• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Brawl save the side-scrolling platformer?

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
One of the prime reasons why I hate Sonic today, Sega revived his already battered-corpse and made him attract the kids who're still praising over his announcement in Brawl.

Sonic was indeed awesome in the 2D era but his 3D games BLOW and the kids buying those games are too young to realize good statistics of a game, so they will continue to release crappy 3D titles. Remember Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic for the PS2-3 and Xbox 360? Yeah...

If anyone remembers 8 to 16-bit side scrolling as the 'core' of gaming. I call you, hard-core. :)

Yes, it will be nice to experience such a mini-version of the genre in Brawl's adventure mode as well as the fact that it's co-op.
SSE is not gonna be a 'mini-version'. It will be a complete version!

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
2D platformers were once the order of the day in the past because 3D graphics were not possible, but these days 3D platformers are making their 2D counterparts obsolete, at least in the eyes of most gamers and developers. There have been very few great 2D platformers in recent years, so many players are losing interest in them or growing out of them. And in turn, developers make even less of them. Thus it is a downward spiral.
2D games in general are going out of style.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Its very possible. And I REALLY hope so.

I grew up playing Donkey Kong country, and when I saw the video of the SSE level where you play Donkey And Diddy blasting off from barrel to barrel, a tear dropped.

Its just extremely nostalgic, the joy of playing those games.

=)

courte

Smash Lord
who ever said 2d games are going out of style... look at a list of all the GOOD fighting games
and the reason handhelds sold so well

HuskytheGeek

Smash Journeyman
I really hope so. I'll never get a true Donkey Kong Country 4, but I can dream right? Also, who doesn't Kirby's Dream Land 4? How come every good platforming series stopped after the third installment (Super Mario Bros. too!)?

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
who ever said 2d games are going out of style... look at a list of all the GOOD fighting games
and the reason handhelds sold so well
All of the GOOD 2D fighting games besides Guilty Gear, such as Street Fighter 3 and Marvel vs Capcom 2, were released at least 7 years ago.
And I don't know which handhelds you're referring to. The majority of the games on both the DS and PSP are 3D and those handhelds are thriving on 3D games.
I doubt side scrolling games will ever completely disappear (at least not as long as Nintendo and Mario are around), but based on the trends that we're seeing, it seems that 2D games will cease to be an important factor in the gaming market in a few years.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Yes. LBP can also save side scrolling platformers, the game looks incredible and unique.

AkA`Mr.Wigz

Smash Apprentice
I think Brawl has a better chance of mainstreaming Nintendo's WFC.

The SSE mechanics are very similar to Kirby's (IMO) so it should be in good hands.

KaosAssassin

Smash Apprentice
Sidescrollers are awesome and I hope this one beats all sidescrollers I have played the SSE might just be one aspect of this game but it could play as it's own game

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong Country 4 would be a dream come true, and it would be all thanks to Brawl.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong Country 4 would be a dream come true, and it would be all thanks to Brawl.
that would be AWESOME! New Super Mario Bros was essentially Super Mario Bros 4, so I guess it's possible.

I honestly am also hoping for Capcom to be in Brawl for this reason: If SSE gets publishers thinking about doing Side Scrolling platformers again, then Little Big Planet makes their final decision a 'yes', it is VERY possible we might finally get Viewtiful Joe 3.

Top Bottom