• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Collection Room: Sonic Video Archive & Critique

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Good luck with that. It's a really interesting approach but it's so very limited due to its incredibly strict timing.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I can do the non B reversed one fine just the timing on the B reversed version is hard because of the way B reversing side specials works on top of how sonic's spin attacks stop his momentum when he starts charging. Although once i can do it consistently i can see so many nasty cross up options become available. I'm also trying to figure out the timing for a spin shot out of VSDJ2 as well as the timing for the short hop bounce you can do with it. i can do the short hop off regular spin attacks sorta consistently but with time they'll work there way into actual matches.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
@ kid craft 24/sonic master kid craft 24/sonic master Really clean gimp on Diddy for that first stock first round... But then the wall jump bair SD >_>

Second round, good patience and movement when pursuing with Uair and Spring>Uair.

Overall, oddly enough, I noticed we actually have pretty similar playstyles... That's something I never really feel when watching other Sonics, haha. If anything I noticed you roll way more than I would (not necessarily a bad thing) and use VSDJ a little bit more (although I've been playing with it more recently).
I didn't think VSDJ2 to grab upon landing was a thing.
VSDJ2 can be shield canceled on landing if it's not fully charged yet. Also you can spinshot out of it, so landing and immediately going into spinshot is an option too.
currently I've begun to experiment with trying to do B reversed instant spin dash jumps. as it literally allows you to instantly turn around from a full run faster than performing a spin shot the other way or just turning around.
Why not RAR?

:093:

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
RARs are good when your approaching someone for a bair, but what i'm trying to do is be able to reverse the instant spin jump as i'm retreating to cross up someone who may be trying to chase sonic. And yea i do tend to roll quiet a bit but i try to roll on reaction to attacks rather than simply rolling on impulse. But tbh i was playing quite sloppy overall compared to how i played in the previous tourney where i placed 2nd (so upset i didn't save the matches). There isn't another tourney for awhile in my region that i know of so luckily i'll have plenty of time to practice and sharpen up my movements.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)

Really cool set, grand-grand finals after bracket reset. Intense stuff! Think there's 1 or two matches left to be uploaded from that set.

Last edited:

xShadoFiendx

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAaZ19FrObM

Here's a tournament match vs a Villager and a Ness. Day 1 Sonic, so help me out if you can. Haven't played the game much so im winging it. Also is Ness' Fair different, or am I so out of practice from Brawl that I'm miss counting the timing to punish it? I'm noticing whenever villager does that dumb missile move, Sonic can literally IB and F smash him unless he backs off. This game is weird but I'll practice it.

-Also I'm back. Nice to see you all again lulul. Forgot my old password.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Final match in a grand-grand-finals set is uploaded! FYI These were the official r/smashbros reddit Wii U Release tournament, with 100 or so entrants. A REALLY big tournament. Feel free to check out the rest of the matches I've uploaded from that tournament.

Was super exciting to watch and commentate, thanks for the support. I hope to host and commentate many many more tournaments and events. :)

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
When I wake up tomorrow, I'll update the thread. Along with some random Wi-Fi friendlies of my own, just to have something tossed up. My laptop is too poop to record in 1080p smoothly lol, but it's nice to have an option that isn't holding a camera pointed at my tv for 5 minutes at a time.

Again, so people know proper format :l

5 am Wi-Fi friendlies EC to WC. Learning the fox matchup as the games progressed.

vs. ??? :4fox:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMpbeveTTVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Npekm1A5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-kfD0CMOLM

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
When I wake up tomorrow, I'll update the thread. Along with some random Wi-Fi friendlies of my own, just to have something tossed up. My laptop is too poop to record in 1080p smoothly lol, but it's nice to have an option that isn't holding a camera pointed at my tv for 5 minutes at a time.

5 am Wi-Fi friendlies EC to WC. Learning the fox matchup as the games progressed.

Good matches. though I'm not really sure what was up with the self-destruction at 3:21 of the third video.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Good stuff, but I'll just say that spiking Fox during Illusion is easier than it sounds.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

At first you did not know how to handle Fox, but once you capitalized on that edgeguard for the stage spike you totally stole the momentum, lol. Good use of pivot Ftilt (and just Ftilt in general)... But you do that thing that I do where we pummel too much and not throw. I'm almost positive people break out of grabs more easily in this game.

I really liked that spin to spin turnaround > Utilt round 2. Nice.

I don't know that much about Fox in this game but like... Are his moves that stupid? Like, being stuck in Utilt and jabs to Usmash? Can you not SDI/Vector/Whatever away more properly?

Also lulz at the round 2 finisher. I do that still too... Still works.

I would've liked to see more spring edgeguards though.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
At first you did not know how to handle Fox, but once you capitalized on that edgeguard for the stage spike you totally stole the momentum, lol. Good use of pivot Ftilt (and just Ftilt in general)... But you do that thing that I do where we pummel too much and not throw. I'm almost positive people break out of grabs more easily in this game.

I really liked that spin to spin turnaround > Utilt round 2. Nice.

I don't know that much about Fox in this game but like... Are his moves that stupid? Like, being stuck in Utilt and jabs to Usmash? Can you not SDI/Vector/Whatever away more properly?

Also lulz at the round 2 finisher. I do that still too... Still works.

I would've liked to see more spring edgeguards though.

Yeah these were played at some ungodly late hour on an ec-wc connection, so must of this was auto pilot mode. I had no idea how to play against Fox to start off and I still don't know about those jab setups. I know utilt juggle is real at really low percents, but after that, we should be able to spring out. I was trying different things to get out of the jabs that normally ended up being the reason i was ko'd from it. I want to say the best option is di down and away and try to shield. I was trying to di up and up/away, but it wasn't getting out before usmash. I tried to di down and away and for some reason inputted a dair in one match which got me killed, so i clearly could've shielded there and lived. Fox's jab is super fast. In the second match i'm just standing there holding jab and he spot dodges and then jabs between my jabs. It's silly. I tend to not spring gimp a lot, because most stages are curved and it lets characters just hug the stage at an angle all the way up. I have to make more of an effort to do it when not on one of those stages though. I also need to pummel less. His pummel isn't nearly as godlike in this game. It's good, but not worth losing a grab over. Though his throws don't do all that much damage and don't lead to much unless they don't tech dthrow properly, so it's not the biggest issue. Still, it's always better to throw them and have stage advantage. Again though, it was super late and I did a lot of dumb things. Especially dash attacks when trying to just ftilt. I mean, it took me until last stock of the last match for me to realize he was just trying to side b to ledge as fast as he could every time.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
My instinct is to DI up and away, but I should look into that.

Agreed about pummel... It's a decent trade off but it's just I have bad habits now.

Also if my set on stream gets uploaded I'll post it here. Right now it's just catalogued on Twitch.

EDIT: Updated with the YouTube link:

:4sonic: vs. Red-X :4myfriends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLLjvw8CqiU

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I played on a stream yesterday using Sonic with a decent Villager. Originally I used Greninja, but switched to The Blue Blur after lacking comfort with the matchup (and a grasp with Greninja too). I made a HUGE comeback from that loss and there was a real hype moment in the first match that made the crowd go a little wild.

http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/598881612

Skip to 4.23.48 for the action, any critique is most appreciated. I probably should've used Sonic for the rest of the tournament, might have done at least slightly better if I did....

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Old stuff from Road to TGC 2 in December:

Espy:4sonic: vs. Fliphop:4diddy:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbk67OMosl8
Espy:4sonic: vs. GrimTurtle:4falcon:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilWZAPHyZWE

And some doubles:

Espy/Megafox:4sonic::4fox: vs. Swaka/RunCT:4peach::4fox:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgxm22bR5g
Espy/Megafox:4sonic::4fox: :4littlemac::4littlemac:vs. Xyro/Zro:4samus::4mario:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82kkn08BS9c
Espy/Megafox:4sonic::4fox: vs. iGGy/Aerolink:rosalina::4palutena: Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44IAaTvQkx8
Espy/Megafox:4sonic::4fox: vs. iGGy/Aerolink:rosalina::4palutena: Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-5FGcxSow8

:applejack:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Commentator said it's hard to punish Sonic's landing options...

lol

I think my favorite kill of yours was the offstage spinshot > bair, but then again I always love spinshot > bair. Double bthrow on Smashville was pretty hilarious though.

Interesting to see how often you use spindash > nair. Also pretty entertaining how effective spamming spindash against Diddy's landing options were towards the end of round 2... That's some For Glory stuff right there.

Also, the grab release pretty effectively put Diddy in range for a follow-up. I wonder what the distance is for other characters...

That last Diddy kill though what the **** Diddy what the **** was that

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
spin dash nair is a guaranteed 20+%. I've managed to net a clean 28% off one spin dash > spin dash jump > nair. though overusing it does diminish nair's KO usage.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
28% guaranteed off of SideB two hit > nair. It's the highest damage tool we have outside the ASC sideB off platforms that do 11% per hit.

Uthrow > nair is our highest damage early setup from grab too. :applejack:

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I still need to test it out more against opponents that recover low (I always seem to forget and go for the Spring gimp instead..), but I wouldn't call a somewhat easy 11% (potentially ~21%) useless.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's useless because it's situational as hell, and doesn't follow up proper on smaller characters. IE, most of the good ones. :applejack:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
If anything, I think it's still possible to footstool after it anyway, forcing a specific recovery path that you can then exploit.

But, then again, I still haven't experimented with it enough to say if it's viable or not.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
My streamed match just its way to YouTube, btw, for your viewing pleasure.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Pretty good and entertaining match.
Thanks, I was just happy to have won the grudge match after he had sent me to losers as soon as I started.

I played a little too inconsistent but I felt I made the reads when it mattered most (that bair). Starting to make that transition from Brawl to Sm4sh.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Your reads and your accuracy were on point, I just watched that one set. Hard to gauge when it was just two matches, but you seemed more comfortable and as a result played better when you had the lead. Obviously when your down % you've got to go more agressive, which isn't optimal Sonic. But your campy Sonic was

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I will say though at times you reacted a bit slow to greninja. Usually i play a hard rush down vs greninja and falcon just to make sure they can't get anything started. But you did make some really solid reads.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Your reads and your accuracy were on point, I just watched that one set. Hard to gauge when it was just two matches, but you seemed more comfortable and as a result played better when you had the lead. Obviously when your down % you've got to go more agressive, which isn't optimal Sonic.
Definitely agree. I was feelin' pretty good because once I got that initial bair kill, I knew I was in it. From there I just played very carefully and just won my battles slowly, which ultimately lead to me not losing a single stock that round.
But your campy Sonic was

Was what? I must know... The suspense is killing me...
I will say though at times you reacted a bit slow to greninja. Usually i play a hard rush down vs greninja and falcon just to make sure they can't get anything started. But you did make some really solid reads.
Thanks, and that's due to me having little Greninja practice. The first time he played me I only took one round off him. I was really caught off guard by how quick his moves were and how easily they string together. I was probably being a little too cautious. Then the switch to Falcon, who I hadn't played against all day, just threw me off slightly since it's another high speed character that works very differently, so I needed to adjust again. Wasn't expecting that counterpick.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Was just

S'all I meant. Speaks for itself. And it's interesting how you go agressive against Falcon KC, I find his defensive options dece and his approaches...completely garbz. Think I need to watch more Sonic-Falcon vids but I seem to do just fine either retreating or well...stationary.

:054:

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
The thing is vs Falcon is basically a giant game of cat and mouse, we chance each other back and forth until one get the other off stage and then asserts proper stage control with either bair/uair for falcon or bair and fair for sonic as either attempts to recover. At least that's usually what happens when i face falcons anyway. We both have tools to stuff each other at neutral, though due to falcons jab he wins in most cases unless he play hard footsies and bait out a tilt from him. Falcon kick gets punished easily with a shield grab same with raptor boost. And out spin attacks can really limit falcons space to gain momentum on the ground where he usually needs it in order to get any grab setups. Though it's hard to really explain how i play sonic, most of the time i just let my matches speak for how i play, though i dont have any replays vs falcons to show yet :/

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Thread updated. As long as a link to the video was given, I added it. If you're posting twitch links or embedding videos, your stuff was not added. I don't think it's much to ask for a proper link to the videos. At the moment, I'm not watching any videos, so I'm not scouring through matches to find out the details for the main post.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Thread updated. As long as a link to the video was given, I added it. If you're posting twitch links or embedding videos, your stuff was not added. I don't think it's much to ask for a proper link to the videos. At the moment, I'm not watching any videos, so I'm not scouring through matches to find out the details for the main post.
My matches luckily ended up making it to YouTube and I updated my posts appropriately in time for you, but if people make the twitch link a timecode on the archived file, it should be allowed. That's what I was doing before they were uploaded.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
My matches luckily ended up making it to YouTube and I updated my posts appropriately in time for you, but if people make the twitch link a timecode on the archived file, it should be allowed. That's what I was doing before they were uploaded.

Oh for sure. If they give me a proper link that starts at the correct time, that's fine.

Top Bottom