• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos may still be alive

Legend Blade

Smash Cadet
Personally, I don't like combos. But seeing as how many do, I'm posting about how you may be able to start a combo.

Maybe you could start a combo by stunning with Zamus's parylizer or Jigglypuff's sing.

Note that I haven't tested it, so its just an idea.

Mann

Smash Ace
Because matches that last more than 5 minutes with one hit, one hit, one hit is huggable.

If you really want more in-depth discussion about what each character can do, check out the Character discussions.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
do none of you play luigi? some pretty nice combos are still there

he has a Nair->utilt->utilt->uair->Bair combo that's really cool :p

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Combos do not really have their place in a Smash game. The amazing thing about that game to me is that Combos are half what they are in real games - You can chain multiple hits and try to hit him again, but he could always escape.

So, when you actually get multiple hit in rapidly, its more true skill, than just chaining multiple hits without the opponent having a chance to retaliate.

Still, Brawl does have a few combo, but what it does have isn't broken. Of "course" you can make a combo with, say, ZSamus's down smash, thats just a plain obvious effect of it.....

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Wait, so, pushing buttons in a timed succession after landing one hit takes more skill than to consistently hit your opponent with multiple short combos that he or she has a chance to escape or retaliate against?

That's like saying counting to 100 is harder than naming all the possibilities of numbers that add up to 100.

whisperingtears

Smash Apprentice
COmbos in brawl aren't set sequences you can just memorize like traditional fighter. A there are a few, but what passes as a combo is know where you moves will put some one and following up. That still takes a fiar amount of skill.

kupo15

Smash Hero
A combo im working on with Mario.

running slide>u tilt> u tilt>u tilt> u air>bair>bair>jump>bair>reverse fireball>fair>nair>ACE>fair>dead!
0 to death!
Seriously though, I have been able to do up till after the double bair. The rest is in my head and what I think might work. the jump>bair may have to be omitted but the combo I have done so far is very rewarding. I also have done some other cool combos with Pit. Its in the match with Falcon on youtube at 2:57 if you care. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdCceOl-FEc&feature=user

MaverickZer0

Smash Cadet
Wow... whoever was playing Falcon sucks. Seriously, who double jumps like a moron constantly? Can anyone say easy target..

kupo15

Smash Hero
Wow... whoever was playing Falcon sucks. Seriously, who double jumps like a moron constantly? Can anyone say easy target..
ummm..no. He is a great player. Falcon was his main in Melee and he uses his now more like a fun character. He is an excellent Falcon and Falco player in Melee. And if you see our video where he is Marth, he ***** me.
Oh and I forgot to add, that was our first time playing a Brawl match so we didn't know each others style.
But to his defense, I wanted to say that he is an excellent smash player. You can't judge him on one match!

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
fail, combos take skill, but this game isn't as much about skill, its about having fun.

I'm not pointing you out or anything but I find it kinda sad when I hear people and reviews of this game call it nothing more than "a party game,button masher, etc. ".
alot of people really dont (and never will) fully realize how deep smash is as a technical, competitive fighting game. When you look at games like Guilty Gear, the people who play them instantly assume that smash isnt technical at all. This is because all the advanced tactics in smash were never meant to be applied by the player. This is why smash will never be anything more than the "party game" that most see it as ='(

sorry but I had to get that off my chest...

EmperorCesar

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I don't like combos. But seeing as how many do, I'm posting about how you may be able to start a combo.

Maybe you could start a combo by stunning with Zamus's parylizer or Jigglypuff's sing.

Seriously, don't ever post again.

Viny

Smash Cadet
Combo i use whit falco
Laser canceling>dashattack>utilt>Dair>grab>chainto the edge>downtrhow>shine>SPIKE!!!

Evilpenguin

Smash Cadet
Some responses to this thread are ridiculous. Now that the scrubs realize they will still lose to pros even without lcanceling/wavedashing, they are now trying to argue that comboing is cheap or not requiring skill.

/summary of thread

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman

almost all characters can combo out of a grab with a few moves and then keep them aerial using sh if necessary and projectiles. People who say combo's dont exist need to just play training mode and learn the physics, it just requires more thought about the next step then...
up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c up-c.. WIN( in melee as fox...)

misterbee180

Smash Apprentice
The problem w/ combos in brawl is the fact that most characters attacks don't allow a quick enough recovery time for the attacker or don't cause enough lag time for the attackie to allow for another hit to be thrown in w/o the attackie jumping up and nullifying any combo opportunity. No matter how well a person knows where the opponent will di to, he can only jump/attack so high and so far. Once his opponent is out of reach the combo is over and unfortunately brawl seems to love to send the atackies just out side of the hit range of a follow-up attack.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace

Seriously, don't ever post again.
I seriously.. have to agree.

Jigg's sing? Sorry, but LMFAO. Read up on what a combo is por favor.
Lol. Triple agreement.

But yeah, combos are definitely, and sadly, are not as prominent in Brawl as they were in Melee. Yeah, sure, some combos were cheap and broken, but at least if you were good enough, you wouldn't get caught in them. In brawl, combos are more figuring out what your opponent is gonna do.

EmperorCesar

Smash Apprentice
Holy ****, I cant believe you people aren't amazed by how f*ing ******** the original post was. I've lost all faith in humanity.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace

orintemple

Smash Lord
Did anyone else realize that almost every combo named in this thread can easily be DI'd or airdodged out of...

Even the "combo" in my sig was a one time deal due to bad DI, hell, it wasn't even really a combo.

With Fox, dash attack to utilt, maybe 2 of them, works pretty much flawlessly but anything more is just pure luck of bad DI from the enemy.

There are very few true inescapable combos in this game.. and the ones that are there are only a couple hits.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Some responses to this thread are ridiculous. Now that the scrubs realize they will still lose to pros even without lcanceling/wavedashing, they are now trying to argue that comboing is cheap or not requiring skill.

/summary of thread

high five me right now.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
Wait, so, pushing buttons in a timed succession after landing one hit takes more skill than to consistently hit your opponent with multiple short combos that he or she has a chance to escape or retaliate against?

That's like saying counting to 100 is harder than naming all the possibilities of numbers that add up to 100.
Not enough people have paid attention to this post.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace

I posted it again so MAYBE people will just not post ******** ****.

alcheato

Smash Ace

GTFO of my interwebs.

Combo's in themselves used a lot more skill in Melee. In this far less competitive game they're just pathetic.

Man, I really hate how many more noobs there are on these boards making absolutely pointless threads since Brawl came out. Stupidest thread ever.

Tube

Smash Rookie
Combos exist in this game only when the opponent is too nub to DI out of them

tag yeah

Smash Cadet
Two hit combo ROCK 'N' ROOOOLL!!!
Actually, if you start with Dsmash you have alot of moves you can do, you dont need to Fsmash right after, one combo would look like, D-smash->D-throw->B-up->D-smash->B-side, or you could just keep doing it untill you can no longer reach with your b-up, you can also adjust it for chars that are harder and easier to combo on IE: jiggly or cpt. falcon

SFJake

Smash Apprentice

/summary of thread
Actually, if you think combos take skill or not more or less than not having them is an opinion you f***ing *******. I'm taking the common attitude right now, since people can't act properly.

Thats not really hard to comprehend. I've been playing games since I'm a kid and I'm not pro either, but I've seen how combos are done in lots of games and you can say it takes skill and all, YES IT DOES, but when the other person can't do sh*t about it, how is that skill after all? Once you can do it perfectly, its all a matter of constant accurate input to do the combo while the other guy is stuck.

When there are no direct combo, there are no free hits just because you know a "combo". Whatever the crap you guys can say, how combos takes MORE or LESS skill than not having them is a FU*CKING OPINION and the stupid people here arguing like they are right, saying others are "scrub" and the like should really shut themselves up.

And I don't give a crap if that attitude was taken because of first post, people taking it as a joke topic and all, but these attitudes piss me off to no end. And this post was not directed only to the guy I quoted.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Actually, if you think combos take skill or not more or less than not having them is an opinion you f***ing *******. I'm taking the common attitude right now, since people can't act properly.

Thats not really hard to comprehend. I've been playing games since I'm a kid and I'm not pro either, but I've seen how combos are done in lots of games and you can say it takes skill and all, YES IT DOES, but when the other person can't do sh*t about it, how is that skill after all? Once you can do it perfectly, its all a matter of constant accurate input to do the combo while the other guy is stuck.

When there are no direct combo, there are no free hits just because you know a "combo". Whatever the crap you guys can say, how combos takes MORE or LESS skill than not having them is a FU*CKING OPINION and the stupid people here arguing like they are right, saying others are "scrub" and the like should really shut themselves up.

And I don't give a crap if that attitude was taken because of first post, people taking it as a joke topic and all, but these attitudes piss me off to no end. And this post was not directed only to the guy I quoted.

However, you can state that having no combos or combos that are minimal, also takes away some of the skill. how is that? because once you can't combo as much, and considering you have no 1-hit monstrous punishments, the punishment you can give to someone making a mistake grows smaller, which gives you the oppritunity to do more mistakes per match against a better player, and raises your chances of winning.

Personally , I believe that the better player will constantly avoid mistakes and punish his opponent's mistakes, and thus having huge punishments or small punishments won't matter in the long run, but a lot of people think otherwise.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
It's not really worth arguing the value of combos in the long run, because it can go both ways for days. I could refute any statement in this thread with a statement from the other position. Just understand the difference between a game with big combos and a game without. It simply makes for a different game, and which game turns out to be better is completely opinion.

Top Bottom