• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.Com(protman10)'s Vid Thread.Sexy New Set of 9 with ChiboSempai

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Yeah took some time, but I finally have some videos up.

I am .Com but this account was created back in 05' so I don't want to change anything about it.

Please leave comments, advice, anything at all, (Rating is encouraged) would be helpful and appreciated.
(on a side note yes I do try to keep my PIkmin ordered... WELL SOMETIMES :D)
I am trying to get better and I think I can with my Olimar playing pals.(doesn't matter if I don't know you... Olimar's rarer than a Dodo bird...and their extinct)

.Com vs ChiboSempai in a set of 9(Ultra Set)
I lose 4-5 in a eerily close match but it was fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdndmtBDxJw

.Com vs ChiboSempai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkdEkp91zQ
I am 1-2 in the Set.

.Com vs Kupo(Pit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouxHi17uUOo

.Com vs Kupo(Pit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ymXmFw0gw

.Com vs Kupo(Pit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvUBCEO7n2s

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
yo, did you do an upsmash and a dsmash at the same time at around 1:30 in that first video? what was that?

Dotcom

Smash Lord
wow never noticed that but no. I think I de synched. i tried to grab with the white and immidiately did a D Smash. the white jumped in not wanting to get in the way of his brethren turning out to be a pretty coo shot.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Very nice videos. Do you not do the basic dthrow combos on purpose?
I'm not being sarcastic, you did great! I enjoyed watching this.

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Woah, you do the grab+A thing aton more than me. At what point do you usually start doing that? I noticed you'd throw them normally after a grab in the beggining, but then as they got more damaged you could hold em' longer and get all that extra damage... Would you say around 50%? 75?

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Waltz: Coming from you I thank you. I try not to rely on the Down grab thing usually from the start of a match. I feel that if you grab to a latch, and then keep grabbing it racks up damage at a nice rate. Usually they try to dodge the grab after a while and that's when i get the opening for the D Grab to U Smash, or Fair and keep that going.

MushI: Yeah I personally think it's essential that Oli attacks with his throws after about 60% that's where you start doing it more, but dont do it alot until like around 80 or 90. That's when you can do it alot and get away with it making it an easier kill for you.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
That usmash dsmash in the first video was weird, I wonder if that actually worked as two attacks like that. Thats worth looking into.

asob4

Smash Champion
you have a great ground game but i wanna see more aerials. and down throw combos when done right get them to about 40-60% on almost every character. with a latch it's even more. the grab-latch is nice but if you grab-latch and then do a d throw combo it's even more damage.
good job though
and i understand it was pit so sometimes aerials aren't the best but i still wanna see moar

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I know all about the down throw "combos." The problem with them is that if done repeatedly, especially against a Pit, they can easily find a way to get out of them. That's why I don't use them a lot. i feel that keeping them guessing with the multiple grabs, when thrown in with latches, is a great way to rack up damage and keep them confused.

asob4

Smash Champion
you shouldn't be using d-throw > fair > d-throw > fair all the time
i've had to change mine up constantly. every stock is a different grab combo, and yes they are combos. a lot of them are unavoidable.
besides the olimar boards and the SBR most the people on here are not very intelligent. (match up chart? wtf? jank)

asob4

Smash Champion
no, you're on the olimar boards aren't you? that means you are intelligent haha
it was directed towards the "brawl doens't have combo's" people

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
I feel it's the complete 180 at AiB. As I'm an Olimar main (I can't play anyone else, anyway) I am on this forum more.
Dr. Robotnik's thread and everyone agreeing with him cept me and Dangr is such lololololoooool.

Also, if that's how you truly play protoman, do you think you can get purple grabs fairly easily? If so, you can go purple grab to other color pikmin grab. It's dodgeable, I'd bet, as I have not tested it.. But if they roll away from you, they will be grabbed due to distance.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
besides the olimar boards and the SBR most the people on here are not very intelligent. (match up chart? wtf? jank)
I find that on both this site and AIB, it's either really good or really bad. There's a running joke between a couple of my friends and me about "People you can safely assume you'd be able to beat with any character" based on some of the extremely stupid things said. This board has been generally above average, which is why I hung out here before I even started playing as Olimar.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
well, protoman, you got me even more interested in watching these when I saw it was kupo's pit. He's a great pit player and you did great against him as well. I'm going to try and point out the big things that came to mind when I watched your videos. Keep in mind that I think you did great. ^_^

I'd recommend being a bit more mobile. When you stayed in one place(a lot during the first match), it gave him time to plan an approach. That's especially bad against pit b/c of his variety of ways to get in to attack. For the most part, you did well defending him though. Try to move around a bit more while throwing your pikmin when he's farther away.

Jumping more can help as well. You can see your lineup easier if you jump around more,(which could have helped on some of those empty grabs) and it's a mind game in itself. Ex.-You jump. Your opponent's brain registers that you jumped and immediately thinks of ways to approach or defend against an airborne opponent. You ff to the ground and immediately fsmash or grab. You've now just closed up A LOT of space in a small time frame by doing that. It works well with similiar characters like lucario, marth, falco, pikachu, etc.-all with great spacing options in their fsmashes. It can help mess up most decent approaches.

empty fsmashes. I've begun experimenting with this after practicing with lucario(so I can beat MK. >_>) It works VERY well with lucario and it's a great way to space yourself. Its surprisingly long lasting hitbox and great range can make ground approaches from your opponent seem useless. That can get them into the air!-which is where(for the most part) you want them to be. Olimar's great aerial defense helps him there. This is just something to experiment with though, as it's not a concrete strategy with Olimar yet.

meeting him in the middle- try and meet your opponent midway in between him rushing at you. In other words, attack him just before he attacks you. It closes space fast and it's hard to counter it when you know it's coming and he doesn't. I recommend SHfairs agaisnt pit b/c it goes over his dash attack.(if he reacts and tries to punish with that option) If you notice, Pit's dash attack is angled at your feet more than at an aerial opponent. It's a vulnerable spot in his approaching when you rush him. He doesn't have very many options when you meet him in the middle anyways. I mean, think of something he can do to you when you quickly SHfair. He could grab, dash attack...what else? there isn't really anything.

Well, I hope this helps. You have a great Olimar! ^_^

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Thanks DanGR.
Just to clarify some stuff i'm usually in the air more in matches where i have played people before but that was my first time playing him so for me it was alot of waiting out to see what he was going to do.
Also my aerials depend on what charcter i'm playing obviously i'm going to be more of an aerial fightergoing up against a Samus or Ganon, than I would versus a Pit or Marth.

But thank you all for your support and taking time out to comment.
But I still want to hear what you guys have to say, or how I can improve.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
yo, did you do an upsmash and a dsmash at the same time at around 1:30 in that first video? what was that?
wow never noticed that but no. I think I de synched. i tried to grab with the white and immidiately did a D Smash. the white jumped in not wanting to get in the way of his brethren turning out to be a pretty coo shot.
That usmash dsmash in the first video was weird, I wonder if that actually worked as two attacks like that. Thats worth looking into.
well I'm gonna be a kill joy and tell you that it wasn't a de-sync, sorry.

From what I saw it was white pikmin returning and hit the edge of the stage which causes the pikmin to jump.

I hate to sound like a government agent saying this was just a weather balloon filled with swamp gas and not a UFO, not to offend any "believers", but check the vid and try rolling on to the edge or running to it. The vids were nice by the way, I honestly read de-sync and had to see if it was.

I'm not on a hunt to find the legendary smash in all directions but I want to makes sure that if something is called de-sync then it truly is.

Sorry to make a fuss about this.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Meh IMO Protoman your not really that good, from what i seen, and ive noticed your style but i think i can beat you. Kupo wasnt a heartless, you staying in one spot, i could plan a way to knock you far off and edge guard intelligently. IMO you need more practice, than just kupo's pit. Your really not even a good player.

Btw how we going to the tourney on sunday?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
like seriously dude^. You're just gonna waltz up in here to say he's not good? You should be ashamed.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I don't care if I know him or not that's a real *** hole move.
That's so disrespectful, it isn't even funny.

A friend would come in and say "dude you suck lol."
But you took it to a whole different level.
Cut that sh*t out.
Your not definitely not funny, in real life either, or cool.
and were getting a ride on your mom(cause everybody else rides her).. BURN!

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I don't care if I know him or not that's a real *** hole move.
That's so disrespectful, it isn't even funny.

A friend would come in and say "dude you suck lol."
But you took it to a whole different level.
Cut that sh*t out.
Your not definitely not funny, in real life either, or cool.
and were getting a ride on your mom(cause everybody else rides her).. BURN!
Wait he was being serious?

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think you have a pretty good Oli protoman. I have never played an Oli before so I can't really compare or provide help. You can tell I didn't know how to approach you lol. If I stay back a little you just throw pikmin ("stop throwing sh** at me!!!") and if I approach, I get grabbed ("let go of meee!") lol. ^_^

I have no idea what is going on around olimar. It is like screening a goalie in hockey!!

You didn't include the Delfino counter pick Dtilt spike :( lol

Dotcom

Smash Lord
^ those matches were so funny.
I'm too ashamed to throw in the spike. I cried.

Does anyone have anything productive to say, I really could use everyone's help?

Btw the way guys Sir Lucario got ***** by a ganon. and by ***** i mean 2 stocked at least 4 or 5 times in a row. BY A GANON ROFLMAO. That Ganon has mad skills tho. So shoutouts to G!

Olimarman

Smash Ace
^ those matches were so funny.
I'm too ashamed to throw in the spike. I cried.

Does anyone have anything productive to say, I really could use everyone's help?

Btw the way guys Sir Lucario got ***** by a ganon. and by ***** i mean 2 stocked at least 4 or 5 times in a row. BY A GANON ROFLMAO. That Ganon has mad skills tho. So shoutouts to G!
I'm not defending Skor, but Ganon is a BEAST if you can use him. Skor (Sir Lucario) always puts me down also. I think he thinks that hes the best Pit out there and can't stand if theres other people close to his skill level, especially if he knows them personally. Even though I lose to him most of the time, I still think I'm pretty good. Tbh he does play a really good pit, but thats low of him to say that in front of the entire Oli boards. Btw, from playing you and watching the vids, I can definately say your a boss Oli. I'm pretty sure you or skor said you don't have wifi but if you do I'd love to play you again. We had some intense ditto matches. But yeah, I don't think Skor can accept that others are better than him. Skor if you read this, I still think your ballin, but this was low of you to say.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Ahh Protoman shut up, you know i was just kiddin, stop throwing a hissy Fit, and G didnt 2 stocked me 4-5 times.... And when we were playing doubles i got use to his style and was fighting him better. NOOO1!!! can beat me IRL MUHAHAHA . Btw Snood your better than him +). And proto your mom jokes are horrible. But No Seriously... How are we getting to that tourney this Sunday? Btw we should go to Critical Hit.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Proto- after rewatching your vids that you posted I felt like I should post something on your playing style.

It seems two dimensional. Not a compliment but not something that is a terrible thing to say. You have a standard set-up when you were playing:
1) If he's in front of me I grab
2) If he's in the air I jump and attack

Logical but predictable after a bit.
To get to the next level without changing your style much add in pivot grabs.

Run past them when they expect the grab and turn around and grab. It is something that would suit your style well.

Air is Pit's favorite turf, well it was when I watched the vids and you were in it. Sometimes you just got in there for a nice attack and then sometimes you get knocked far away.

Use UP+B every now and then to solve this. I saw you use it as an attack once I believe but there were more and better times to use it.

Also I know that the purple grabs were working for you but just know that throwing a purple is usually better strategy than grabbing with one early in the game. I know that it worked I'm just saying Oli's shortest and slowest grab isn't something that should be use to often.

When the opponent is high in damage then ya, risk it.

All in all I'm fine with your style. Nothing extreme about it other than you like the ground which is good but you seem to lack use of some of Olimar's other moves. You limit yourself as a player by not using more of Olimar's moves. Because the more you use them the sooner you'll know when to apply them. Just common thing to say when giving tips but yeah something to work on.

Keep up the Oli.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Ahh Protoman shut up, you know i was just kiddin, stop throwing a hissy Fit, and G didnt 2 stocked me 4-5 times.... And when we were playing doubles i got use to his style and was fighting him better. NOOO1!!! can beat me IRL MUHAHAHA . Btw Snood your better than him +). And proto your mom jokes are horrible. But No Seriously... How are we getting to that tourney this Sunday? Btw we should go to Critical Hit.
Don't say I'm better than him, thats still putting him down. I'd say were equal.

Btw Snood your better than him +)
Snood is me, screename from a different game.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Not gonna respond to someone being an A Hole.
Thanks Hyde for your Input. I just fell that those are not my best matches with me rolling around SO much, and just standing there most of the time.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Just work on other approaches than grabs. Yo you wanna play some dittos tomorrow proto? Ill be gone for the rest of the day in like an hour but Id like to play you again.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Not gonna respond to someone being an A Hole.
Thanks Hyde for your Input. I just fell that those are not my best matches with me rolling around SO much, and just standing there most of the time.
it's all good. Basically moving around works but keeping spacing is what is best for Olimar. If Olimar keeps his spacing he wins. The only thing that beats it is Samus' Zair.

geekd

Smash Apprentice
its been said but you gotta keep your oli moving. you have a tendancy to stand still like a turret launching pikmin in all directions. It would significantly speed up your playstyle if you were always dashing shing ffing and throwing pikmin during downtime. Also be careful of how often you roll; it is a crappy way to space. Most of olimars moves are easily air-dodged, which makes predictablily a major flaw to overcome. Tilts, nairs and ub would help vary your playstyle significantly. Best of luck

Olimarman

Smash Ace
The ABSOLUTE worst Olimar I've ever seen in my life <3
So far I've watched the first match. You've gotten a lot better and your spacing on chibo was nicely done. You can shieldgrab Rob's nair though, and use your grabs more. They're cheap, but your Olimar. Don't be afraid to use a move. Nice work (you know the word)2.

Top Bottom