• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colors make you play better/worse

Yagzathoth

Smash Rookie
Where I live, you won't need DI(Spokane, WA)
I think colors help lower skilled players a lot more because any thought processes just as he says; "I'm a purple Fox, I'll spam moves" would actually change the outcome of a match since the game understanding is not quite there yet.
I don't have MUCH experience in tournament, mostly because of where I am, but if it helps, why not.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well I'm just saying that you would get into this "mode" by choosing a color, this "mode" will not be easily exploitable if you face someone your level.. it will only be a lot more obvious if you face someone way stronger which is why they would be more immune to these types of things. They will be able to see the patterns of those modes. Now just writing this, I feel pretty bad for PP. lol.

Yagzathoth

Smash Rookie
Where I live, you won't need DI(Spokane, WA)
Well I'm just saying that you would get into this "mode" by choosing a color, this "mode" will not be easily exploitable if you face someone your level.. it will only be a lot more obvious if you face someone way stronger which is why they would be more immune to these types of things. They will be able to see the patterns of those modes. Now just writing this, I feel pretty bad for PP. lol.
Poor Dr. D
I get that mode **** you're saying though.

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
I remember Synikal used to play Green Marth and always used the 4th player slot to get the green bubble. Dunno if that's linked in any way with his incredible technical consistency. Never seen anyone more technical than him.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
WARNING: MEGAPOST

I main red falco (for obvious reasons)
I play blue falco when I want to slow down and relax
I play green falco when I don't want to shine so much
I dont play white falco...at all...

I main red falcon (also obvious)
black falcon for wicked movement changes and combos (darkrain, ghost)
green falcon for crazy techchases and mindgames (SS)
default falcon for super agro (isai, scar)
white falcon if I want to try to read my opponent (hax)
blue falcon for super technical expeirements (star)

green fox because it doesn't matter what color I use my fox suck anyway.

He is the only person I now to coordinate character color with port color.
SilentSpectre often used 4th port

D

Deleted member

Mostly blue. It depends on the character. Like blue Zelda, green Fox, etc.

Crypt

Smash Cadet
can't play doc w/o dr. midnight

also hugs for samus and ka-master for luigi are best colors

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
White Falco makes me play hella smart
Green Falcon makes me play smart
Red Marth makes me play aggressive
Black Marth makes me play campy and edgeguard a lot
White Marth makes me play like a scrub
Pink Peach makes me play like Armada
Black and White Shiek makes me go for crazy edgeguards a lot (m2k)
basically what choknater said
I copy the people that play that color the most

but color definitely affects the game

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
I mash the x button as fast as possible and tell my opponent to click start. Seeing as I don't care what colour I am. The Character does not change :p.

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
Falco - Red
Marth - White or Green
C Fal - Blue or Pink
Fox - Purp or Green

If it's Falco dittos and my opponent goes Red before me, or if I'm playing someone notable who uses Red Falco (Westballz), I'll play the respect card and just give go Green or Blue. For other matchups I'll switch depending on what color my opponent is using, no superstition, I just like there to be a sharp contrast between us so I can keep track of everything better. So if I'm Red Falco and I'm playing a Red Marth or C Fal, there's a high chance I'll change my color to Blue just so a color contrast of some sort is in effect. I'd say the main reason for this is the fact that I have slight colorblindness. Whenever I do teams I have to insist that one of the teams is blue because with four people on screen Red and Green look exactly the same to me (nothing that can't be countered with a tag on my partner so I know what's what, but it's hella annoying regardless) so normally I just immediately go blue in teams.

That being said, I honestly think it's normal to have a color preference, but silly to think using a specific color can MAKE you play better or worse. Everything is the same even if you trick yourself into thinking it's not.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Red makes everything better. This claim is backed by thousands of years of refined Ork engineering.

Many vehicles in the Ork armoury are painted red as a result of the superstition that it makes them "go fasta!". Because of the cumulative psychic effect
of the Waaagh!, this thought manifests itself as a real boost to the operation of a vehicle. The effect is not limited to vehicles as red is found on just about any item an
Ork wants to make stronger, faster, shoot better, etc. The most fanatical Orks belong to the Kult of Speed and use red liberally.
tl;dr : Be red or be dead.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I mash the x button as fast as possible and tell my opponent to click start. Seeing as I don't care what colour I am. The Character does not change :p.
but silly to think using a specific color can MAKE you play better or worse. Everything is the same even if you trick yourself into thinking it's not.
Fools ITT.
It's the color that makes you win, not the character. No matter which character wins a tournament, in the end, the only thing they have in common is that they have a color.
By that logic, I can safely affirm that the color always win.

Told status :
[] Not Told
[] Told
[X] Stone Told Steve Austin

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Come on, guys, it's clearly cow Sheik.
Cow? Try Holstein?
Red makes everything better. This claim is backed by thousands of years of refined Ork engineering.
Many vehicles in the Ork armoury are painted red as a result of the superstition that it makes them "go fasta!". Because of the cumulative psychic effect
of the Waaagh!, this thought manifests itself as a real boost to the operation of a vehicle. The effect is not limited to vehicles as red is found on just about any item an
Ork wants to make stronger, faster, shoot better, etc. The most fanatical Orks belong to the Kult of Speed and use red liberally.
tl;dr : Be red or be dead.
I go to Smashboards and I get 40k references? It's bad enough this site is already formatted just like Spacebattles.

Snu?

Smash Rookie
Neutral G&W - Historically ostracized
Pikachu w/ party hat - Party Animal
Red Doc. - The Love Doctor
White Falcon - Captain Fabulous

And whenever I play green Peach, I tell my friends that I need to wear my sundress. Never gets old.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Update: so I've been experimenting with this color situation and I've found that colors actually effect my skill level.
I was playing a while ago and I usually play red falcon (try to guess why), but at a tourney that I went to I just got the "captain fabulous" color on the random.
I started playing like hax (I wasn't trying to, it just happened)
so I decided to go back to my red falcon and the stuff I was doing got a lot harder, so I went back to hax color and I merked errbody.
Colors do make you play better/worse

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
Update: so I've been experimenting with this color situation and I've found that colors actually effect my skill level.
I was playing a while ago and I usually play red falcon (try to guess why), but at a tourney that I went to I just got the "captain fabulous" color on the random.
I started playing like hax (I wasn't trying to, it just happened)
so I decided to go back to my red falcon and the stuff I was doing got a lot harder, so I went back to hax color and I merked errbody.
Colors do make you play better/worse
nes n00b <3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5hCFxps37Q

Hax

Smash Champion
pink falcon being the sickest alternate in the game is part of the reason i initially picked him

also why didn't that Sheik character select picture blow more people's minds? where the hell did that come from?

Insom

Smash Apprentice
pink falcon being the sickest alternate in the game is part of the reason i initially picked him

also why didn't that Sheik character select picture blow more people's minds? where the hell did that come from?
Omg Hax commented on my thread :gova:

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that the color itself really doesn't affect my play but I tend to be more consistent if I stick with a color. Perhaps even more interesting is that if I do switch colors it tends to cause me to want to be more innovative or experimental in my play style but not necessarily more consistent.

And if anyone cares:
- Green or Black Marth depending on my mood. Black if I want to look initimidating and fool people into thinking I know what I'm doing. Green if I want to experiment a bit more or strive for innovation in the match.
- White Falco
- Red Fox

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Anything besides neutral Fox looks stupid like it's from some strange bizarro universe (red boots and a green jacket? he looks like someone from the smash community chose his wardrobe when he got dressed)

Other than that color choice is irrelevant and only OCD stupidity

Griffard

Smash Ace
Rose/Powder Blue Doc
Lakey dark blue Zelda/Darker than neutral Sheik
Purple/OP Blue DK
QT purple boots Fox
White bird
Party time Pika
Mustard Mario
Black and Yellow black and yellow ness

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Anything besides neutral Fox looks stupid like it's from some strange bizarro universe (red boots and a green jacket? he looks like someone from the smash community chose his wardrobe when he got dressed)

Other than that color choice is irrelevant and only OCD stupidity
we call that the christmas fox

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I counter pick purple fox on FOD to confuse my opponents. I use green fox for every other stage.

Shiek: White

Top Bottom