• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Commentators

Twinkles

Smash Lord
come to think of it, genesis 2 wasn't streamed, was it?
streams seem to do a good job of commentary regulation, cuz no one wants to look bad to the public while the public is watching lol

i think people've learned their lesson from genesis 2. in all honesty, im just hoping hbox and armada never see each other in bracket LOL

Dron

Smash Apprentice
yeah, keeping your composure is def more important during a stream than just a recording

I don't think HMW (or really anyone) would've done the same if people outside of the community were tuning in

The Business

Smash Journeyman
the only hbox vs armada set where i watched the whole thing was when hmw was commentating.

his hate for the type of play being displayed was amusing.

Lovage

Smash Hero
yeah, keeping your composure is def more important during a stream than just a recording

I don't think HMW (or really anyone) would've done the same if people outside of the community were tuning in
i def. disagree, i think HMW is a top 5 all time commentator

maybe ur too new school to appreciate that though

Dron

Smash Apprentice
bro I love HMW, he's probably my favorite

I'm just saying he might not have been so outspoken if it was being streamed

Gastogh

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why that'd happen at Apex considering what you're talking about happened at Genesis 2 (unless you're talking about something else)

Apex has always been good with the professional commentary
- "This is more lame than watching Dieminion mirror match himself."
- "They could mail the moves to each other, and it'd be a little more interesting."
- "I'm sorry that this is happening right now."
- "These finals are boring and another word I can't say on stream."
- etc.
~ Dogysamich at Apex 2012.

That said, Prog did a phenomenal job dealing with Dogy's sour mood. Props to Prog.

This isn't to say that Dogy's commentary was all bad, of course, but it was pretty obvious how the set wore him out.

Bl00dyBizkitz

Smash Cadet
My votes. :p

Top Tier - HMW, Lovage, Phil, Prog, Benteezy, Taj
Mid Tier - Wobbles, Bob$, Dogy
Bleeeh - KK

Unfortunately, the effectiveness of your commentators depends on your audience, because everyone has their own personal tastes. Some people like analytical commentating, some people like hype, some have their own personal mix. I like a hint of commentating with a lot of hype, that's my deal.

Waffles is just awesome, that amount of unadulterated hype is a spectacle to behold.

Lovage really connects himself with the match emotionally and mentally, I feel.

I'm going to agree with a YT comment I saw and say Phil just sounds like he's having the best day of his life.

Prog is just full on swag. He's intelligent, he's responsive to what he's watching, you get excited when he gets excited. He's just cool.

Benteezy is really smart and seems to give genuine advice whenever he gets on mic. He see's something and is like "I'm interested as to why Player A devoted so much to that edgeguard when Player B did this before etc. etc." And he's a cool chill dude. I also think he and Prog make an excellent duo.

Taj is fun as hell and you can tell he's emotionally invested in the match he's commentating on, and gives great commentary since you know he's played the game before on a very high level.

Wobbles is a wealth of information and gives you the play-by-play on everything happening on screen. But he doesn't give you room to breathe, and with all the words he pours out, it's hard to focus on what words are important. And I agree with the Wobbles-Taj dynamic duo, moreso because they're both from AZ. :)

Bob$ is just fantastic when he gets hype, it's frickin' hilarious. Although I feel like he suffers the same thing that Wobbles does, he doesn't give you room to breathe.

Dogy is pretty cool himself, he's good at interaction with other commentators and gives good play-by-play, but again, I feel distracted from the match when you talk about everything that's happening on screen. He and Dogy work pretty well together too.

KK... honestly, do I have to reference IMPULSE?

Engo

Smash Ace
- "This is more lame than watching Dieminion mirror match himself."
- "They could mail the moves to each other, and it'd be a little more interesting."
- "I'm sorry that this is happening right now."
- "These finals are boring and another word I can't say on stream."
- etc.
~ Dogysamich at Apex 2012.

That said, Prog did a phenomenal job dealing with Dogy's sour mood. Props to Prog.

This isn't to say that Dogy's commentary was all bad, of course, but it was pretty obvious how the set wore him out.
Yup, this is what I was referring too.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Most people feel like the commentator should be engaged in the match with the viewer, which I've never understood. It's not a bad thing (it's often a good thing), but certainly not necessary.

I find that the match/crowd are enough for my hype.

Dron

Smash Apprentice
Yup, this is what I was referring too.
fair enough I suppose, I didn't know he said all that - poking fun at a matchup occasionally is fine, but trash talk (as subtle as it may be) needs to be avoided

we'll just have to see what happens this time around ;)

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Most people feel like the commentator should be engaged in the match with the viewer, which I've never understood. It's not a bad thing (it's often a good thing), but certainly not necessary.

I find that the match/crowd are enough for my hype.
I agree.

I think the key is giving good insight. By that, I don't mean play-by-play like a lot of commentators try to do. I don't want to hear a list of the attacks or inputs being made. I want to hear insight into what the players may be thinking in regards to the matchup, the situation, the position, whatever. Yeah, definitely sprinkle in some explanation to what exactly happened or how to do certain things, but don't skimp on the things that we don't directly see.

And don't be afraid to let there be a moment of silence. I don't think a good commentator needs his voice to be heard the entire time.

Top Bottom