• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Continuous Waveshining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir James

The Doctor
I'm currently working on getting better with Fox. I can waveshine on command, but I cannot waveshine in rapid succession. When I waveshine, I can't waveshine fast enough after I hit down+b. I get a few seconds of lag before I can start it again. What am I doing wrong? I want to master this so I can waveshine people to the edge on Final Destination and other flat levels.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
2 options.

1: you wait too long before jumping out of shine, can only jump out of shine for roughly the first half of the shine animation.

2: you try to jump too soon, especially if your actually shining someone.

It's more likely that your not jumping fast enough though.

Sir James

The Doctor
Thanks for the help everyone. My jump timing was way off. I still have some work to do to polish the move up, but at least now I know what I did wrong.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Mind if I hijack this thread?

i've started to (try) and play fox though he's a bit too fast and technical for me. I've learn't to waveshine but instead of using my thumb to jump out of the shine, I use my forefinger (usually on the R button) to press y after I shine. Do you think this is just making it harder for myself? I can jump out of the shine quicker I suppose

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i've started to (try) and play fox though he's a bit too fast and technical for me. I've learn't to waveshine but instead of using my thumb to jump out of the shine, I use my forefinger (usually on the R button) to press y after I shine. Do you think this is just making it harder for myself? I can jump out of the shine quicker I suppose
its perfectly fine, though you might not be able to translate that speed into other tech things (unlike if u actually learned to press it fast, you can keep that speed with other tech things you do). personally, i can shdl with only using my right thumb and also jump out of my shine pretty close to the 4th frame (its probably 5th or 6th cause im pretty slow :/)

shinkazenokizzu

Smash Apprentice
my fingers are slow aswell :( but like every thing in smash there is more than one way to master it for example i use the control stick to jump then spam B for shdl :D

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
wfff..

shdl only with your right thumb? Thats impossible. I sh with Y and the slide back to B is WAY too quick. Are you serious?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
my fingers are slow aswell :( but like every thing in smash there is more than one way to master it for example i use the control stick to jump then spam B for shdl :D
Yeah I do the same thing it works wonders for rshdl

@Raynex: I can shdl with Y too, and with X ^^

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Slide downwards?

When I sh I slide upwards, also...I'm trying to practice just tapping it lightly.

Sliding it down is a whole other concept though. :S

ye25

Smash Journeyman
The branched topics seem to be more interesting than the main one, most of the time. Anyway, I dont main or secondary fox. I found it pretty difficult to waveshine at first, but now...its even ahrder since i dont play him much anymore.

ye25

Smash Journeyman
its not really that hard, just getting down perfect wding is tough cause i main doc and his timing is way diff.

Sir James

The Doctor
its not really that hard, just getting down perfect wding is tough cause i main doc and his timing is way diff.
That's exactly why I had troubles initially. The Doc is my main. I've gotten the continuous waveshines down perfectly, but now I just need experience. For example, I got a painful reminder today to not overuse the waveshine on a Peach (down smash :urg: )

ye25

Smash Journeyman
hehe, d-smash is crying for nerf, but then again, thats a big part of peaches game?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
better be nerfed in brawl. I've already seen an air dodge. Which means there will be WDing (traction manipulation), so there might be waveshining if Fox can still jc his shine.

ye25

Smash Journeyman
Would be sad if they took out shine all together o.o

ye25

Smash Journeyman
Would be sad if our kirby thread died, and thank goodness shine is still there.

ye25

Smash Journeyman
Big words from a tiny smash n00b (I know this guy dont worry). If you could waveshine, I might listen, and stop trying to sound all cool!

NFR

Smash Rookie
Don't worry, i do the same thing :D

though, instead of y, i hit x, but if its against the wall, i do use the control stick :D makes it easier on me, if its a moving waveshine going over and over, then i use x.. makes me feel kinda weird cuz i use y to short hop, lols.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
wfff..

shdl only with your right thumb? Thats impossible. I sh with Y and the slide back to B is WAY too quick. Are you serious?
completely. i can rshdl too, but technically i have to use my left stick to turn :/ either way i quit fox cause he bores me. back to falcon!

edit:: and i think i read soemwhere that fox's shine is going to have some amount of start up time in brawl, while he takes it out or something.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
lol. lies. they wouldn't go into specifics about moves already. I've memorized that site.

Not even all the characters and their final smashes/special B moves are updated yet.

EDIT: I picked up shdl with the control stick =D Its too hard with Y :S

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
If you're not averse to new things I'd recommend clawing. It's very beneficial for Fox...

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
its not that. I've tried, numerous times, to do it with Y. My retreat to the control stick for more control should be attributed more to my inability to perform the move, rather than my interest in learning new things. I'll give it another shot though, just cause you suggested it.

and what? clawing? Sorry i don't understand...?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Clawing:

hold the controller like normal, then put your right hand middle finger on the R trigger. Then make a backwards "C" using the index finger and thumb. Your index knuckle should be resting on X while your thumb has access to c-stick,a, and b. This enables you to jump immediately using your index finger while performing any other action involving a,b or c-stick with the thumb. So you basically free your thumb from using the jump button. The only thing (for me) that's difficult with the claw method is JC grabbing. Since I normally play with my middle finger on R and my index on Z. And for some reason trying to move my middle finger to press Z just hurts my whole hand after a while.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
oooo...so like, tap lightly with your index knuckle and use your thumb to hit B twice?

It sounds...weird...but i haven't tried it yet. I've never even heard of it. Is it an old technique?

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I jump with Y but it doesn't really matter. Whatever is more comfortable for you probably depends on your hand size.

Clawing has been around forever but it became popular with Halo. It's not widely used in Smash even though it can be highly beneficial.

D

Deleted member

I tried clawing... and failed massively... I don't use X to jump, so it was annoying... and when I waveshine, I like to mix it up, so that characters don't have a chance to counter if I mess up... also, I can shdl sliding Y to B... then again, my B button is pushed into the controller, as is my Y, so I can slide down quickly... but it's hard, and I can't do it often, nor care to... and shine better be still broken in Brawl lol

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I had trouble in the exact same way. I Sh with Y so its just hard in general to do it with X comfortably, let alone with my index knuckle :/

Ill keep trying the slide down Y thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom