• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos may still be alive

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
This game has combos, just not too many of them. I can think of some off the top of my head:

Ganon's side B -> A combo. Only works on some characters but 100% unavoidable
If you are fast enough you can AAA enemies and then dash slash them when they hit the ground, maybe leading to an up smash (depends on enemy's damage)
Link can pull of a bair then a spin attack too which is practically unavoidable. Hard to do though (for me since I suck at aerials)

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys here is a **** near unescapable combo.

Pick DeDeDe grab down throw, sprint forward and repeat, this works against many characters and is **** near inescapable if performed correctly.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
Combo's in themselves used a lot more skill in Melee. In this far less competitive game they're just pathetic.

Man, I really hate how many more noobs there are on these boards making absolutely pointless threads since Brawl came out. Stupidest thread ever.
So you're telling DDD UNFAIR chaingrab it takes more skill than, DI, edgeguard, punish, perfect shield and mind games? because some amassing combos came out really easy in melee (my marth's fox/falco u-trow until 30% and then u-tilt and F-smash, was a way easier and unfair than the right use of edgeguard).

So I'm telling this: a game whit no unfair inescapable combos, take less skills than a game which you have to use a wide amount of attacks/options (also in melee the punish for spam a lot a move is practically none, in brawl you'll have to use a variety of attacks)

orintemple

Smash Lord
This thread is so all over the place I can't even figure out what it is about anymore...

One thing I know is true

Performing combos takes some amount of skill.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
However, you can state that having no combos or combos that are minimal, also takes away some of the skill. how is that? because once you can't combo as much, and considering you have no 1-hit monstrous punishments, the punishment you can give to someone making a mistake grows smaller, which gives you the oppritunity to do more mistakes per match against a better player, and raises your chances of winning.

Personally , I believe that the better player will constantly avoid mistakes and punish his opponent's mistakes, and thus having huge punishments or small punishments won't matter in the long run, but a lot of people think otherwise.
:embarrass Quite frankly,Iam tried of seeing the same rehashed **** being said over and over again.They numb down the game in intention to close the gaps betweens characters that had guaranteed **** and those that did but werent as effective as all the Sheiks,Marths ect..,same deal with most of the adv techs that didnt make it.Trush me,if everyone could Waveshine just like Fox(via Melee),THEY WOULD OF LEFT IT IN(probably made easier to do but whatever).

Now you have the people whining about DI'ing out of what was formally "combos..owww you cant do jack until 70 hits later boi!"..Well? Get creative.Make situtions when people DI outta certain hits and make follow-ups for those "just in case" moments,instead of bitc#in about the lack of dial up combos.Ever wonder why other fighting games like Tekken arent as huge as Smash communty-wise? Its because its NOT air combo infested game for starters,thus not trying to be like other fighters are currently.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Mr. Game & Watch has some good combos. His up tilt (flag) can trap them about 4 times. Then let them fall, grab them, down throw, down smash. Potential killer right off the bat.

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
You can do insane combos in brawls, just look at the combo videos in the video discussion -insert sarcasm here-

~Hoggle out

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
a 6 hit combo is a COMBO. not 2 or 2 hits. in brawl you have to fight a dumb punching bag for that to happen.

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
Personally, I don't like combos. But seeing as how many do, I'm posting about how you may be able to start a combo.

Maybe you could start a combo by stunning with Zamus's parylizer or Jigglypuff's sing.

Note that I haven't tested it, so its just an idea.

Just how hard can one man *facepalm*? I'm about to find out....

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Wait, so, pushing buttons in a timed succession after landing one hit takes more skill than to consistently hit your opponent with multiple short combos that he or she has a chance to escape or retaliate against?

That's like saying counting to 100 is harder than naming all the possibilities of numbers that add up to 100.

Why is everyone still talking about this?

Combos in a traditional fighter -- Inescapable after the first hit lands, you need only timed button presses to continue the combo.

Combos in Melee -- Escapable. Not only do you need to continue with attacks that usually required timed button presses, you must also predict what your opponent will do in order to continue the combo.

Can this thread be over now?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Now you have the people whining about DI'ing out of what was formally "combos..owww you cant do jack until 70 hits later boi!"..Well? Get creative.Make situtions when people DI outta certain hits and make follow-ups for those "just in case" moments,instead of bitc#in about the lack of dial up combos.Ever wonder why other fighting games like Tekken arent as huge as Smash communty-wise? Its because its NOT air combo infested game for starters,thus not trying to be like other fighters are currently.
Have you been able to do this? Then how come you just assume it's possible despite many reputable people telling you it isn't?

Combos are pretty non-existent in Melee. You need to be playing as certain characters to have guaranteed comboes. "Guaranteed" means the combo will hit even if they DI, try to airdodge, whatever. You cannot get out of certain combos. Almost all others, however, you easily can.

The only way a Peach is going to be able to easily combo people in Brawl is if they don't DI and/or don't airdodge and/or don't 2nd jump and/or don't do an aerial after getting hit. It's simple facts. The day you find a way for her combo using "creativeness" is the day you have the right to tell us to be more creative.

Launching someone into the air and then intercepting them when they try to make it back onto the ground is not comboing, FYI.

Last time I checked, there were such things as 2 hit combos.
But they're useless (for the most part) and most games don't even have the combo meter count it as a combo unless it's at least 3 hits (sometimes more).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why is everyone still talking about this?

Combos in a traditional fighter -- Inescapable after the first hit lands, you need only timed button presses to continue the combo.

Combos in Melee -- Escapable. Not only do you need to continue with attacks that usually required timed button presses, you must also predict what your opponent will do in order to continue the combo.

Can this thread be over now?
Because you're wrong.

Combos in fighting games - Inescapable
"Combos" in "your" sense - Launching people and then trying to mindgame them

Such things exist in other games as well. Either you try to use Oki-zeme/Wakeup to mindgame people in games where people fall to the ground quite fast or in games like Guilty Gear and Melty Blood where you have aerial recovery, you try to bait them into aerial recovering and then combo them from that.

Doesn't make it a combo, though.

And what Smash games have you been playing, anyway? Combos in Melee have always been inescapable. Launching someone with a tilt and then charging an Upsmash in the hopes of your opponent DI:ing into it is not a combo, that's "mindgaming" them (or rather them being stupid).

Launching someone with Peach's F-tilt (in Brawl) and jumping after with a Nair and actually hitting them at anything above 35% is likewise not a combo. That's the opponent being so cataclysmically stupid they failed to DI, airdodge and 2nd jump out of it (or possibly just simply Nairing themselves).

Combos are inescapable... even in Smash. It's just that such things are so rare in Brawl that people are trying to redefine the meaning of the word "combo" so they can call their inane "combos" that won't work on anyone who's played competitive Smash for more than 5 days a combo.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
dair->waveshine->upsmash (Fox)
raptor boost/dair->fair (Falcon)
ftilt->fair (shiek)
upthrow->fsmash/fair/nair-fsmash (Marth)

The only "combo" you needed to know in melee to win majority of the matches.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Smash would be boring without combos... The best combos are improvised anyway in smash. DI will allow you to escape most ''set'' combos. Except in smash 64 where there are hundreds of unescapable zero to death or ''x percentage'' to death combos.

alcheato

Smash Ace
Last time I checked, there were such things as 2 hit combos.
Wow...a whole 2 hits?! Now if only land 50 more of those they just might do something useful.

So you're telling DDD UNFAIR chaingrab it takes more skill than, DI, edgeguard, punish, perfect shield and mind games? because some amassing combos came out really easy in melee (my marth's fox/falco u-trow until 30% and then u-tilt and F-smash, was a way easier and unfair than the right use of edgeguard).

So I'm telling this: a game whit no unfair inescapable combos, take less skills than a game which you have to use a wide amount of attacks/options (also in melee the punish for spam a lot a move is practically none, in brawl you'll have to use a variety of attacks)
Dedede's chainthrow isn't a combo; it's a chainthrow. And in Melee, if you lost to someone just spamming a single move, odds are its because you suck and don't know the matchup. If you mean projectiles, you can still spam those all you want in Brawl.

I love how all these noobs think that because a game takes out certain mechanisms that take a bit skill to perform (i.e. combos, shffling, etc...) a game is more balanced. Odds are pretty good that if someone used to play Melee competitively plays against someone who just picked up Brawl and learned what little advanced tech there is in it they'll still lose because they don't understand the strategies required well enough. Just look at Azen, Chillin, Gimpyfish, and DSF who are still dominating a completely different game because they understand strategy.

ya know, brawl's still fun.
No one's saying it isn't, it just isn't very competitive for a fighting game.

This thread is absolutely pointless and needs to be closed now.

Top Bottom