• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Competitive Smash Ruleset Discussion

shapular

Smash Ace
What do you guys think about stock time limits for 3 stock? I lean toward the "timeouts should be a viable but not boring option for winning" camp, so I'm thinking about using 3 stock 6 minutes. I tested it a few days ago and most matches didn't come close to timing out. The only one that did was Mii Brawler vs. Mii Gunner. The thing I'm worried about is if it prevents normally campy matchups from ever finishing by KOs. I want to make sure everybody has a chance to not go to time. What do you think?

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I have yet to see a serious, well reasoned argument that custom moves do not improve the balance of the game; it's honestly just obvious they do. Thinkaman had a very good write-up pre-release explaining that, mathematically, custom moves were expected to improve the balance. His reasoning was very decisive:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...es-on-gameplay-and-balance-statistics.366457/

The short version is that the expected outcome of customs being in the game, if you know nothing about what the customs actually do, is that they make the balance better since you're taking the best 2/3 and the average outcomes of said best 2/3 per move are a lot better than the average outcomes of best 1/1 if we model it as random.

When we look at what they actually turned out to be, it's pretty much great, probably even better than that projection. Diddy Kong, the clear best character without customs, has the worst set of custom specials in the game. Many low tier characters who are just obviously troubled without customs like Palutena, Ganondorf, Charizard, and Samus gain a ton from the system. So many custom specials give characters specific counters to Luma, and Rosalina really does wreck characters harder than anyone else in the game (while Rosalina's customs might as well be specifically made for her to address her worst match-ups!). Honestly I think they're actually BETTER than Thinkaman's initial analysis suggested they would be expected to be on average; the system is that good. I've heard almost literally nothing but good things about customs from players who have given them a try; as far as I can tell, the anti-custom side just never gave customs a shot in the first place and is just concerned by logistics which is understandable but that's why we've done so much to address those concerns. If they have serious gameplay concerns with customs, they haven't made it clear through their public activity what problems they found.

As per AR, there are two important points to consider:

1. It's not necessary. It's a convenience you can use. The system works 100% fine if you don't. I'm in a lot of ways the architect of this custom logistical thing, and I don't own an AR. Even if you just hate AR, it's not needed.

2. Seriously, what did AR ever do to Nintendo? I seem to recall some industry analysts back in the 90s concluding cheat devices improve the sales of game software, and after that happened, the controversy toward such devices just died. That was very long ago (I was something like 10 when it went down) so I don't exactly have my sources handy, but it really has been that long since I've heard anyone suggest AR is any sort of bad thing for Nintendo and nothing other than the legalese in the back of instruciton manuals has ever suggested these devices can actually damage hardware. What they actually do is fill in the normally blank RAM areas early in the program's execution with code, and writing to RAM is not a dangerous activity for any computer with the only real risk being corrupting save files which is actually not terribly hard to do in a lot of games with the glitches already present and can only really be done by misusing an AR anyway.

When both of those things are considered together, I don't really see the issue.

As per what's intended and traditional FG principles, well, we have to deal with this system anyway as Mii Fighters are characters in this game and at the system must be interacted with to create them (and banning three characters is just insane, obviously not reasonable). Sakurai is always very careful to avoid telling people how to play and is clear he doesn't take part in any tournament activities (he seems to feel it would be improper). Smash is not a game series in which developer intent makes it just obvious how to play like Street Fighter; the community needs to make decisions just as a part of the nature of the game. However, I do think a lot of traditional FG players would be pretty comfortable with customs just like they love assist choices in the Marvel games or grooves in CvS2 as it's a lot of the same sort of thinking. I honestly find traditional FG players tend to be a lot more ruleset "liberal" than a typical smash player as they feel like if it's in the game it deserves a shot at being used; sometimes they even go way too far like EVO 2008 Brawl with items, but I'm pretty confident in saying that traditional FG principles would have customs on and turning them off is going the other way.
my first and only some what reasonable concern about customs was that they were not going to take customs into the balancing equasion that got thrown out the window. when charazards custom got well. changed.

i still firmly believe mii's wont be balanced because it would be a nightmare to do so theres that. but over i have no issues with customs being legal anymore

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
What do you guys think about stock time limits for 3 stock? I lean toward the "timeouts should be a viable but not boring option for winning" camp, so I'm thinking about using 3 stock 6 minutes. I tested it a few days ago and most matches didn't come close to timing out. The only one that did was Mii Brawler vs. Mii Gunner. The thing I'm worried about is if it prevents normally campy matchups from ever finishing by KOs. I want to make sure everybody has a chance to not go to time. What do you think?
I'm gonna be as honest as I can be:

1) 3 stocks isn't that bad in and of itself. The main issue is based on tourney size. A large tourney with 3 stocks is gonna take all day.

2) That said, 6-7 minutes is a good fit for 3 stock matches. Any less and time outs are gonna be frequent. Any more and we're gonna need sleeping bags if it drags on. 6-7 minutes is a nice fit for the format, but using 3 stocks depends on how big the tourney is.

Side note: If you don't mind playing on 3DS, mind doing a few matches with me if you wouldn't lag with someone playing from Texas? FG isn't exactly a sprawling wonderland of skill. >_>

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
I'm gonna be as honest as I can be:

1) 3 stocks isn't that bad in and of itself. The main issue is based on tourney size. A large tourney with 3 stocks is gonna take all day.

2) That said, 6-7 minutes is a good fit for 3 stock matches. Any less and time outs are gonna be frequent. Any more and we're gonna need sleeping bags if it drags on. 6-7 minutes is a nice fit for the format, but using 3 stocks depends on how big the tourney is.

Side note: If you don't mind playing on 3DS, mind doing a few matches with me if you wouldn't lag with someone playing from Texas? FG isn't exactly a sprawling wonderland of skill. >_>
I'm just planning on hosting a small weekly. Time shouldn't be an issue.
Yoshi dittos
I wouldn't mind. PM me or go to the site in my signature.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I'm just planning on hosting a small weekly. Time shouldn't be an issue.
Yoshi dittos
I wouldn't mind. PM me or go to the site in my signature.
Small weekly? I would suggest 3 stocks/7 minutes.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Remember that increasing match time limit increases worst-case time, but almost decreases average and overall time.

Removing the incentive to stall almost always affects more long matches than there are matches that would actually reach time.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Remember that increasing match time limit increases worst-case time, but almost decreases average and overall time.

Removing the incentive to stall almost always affects more long matches than there are matches that would actually reach time.
I don't know, 64 says otherwise

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I was about to post this in that really cool thread advocating for custom moves, but then I realized the last post was made about a month ago, so I'll just put it here. I felt like it might be important to come up with some wording for rulesets regarding Customizations and all that.

For rulesets with custom specials and equipment legal, it's pretty simple:
"Customization is set to 'On.'"

But no one does that so it's meaningless.

For rulesets with custom specials only, I would probably word it to this degree:
"Customization is set to 'On.' Any custom set used must have its Attack, Defense, and Speed set to 0, and may not use any Bonus Effects. Any player found to be using custom sets where Attack, Defense, and Speed are all set below 0 may be subject to instant disqualification from the tournament."

The reason the disqualification clause exists is due to the fact that, when a custom set has all stats set negatively, the circle that appears on the character select screen appears gray, as if you had made no adjustments to the stats. One can achieve this by using equipment that have particularly powerful bonus effects attached to them. It's not possible to do this by accident since the proper procedure for creating sets with custom moves only has you ignoring equipment completely. As a result, I believe a severe kind of punishment needs to exist to deter rulebreakers like this.

Last edited:

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
I was about to post this in that really cool thread advocating for custom moves, but then I realized the last post was made about a month ago, so I'll just put it here. I felt like it might be important to come up with some wording for rulesets regarding Customizations and all that.

For rulesets with custom specials and equipment legal, it's pretty simple:
"Customization is set to 'On.'"

But no one does that so it's meaningless.

For rulesets with custom specials only, I would probably word it to this degree:
"Customization is set to 'On.' Any custom set used must have its Attack, Defense, and Speed set to 0, and may not use any Bonus Effects. Any player found to be using custom sets where Attack, Defense, and Speed are all set below 0 may be subject to instant disqualification from the tournament."

The reason the disqualification clause exists is due to the fact that, when a custom set has all stats set negatively, the circle that appears on the character select screen appears gray, as if you had made no adjustments to the stats. One can achieve this by using equipment that have particularly powerful bonus effects attached to them. It's not possible to do this by accident since the proper procedure for creating sets with custom moves only has you ignoring equipment completely. As a result, I believe a severe kind of punishment needs to exist to deter rulebreakers like this.
If you mean AA's thread, that topic moved on to this. http://smashboards.com/threads/official-standard-custom-moveset-project-initial-release.381395/

Anyhoo, it's really not possible for anyone to cheat this on Wii U anyways. The only way to transfer custom moves is through 3ds, and when transfering, it will show a screen of the moves being transferred, as well as a big screen to the right showing the individual stats. A player would have to pull the greatest, "look over there" in history for that to happen anyways. Obviously anyone should be disqualified instantly for attempting to cheat, but I feel like there is nothing to worry about on Wii U.

Of course, online, and 3DS tournaments are another story.

equipment is not going to be legal is it?
With all the attention equipment has been getting these past few weeks, it seems inevitable that they'll become side events at least.

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
That's understandable, but don't forget people trying to sneak net stat loss bonus effect equipment on WiiUs that have all custom moves unlocked may turn up as an issue later down the line. I figure it's just safer to hang on to the stipulation for troublemakers in the future.

Edit: Also I was talking about this thread. It's quite a good read.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
With all the attention equipment has been getting these past few weeks, it seems inevitable that they'll become side events at least.
Are you mixing up Custom Equipment and Custom Moves, or have I missed something? (Or are you talking about the SLHG thing?)

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Are you mixing up Custom Equipment and Custom Moves, or have I missed something? (Or are you talking about the SLHG thing?)
Mostly the Smooth Lander deal. (Hate HG) I know Custom Moves will be legal with all the work that has been put into making them more appealing, and some of the traction it's getting. But I do see equipment getting a side event at least because it's been getting that much attention, probably bigger than HG Brawl did.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Mostly the Smooth Lander deal. (Hate HG) I know Custom Moves will be legal with all the work that has been put into making them more appealing, and some of the traction it's getting. But I do see equipment getting a side event at least because it's been getting that much attention, probably bigger than HG Brawl did.
but difference is that there is undoubtably more negetive attention with nobody worth mentioning trying to pic up steam for it or even support it.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Can we not just sell/trash all equipment on Wii U setups to ensure they're not in any character presets? Easier then having to check all of them to see if a player fudged with one to cheat.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Can we not just sell/trash all equipment on Wii U setups to ensure they're not in any character presets? Easier then having to check all of them to see if a player fudged with one to cheat.
Equipment does have a purpose when trying to go for some of the harder solo challenges and modes. Vampire in general, Home Run + Quick Batter for Crazy Orders, and general ******* around with friends. I wouldn't ask people to get rid of all their equipment if they want to contribute a setup.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I don't think it's reasonable to force everyone to burn all their equipment.

It would be nice to get Random back though. Some people may do it anyway.

I might make a backup save file with my equipment, then trash it all.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I don't think it's reasonable to force everyone to burn all their equipment.

It would be nice to get Random back though. Some people may do it anyway.

I might make a backup save file with my equipment, then trash it all.
Can you even do that? I was under the impression that Wii U save data was locked down pretty tight. I also know that if you tried to keep two New Leaf saves on separate SD cards then the game would consider the first one deleted if you tried to load it up again.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Can you even do that? I was under the impression that Wii U save data was locked down pretty tight. I also know that if you tried to keep two New Leaf saves on separate SD cards then the game would consider the first one deleted if you tried to load it up again.
You can make console-locked backups in the Data Management menu, though I haven't tried this for Smash yet.

Edit:
At any rate, deleting equipment from consoles to prevent cheating is much ado about nothing. It's just not realistic.

Imagine you wanted to cheat, and use equipment without having private access to most the consoles. (Remember, this is a tourney. Infecting just your setup is insufficient, and basically certain to get traced back to you.)

3DS transfer is your only half-realistic option. You can't know for sure what equipment is on any given setup, and don't have time to scroll through them all and carefully figure out a possible set, even if it exists. It's also much faster.

Of course, 3DS transfer is still almost impossible. (You have to do it while no one is looking, zero people have to notice the gameplay differences, and you have to sneak back and secretly delete it later.) The point is that manually creating local sets using sub-0 equipment is even harder, with all the difficulties of 3DS transfer on top of additional ones.

The only real benefit to selling all equipment is to be able to use Random again.

Last edited:

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
I think that if we ban a omega, then we ban the omegas with the same stage base as that one.

EX: the stage base of FD is the same as omega palutenas temple. So if you ban FD you have to ban omega Palutena temple and vice versa

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I think that if we ban a omega, then we ban the omegas with the same stage base as that one.

EX: the stage base of FD is the same as omega palutenas temple. So if you ban FD you have to ban omega Palutena temple and vice versa
Most rulesets I've seen have an "Omega Clause" that says FD may be substituted with any Omega during the counterpick phase. This implies that banning FD bans all Omegas as well.

I also don't see the point in separating Omegas based on the shape underneath the stage since the flat surface is the #1 reason to pick it in the first place.

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
I also don't see the point in separating Omegas based on the shape underneath the stage since the flat surface is the #1 reason to pick it in the first place.
Changes recovery options for some characters, in some cases very drastically. Someone like Ness has a much easier time recovering on an Omega with straight vertical walls than on one that's just a thin platform like Port Town Aero Dive where it's easier to get caught under the stage.

Other than that there's minor things with wall bounces on some recoveries and stage spike options while edge-guarding that can alter depending on which Omega you're on.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
I think we could use a bit of a shake-up in Smash 4 to make things interesting.
Brawl started life and lived for many years with a lot of stages legal in tournament that slowly were banned by TOs due to MK and camping. This game is less defensive rewarding and could use something fresh. Here's my idea;

-Best of 5
-2 Stock / 5 Minutes
-No Customs/Mii's
-Stagelist (Sit down for this)

Neutrals: Battlefield, Final Destination, Lylat Cruise, Castle Seige, Smashville, Duck Hunt, Town and City

Counterpicks: Delfino Plaza, Kongo Jungle 64, Skyloft, Halberd, Orbital Gate Assault, Pokemon Stadium 2, Wuhu Island

Finalpicks: Mushroom Kingdom U, Norfair, Port Town Aero Dive, Wily Castle

-Neutral strike order is 1-2-2-1.
-DSR is in effect. (It should be rebranded as Double Stage Rule imo)
-Winner can ban 4 stages total. These bans last the rest of the set.
-Finalpicks can be used by an opponent once they have lost two games in a set. A player may only choose a Finalpick once in a set. The opponent may ban two of these before a stage is chosen. These bans do not carry over to a second Finalpicks match.
-Rest of common rules apply.

Sounds crazy, right. But...
Bo5, 2s/5m means at max games, a set should take around 34 minutes. Most tournaments run Bo3 2s/6m or 3s/8m which should last at max games around 22 minutes and 28 minutes respectively. I've added extra time to each considering amount of bans and stage choosing. 5 minutes may encourage some camping but it's not prevalent enough in the metagame to be an issue. Stocks appear to last 1 to 2 minutes at most levels of play. Assuming not many sets go to Game 5, this wouldn't pose much of a time problem for full-day tournaments provided they're run properly and efficiently.

The Counterpicks chosen are stages that have been tested extensively in tournament environments in either Brawl or Smash 4 and have been proven to work well or decently. With four bans, all counter-picks that damage you could be theoretically banned. The damaging/abnormal aspects of these stages have either been proven to be minimal, easy to avoid and rarely abusable.

The Finalpicks chosen are meant to shake things up, which may be utilized as a last ditch effort when losing. These stages have hazards that can be quite detrimental to certain characters or matchups. They also may contain AI that can be defeated (You can break out of Nabbit, defeat him or avoid him all with relative ease. Yellow Devil is highly detrimental to both players at all times, making it likely to backfire on the player that chose the stage) or detrimental effects that can be dealt with/seen ahead of time (Water drops show where icicles will come from in MKU, the lava in Norfair can be jumped over/spot dodged/safety room'd with relative ease). Two bans theoretically allows players to ban the two AI stages if they wish to try and keep the fight more personal.

If a player is well-trained on stages of many types with secondaries if necessary to counter any possible hard stage counters, this stagelist doesn't appear to pose any real problem to me. Players more often than not wish to not chance things with gimmicks and go for more neutral stages, these extra stages and Finalpicks will allow for more varied play/matchups and shake up the metagame completely. I think this is something that should be tested at a few reasonably sized local tournament with a player survey afterwards to gauge future interest. After several years of moving Smash in to extremely neutral territory, I think it's time we break out of our comfort zone and try something new to keep the game varied and fresh for new players, veterans and spectators.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent

You're going to have to excuse us if we aren't blown away by your bold and fresh proposal.
In favor of tournaments running smoothly, I included this. Show me how they can be reliably unlocked with ease on all setups without wasting hammers or spending absurd amounts of time or how they are balanced and in no way broken. Setup time could take forever if someone set up a new character each match of a set. Mii Fighters also bring the problem of people needing to create a Mii for their wanted weight class for each match, further increasing time spent not progressing the tournament. You want a decently sized local to take days? Thinkaman, I've seen you around here since Brawl began, but do you even go to tournaments? All you've appeared to me as is a snarky theorycrafter with little anecdotal experience and a posse that follows.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm pretty sure Thinkaman hosts tournaments. What's next, trolling people based on join date?

I don't know how bring your 3DS or Wii U for your own character can't work for everything but nationals. The burden of unlocking then only lies with the setup that's being streamed for people without a 3DS. Worst case scenario is that someone has to play with defaults, but that's what we're forcing on everyone, anyways right now.

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
I'm pretty sure Thinkaman hosts tournaments.
Oh?

As for the rest, that also doesn't enable people to practice against these matchups simply on their own. It's too dramatic and complex for most to want to deal with and will turn off more than it does on. Everyone would have to wait for their setup to be open, too. That's absurd. You're setting up a HUGE barrier of entry for players, new and veteran alike and creating extremely extended wait times for matches to proceed. You could set up a Mages-like rule but now you're forcing players to play extremely outside their personal character comfort zone because their setup is in use and they can't find one that has their moveset. Why would you think this is a good idea?

Edit: And I'm not trolling, I'm expressing how their argument has little anecdotal evidence of anything after being snarkily attacked by them.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
In favor of tournaments running smoothly, I included this. Show me how they can be reliably unlocked with ease on all setups without wasting hammers or spending absurd amounts of time or how they are balanced and in no way broken. Setup time could take forever if someone set up a new character each match of a set. Mii Fighters also bring the problem of people needing to create a Mii for their wanted weight class for each match, further increasing time spent not progressing the tournament. You want a decently sized local to take days? Thinkaman, I've seen you around here for since Brawl began, but do you even go to tournaments? All you've appeared to me as is a snarky theorycrafter with little anecdotal experience and a posse that follows.
In reverse order:

I'm a very active Midwest player, playing regularly in regional events since late Melee. I won a majority of St. Louis's Brawl tourneys, and was usually top 20 at regional events. I was for a long time regarded as the best Jigglypuff player in Brawl, though that is a pretty meaningless title and I don't want to dismiss the accomplishments of anyone else who wants to claim it.

I was extremely active in Brawl data collection, and produced Balanced Brawl with Amazing Ampharos in 2009-2010. This required understanding a large number of characters at a high-level, resulting in me playing a dozen or so characters. I had decent tourney success with Ness, Pokemon Trainer, and even Ganon. I also had a main-worthy Brawl Falcon and Lucas, but I can't remember ever having a reason to use them in any tourney.

I've also TO'd a large number of area events, usually with 20-60 participants. I'd often co-TO; someone else would be responsible for organizing the venue and advertising, and I'd run the event(s). I have never had an event run over time, ever.

Most events I TO'd were 2011 or earlier; more recent ones were smaller ones associated with a private group. (Like a school or convention)

Locally, we've currently been using a shared venue with the broader fighting game community in STL, whose host handles all events. It's been nice to have a break from TOing, but that's about to end. We're currently field-testing a new prospective venue for STL local and regional tourneys, which I'll be running.

As for customs:

I'm not sure where to begin. As for unlocking, 3DS mass-transfer basically solves everything. 99% of sets anyone will ever use are ready permanently. I've already put Ampharos's Community Recommendations on 6 consoles locally, used in tourneys.

Selecting/Changing sets takes around 2-3 seconds on the character select screen.

Setup time of an entirely new Mii or moveset is similarly trivial, and takes about 30 seconds--about as long as setting up a control profile. (Note that this is extremely rare if you already have all the common ones set-up via 3DS transfer--almost all characters only want one or two optimal movesets)

We've had the game for over 2.5 months now. We've seen all the customs, and we know that none are broken. Want a list of the best ones? Here:
  • Super Speed (Palutena Side3)
  • Timber Counter (Villager Down2)
  • Hammer Spin Dash (Sonic Side2)
  • Wizard's Dropkick (Ganon Down2)
  • Zigzag Can (DHD Neutral3)
  • Thunder+ (Robin Neutral2)
  • Dragon Rush (Charizard Side3)
  • Reflector Void (Falco Down3)
  • Kong Cyclone (DK Up3)
  • Jumbo Hoop (WFT Up2)
  • Dash Slash (Bowser Side3)
  • Relentless Missiles (Samus Side2)
  • Aether Drive (Ike Up2)
  • Giant Mechakoopa (Bowser Jr. Down 3)
  • Luma Warp (Rosalina Neutral2)
  • Power Vision (Shulk Down3)
  • Dark Fists (Ganon Up2)
  • Guard Breaker (Little Mac Side3)
  • Shooting Star Bit (Rosalina Side3)
We've been playing with all of these for the last two months. None of these moves are broken.

I don't mean to talk down to you, but the wording in your post makes it clear that you haven't played any with customs (at least in a competitive environment) and don't understand what is (and isn't) involved.

Edit:
I was going to make a joke about Diddy mains wanting customs banned, but I think it is totally unacceptable to harass or belittle someone for choosing to play a good character. I don't want that to become the tone of this conversation, so no one go down that road, alright?

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Edit: And I'm not trolling, I'm expressing how their argument has little anecdotal evidence of anything after being snarkily attacked by them.
Yeah, I couldn't think of a different word. I think theorycrafting is legitimate even if he wasn't a TO since the meta isn't very developed yet (very Brawl-focused currently imo). Apologies if it sounded a little abrasive, I'm a little bitter since I practiced customs for the entirety of the 3DS release until the Wii U version came out.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Recent Wii U tournaments have banned customs thus far only because we have not yet organized a way to mass-transfer data onto all setups in a short amount of time before the tournament starts. Not many people are actually against customs if they can be made easily available. Custom movesets will only serve to make the game more innovative and competitive as it'll force everyone to adapt on the spot, thus bringing out the best in every player.
For those who say equipment will accomplish the same end... no. Equipment is just far too game changing. No one wants to have to wonder whether or not the opponent's Ganondorf will be able to run faster and jump higher than a neutral Sonic due to speed boosts. At least I know I don't.

Last edited:

cFive

Smash Apprentice
i really want 3 stocks in smash 4!
in the last few tournaments i saw so many really short games..

smash 4 is so much faster than brawl:
- no camping due to the ledge mechanics
- more combos -> % rising faster
- so many killmoves + rage!

Its so much faster and IN ADDITION the stocks get reduced by one :/
I think you are overdoing it..

Muro

Smash Lord
yes but then people live forever and there are almost no gimps. I'm still torn on what's best.

T0MMY

Smash Master
There is no definitive ruleset as decided by the community that I am aware of and none that is officially linked to on this site.
Chances are you'll be directed the to the Apex ruleset (which has been having some tweaks here and there since being posted), though that's had it's expected disagreements.
The ruleset I've designed to be used as a kind of standard like you are asking about is linked in my signature.

Dwiz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dwizzy787
Legal Stages
Neutral Picks
:
  1. Final Destination
  2. Battlefield
  3. Smashville
  4. Town and City
  5. Duck Hunt
Counterpicks:
  1. Omega Stages*
  2. Lylat Cruise
  3. Castle Siege
  4. Kongo Jungle 64
  5. Delfino Plaza
Under Review Counterpicks**:
  1. Skyloft
  2. Pilotwings
  3. Wuhu Island
  4. Wii Fit Studio
  5. Halberd
  6. Mushroom Kingdom U
  7. MK Circuit 8
*If FD is banned, Omega Stages are banned, and vice-versa
**At TO's Discretion. While I'm against banning these stages within the first 2 months, I understand the desire to avoid hazards in tournament play.

Stage Striking
First game
:
  1. Rock, Paper, Scissors BO1
  2. Winner bans 1 neutral pick
  3. Loser bans 2 neutral picks
  4. Winner picks from remaining 2 neutral picks
Second through fourth game:
  1. Winner bans 1 stage
  2. Loser picks from remaining stages
Final Destination Clause: In the first game of a set, if Final Destination is picked, either player may invoke the Final Destination clause and have the game played on either 'Battlefield' Omega or Final Destination itself. (This rule could be extended to all platform stages with a slant from the ledge to the underbelly, à la Smashville. This would not include Lylat Cruise. It could also be further extended to exclude stages with grass.)

Reasoning:

The Neutral Picks are all omega style stages with varying platforms, and in Duck Hunts case 2 hurtboxes and the hidden bush. Duck Hunt is the only non-omega stage that extends vertically to the blastzone while remaining somewhat neutral, so I believe it has a place as a starter.

The Counter Picks are stages that have either drastic transformations; Such as Delfino and Siege, or damage-free hazards or shenanigans; Such as KJ64, and Lylat

The "Under Review" Counterpicks are stages that have valid reason to be excluded from tournament play, such as odd transformations, permanent walk-offs, or damaging hazards. How these effect tournament play still needs to be seen, and I think in semi-competitive tournaments these should at least be considered. It's unhealthy for the competitive community at large to immediately write these stages off. For example, as chain grabs are no longer reliable, walk-offs may not present the problems they did in Melee/Brawl.

This is by no means a ruleset; I won't even start on 2stock/6mins vs 3/stocks 8/mins. This is my opinion on the best way to handle the large variety of Omega Stages and quasi-neutral stages present in SSB4. If you disagree with a point or would like to add something, please leave a comment.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Preparing myself to get into a fighting game with 49 playable characters is intimidating as ****. No joke. I don't believe I'd be a competitive player if custom moves were turned on. I honestly don't got the time to keep track of all of that. I do recognize that yall seem to be pushing the custom movesets very strongly, and I'm not a TO so I can't really speak about the setup times or whatever. But the changes that some of those custom moves have are pretty intimidating to me.

Custom movesets turned on is a different game than what I've been preparing myself for these last few months, and one that is fundamentally a different game than everyone within my personal group of friends. I'm probably biased, but all the smash players I know of aren't fond of custom moves.

A part of it is presentation. It isn't as quick / easy to create a custom character as it is to select a team + alpha/beta/gamma assists in MvC. Also, each player has to unlock all of the equips themself if they hope to learn about them. Such a grindy "postgame" has never really existed before in a fighting game. (at worst, there's one or two secret characters that you can unlock by paying $2.00 from DLC or something).

I dunno, it feels like custom moves on unnecessarily increases the barrier of entry unnecessarily. If this game's metagame stagnated a few months from now, and 99% of tournaments are won by Diddy... maybe I'd be in favor of shaking things up a bit. But I'm personally invested so far into the vanilla metagame and would like to see where it goes.

----------------

I've got friends who only play the game when we get together for WiiU. They simply have no access to the game on their own, and switching it up with customs is going to reduce the likelyhood for them to play the game. No joke, it makes the game look significantly more intimidating than it already is.

-----------------

EDIT: My feelings on custom moves is somewhat complicated, because I do like metagame heavy games like Pokemon and Magic-the-Gathering. But I generally come to fighting games so that I don't have to think about metagame choices.

I mean, sure, in Smash there's stage selection, MvC there's assist selection and support move selection. But somehow, custom moves seems to emphasize the metagame that much more. I've always have had a preference for more straightforward fighters (GG, BlazBlue, Street Fighter) that don't really have the major metagame choices.

EDIT2: My feelings will probably change when I finally purchase Smash for WiiU myself and unlock equips. But in either case, I feel like the barrier to entry is definitely higher with custom moves on.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @ D dragontamer . It's easy for some of us Johnnies to get caught up in the fervor of custom moves, particularly when essentially all the arguments put forth against them are easily disproven nonsense. (It results in a crowd itching for an argument, when you know the facts are stacked in your favor.)

But increased barrier to entry is a very real and serious problem that we have to confront. We simply cannot fuel the entropic spiral towards insularity, excluding new players from our cool-kids-only clubhouse with every ruleset decision we make.

----------

The good news is, the burden of knowledge of customs is much, much lower than it seems at first glance. There are a few factors behind his.

First, in a 1v1 you have to consider, at most, 4 custom moves on the enemy--and usually only 1 or 2. You have the freedom to both know they are being used, and ask what they are. Contrast with say, Magic the Gathering, where you do not have the luxury of knowing your opponent's cards beforehand! You are obligated to know every legal card in the entire format, for every game!

Second, over half of the options will never see the light of day in competitive 1v1 play. Do you know how much damage Jellyfish does, or what character it is on? The correct answer is "It doesn't matter" because no one is ever going to use it. (It's a Sheik down-b that can't kill)

The truth is, most characters/players are only going to use 1 or 2 sets. There isn't much "meta" going on here; there is almost always a move in each slot that is strictly better for competitive 1v1. The only catch is, some characters have those moves as their defaults, while others don't.

And in the rare case where someone wants to buck the trend and use some oddball crazy signature move, alright sweet! That's a great, fresh experience for everyone involved--especially spectators.

Third, while burden of knowledge is a significant barrier to entry that we should take very seriously, it honestly hasn't proven to be a real obstacle for competitive gaming adopting in general. League of Legends has asinine burden of knowledge, but that hasn't stopped it from having more population than four-fifths of the world's nations.

What I think puts pressure on things is how opaque and kludgy unlocking, setting up, and investigating customs is. It's trivial once you have everything set (thank goodness for that), but if you are just a casual player, it's not something you will be able to explore unless you go deliberately looking for it.

----------

At the end of the day, the main benefit of customs is significantly improved character balance. (Again, the "meta" interactions don't really exist in practice, for better or for worse.)

It's easy to regard balance as something that most impacts high level play, but character balance actually almost exclusively affects low-level players, specifically those trying to improve. The best players can and will just play the top characters regardless--as we have seen time and time again in countless games. Meanwhile, it is the new players who are trying to get better with the only character(s) they have invested time into.

In practice, the advantages improved character balance brings to new players should outweigh the burden of knowledge. New players are free to continue to play with defaults until the day they feel limited by their character--at which point in most games, they would have to relearn a new character entirely or quit!

tl;dr - Customs can seem intimidating due to the sheer size of the game/roster, but in practice isn't overwhelming when you can take things one game at a time.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The thing about the knowledge barrier as well is that it's a pretty legitimate skill test and is a part of the diversity of players. Thinkaman was pretty much on-point about why it's not such a huge barrier as to prevent you from being able to play and play well without much difficulty entering (the knowledge requirement to play on a basic level is not a bit higher with customs on as opposed to off), but let's get into the deeper knowledge side of things.

I as a player know how every custom move interacts. I know the behavior of all 46 stages in smash 4. In general, I have a decent sense of the gameplan of all 51 characters. I have a mountain of esoteric knowledge on the engine already. I am continually working to improve my knowledge of all of these things; one of the main ways I work with this game is knowledge building. This knowledge helps me in games, but it's just part of my story as a player. On the other hand, I'm pretty slow as a player. I can't do most high execution stuff because my fingers just aren't that quick or nimble, and I find the faster characters just too hard to play because I'm not comfortable with a game pace that high (I main Rosalina now mostly because "complicated zoner" is pretty much the perfect character archetype for me). It's a fair balance; as a player, I have strengths and weaknesses (and plenty more beyond these two points, just keeping it simple here).

I just don't see the line of thought that it's legit to design the rules in a way to de-emphasize one of my strengths as a player and effectively emphasize one of my weaknesses. It's even more than just making my knowledge of the moves themselves. Custom moves improve the balance so when you ban them you make my knowledge of suddenly too low tier to be viable characters irrelevant. Many of the faster characters are among those who least benefit from customs; you're actually shifting the balance carefully to screw me as a player when you make that kind of a rule. It's not fair. I play smash because it's a game with so much diversity and a game that doesn't demand I do silly things like input HCBx2, forward + button to do a single move; I was using game selection in the first place to play to my strengths.

Can you tell me why, as a player, I don't deserve to have advantages from my unique skills? I already have to accept when I lose because of the things I'm bad at, and I've gotten over it and can accept it. I have to work to improve, to make my weaknesses less severe and my strengths more crushing. Why should players bad at the things I'm good at get a free pass on their issues? I'm pretty old school and believe in accepting games for what they are and in taking personal responsibility for your losses. Why should players who lose because they don't know things be exempt from that? It doesn't make any sense to me at all, and it seems to be an argument against a level playing field in which my advantages as a player are treated in a neutral way with only the game itself deciding the winner. Why should I have to work twice as hard as other people to improve as I have to overcome both my own weaknesses but also rules designed to mitigate my strengths?

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos

I appreciate your knowledge of the game, and in fact I personally attempt to reach mastery of the mechanics of that level. I also recognize that you've made a significant investment into the game that I have not (in particular, that you've begun to study custom moves while I have not).

I also recognize you as a strong Smogon player. Maybe you don't remember me, but yes, I do recognize you as a "Pokemon Professor", so I understand why you'd want to emphasize that mindset into this game. I too was a competitive Pokemon player for a short time in the DPP 4th generation.

However, I always always always prefer games that reward depth of knowledge beyond breadth of knowledge. Lets take PacMan for instance, my main. My single B attack offers eight projectiles, each of which is thrown at a different trajectory and each of which have different damage, speed and priority. PacMan also has a 9th "projectile" for side-B, the power pellet.

For the standard fruit set, I've memorized every single matchup combination. I can tell you instantly which attacks beat Mario's fireball, Luigi's fireball, clash with Villager's Tree, which are canceled out by Lucario Aura Spheres, which beat Megaman's Lemons. For every single character matchup my main can potentially go up against, I've internalized the projectile interactions. I've also internalized which attacks beat out those projectiles. (Pacman's jab and FTilt clash with Mario's fireball). This wasn't easy knowledge to acquire mind you. Its knowledge that I put forth upon myself with self-study and lots of training.

I'm not complete either. I'm still studying.

Beyond that, I've then learned which characters seem to have an advantage over my matchup game, which leads me to Robin. A secondary that seems to cover PacMan's poorer matchups (and similarly, PacMan seems to cover Robin's poor matchups as well). I'm currently in the process of mastering Robin's projectiles (Thunder, Elthunder, ArcThunder, Thoron, Extended B-held Thoron, Elfire, and Elwind). I'm nowhere close to mastering Robin yet, as I barely understand how these projectiles interact with opponent's projectiles. (does Thunder beat out Shiek's needles?)

For example, did you know that Robin can use ElWind to slightly gimp a Ness's PK-Thunder recovery, by attacking him during his active frames and reducing the distance he travels? Because Ness is "clashing" with the ElWind projectile, it reduces the distance he travels back towards the stage.

This depth of knowledge can only be gained by mastering everything about your character, and then studying the interaction of _every_ attack in your toolset against every combination of attacks from all possible opponents.

If I wish to master two characters, a "Primary" and a "Secondary", this requires me to study the interactions of 98 matchups. Pacman x Mario. Pacman x Luigi. Pacman x Peach... Pacman x Pacman... Robin x Mario, Robin x Luigi, Robin x Peach, etc. etc. Only after reaching this level are you typically prepared for what comes at you during a tournament.

Otherwise, you get punished by random stuff like Mario's frame1 invincibility on his OOS up-B (Vanilla mind you. I have no idea how the custom moves change things up). No, you don't need to execute it. Only Mario mains need to practice their fingers to do it... but you need to know how your character interacts with a frame1 invincible uppercut... and how it may affect your combos or pseudo-combos.

I've barely gotten to the point where I understand my main's matchups. I'm hardly anywhere close to understanding my secondary's matchups, outside of Yoshi and Lucario vs Robin matchups. (two characters that Robin seems to do better with compared to PacMan).

Now you're telling me that this matchup knowledge isn't enough? You're telling me that I have to go further, and explore the full customized movesets of each character so that I'm ready for all of that? Not only that, roughly 66% of the custom movesets by definition are never going to affect me in a particular battle. (you can only choose one of three custom moves).

The changing of custom moves is furthermore going to affect the metagame severely. Maybe Pacman's Freaky Fruit will do better vs Lucario's Aura Spheres, or maybe Lucario got a better down-B than his 4frame counter, and can mitigate my Robin counter-pick. These are facts I'd rather not be learning about. I would rather refuse to learn this aspect of the game, so I can continue my mastery of the base vanilla game without distractions.

The amount of "breadth of knowledge" that a 49-character roster requires is exponentially (erm... more precisely... quadratically) larger than the smaller casts of past. Smash4 in its base form is already a game that requires a huge amount of breath in its vanilla form, due to the huge cast.

To complicate things further seems like overkill, and is certainly not a metagame I'm willing to support.

Again, I'm a player who regularly plays Magic the Gathering. I've also played Pokemon competitively. But I've also played Starcraft competitively, a game with very static units that favors "depth" of knowledge over "breadth" of knowledge. Personally speaking, I'd rather have the metagame develop towards the "Starcraft" direction. More statically, with players very deeply understanding the matchups between characters. Instead of spending their time learning about movesets that may or may not matter in their particular matchup.

Most importantly however, I don't want to win on my opponent's ignorance. I don't want to be winning because I know of a special trick with PacMan's fruit in a particular matchup that my opponent forgot to study. I'm the kind of player who explains to my opponent why they lost, and also gives my opponents "practice matches" to see how my moveset works entirely before playing.

Its part of the way I play. I don't want to sound rude, but holding your opponent's ignorance as some sort of matchup advantage honestly sounds uncompetitive to me. Only when both players fully understand the matchup do I get joy from beating my opponent. Winning or losing based off of ignorance is the emptiest feeling I've ever had.

Its one thing to win on ignorance in a game explicitly designed to test your breadth of knowledge (IE: Pokemon or MTG). Sure, that's their fault for not studying enough. But that's the name of the game in Pokemon.

But winning or losing because of ignorance in fighting games? That's not cool bro. I don't like that. And typically, I've been on the winning side of the exchange... like dishing out a 3-hole frame trap to beat out an opponent's 4-frame jump in BlazBlue (Noel Vermillion pressure string, 5A 5A 5C). Opponents are never happy to learn that I'm beating them on a trick... and I'm not happy either.

Thinkaman seems to understand this issue

But increased barrier to entry is a very real and serious problem that we have to confront. We simply cannot fuel the entropic spiral towards insularity, excluding new players from our cool-kids-only clubhouse with every ruleset decision we make.
But anyway, it could be a character-choice issue. Studying and fully mastering Pacman's neutral B takes an extraordinary amount of time longer than most characters. That single attack represents 8 different projectiles in Pacman's toolkit... a total of 24 different projectiles that I have to teach myself in the customs metagame (each of which cross each other in a Pacman vs Pacman mirror).

Yeah... Cherry, Freaky Cherry, Lazy Cherry, Strawberry, Freaky Strawberry, Lazy Strawberry... Orange, Apple, Melon, Galaga, Bell... Key, Freaky Key, Lazy Key. Total of 24 when you count them out, each with their own damage, hitbox, speeds, knockback, priority.

The "rethrow" also changes the priority of the projectile. B-thrown Cherry cancels out Lucario Aura Spheres, but pick it up and throw it with A lowers its priority. Instead of clashing, it gets beaten... but only in the Lucario Matchup it seems. So really, there are 48 projectile properties I need to learn (24 from throwing it with "B", and then 24 more from catching it and rethrowing with "A"), some of which have combo opportunities (There are some vanilla Galaxian combos across Battlefield involving attacking while simultaneously catching the Galexian as it "loops" in the direction of one of its 3 random cycles), and all of which are affected by matchup knowledge.

That's a lot of matchup knowledge I have to learn, and that's only one single vanilla attack. So maybe things look far harder for me due to my choice in who I main.

Last edited:
Top Bottom