• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Corrin Social - Still Fire Emblem Social

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
i think my corrin is good, but then i run into a good bayonetta player...

bayo can go stick witch time right up her ***. i shouldn't fall for it but it gets me everytime. it's like shield breaker for me.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Tts funny how Corrin ended up being more loved than Bayo, what are you guys thoughts on the Lucas matchup?
Recently been a matchup ive played a lot oh my god it is so much fun
Characters that are "OP" on release get a lot more usage until people figure how to deal with them. The inexperience and how punishing Corrin's moveset makes for some easy wins, and winning is fun for most people. Unless you are MK in brawl, then you just kill the game.

I fully expect Bayonetta to pick up steam once people figure how to play her properly.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
As far as Mewtwo goes, I'd argue Shadow Ball is one of the best projectiles in the game. It's just what Mewtwo needs to compete with Corrin's disjoints.

He might even be able to punish F-smash with it, though I haven't tested this. I haven't been using Mewtwo a lot since Corrin came out. You know, Shiny Toy Syndrome and all.

...I'm thinking Corrin will be my first true secondary. As in, someone I lean on only for bad matchups. It's hard to really main three characters at once, and something inside me wants me to only main underdogs. Besides, if I main someone who's too good, it may trivialize the point of having other mains altogether, and especially a mediocre one like Charizard.

Last edited:

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
Honestly a good Mewtwo can use each part of his moveset effectively, while still understanding how much of a glass canoon he really is. His grab game can seriously cause corrin some issues and I've seen my freind do it.

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
As far as Mewtwo goes, I'd argue Shadow Ball is one of the best projectiles in the game. It's just what Mewtwo needs to compete with Corrin's disjoints.

He might even be able to punish F-smash with it, though I haven't tested this. I haven't been using Mewtwo a lot since Corrin came out. You know, Shiny Toy Syndrome and all.
Perhaps I can get back to you on that; I haven't really stemmed my Mewtwo usage since Corrin dropped, though I have been putting good time into Corrin as well.

And yes, Shadow Ball is very, very good. I'd rank it highly among Smash 4's projectiles.

Also, hello everyone. <3 I've dropped into the social threads of my other two mains, but haven't made time to say hello here yet. After putting in a lot of time and trying to decide how I feel about :4corrinf: , I'm happy to say I've settled on making her my third main! She is simply far too much fun for me to regard her as anything less. I look forward to seeing how Corrin develops their place in the Smash 4 roster as time goes on.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Does anyone else have their wives/husbands planned for all 3 routes?

Or is it just me?
I have my wife planned for all three routes: Azura (I don't know why i didn't reply to this earlier)

Protip, you can only use Dragon Lunge once in the air, kinda like Ryu's Tatsumaki.
Another pro tip: If using the grounded version of Dragon Lunge, make sure the hop doesn't carry you offstage. If use use the grounded version and find yourself in the air because the hop carried you offstage, you won't be able to do anything until you stick the arm out. I've died because of that.

Characters that are "OP" on release get a lot more usage until people figure how to deal with them. The inexperience and how punishing Corrin's moveset makes for some easy wins, and winning is fun for most people. Unless you are MK in brawl, then you just kill the game.

I fully expect Bayonetta to pick up steam once people figure how to play her properly.
Yeah, Bayonetta will definitely become better once people find out how she works. Right now though, FG Bayonettas is just Witch Time and F-Smash.
Regarding Corrin, i do realize that his weakness will eventually be exploited, however, i don't think he'll be like Roy where he's considered really powerful and high tier but after his weakness are found, he becomes a rarely used low tier (Roy should be mid-tier IMO). If people are saying Corrin is high tier, even after his flaws are found, i expect Corrin to remain a high tier, or at the least, the border between high tier and mid tier.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Another pro tip: If using the grounded version of Dragon Lunge, make sure the hop doesn't carry you offstage. If use use the grounded version and find yourself in the air because the hop carried you offstage, you won't be able to do anything until you stick the arm out. I've died because of that.
I actually tested that today out of curiosity, and I found that you can mash out your air jump and still recover. It just takes a bit.

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
Regarding Corrin, i do realize that his weakness will eventually be exploited, however, i don't think he'll be like Roy where he's considered really powerful and high tier but after his weakness are found, he becomes a rarely used low tier (Roy should be mid-tier IMO). If people are saying Corrin is high tier, even after his flaws are found, i expect Corrin to remain a high tier, or at the least, the border between high tier and mid tier.
Corrin's probably gonna be put around mid-high once stuff gets changed/nerfs happen. He's good but he definitely has his flaws.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Flannel has a new localized name.

It's Keaten.
Did they mix up his new name with Nishikis or something? That name sounds much better for a kitsune.

Or maybe its just because that name sounds like a certain Zelda creature that I think that way.

Nah

Smash Champion
Chances are it is just maintenance, though I imagine we'll be getting another patch fairly soon since Corrin came with a couple of unfortunate glitches that need to get fixed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I foresee nerfs in :4corrin:/:4corrinf:'s future. Their fate is clear
Truthfully, I don't see Corrin doing any better than the B-tier right now. He does have the long reach and a strong counter, but the mediocre recovery does hurt his viability in the long run.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Did they mix up his new name with Nishikis or something? That name sounds much better for a kitsune.

Or maybe its just because that name sounds like a certain Zelda creature that I think that way.
Yeah I think Kaden would have been better for Flannel... I wonder what Velour's name will be.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I think Corrin is really fun to play. I doubt I'll pick him/her up. I've go Bayonetta and Cloud to focus on.

D

Deleted member 189823

@Oz To add specifics to what @ILOVESMASH said, Corrin takes about 7 frames or so to go into shield from his/her dash, which is actually pretty good, since it makes dashing less of a commitment.
I actually dig that because my style revolves around a lot of Dash Shielding, which is great for Powershielding (and I've actually managed that rather decently the other day). I think a lot of FE characters have decent profit out of simply dashing in and grabbing, later to make use of their long range into frame traps and strings.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Flannel has a new localized name.

It's Keaten.
Keaten. Keaton. Keaton are based on Foxes. Why is that not Kaden's name?! WHY IS IT THAT THE ONLY LOCALIZED NAMES THAT DON"T MAKE SENSE ARE THE TWO BEAST SHAPE-SHIFTERS' LOCALIZED NAMES?!

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Keaten. Keaton. Keaton are based on Foxes. Why is that not Kaden's name?! WHY IS IT THAT THE ONLY LOCALIZED NAMES THAT DON"T MAKE SENSE ARE THE TWO BEAST SHAPE-SHIFTERS' LOCALIZED NAMES?!
Well and there's Laslow which should be Lazlo.

D

Deleted member 189823

Been practicing a bit with Corrin he/she is fun, but finding a hard time to string together combo's also a few video's have been going around talking about how "Corrin's counter is broken" and showcasing people dying from 0% just by the counter alone...now I for one don't believe it but it's spreading around the net like a plague and wanted to know if you guys heard anything about this?
Either those people suck, or...they suck. That's about it. Yes, Corrin's Counter is ridiculously strong. But calling the character "broken", just because of that? I can see a case...in For Glory. And even then, just mildly. It's not ridiculously hard to wait it out.

I've had Marth as a Mess-Around character for a while, its time to whip him out thanks to the buffs.
I've been thinking Marth was not-terrible and probably just 2nd to either Roy or Ike as best FE character for a while now. He really does remind me of Corrin, without the gimmicks and strong play and reward in fundamentals and basic reads (like reading airdodges and keep U-Airing and stuff like that). This isn't anything new, this has been a thing for months. Not to mention, a tipper can actually kill you at 40-50.

Now whenever I try to get a boost as I recover with Mewtwo, I instinctively use Bair instead of Confusion.

Thanks, Corrin.
This is me...with Bowser.

I countered Ganon's jab and he died. It's that good
What percentage was he at, though?

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Well and there's Laslow which should be Lazlo.
Apparently Keaton is a type of fabric design.
The extra W is unnecessary but Laslow is fine. And now, Keaten makes a little more sense since Keaton is a type a fabric and Flannel is a type of fabric.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The extra W is unnecessary but Laslow is fine. And now, Keaten makes a little more sense since Keaton is a type a fabric and Flannel is a type of fabric.
Panne(A type of velvet fabric)
Yarne
Flannel
Velour(A type of fabric or leather)
Nishiki(See here)
Kinu(A name that means "silk")

...Now what does "Kaden" mean?

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Atleast now his name isn't so close to Azura's.

Wait isn't Shura a premotion of the Oni Savage?
I'm just glad I don't have to use four different spellings of his name.

And yes, there was a class Shura. Was called Shura.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Better example: How the Master Ninja was called the Jonin in Japan. Like seriously, are that many Americans unfamiliar with the word "jonin"?

We can probably expect the Shura class to be called "Ogre God" or something like that.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Well then. So not only is Counter Surge capable of killing at low percents, it also has a windbox that sends you DOWN!
skip to the 1:40 mark.
Thats pretty funny. I managed to kill with the Up B windbox yesterday. If you guys didnt know, Up B has a windbox just outside it's range on either side as well. A pit overshot his recovery, so I up B'd intending to move towards him, but I ended up reversing instead and moved away, but my windbox on startup caught him

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You'd be suprised.

I've ran into a brawl Lucas main who didn't know what Mother 3 was, so....
To further this point, many people discover or gain an interest in new games due to smash bros. Its how I, and many others, have an interest in fire emblem. Legit only bought the game to see where my melee main came from. Ended up loving the series. Basically someone gets attached to their main and wants to learn about where they came from.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I try not to complain about Fates too much, but I'm being haunted by a sleepless night again...I was just laying in bed for an hour an a half, trying to sleep and letting my brain wonder, and it kept going back to FE:Fates, and not the parts I'm excited for. I need to get this off my chest.

I'm still extremely salty about Corrin being able to S-rank is supposed siblings. The game is supposed to have themes of family, and the Nohrian royals are supposed to consider themselves family...but how am I supposed to take that seriously when Corrin has the option to marry his 10-year-old sister? And in Hoshido - Hinoka spent years training to rescue her kidnapped baby brother, only to fall in love with him and marry him? What kind of sick tale is that?

What bothers me most, though, is that by getting the game, I feel like I'd be telling IS that it's okay. But I'm not okay with it at all. I don't want to see a future of Fire Emblem ruining its plot and killing its characterization for the sake of stupid fanservice, but it's already done that. I can take swimsuit DLC. I can take skinship. I can take Camilla's embarrassing CG custcene. I'm reluctant, but those are all minor things that I can put behind me in the end. But making a character marry someone he sees as his child sister is taking it too dang far. What happened to the deep story we were promised? Was that only something to the side, to compliment the waifu fanservice? The idea behind the Nohr route is that you don't have to be blood related to be family - and yet it's that they aren't blood related that they use to justify marriage. It drives me mad.

I think I'm only getting Conquest. Not Revelations. My sister is getting Birthright, so I might try that. But jeez, how did IS become the mess it is now? If there are people on the staff who are opposed to FE's new direction as well, why haven't they been able to do more? Did they really fear that the game would of been able to sell if the protagonist couldn't marry is freaking family? I know that the franchise needs to be taking this direction to be successful, but why can't they find a way to do it while still pleasing the game's old fans as well? They can still do waifus and pandering and whatnot without interfering with the story's themes, but they didn't. I don't see what was so hard about not letting Corrin S-support his siblings. The worst I see is a few angry fanboys upset that they couldn't of S-supported Camilla, but there would of been far less controversy in the long run. I just don't see what was so hard about keeping both the old and new fanbases happy at the same time. One shouldn't have to come at the expense of the other.

...I'm sorry. I know most of you here don't seem to have serious problems with the game. I just...I've been torn on it ever since it released in Japan. From its early promotion and initial reveal, it all seemed so promising. I kind of feel betrayed, in a way.

...This is what happens when I can't sleep...

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Marrying within family including your own siblings was something royalty did back in the day... It obviously had it's problems... Thinking one of Spain's noble families was heavily affected by inbreeding. Anyway, Fire Emblem has done this before and it kind of makes sense since the series is based in medieval and almost renaissance eras.

As for Hoshido siblings... There was a study about how growing up with people perceived as family does make it so we don't consider them anymore than family or friends. Considering how many people are in this world, there are times people end up falling for their siblings or relatives because they grew up apart like they were adopted separately or they just didn't know they were family because they were so distant. The Westermarck effect is what it was called.

Does any of this justify the sibling love / incest in Fates? No, and you could even go and be extreme about it with that relationships in general shouldn't exist at all not just in Fates, but in real life which would lead to a world like Brave New World or 1984 where people were basically machines with no real sense of attachment or true humanity... Anyway, no, it doesn't justify them, but it totally makes sense given the context: Nohr love would be the setting of the series while Hoshido love would be the whole grew apart and not "considering" or internalizing them as family.

Last edited:

Tarastel

Claymore
NNID
Tarastel
I try not to complain about Fates too much, but I'm being haunted by a sleepless night again...I was just laying in bed for an hour an a half, trying to sleep and letting my brain wonder, and it kept going back to FE:Fates, and not the parts I'm excited for. I need to get this off my chest.

I'm still extremely salty about Corrin being able to S-rank is supposed siblings. The game is supposed to have themes of family, and the Nohrian royals are supposed to consider themselves family...but how am I supposed to take that seriously when Corrin has the option to marry his 10-year-old sister? And in Hoshido - Hinoka spent years training to rescue her kidnapped baby brother, only to fall in love with him and marry him? What kind of sick tale is that?

What bothers me most, though, is that by getting the game, I feel like I'd be telling IS that it's okay. But I'm not okay with it at all. I don't want to see a future of Fire Emblem ruining its plot and killing its characterization for the sake of stupid fanservice, but it's already done that. I can take swimsuit DLC. I can take skinship. I can take Camilla's embarrassing CG custcene. I'm reluctant, but those are all minor things that I can put behind me in the end. But making a character marry someone he sees as his child sister is taking it too dang far. What happened to the deep story we were promised? Was that only something to the side, to compliment the waifu fanservice? The idea behind the Nohr route is that you don't have to be blood related to be family - and yet it's that they aren't blood related that they use to justify marriage. It drives me mad.

I think I'm only getting Conquest. Not Revelations. My sister is getting Birthright, so I might try that. But jeez, how did IS become the mess it is now? If there are people on the staff who are opposed to FE's new direction as well, why haven't they been able to do more? Did they really fear that the game would of been able to sell if the protagonist couldn't marry is freaking family? I know that the franchise needs to be taking this direction to be successful, but why can't they find a way to do it while still pleasing the game's old fans as well? They can still do waifus and pandering and whatnot without interfering with the story's themes, but they didn't. I don't see what was so hard about not letting Corrin S-support his siblings. The worst I see is a few angry fanboys upset that they couldn't of S-supported Camilla, but there would of been far less controversy in the long run. I just don't see what was so hard about keeping both the old and new fanbases happy at the same time. One shouldn't have to come at the expense of the other.

...I'm sorry. I know most of you here don't seem to have serious problems with the game. I just...I've been torn on it ever since it released in Japan. From its early promotion and initial reveal, it all seemed so promising. I kind of feel betrayed, in a way.

...This is what happens when I can't sleep...

Yeah, sleep deprivation can really do a number on the noggin there(this coming from someone with TONS of experience). But on to the point, you address a lot of key points in this, and the whole family thing would have felt a little reminiscent to Genealogy of the Holy War. Guess right now IS is trying to take the safer route and make everyone marriageable, especially characters like Camilla and Hinoka since they are poster girls of this game along Aqua. Also I may be wrong in this but I think that in Japan it is considered a bit normal if two people share a sibling like relationship and it turns into a full blown romance. There are hints of this with Eren and Mikasa in Attack on Titan as well for reference. Though it still isn't right, hopefully that helps explain away a couple of grievances you have with Fates right now.

If it's any consolation, I'm currently torn on whether I should have my dragon get together with Soleil. Apparently doing only a little research wasn't the best idea when it came to finding out about her. The whole controversy isn't as crazy bad as I thought it was(though it still has a few highly questionable things about her whole character). Mostly it got blown out of proportion because of a uninformed tumblr user instantly screaming homophobia. Probably gonna give her a go anyways since I just really like her design too much(low reasoning points activate!) also in hopes that the US translation team can localize the convos better.

But to help tone down this serious tone shift for now, I wanted to have this thing fully done with as soon as I could, but didn't make it to the Corrin release date. Still needs to be fine lined, colored and shaded, but this drawing is for the Marth/Lucina/Roy/Ike buffs and Corrin getting into Smash

Last edited:
Top Bottom