• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confessions of a Marth Main

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Oh, i don't grab much either.
This is not a bad habit. I almost never grab. You over-extend yourself for a moderate risk. With MK's dsmash and ftilt, D3's grabs and Snake's tilts, you can really get punished. Additionally, grabbing is a heavy part of the "Boxing" (jab, spot dodge, grab/quick punisher) part of this game, and Marth has NO boxing game.

D: I swing my sword at nothing.
Good job. Learn some spacing, and you'll be well on your way.

My bad habit is that i tend to try and edgeguard excessively no matter who i'm against because that's where i get most of my kills, so i do horrible against R.O.B's and well, i haven't fought any awesome MK's offline yet but i'm sure it'd be about the same.
Edgeguarding is good. Marth can edgeguard every character in this game, you just need to know how. Try hesistating, and waiting for your opponent to perform an action in fear of your edgeguard, and then respond with punishment for it. For character specific edge-guards, you should probably check the respective character boards. A lot of character specific edge-guarding is discussed in the MBR, and I doubt anyone ever gets around to update the match-ups, so you should ask about them in the appropriate threads, or the question sticky.

I have a bad tendency to go for the Dair spike a lot.

Also, I can't tipper my Fsmashes for crap.
Going for tipper dair is fine once you learn when and how to do it, and when to use ordinary edgeguarding. Marth's meteor smash is one of the best in the game, because it can't be dodged on reaction like a lot of other characters, and it has a huge speed and range.

Don't focus on tipping fsmashes. The truth of the matter is, a vast majority of the time, you don't set-up a tipper fsmash. There isn't enough time to just walk to the perfect distance and fsmash, even if you knew the spacing, and your opponent probably won't stay still, or they'll block it. The important thing is recognizing when your opponent is open and in tipper fsmash spacing, and make sure to land it when opportunity creates itself. Otherwise, just focus on good punishment, probably with mostly Dancing Blade.

Grab more.
That's personal style. I rarely ever grab. I pivot grab quite a bit though.

I'm not a marth main, but I'm going to confess anyway. bro.

I use ftilt.
Congratulations, I do too.

Ftilt is quite useful. It is a good anti-air move, and it can sometimes kill near the edge. It's not like dash attack or anything.
I use Dash attack as well. Very scarcely though. The other day I landed Fair, Fair, Dash attack. It beats air-dodge pretty decently if your opponent doesn't actually land.

The girl in takeurlife's signature in pretty hot :)
Yes, she is.

My biggest bad habit is using downsmash right after a perfect shield.. :[
Not entirely a bad habit. Switch to Dancing Blade unless your opponent is at kill percents.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Don't focus on tipping fsmashes. The truth of the matter is, a vast majority of the time, you don't set-up a tipper fsmash. There isn't enough time to just walk to the perfect distance and fsmash, even if you knew the spacing, and your opponent probably won't stay still, or they'll block it. The important thing is recognizing when your opponent is open and in tipper fsmash spacing, and make sure to land it when opportunity creates itself. Otherwise, just focus on good punishment, probably with mostly Dancing Blade.
I always thought tipper fsmashes were something you timed or you intentionally set up.
You learn something new every day.
:D
I love the marf boards.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
You can set them up, but obviously specifically trying to set something up can be detrimental to your game as you may miss opportunities to do other good things. For instance, you'r opponent is at 120 and you are at 60. You could end it with a tipper fsmash, but lets say that given normally play you're looking for that Fsmash and when you finally land it and they die, you've taken another 50 damage, leaving you at 110. Alternatively, you can continue to play, keeping in the back of your mind that they are at a death percent while maintaining your defense. You trade hits and both of you take another 20 damage before you gimp them off the side. Sure you needed some extra hits to finish but you've saved yourself 30% and they enter their next stock with you at 80. Thus your advantage is greater.

You're smashes are best used when appropriate, opportunistically. Say you grab them and fthrow, you can potentialy follow with a DB or Fair, both of which are safer and faster than fsmash. Thus, you should use those most of the time as they are much likier to land. So when do you fsmash, when they **** up the DI and you don't need to do anything but move the Cstick.

although... i have a horrrible habit of spamming smashes when i mean to tilt. haha.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Losing to an MK spammer in which I shield the nados yet any method of punishing it is spotdodged. I can work around that but then the crafty spammer mindgames me

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I always thought tipper fsmashes were something you timed or you intentionally set up.
You learn something new every day.
:D
I love the marf boards.
Don't get Pierce wrong. You do have to set them up and time/space them. But to focus on setting one up is very unwise since it's extremely risky and hard to nail.

But if you force a reaction that leaves your opponent open and you are at a good distance, by all means throw out a fsmash.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Don't get Pierce wrong. You do have to set them up and time/space them. But to focus on setting one up is very unwise since it's extremely risky and hard to nail.

But if you force a reaction that leaves your opponent open and you are at a good distance, by all means throw out a fsmash.
Marth's grabs on various characters guarantee a true combo from that into a tipper fsmash. Sexy!

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
I roll and dash attack, because Falco (my main) has a great roll and a great dash attack. Marth? Not so much.

Drews0

Smash Apprentice
For all you smash-happy learning marths, TeDeth gave me some advice:
Always, and I mean pretty much all the darn time you go for a smash, DB instead.
Sure its gonna kinda mess up your game for a few matches, but within a few practices you should see a huge improvement in your game, that's when you can start incorporating a few smashes back into your game.
Of course if it doesn't work for you don't do it, but I've gone from a reflexive C-Stick masher to a reasonably good punisher with this strategy. (although I'm still a n00b)

RuNePaLaDiN

Smash Rookie
I use Dolphin Slash far to much to kill when in the middle of the flat stages....I actually just switched from Meta Knight to Marth cause I was pretty much done growing in that category of play...

Top Bottom