• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Kalashnikov

Smash Rookie
Let's go Lv. 1!!!
:ulttoonlink: has been a favourite character of mine ever since :toonlink:. He's been putting in crazy amounts of work and it deserves to pay off when the money is on the line.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Results for Kowloon 12 with Kagaribi (P Tier)

1. Miya :ultgnw:
2. acola :ultsteve: :ultpyra:
3. Sparg0 :ultcloud: :ultpyra:
4. Lv. 1 :ulttoonlink:
5. Zackray :ultpit: :ultdarkpit: :ultrob:
5. Doramigi :ultminmin
7. Ryuoh :ultdiddy:
7. Asimo :ultryu:
9. MASA :ultfalco:
9. Sin :ulticeclimbers:
9. Shuton :ultpyra: :ultolimar:
9. Akakikusu :ulthero4:
13. alice :ultkazuya: :ultroy:
13. Nao :ultmario:
13. Taikei :ultsonic:
13. Snow :ultmario:
17. Shriome :ulttoonlink:
17. M0tsunabE :ultfalco:
17. Gorioka :ultjoker:
17. Gackt :ultness:
17. Furararamen :ultisabelle: :ultgnw:
17. Lea :ultgreninja:
17. Toriguri :ultbanjokazooie:
17. Akio :ultshulk:
25. Raki :ultsteve: :ultkazuya:
25. ElleGo :ultyounglink:
25. takera :ultken:
25. Kuhaku :ultdk:
25. Sumaho :ultness:
25. Hurt :ultsnake:
25. Raru :ultluigi:
25. Konokururu :ultkirby:

Notable top players outside top 32: Tea :ultpacman::ultkazuya: (33rd), KEN :ultsonic: (33rd), Shirayuki :ultinkling: (33rd), Kameme :ultsora: (65th) and TamaPDaifuku :ultbayonetta: (129th).

Rizen

Smash Legend
A while ago I said I thought Spargo was the best player, then he fell off hard, lol. Spargo's coming back but it looks like he's still behind Miya and Acola. I think Miya's passed Acola at this point. I do think Spargo does better when he adds Aegis to the mix. I watched some wifi matches of Spargo vs Sonix and he was doing pretty well with Aegis.

I made this on the Young Link thread but I'll add it here too:

In my experience :ultyounglink:'s matchups go like this:
+2
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ulticeclimbers::ultlittlemac:
+1
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultduckhunt::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultlink::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultridley::ultryu::ultken::ultrichter::ultwiifittrainer::ultyoshi::ultzelda::ultpiranha::ultswordfighter::ultsheik:
Even
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbyleth::ultfalcon::ultdoc::ultfox::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultjigglypuff::ultkazuya::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpokemontrainer::ultrob::ultroy::ultchrom::ultsephiroth::ultsamus::ultsonic::ult_terry::ultvillager::ultwario::ultzss:
:ultcorrin::ultfalco::ultike::ultjoker::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultness::ultpalutena::ultpit::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultwolf::ultmario:
:ultcloud::ulthero::ultpyra::ultmythra:
If you don't see a character it's because I didn't play them enough to form an opinion. It's also likely YL loses slightly to :ultgnw: and :ultsteve: but I need more experience.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
A while ago I said I thought Spargo was the best player, then he fell off hard, lol. Spargo's coming back but it looks like he's still behind Miya and Acola. I think Miya's passed Acola at this point. I do think Spargo does better when he adds Aegis to the mix. I watched some wifi matches of Spargo vs Sonix and he was doing pretty well with Aegis.
I think it's just hard for Cloud to be solo-mainable in this game. He's a great character for sure and imo top 20, but Sparg0 going more Cloud and not focusing on Aegis too much leads to him having issues occasionally. I think WTT gave him too much confidence that solo Cloud was the right way. That being said, he didn't actually go Aegis for any player other then Masashi to avoid the Cloud ditto, and he got runbacks on several people he lost to before. I also think he was matchup checked during Golden Week, particularly by :ultbanjokazooie: and :ulttoonlink:. Glad to see him make the comeback and show himself to potentially getting back onto acola, Miya and possibly Sonix's level.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
We all signs of potential greatness of acola's :ultmythra: all the way back in Smash Ultimate Summit (which is like over a year at this point? time sure flies), so it is cool to see it finally come into play with acola being able to overcome his bracket demon in Sparg0. You can definitely tell that he really wanted this W at long last.

Kowloon 12 in general is quite the nutty tournament.

Kalashnikov

Smash Rookie
Damn, crazy that TamaP :ultbayonetta: bustered out at 129th. That guy is always really fun to watch. I don't remember who said it — might've been a Larry stream? — but he has brief moments where he's the best player on the planet before immediately ping-ponging the opposite direction and doing something incredibly stupid. It's art, in the purest sense of the word. No player epitomizes the humanity of competitive gaming like he does.

Tora :ultike: made it to Day 2 without dropping a game before swiftly going 0-2 in the main bracket. Really wish she went further — there's something about clean :ultike: that's so, so satisfying to watch.

But on the flip side, the other player I was rooting for had a crazy run! Lv.1 making :ulttoonlink:'s second major top 8, and bagging such a dominant win on Zackray after forcing him to switch was nothing short of historic. To my knowledge, that's the only time someone's forced him onto :ultrob: after he came out of retirement with :ultpit: ... but I could be wrong.

I fell asleep shortly after Zackray vs Lv.1, which apparently was a huge mistake. Acola beat Sparg0 3-1... with his :ultmythra:!? According to this tweet. after hand-counting an average across games, "48% of Sparg0's bairs that he tried to hit Acola's shield with were either parried or foresighted." That is an unreal statistic; I gotta watch that match later.

And, of course, congratulations to Miya for winning the tournament. Bagging a win on the Acola who 3-1'd Sparg0 like that is nuts, even if he was the favourite from the start.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
@/Maister_SSB

My Updated GnW MU Chart as of July 2024 (:

20240801_065636.jpg

I didn't realize Rosalina was such a tough matchup or is that just the Dabuz factor lol

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion

This is supposedly Miya's. It does indeed seem like Rosalina is a bad MU for G&W. Both Miya and Neo think Corrin is Even, while Maister thinks G&W slightly wins it. Even seems accurate to me, especially considering SHADIC has been winning against both Miya and Maister the last few times they played.

To me, Maister's MU chart seems a bit too optimistic, while Miya's seems a bit too pessimistic.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
SHADIC did a Corrin MU Chart

He thinks Corrin is a solid top 20 character.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
SDG/Whist

Supernova 2024 preliminary seeding. Full on one of the largest Smash Ultimate events of all time, tiered higher than GENESIS 6 and big enough that I've had to expand to 3 images (maybe 4 for final seeding), nearly everyone is here.
20240804_185433.jpg

20240804_185435.jpg

20240804_185437.jpg

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Aegis looking better than ever as players are beginning to implement foresight more and being able to swap between pyra/mythra better.

Mythra looks really scary when she's foresighting as much as in Acola vs Sparg0. And players should only get better at foresighting as time goes on.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Supernova 2024 Top 24

Winner's
Marss:ultzss: vs Sparg0:ultcloud::ultmythra:
Hurt:ultsnake: vs Tweek:ultdiddy:
Yoshidora:ultyoshi: vs SHADIC:ultcorrinf:
Snow:ultmario: vs Raru:ultluigi:

Loser's
Shuton:ultolimar::ultmythra: vs Miya:ultgnw:
Sonix:ultsonic: vs Light:ultfox:
crepe salee:ultsteve::ultwario::ultrob: vs Dabuz:ultrosalina::ultalph:
acola:ultsteve: vs MkLeo:ultjoker:
Asimo:ultryu: vs Geist:ultbayonetta:
Zomba:ultrob: vs Peabnut:ultmegaman:
KEN:ultsonic: vs ATATA:ultness:
Onin:ultsteve: vs Kola:ultroy:

This tournament is ultra nutty.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
What an insane run for Marss so far. Knocking Onin and Miya down to losers back to back is one hell of a reasserting statement. Between his sets against them and Yoshidora's win against Acola it feels like most of these players are getting really good at conditioning Steve's lack of range/aerial presence. His threat range is becoming pretty apparent to a lot of players it feels like, even if block will always become an x-factor for the character.

The Japanese Mario Bros. mains definitely impressing me the most outside of the two aforementioned ones. Raru's consistency with Luigi feels like it makes him a universal threat against the bracket, but Snow's Mario managing to 3-1 the tournament's third seed is just as impressive. Ultimate's Japan era making for some interesting twists and turns.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Supernova 2024 Top 8

Winner's
Sparg0:ultcloud::ultmythra: vs Hurt:ultsnake:
SHADIC:ultcorrinf: vs Raru:ultluigi:

Loser's
acola:ultsteve: vs Sonix:ultsonic:
Yoshidora:ultyoshi: vs Asimo:ultryu:

acola has been put the fear of god quite a few times, as all of his top 24 sets have been game 5. Dabuz was so close game 4 but he blew it all away. And now acola has to defeat one of his biggest bracket demons if he is going to proceed through the tournament.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Sparg0 is currently in Grand Finals at Supernova while only having dropped 2 games in the entire tournament. This could be one of the most dominant major victories alongside MkLeo at the Ludwig Smash Invitational, especially given that this year's Supernova is the most stacked event in a very long time.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Someone please check up with Sonix. He has to be cursed by the devil to place 2nd at all events, cause how did it happen again?!?
Also someone please tell him to stop using neutral getup against Roy, cause that is a recipe for disaster.

Anyways.....

Supernova 2024 (2281 Entrants)

1st: Sparg0:ultcloud::ultroy::ultmythra:
2nd: Sonix:ultsonic:
3rd: SHADIC:ultcorrinf:
4th: Asimo:ultryu:
5th: Raru:ultluigi:
5th: Hurt:ultsnake:
7th: acola:ultsteve:
7th: Yoshidora:ultyoshi:
9th: Tweek:ultdiddy:
9th: Marss:ultzss:
9th: Snow:ultmario:
9th: Onin:ultsteve:

13th: Miya:ultgnw:
13th: Dabuz:ultrosalina::ultalph:
13th: Zomba:ultrob:
13th: KEN:ultsonic:

17th: Kola:ultroy:
17th: ATATA:ultness:
17th: Peabnut:ultmegaman:
17th: Geist:ultbayonetta:
17th: Light:ultfox:
17th: MkLeo:ultjoker:
17th: crêpe salée:ultsteve::ultwario:
17th: Shuton:ultolimar::ultmythra:
25th: BeastModePaul:ulthero:
25th: Syrup:ultsteve:
25th: Lima:ultbayonetta1:
25th: Luugi:ultluigi:
25th: Jakal:ultwolf:
25th: TamaPDaifuku:ultbayonetta:
25th: Jahzz0:ultken:
25th: Juanpi:ultpalutena::ultbanjokazooie:

33rd: Tea:ultpacman::ultkazuya:
33rd: Soar:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpokemontrainer:
33rd: omega:ultjoker:
33rd: Sisqui:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:
33rd: Chase:ultpalutena::ultmythra:
33rd: JDV:ultpacman:
33rd: IcyMist:ultsamus:
33rd: PkChris:ultness:
33rd: Wildz:ultkazuya:
33rd: Pharaoh:ultyoshi:
33rd: Tilde:ultfalco:
33rd: Tarik:ultgreninja:
33rd: Gackt:ultness:
33rd: Skyjay:ultincineroar:
33rd: Dany2theny:ultwolf:
33rd: Wrath:ultsonic:

49th: Izaiah:ultpacman:
49th: Riddles:ultkazuya:
49th: VoltageStriker:ultmegaman:
49th: Monte:ultgnw:
49th: Candle:ultalph:
49th: ApolloKage:ultsnake:
49th: MoDzai:ultpacman:
49th: Atreus:ultpalutena:
49th: Teaser:ultsamus:
49th: Mugen:ultroy:
49th: Justice:ultminmin
49th: Cody:ultpeach:
49th: TM7_ZAP:ultbowserjr:
49th: Apple Reviewer:ultbrawler:
49th: Sonido:ultsnake::ultsonic:
49th: CaptainCRUP!!!:ultfalcon:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Sparg0's :ultroy: looked like a very solid "fundies" Roy. The more he was playing the character the longer the set went on, the better and better he was hitting the jairs and tech chases. Honestly given Kola's poor record against Sonix, Sparg0's Roy looked better at the Sonic matchup then Kola does, despite Kola having the better Roy overall.

Him winning Supernova in such a dominant fashion was very impressive, alongside Sonix's incredible losers run after getting upset by Snow, SHADIC's general consistency and Asimo's run after losing to Tweek, notably beating Zomba, Snow, Yoshidora and Hurt. Asimo is really showing what Ryu can do as of recent, despite Ryu being considered a high tier character.

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
I thought Sparg0 would do way better vs Hurt this time around because he really played the matchup terrible when they fought before. But I didn't expect this level of dominance. And he still doesn't play the matchup that well. There's a lot of improvements he can make. Curious as to how their next set will go.

Imo Acola should use his Aegis more. It looked so crisp vs Sparg0 when they fought. I'm not sure why he didn't try it in either of the two sets he lost.

Sonix getting second was so obvious after a point. The only question was whether he would get the reset vs Sparg0. Guy needs to try Ketamine therapy or ayahuasca or something to get over his curse lol.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Lemme just put this here and promptly slink back in the shadows

Yoshi Smash Ultimate 2.jpg

Rizen

Smash Legend
Some thoughts about Supernova:

Like I said, Spargo's better when he uses secondaries. Cloud's probably lower top tier but a little Aegis and Roy can make a huge difference in a few troubled MUs like vs Sonic. I disagree a lot with the latest Lumirank. It looks like they just went by recent tournaments held in Japan and seriously underrated players like Spargo and other NA players.
The other player I want to talk about is Sonix. I realize the irony of saying this after Sonix got 2nd but he's the best player in the world right now. Acola really hasn't been doing enough to warrant his placement above Sonix. Miya you could argue has but Acola got 7th and Miya got 13th this tournament. Why? Because Sonix beat them both! Sonix just happens to lose at the worst times but he usually goes back and wins against the players he lost to. He beat Light and Tweek too this tournament. Even Miya gets 7th or 13th occasionally but Sonix has amazing consistency getting second every single time. Shadic's looking like the best USA player and imo he was also underrated in the lumirank.

One thing Supernova showed is, I'll admit it, Japan's probably the strongest country in the world. It says a lot that Japanese players got 5 of the top 8 spots. However this also showed that despite Hurt, Acola and Miya attending, Japan cannot sweep huge North American tournaments. It says a lot that Japan didn't break top 3. Tweek said in his talk that NA should feel confident against Japan and I agree with this. Even in earlier tournaments when Miya came over he lost to Light and Shadic. There's always going to be someone to stand in Japan's way. IMO if you include all of NA, it's a better region than Japan with Sonix and Spargo in the mix.

Speaking of characters, Steve has not been winning a lot of major tournaments lately. It really goes to show how balanced the game is that so many characters have won tournaments. The problem with saying who the top 5 characters are is there's about 10 of them who could fit those spots.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
There was a weekly that went on in Japan called Maesuma HIT #30 and it had a special guest from NA and some top 50 players.

1. Maister :ultgnw:
2. Hurt :ultsnake:
3. karaage :ultfalcon:
4. denKOTA :ultlucas:
5. Raki :ultalex: :ultkazuya:
5. 33Peranbox :ultzombie:
7. alice :ultroy:
7. Tora :ultike:

Last edited:
Top Bottom