• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Marss:ultzss: unwashed at last?
He is going on a tear through bracket right now, absolutely dismantling ESAM:ultpikachu: to the point where he went :ultbrawler: for game 3. ESAM started nice with the Mii, but Marss adapted quickly and dismantled that as well.

Despite both Marss and ESAM saying that Pika wins very handily versus ZSS, Marss win record vs ESAM has been very dominantly on Marss' favor throughout Ultimate's lifespan.

In loser's, ESAM is now about to fight Tweek:ultdiddy: for 33rd place.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Glad to see the ZSS still sticking around for marss despite the nerfs and marss declining faith in her.

edit:

marss is ****ing cracked.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Okay I think we need to talk about a :ultryu: player called Ikan and their totally, TOTALLY insane losers bracket run. They have beaten and eliminated Leon, Kurama, ESAM and now Cosmos and I do not think a single one of those sets were om stream.

I hope someone posts them on Youtube or something becuase damn that is something that needs to be seen

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
The duality of ESAM:ultpikachu: is to beat Tweek:ultdiddy: 3-0, even three-stocking him game 1, then losing to Ikan:ultryu: 3-1 for 25th place.

Anyways, this tournament has been wild so far. Aaron:ultrob::ultdiddy: and yonni:ultsteve: are both getting the loser's bracket run of their lives.

Okay I think we need to talk about a :ultryu: player called Ikan and their totally, TOTALLY insane losers bracket run. They have beaten and eliminated Leon, Kurama, ESAM and now Cosmos and I do not think a single one of those sets were om stream.

I hope someone posts them on Youtube or something becuase damn that is something that needs to be seen
Nairo was watching the Cosmos vs Ikan set in Twitter. Cosmos was winning game 5 handily, but he SD'd not once, but twice at 0%. In both instances, he fat-fingered the B button instead of the A button for forward smash, and got side B by mistake.

The Green Goblin strikes again for poor Cosmos.

Edit: I forgot to say is that Cosmos SD'd in a very similar fashion at some point in game 4.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
You know people in Ultimates competitive history keep saying :ultpikachu: was so OP and the #1 character in the game , kept wishing for nerfs and then were shocked when Pika never got any nerfs and remained untouched thought balance patch history. Yet there was another character that people liked to push down and much as they hyped Pikachu up. A character they could never be top-tier despite getting consistently strong results that Pikachu never could achieve . Well one thing they have in common with Pika was also left untouched in the patch history

Who? Ill give you a hint. The character is big.

There were 7 :ultrob: in top 64 at Genesis. I think it nearly doubles any other character.

Okay its hard to argue that R.O.B is likey a top 5 character.

Also Ikan :ultryu: 3-2 Yonni :ultsteve:. Ikan gets into top 8 if he manages to beat Myran. Utterly crazy stuff.

EDIT: Alas that was not meant to be. But still what crazy run Yeah Cosmos choked hard in thier set but that should not detract too much from such a breakout performance

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace

You know people in Ultimates competitive history keep saying :ultpikachu: was so OP and the #1 character in the game , kept wishing for nerfs and then were shocked when Pika never got any nerfs and remained untouched thought balance patch history. Yet there was another character that people liked to push down and much as they hyped Pikachu up. A character they could never be top-tier despite getting consistently strong results that Pikachu never could achieve . Well one thing they have in common with Pika was also left untouched in the patch history

Who? Ill give you a hint. The character is big.

There were 7 :ultrob: in top 64 at Genesis. I think it nearly doubles any other character.

Okay its hard to argue that R.O.B is likey a top 5 character.

Also Ikan :ultryu: 3-2 Yonni :ultsteve:. Ikan gets into top 8 if he manages to beat Myran. Utterly crazy stuff.

EDIT: Alas that was not meant to be. But still what crazy run Yeah Cosmos choked hard in thier set but that should not take too much away from such a breakout performance
ngl was rootin for Ikan but GGs Myran

G8 is crazy af

Arthur97

Smash Master
Top 8 characters in Ultimate confirmed as Byleth, Fox, Cloud, ROB, Wario, Roy, ZSS, and Olimar.
Har har. Point is, this should just further prove they aren't busted. As per usual, people fear mongered about the DLC despite the fact the balance team has repeatedly proven they're pretty good at their jobs.

That said, is Fox not a serious contender for top 8 at this point?

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Har har. Point is, this should just further prove they aren't busted. As per usual, people fear mongered about the DLC despite the fact the balance team has repeatedly proven they're pretty good at their jobs.

That said, is Fox not a serious contender for top 8 at this point?

Roy and R.O.B for sure are top 8 characters. I also say Fox and even Cloud are also top 10 at least

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Seems as though ROB will get the #2 spot after this week on OrionStats. Roy has a huge lead so I doubt ROB will be #1.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Fox has really been proving himself, so, yeah, top 10 seems reasonable enough.

Roy also got a bit of a head start I think due to Georgia opening up sooner, so not sure how much that skewed things. Still definitely a popular choice, but I wonder if his lead will be as massive next season.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Seems as though ROB will get the #2 spot after this week on OrionStats. Roy has a huge lead so I doubt ROB will be #1.

Wow. That is some Smash 4 :4cloud2::4bayonetta:levels of oversaturation for high placings in a Major. Ultimate R.O.B aint on thier level of course but how can it be argued that R.O.B is not at least top 10 material anymore?

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
ROB is lowkey top 3.

Only thing holding Zomba back at this point is his own mentality. Let's see if that gets fixed in this top 8 later.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
This Fox/ Olimar matchup looks absolutely devastating lol

Light practically speedran this set at the speed of some illuminating source

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
the only DLC in the entire top 8 is Byleth
Amazing, isn't it? I'm really sick of the "pay to win" rhetoric which is not really founded in reality here. Just didn't seem to matter how many times we did this song and dance, they never break the game.

NairWizard

Somewhere
It's hard to overstate how enormous a display of raw skill Leo's win here was. To win Genesis, Leo had to play Fox, Cloud, and Wario. All 3 of those matchups, according to Leo, are bad or very bad matchups for Byleth. When Leo and Gluto were playing friendlies last week on Leo's stream, Leo kept saying that he has to make the Corrin work even though it's a tough matchup because the Byleth-Wario matchup is too hard.

This was one of the hardest brackets that he could have gotten without ESAM or Proto being in the mix, and he tore through it.

Last edited:

superjm

Smash Apprentice
Watching MKLeo continually reminds me what an absolutely absurd move Byleth's up B is. You can talk about his safe nair pressure, fair and bair being devastating mid-range options and other such things, but the character really only works because up B is just kinda ridiculous. It's instrumental at pressuring the space above him to allow his other options to flourish and gives Byleth such flexible recovery mixups, both getting to AND going from ledge for that matter, that a character with his mobility just should not have. And that's to say nothing of the nonsense that can happen when it hits.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Genesis 8

1st: MkLeo:ultbyleth::ultcorrinf:
2nd: Glutonny:ultwario:
3rd: Sparg0:ultcloud:
4th: Light:ultfox:
5th: Myran:ultolimar:
5th: Zomba:ultrob:
7th: Marss:ultzss:
7th: Kola:ultroy:

9th: Dabuz:ultalph::ultrosalina:
9th: Aaron:ultdiddy::ultrob:
9th: Ikan:ultryu:
9th: sisqui:ultdarksamus:

13th: Chag:ultpalutena:
13th: Oryon:ultwolf::ultdoc::ultmario:
13th: yonni:ultsteve:
13th: Riddles:ult_terry::ultkazuya:
17th: Monte:ultgnw:
17th: SKITTLES!!:ultyounglink:
17th: Pink Fresh:ultminmin
17th: BigBoss:ultrob:
17th: Lui$:ultpalutena:
17th: Cosmos:ultpyra:
17th: Teaser:ultsamus:
17th: MVD:ultsnake:

25th: AC:ultsnake:
25th: Big D:ulticeclimbers:
25th: ESAM:ultpikachu:
25th: Gackt:ultness:
25th: Maister:ultgnw::ultsora:
25th: BassMage:ultjigglypuff:
25th: Fatality:ultfalcon:
25th: Nicko:ultshulk:
33rd: RockMan:ultsteve:
33rd: Goblin:ultroy:
33rd: jaredisking1:ultshulk:
33rd: Kurama:ultmario:
33rd: Biggymouth:ultrob:
33rd: Tweek:ultdiddy:
33rd: Lancelot:ultchrom:
33rd: Uncivil ninja:ultshulk:
33rd: Zenyou:ultmario:
33rd: Peckham:ultminmin
33rd: Skyjay:ultincineroar:
33rd: Ogey:ultfalcon:
33rd: Atelier:ultpokemontrainer::ultwolf:
33rd: VoiD:ultsheik:
33rd: Mystery Sol:ultincineroar:
33rd: Anathema:ultrob:

49th: TriM:ultmegaman:
49th: Enki:ultpikachu:
49th: Ignaize:ultmarth:
49th: Tsubotsubo:ultolimar:
49th: 8BitMan:ultrob:
49th: Dark Wizzy:ultmario:
49th: Flow:ultroy:
49th: NoTag:ultmario::ultsamus:
49th: Grayson:ultrob:
49th: Machu:ultrob:
49th: EKING:ultpacman:
49th: Nao:ultmario:
49th: Sonido:ultsonic:
49th: Sticccy:ultfox::ultsnake:
49th: Leon:ultlucina:
49th: varun:ultwiifittrainer:

Despite the showcase from last weekend, Leo's Corrin saw very little play this weekend in singles (only streamed set he won games with Corrin was the first two games vs Lui$). Nevertheless, his trusty Byleth bulldozed his way through the bracket yet again. As a matter of fact, his Byleth was the only DLC character to make it to top 8.

Gluttony played out of his mind this weekend, with his loses only being to Leo.
Marss also played out of his mind.... yesterday. Still a step up from his performances the last several months.

Sparg0 finally got sponsored. Yay!

Also:

Another (G)enesis, another meme.

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Uhh so what happened to Pyra/Mythra? I thought they were going to ruin the game? Everyone except Cosmos has dropped them lol

Rizen

Smash Legend
Uhh so what happened to Pyra/Mythra? I thought they were going to ruin the game? Everyone except Cosmos has dropped them lol
So one bad showing happens and everybody forgets that just last week there were 3 Aegis in the same Japanese top 8. If Spargo or Leo choose not to play Aegis- or Joker, it doesn't mean they're any less ridiculous or that the many tournaments they've won suddenly don't count.
Results for Sumabato SP 25

1. KEN :ultsephiroth: :ultsonic:
2. Shuton :ultmythra: :ultolimar:
3. DIO :ultsnake:
4. Nietono :ultpichu: :ultmythra:
5. Luminous :ultjoker: :ultmythra: :ultpokemontrainer:
5. Yaura :ultsamus: :ultdarksamus:
7. Jogibu :ultfalcon:
7. Taikei :ultsonic:

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
So one bad showing happens and everybody forgets that just last week there were 3 Aegis in the same Japanese top 8. If Spargo or Leo choose not to play Aegis- or Joker, it doesn't mean they're any less ridiculous or that the many tournaments they've won suddenly don't count.
It was Sarcasm. I was just joking how people overreact after every tourney. Still think they are busted

Rizen

Smash Legend
It was Sarcasm. I was just joking how people overreact after every tourney. Still think they are busted
It's hard to tell through text. :/

But anyway, Aegis has staying power. Even if Cosmos chokes hard and Spargo and Leo don't use them they're still raking in results. That's a top tier. Maybe not as much but they have a huge player base. Shuton's picking up the slack.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Some things:

- Gluto really demonstrating the results of the grind he’s been on since before Summit. The mix of raw waft usage and setups, the pacing adaptations, and play at ledge were all superb. The man has leveled up.

I wonder if the trickle down effects when he returns to Europe will be similar to S4-era Leo on Mexico.

- Spargo is nothing if not consistent, stacking up names, and was the only player to take Leo to game 5.

- Marss The Streamer’s transformation into Marss The Competitor was exciting to see as he took out ESAM, Kola, and Aaron. I suspect if Day 2 Marss played through, he may have made it to Grands again.

- I’d love to see those Ikan sets. Dude got sent to Loser’s before top 64. And then he nearly made top 8, after taking out Cosmos, ESAM, Kurama, Yonni, and Solary Leon. Wild.

Arthur97

Smash Master
At a smaller event, yes. Also, how much was each of them actually using them? That's an important factor too; it's not like how people throw out three in the top 8 at SWT despite Leo not using them that much is it? Either way I think it's pretty safe to say that, no, they aren't busted nor are they a plight on the meta game. They are a nice and solid pick, maybe even best in the game for what little that's worth in Ultimate, but prior fear mongering seems to have, once again, not come to pass. They are, as it turns out, manageable and everyone isn't flocking to them.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
With so many interesting - borderline insane - stories to tell from this event, including but not limited to:

• Gluto only losing to MKLeo this entire tournament run, and MKLeo's own thoughts on Gluto's main suggesting that he might be better than Aegis,
  • A Ryu who almost cracked Top 8 at a Category 6 event after beating Kurama, Leon, ESAM, Cosmos, AND Yonni,
  • 5 Marios in Top 64,
  • A GnW (Monte) who got farther ahead in the tournament than Maister did - which hasn't happened since Genesis 6,
  • A Diddy Kong (Aaron) who got MUCH farther ahead than Tweek did,
  • European reps almost cracking Top 8 after nearly everyone was ready to count the region out,
  • AND a return-to-form from Marss as well as a sneak preview of his Joker,
I'm kinda surprised Aegis talk is still taking up quite a bit of this thread lol. Especially considering that not much has been added to the discussion since the LAST time it was brought up (which doesn't feel too long ago).

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Aegis are ridiculous but they've got an extremely high ceiling and they're punishing to play

Mkleo and Sparg0 are demonstrably more comfortable using other characters

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Results for Sumabato SP 25

1. KEN :ultsephiroth: :ultsonic:
2. Shuton :ultmythra: :ultolimar:
3. DIO :ultsnake:
4. Nietono :ultpichu: :ultmythra:
5. Luminous :ultjoker: :ultmythra: :ultpokemontrainer:
5. Yaura :ultsamus: :ultdarksamus:
7. Jogibu :ultfalcon:
7. Taikei :ultsonic:
Would like to point out Nietono and Luminous were more playing Aegis as secondaries/pocket characters for specific matchups. It's more like they're becoming the new pocket :ultwolf: rather then them being overcentralizing to the meta. I think that puts them much better off then it could be (e.g. :4bayonetta: had times when there were 3 or more solo mains in top 8 and much more in top 64, that was a character that actually caused over centralization).

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Aegis discussion is unwarranted imo; it's just a smug "I told you so" from people who were always going to be convinced that Aegis was never and would never be a problem regardless of meta trends because they like the character's inclusion. This always happens, on both sides of anything contentious (and is equally annoying when it's people who are convinced that Aegis is broken regardless of data).

Byleth and Cloud have been discussed to death too, which means that by far the most interesting topics post-Genesis are Wario and Ryu, two characters we don't even talk about too much. I don't even know where to begin with Ryu, so let's start with Wario.

I'm a sword guy. I have a pretty good understanding of the game overall, but I'm not deep in the Wario meta.

What do the Wario mains out there think about Gluto's latest gameplay?

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Actually, I'm pretty interested in the five Marios. Good to see him well represented even if none of them went the distance. Question is, do you think Mario will be pushed further?

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
What do the Wario mains out there think about Gluto's latest gameplay?
Gluto was doing a lot of interesting stuff this time around.

He was hopping from the ledge and being ultra evasive, doing a lot of landing nairs to shield pressure and nairs to get out of disadvantage, and tightened up his nair combos tremendously. Watch his Zomba sets and compare them, he just kept dropping his Nair combos in the first one, nailed them in the second.

I'm thinking Gluto's back.

NairWizard

Somewhere
The most interesting thing to me was his use of Wario d-tilt to whiff punish big sword aerials like Cloud b-air. d-tilt in general seems like the move of this season of Ultimate. Early in Ultimate, it seemed like whiff punishing wasn't possible given Ultimate's speed and input delay. But now, it seems like that's not the case. Whiff punishing just moved from dashgrabbing to d-tilting landings. You see it from Leo's Byleth, Gluto's Wario, Tweek's Diddy, Roys and ROBs...

If your character has a low d-tilt with disjoint or range, you may be able to top this meta.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Would like to point out Nietono and Luminous were more playing Aegis as secondaries/pocket characters for specific matchups. It's more like they're becoming the new pocket :ultwolf: rather then them being overcentralizing to the meta. I think that puts them much better off then it could be (e.g. :4bayonetta: had times when there were 3 or more solo mains in top 8 and much more in top 64, that was a character that actually caused over centralization).
Again, they don't have to be exactly like it was in SSB4. Ultimate has weirdly popular characters like ROB who don't preform as well in top 8 but end up on the top of Orion stats because everybody plays them. SSB4 wasn't like that. It doesn't mean ROB's better than Aegis, although he's definitely top tier. If you look at Aegis in terms of tournament wins since they were released and not popularity they compare closer to Bayo. Aegis already proved to over centralize the meta with many tournament wins including solo wins and 3 appearing in top 8 of a super major and got nerfed. Pyra and Mythra both got the single most impactful nerf they could get and nothing more. People are acting like they haven't already been nerfed from being OP characters.

And this was one bad showing. They're still ridiculous characters. I wouldn't count Spargo's Aegis out yet and Cosmos will win more tournaments solo; he's already won several including the Mega Smash Mondays that got him into Summit. Losing MKLeo was a big blow to Aegis but it doesn't mean he dropped them because they were bad characters. He just really likes Byleth.

superjm

Smash Apprentice
It's worth noting that both Cosmos and Shuton had their results improve pretty markedly once they embraced the Aegis, Cosmos especially. And while he's not using Aegis now, it can't be ignored how instrument Sparg0's use of them was in ascending post-pandemic. Honestly unless Sparg0 really, really believes in the Cloud I'm expecting the Aegis/Cloud dual-main to come back some time in the near future.

MKLeo can do whatever he wants.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't know, the Cloud is working really well for him, and he seems to really like using him. I think Cloud may be here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Also, have their nerfs really impacted them that much? Doesn't really do anything about their recoveries being snuffed out. Mythra's seems especially inconsequential as it means, what? She needs one more interaction to kill with forward smash? Something she can get pretty easily. Sure, Pyra can't throw out Blazing End as freely, but their play is very Mythra focused at top levels anyway. Not sure that qualifies as enough to take them down from "OP" if they ever were.

Top Bottom