• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Brawl save the side-scrolling platformer?

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I remember a time in gaming when the standard in a game, even in 3D games (ps1, i'm looking at you) was the side-scrolling platformer. Then Mario 64 and Spyro came out, and I think you'll agree with me when I say they are awesome games.

But so are Super Mario Bros 3, Tomba, Gex, Johnny Bazookatone and Super Mario World. All side-scrollers.

The side-scrolling platformer (sometimes with a beat-em-up flavor) was the norm for a long time. But in today's current age in gaming, it is a very rare release. And with the exception of the DS and GBA, none of the systems (PSP included) seem to get very many of them produced.

I played New Super Mario Bros, and I was extremley happy with it. I loved playing an old school style side scroller. But aside from the Viewtiful Joe series (which, I have to say, was terrific.), there just havent been side scrollers released for home consoles recently. Super Paper Mario was the last one I can think of, and it was really good, but was more RPG than Platformer. I think Little Big Planet is a side scroller...can't think of much else not on a hand held.

Anyway (sorry for the rambling), I was EXTREMLEY happy when I found out that Brawl was having a full-on single player story game. I nearly craped a brick of excitement when I found out it was not only a platformer, but a side scroller.

Nothing against 3D platformers, this genre brings some of the best games to us (Galaxy), but so did the side-scroller. I can't help but wonder, with Brawl as high-profile as it is, it could introduce the side-scroller to a new generation of gamers. Gamers that werent around from the NES-SNES-PS1 era. If the Subspace Emissary, not just the fighting portion, of Brawl is a hit, then it may just save this wonderful genre that we just don't get much of anymore. Especially since, from just seeing vids of the side scrolling levels, they have that classic Nintendo-side-scroller-feel that made so many Mario, Kirby, DK, and Yoshi games the gems that they were.

And even those who will buy this as fighting game fanboys, you can bet they'll play Subspace if for no other reason that to unlock characters. Maybe this can turn this group on to the side scroller as well.

Idk, maybe this is all just wishful thinking. As much as I like the 3D platformer, I miss the side scroller. I am hoping that Brawl can save the genre, and we will start getting a good, even mix of both.

ro0kie42

Smash Apprentice
If they have timers on each level, it will add so much replayability for me. I love going through super mario world 2's levels trying to beat them as fast as possible (without any powerups, that's right, no flying over enemies). It's so fun trying to dodge enemies or hopping off one high over a wall while still sprinting. Also, it has five difficulty levels, but seriously, who's gonna play anything other than intense? haha.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah, I have to agree. Platformers rock, and I like the side scrollers too.

I just wish they would make a good side scrolling Sonic game for the Wii... oh well, we have smash, but I need Knuckles.. lol

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I don't think it needs to be saved, but Subspace Emissary looks incredible fun. If you ask me it's the reason I'm starting to think Viewtiful Joe would be so perfect for this game...

But Sonic sidescrollers and THE Mario sidescroller (yes, all 1 of them in the last 15 years) have helped keep the genre alive. They're always good :p I really want Nintendo to realise that NSMB was too easy and short, and for them to make another Mario platformer :mad: I missed them!

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Side scrollers will be around for a while thanks to the DS and other hand-helds. And some series will always stay the same. Look at Street Fighter 4 for example. A new cell shaded 3-D look, but still side scrolling action.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
I love side scrollers too, but SSE isn't really a platformer. As fun as it looks, the core platformer gameplay isn't going to be good. It's to be excepted though when you're still using the fighting engine's control.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sonic series went down hill when they went 3D... Side-Scrolling Sonic games where awesome. I miss them, I wish Mario and Sonic still made their classic side-scrollers.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Technically Brawl is not a side scroller, Chances are that it only has the element of it because of SSE, overall though We need a game that could....

Kruton

Smash Ace
If it could be considered a side scroller, it would by far be the most complex one ever made. With X amount of characters (35+) with connecting stories, unique bosses, upgrading the X amount of characters with stickers, it's replay value for 'capturing' bosses and villains and for upping the difficulty, plus much more I'm sure we don't even know about, no game could come close to it.

All we would need for it are some mad speed runs when the game's been out for a while. :chuckle:

[New Super Mario Bros. is an amazing game btw]

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
My favorite is action RPG where as you battle, you improve the stats of your character with equipment. I also LOVE 2D Platformers. I love Co-Op games as well. Brawl in now the best game ever:

Action-Adventure-RPG-2D-Platform-Fighter with Co-Op + Vs Mode

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
Ahh yes..

I had so much fun with side scrollers in the 90's.

At least until SEGA decided to **** up Sonic.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
My favorite is action RPG where as you battle, you improve the stats of your character with equipment. I also LOVE 2D Platformers. I love Co-Op games as well. Brawl in now the best game ever:

Action-Adventure-RPG-2D-Platform-Fighter with Co-Op + Vs Mode
Pretty much. I believe the only other games in my recent memory that probably were this awesome were the likes of Treasure's Guardian Heroes (Saturn) and, well, Sakurai's former magnum opus, Kirby Super Star (because Brawl is certainly going to be that now!).

It's my hope that not only will Brawl really up the ante for how much in the way of content that games can stand to have, but also will do more to save platformers, side-scroller brawlers and hell, maybe the fighting game genre itself.

I mean, when you think about the last generation, and how the pickings were becoming increasingly slim as time went on (we started out with the likes Viewtiful Joe and Klonoa, and then only had the likes of Sonic and Mario to look forward to), it made me sad. Ideally, Smash's success will inspire many "me-toos" to rise up to the plate. Capcom, Konami and Treasure....I'm looking in your direction. :chuckle:

JayceMJ

Smash Apprentice
Technically Brawl is not a side scroller, Chances are that it only has the element of it because of SSE, overall though We need a game that could....
Technically Smash has been a mix of Fighter and Platformer/Side Scroller since the first one. It's inherently a side scroller. I've seen some vids of fights vs the GREAP with Pit. It looked like how a platformer should play. If you take out the knock back aspect it's hardly any different from any other side scroller aside from the ability to block and dodge. After they add some hard jumps and some difficult puzzles you have a full blown side scrolling adventure.

imabeast78

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai has done what he wanted to do with melee. He was given enough time to put in a story type mode. This is the epicness I've been missing in my nintendo games.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
Side-scrollers are fun and all and a full game can be made, but that's best left to the portables these days because of the instant action nature of them. Side-scrollers have a good place as a mini-game or part of the gameplay, like a level or certain areas in console games though.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
The donkey sse looks like its going to be nice. Shooting through barrels FTW.
i know, right? its very Nintendo-ish.

and anybody still think Viewtiful Joe shouldn't be in this game? A super-hero from a SIDE-SCROLLING BEAT-EM-UP PLATFORMER with a complete moveset that won GOTY on the GCN, not to mention has EXTREMELY awesome theme music and every single game he has been in has at least appeared on a Nintendo system, if not been exclusive. Oh no, there is NO WAY he would fit in Brawl. It's not like it would be a perfect fit or a match made in heaven or anything. Nope, not at all.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
ya i'm looking forward to this there hasn't been a really good platformer game in a long time this should fill my needs for a good platformer experience

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman
Is Kirby considered a side scroller? The subspace emmissary reminds me a lot of the Kirby series and I wish that more people played Kirby games just to see how awesome they are =).

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Is Kirby considered a side scroller? The subspace emmissary reminds me a lot of the Kirby series and I wish that more people played Kirby games just to see how awesome they are =).
I played Squeak Squad and Tilt n'Tumble

courte

Smash Lord
i had the oddest thought
you how in other games you'll be on some quest and there will be other NPC pc controlled characters who appear, although you can not EVER fight as them??
aside form at's in brawl, do you think they would place the appearance of other characters in Subspace, as somewhat of a homage to them?? or does sakurai know just how painful that would be??

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Sonic series went down hill when they went 3D... Side-Scrolling Sonic games where awesome. I miss them, I wish Mario and Sonic still made their classic side-scrollers.
One of the prime reasons why I hate Sonic today, Sega revived his already battered-corpse and made him attract the kids who're still praising over his announcement in Brawl.

Sonic was indeed awesome in the 2D era but his 3D games BLOW and the kids buying those games are too young to realize good statistics of a game, so they will continue to release crappy 3D titles. Remember Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic for the PS2-3 and Xbox 360? Yeah...

If anyone remembers 8 to 16-bit side scrolling as the 'core' of gaming. I call you, hard-core. :)

Yes, it will be nice to experience such a mini-version of the genre in Brawl's adventure mode as well as the fact that it's co-op.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
The DS and PSP is currently the home to many side scrollers now. There even a lot of 2D side scrollers, especially with Castlevania and Contra.

courte

Smash Lord
yea aren't they making 2.5D sonic games for the DS and PSP??

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
yea aren't they making 2.5D sonic games for the DS and PSP??
Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure are kind of like that. Sonic and Blaze are 3D and the boss battles are too while the normal stages plays just like 2D Sonics.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
What, you were happy that it was a sidescroller opposed to it being 3-D? I kid! No, I' EXTREMELY glad that the SSE was made as a platformer. I sincerely hope that it blends sidescrolling and Smash perfectly!

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
Totally agree with TC. Emissary rules my thoughts, especially with this Stick Power-Up concept. Genious Mr. Sakurai, genious.

Perhaps I should learn how to spell "genius" before I use the word. Doy doy doy, I like mayonnaise!

Top Bottom