice
I claim the games hype damaged, not destroyed. As a Hype Machine, I do call into question the way things have been released and the timing. Sonic was the lollipop the doctor gave you after he jabs a needle into your arm. He created tons of hype among a very disappointing bit of information, so he was well placed.

However, timing IS everything. The rest of the characters could and should have been spread out. The updates, we know for sure, are planned in advance. Thus, they had to have known about the infamous "delay" for some time. Releasing Dedede sometime in december would have been nice. There still would have been a character gap, but then it would have been quenched, and hype would have rose for the Kirby and giant robed penguin fans.

I'm glad you can keep your hype in this time of drought. But in my view, I already know and have taken for granted a lot of Brawls features. I will enjoy the heck out of them, but as for right now, the line between hype and utter frustration is blurring.
Agreed. The Dojo should function like a hype machine. A more even character spread should have occurred to maintain the hype in the hearts of the fans. It's kind of sad, maybe Sakurai doesn't realize how easily he could capitalize on the fact that alot of people worship the Dojo like it were a deity. :(

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Most of the updates have sucked, but nothing can kill the hype for me, even if Sakurai gives us:

"In this game you press and hold the control stick right to move your character right, left to move your character left, down to crouch, and get this...UP TO JUMP! We have truly thought of everything!"

The Director

Smash Lord
For me the hype kind of died right after the delay...the crap updates don't help, that's for sure.

It's slowly starting to come back now, though with only 42 days left...

Ninja-Z

Smash Rookie

Personally, I see no point in getting frustrated over the Dojo updates. It's one thing if I've been looking forward to a game for a long time and I find out prior to its release that it sucks; that I can understand venting about. But lack of information? Disappointment, sure. Elimination of some hype? Don't see the point, but or some people, okay. Frustration? Calm down! It's almost entirely guaranteed that the game is going to be fun; why bother with such stress?

But in the end, I guess it depends on perspective. I take whatever information is provided regardless of pacing. Sonic did have good timing, but I don't think it had as much to do with the delay as it did with his appearance at E For All. I think Sakurai was just as surprised as us that the higher-uppers ordered a delay, and as a result his plan to make the last month of updates a little more low-key had to be stretched out to three months. Despite that, I'm still happy because what they have revealed is enough to tide me over. For others, that may not be the case. I don't understand it, but I suppose they have the right to complain.

If you build up awesome hype one month, and then fail to deliver the next, people will get pissed, and your hype will die..
If you're going to reply with comments that boil down to "The updates suck, everybody thinks that," then don't bother. At least be like Kittah4 and back up your opinions. Show me proof that the Coin Launcher is so unanimously hated and I'll start listening.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace

If you don't like the updates, don't read them. The game is coming out really soon anyway. Sorry if I sound like a jerk though.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
SWF kinda messed me up. If there wasn't a bajillion threads predicting what the next update is going to be, should be, WILL be, going on supposed 'leaks', and anticipating 'new info!!' with every coming date and event, it wouldn't sting as bad when I see an update that doesn't make me go 'Wow!'.

But when I look at the big picture, I don't care as much. Brawl is still going to be awesome, and it's coming out Real Soon Now. So I don't really care anymore, I'm ready for my mind to get blown come Jan/Feb.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
10 character
If you think the game is going to suck just because you thought some updates on the site werent "good enough" then you probably arent going to spend 50 dollars on the game either way...

But the fact that you bother to check Dojo everyday just shows that you're going to buy the game even if you had acouple months of "bad updates"

By the way, I like that i can shoot trophies with coins Thankyouverymuch.

Also character updates arent everything. Once you unlock all of the characters, is the game going to all of a sudden suck?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Also character updates arent everything. Once you unlock all of the characters, is the game going to all of a sudden suck?
That quote was amazing.

But in regard to this thread, it's not gone, it's hibernating at the most. I think the updates have gotten a lot better than they were in November and early December, although I was never really one of the people that said "OMG the updates suck"

AllanT

Smash Apprentice
sure, to some people the updates are crap, but think about it, some people only discovered the dojo today- and they're probably really hyped up.

it's because we already know too much- sakurai has given us so many things already, making many updates very predictable. don't believe me?

well then, go and watch the first movie for SSBB they released... the one with all of the newcommers.
now go and look at the fall 2007 conference movie..
what if the fall 2007 conference movie was released on oh say... june 3rd? that would be THE update. you would be so hyped up.

what many do not realize is that sakurai is telling us what the entire game is like- just slowly. he's already working his butt off giving us updates- he's the freakin producer... give the guy some respect!

LEAVE SAKURAI ALOOOONNNEEE!!!!!!

about that ^ ...... sorry i had to do it rofl.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
When I found out that the Site was taking a break for a week, my face exploded.

NF Alex

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, I don't see why people care so much about the updates anymore. The Japanese release is less than a month away, and after that we'll know everything.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Another thing is that some people are sort of hypocritical about the whole update thing. "Oh, the updates are less interesting due to the delay" yet once December hit, people are no longer going to stand by that.

If you want to say the updates were less interesting due to the delay, take it all the way... the delay was two months, and that means two months of less interesting updates by that logic. End of October started dropping off, November was a less interesting in general, and the first half of December was somewhat bland. Now, with the end of December, the updates have picked up, at least, I think they have.

Even if January has terrible updates, like Metaknight's Special moves for the third, forth, and fifth time, the game will be out on the 24th, and likely leaked before that by a kid who steals it from a shipment or an employee to takes it early. I'd say we have two weeks, maybe two and a half at most, before the game is revealed in it's entirety...

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
Why the hell do you/people think these are bad updates? Stafy, Waluigi, Frigate Orpheon, Coin Launcher, etc are all crap? Your logic is flawed.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
omg another one of these crap thread. First of all SSBB was suppose to be released on Dec. 3. They only changed the dates to improve the game. Not add more features everyday that it was push back. Think before you post. Nintendo had a certain amount of updates they wanted to release. Since it was push back they had to add more updates without releasing what they didnt want to in the beggining. Thus telling us other useless update to fill up the days until launch date.

brawl_maniac

Smash Journeyman
What will he update after the week of no updates?

Well, i think he will put crappy upates until the week of no updates begins.So, on that week when the updates come back, he might drop the bomb and reveal a good update.He probably will not update on that certain week to get people hyped up for his next update.That update might be the best update yet.It could be the release date being pushed forward, new character, Miis, who knows what it could be.

On that Monday, when the week of no updates ends, Sakurai might revel something awsome if he won't update for a whole week.I'm hpoing for a new character or the release date being pushed forward.

ssbmaster2007

Smash Journeyman
Well, all of these disappointing updates lately have had me a little less excited about brawl, I still am incredibly excited about it coming out 6 weeks from tomorrow (can't believe it is finally so close! :)).

Before, my excitement was uncontrollable, especially outside of the Internet, I would bring it up several times a day, "X days until Brawl comes out!" or "X days until February 10th!" or "X weeks until Brawl comes out!" etc. :p

Now, most days, I don't even bring it up, I can keep it to myself for the most part, my level of hype is manageable now, rather than the unhealthy days of always thinking and talking about Super Smash Brothers Brawl. :D

I'm really looking forward to it, but I am willing to wait fairly quietly for it for a while longer, fortunately, the wait is almost over, so long as no problems of getting a copy of it arises for me, because I intend to get it day 1 (on the very day of it's release; Feb. 10, '08).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The updates may not be the best, but they still are DAILY UPDATES ON NEW STUFF. No other game has done that, not even Melee (They had weekly updates)

And I don't see how learing Wario has a seperate costume would lessen the hype of Subspace, Stage editor, New characters, ONLINE and everything else that's included.

It's the best game ever. Who the hell cares about hype anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom