• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Collection Room: Sonic Video Archive & Critique

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Still processing, I guess (not that the image quality would benefit a whole lot from it, though).

Last edited:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Nice video Orochi, liked the music. Lots of ballsy gimps I don't attempt too, though there's no better feeling than footstooling or spring stage spiking someone. Don't dare to dair much, but that one out of Illusion was awesome.
Also lol at the end. I love trying to teach people online, I usually go for the ASC => footstool=> wait for them to insta get up attack, rinse and repeat. On the rare occasion you run into a Sonic on FG too I try and show them everything Sonic can do and give them a few matches to see if they incorporate anything or even notice. Three games later, they're still only using SC and DA and nothing but, and trying to fsmash me as soon as I hit like 50% lol.

Also Flash, don't dair onto the stage from a height that doesn't cancel out the lag unless you're sure you're going to hit. Also when you're recovering with spring, if you do it from the right height below the stage Sonic will snap straight to the ledge, and not poke his head above and get hit like what kept happening. Finally, when your spins were shielded you had a habit of retreating towards Shiek with your back turned presumably trying to land a bair. You're safer landing further away so you're less likely to get punished upon landing. Other than those bits, just have a look at the gameplay threads here and get to know how spins work and what you can do with them. Also hi.

:093:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I don't necessarily think anything is wrong with an early fsmash (or any smash) as long as it's a good read or used as bait. It does good damage and puts opponents at an off stage disadvantage. Albeit it should be used sparingly. Just saying.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, I'm super down with early Fsmash reads because it's not going to be stale by the time you use it towards the end of the stock.

Also, fun stuff Sonic Orochi. I can't to see Wii U quality replays...

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
These are vids I have from stream from Sunday's tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShAlnQ7AX4 Vs. Rosalina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MWvAogCI8Q&index=1&list=UUwdVytA5FmjUEUBbc28h9QA Winner's Finals vs. Bowser Jr. (Iggy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqg8srH0zhk Grand Finals vs Megaman/Link

Was a bit sloppy on that Megaman match, could have used some spinshotting there and different approaches (could have sworn I was pressing the shield button on my side b's lol.) Also was pretty nervous alot since it was my first time on stream but I'm getting better at that.

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Nice matches, BT. I'd totally use more Bair stage spiking and even Dair spiking against Bowjer (I actually mistyped that, but I'm gonna leave it that way) and Mega Man, though.

Gonna use your vids for some feedback that all Sonics should be aware of (momentum cancelling the Spring)..

7:08 dat accidental SDJ with B button
7:23 was that a Nair? How? I just noticed in the Bowjer vid that the floor acts like a weird platform in that part of the stage.
8:07 The only good move for momentum cancelling now would be a Bair, but then you'd have to had reversed the Spring. Yeah, RIP momentum cancelling.

0:00 - addendum to the tip: "... and after you hit the ground, you won't be able to midair jump no matter what!"
3:25 - momentum cancelling with Fair.. that dtilt totally saved you there :)
5:12 - was that a whiffed Spinshot? If so that's why you weren't able to double jump out of that SD. Otherwise BSBS is even worse in the Wii U, making you lose the second jump even if you get hit during an aerial spin.
6:10 - ouch, that's when you'd momentum cancel with air dodge and hope for the best. Or maybe try to go for a Spring->auto snapping the ledge.
9:26 - lol looked like the Bair was reversed (?)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I've quit before just due to bad lag. **** that, I'm not about to play that game.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Nah if its bad lag I usually just take the loss and go find someone else, if I truly am in a hurry to go somewhere ill take the ban and leave, since by the time I get back to playing the ban will have lifted.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Nah if its bad lag I usually just take the loss and go find someone else, if I truly am in a hurry to go somewhere ill take the ban and leave, since by the time I get back to playing the ban will have lifted.
Unless you leave your console on while you're gone (and let it Auto Power down), I don't think that's technically true, 'cause I thought the same thing originally. From my experience, the ban time will only lift as long as the game is turned on and will still linger until you turn it back on.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
"If you dont know that Sonic Adventure 2 song when you are snowboarding down the mountain we cant be friends."

It would help if you could give a accurate description, did you mean Ice Cap or Escape from the City? Seriously ;-;

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I've been super busy as of late, buuuuuuut *cracks knuckles* lets do some updating.

Edit: Now that the Wii U version is out, please mention in your post whether the videos are Wii U or 3DS as well, so I don't have to go watching every video lol. Also, just a reminder to post what kind of matches they are as well. I'll just assume for glory if you don't specify, unless I notice the other players name. Then I'll toss it into friendlies or some ish.

Double Edit: Pleeeeeeease remember to put your opponents tag in. Specifically for offline tournament sets. I'm not going to hunt down info for who you played.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Sonic vs Ness and Sonic vs Shulk matches in the Grand Finals of a tournament I commentated:

More coming, editing and uploading.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Darn it, my posts got overlooked again :glare:. Looks like I'll have to look elsewhere to get help with the bolded part.

Conda

Been hearing a lot of people say Jigglypuff is a counter to Sonic. a vs match between them:

Not sure what to draw from it, but more tournament matches between them two need to be recorded and uploaded here.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Been hearing a lot of people say Jigglypuff is a counter to Sonic. a vs match between them:

Not sure what to draw from it, but more tournament matches between them two need to be recorded and uploaded here.
Do For Glory matches count too?

Conda

Do For Glory matches count too?
I'd guess they count as much as For Glory videos normally count compared to Tournament videos. This was an online tournament so maybe it's in-between.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Do you mean no one commented on them? Because I added yours the same time as everyone else.
Yeah, was referring to feedback, since I really wanna improve before I attend another tournament next Saturday. Sorry for the post, I just get impatient when my videos are overlooked.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Yeah, was referring to feedback, since I really wanna improve before I attend another tournament next Saturday. Sorry for the post, I just get impatient when my videos are overlooked.
I did, on the last batch. You don't want to take my advice though, or you'll suck as hard as me.

@ Conda Conda considering the Sonic SD'd unprovoked and inexpicably, AND Jiggz jumped into a not-so-well predicted Usmash and got KO'D within the first minute, we aren't taking a lot from these. Where are you hearing that Jiggz is a counter for Sonic? I frequent both boards (though I don't post there) and have seen no mention of the matchup. I'm not trying to come off as an ass I promise, I'm interested and want to hear the discussion, I'm just curious as I play both characters and the matchup from both sides.

This isn't the place for MU postulations though. And I'm not being a *****. Well kinda.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Roy, you're always a *****.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hey guys, thought you might be interested in seeing some of my Sonic. First time my not-Brawl self is on the internet.

Unfortunately, all I have to offer right now are some online stuff, but I got a hold of my buddy's Elgato and I figured I'd test it out on some of my replays.

For the future, I'm thinking about going into Sonic tutorial-esque stuff for you guys if that's something people would like to see.

Camalange (:4sonic:) vs. SuperMarioMC (:4zss:)
http://youtu.be/p8vxA_O5MMU
^ Pretty legit match I had with a friend online. Got some cool **** to happen. I challenged some stuff that I shouldn't against ZSS or got hit by things I shouldn't, but all-in-all a close match and gg nair.

Camalange (:4sonic:) vs. raam (:4link:)
http://youtu.be/7o96nwDl6lc
^ The other player wasn't so impressive, but sure made me look cool. Thought this would be a good way to show off tech-chase capabilities with Sonic (there's one in particular toward the end where I was really feelin' it).
Camalange (:4sonic:) vs. Wil (:4drmario:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jymiX_8zZCU
^ Kinda lame and laggy, but the last kill is pretty interesting. He airdodges the uair and I can nair in time for a KO. Noticing a pattern with nair? Godlike. Frametrap? Maybe!

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Darn it, my posts got overlooked again :glare:. Looks like I'll have to look elsewhere to get help with the bolded part.
Didn't watch the whole clips (sorry, the quality and, specially, lack of audio don't do much to retain attention), but I noticed that you stand still a little too much.

Don't just stand around! You're Sonic, you can run, dash, spin and roll around at the speed of sound. Don't give them breathing room to think: get in their faces, hit and run, then fake some approaches, etc. Make them mess up so you can capitalize on their mistakes.

@ Camalange Camalange nice vids. I gotta use more reverse Springs to dair when edgeguarding.. I'm used to only fastfall and it's so much slower.

Sonic vs Ness

0:20 - that sliding up tilt. I'm guessing that's due to the terrain but it's still quite neat lol

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
@ Camalange Camalange nice vids. I gotta use more reverse Springs to dair when edgeguarding.. I'm used to only fastfall and it's so much slower.
Thanks!

Def, even if it doesn't hit, it's just a safe option because they're forced to respect and recognize it and you're nowhere near them. I try to get a good jump or spinshot past the ledge before doing reverse spring, in hopes that I get to the autocancel height with dair.

I was rewatching some of my old Brawl vids and wow I saw myself shield cancel aerial spin charge and autocancel dair and SHFF Bair and my heart skipped a beat.

You don't know what you got 'til it's gone.
0:20 - that sliding up tilt. I'm guessing that's due to the terrain but it's still quite neat lol
Yes, notice the spindash right before hand? For sure a slope canceled spindash into utilt, giving him a slide.

From my recollection though I thought it only worked on more dramatic slopes like Green Hill and Corneria. Might be possible to do on more stages now? Worth investigating on legal neutral and counterpick stages.

For those who don't remember or are new to Sonic's meta...

Sonic can do what's called a Slope Canceled Spin Dash, as briefly covered in my FAQ and probably mentioned somewhere in Orochi's guide as well.

Basically, if Sonic spins across a wonky enough slope (ex. Corneria ramp, Green Hill shuttle loop) you can input jump which will reset Sonic to a neutral state while still retaining his spindash momentum, allowing any move to be done out of it. Tilts are usually the most preferred, as they carry the momentum better.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
have some matches of doubles and singles from the tournament i went to last saturday. Though the recorded footage was from the stream itself so sorry about the commentary.

Also sorry that these videos weren't uploaded by match but i've time stamped all of them.

Doubles:
goes all the way up to our Winners Finals match which ends at a 1:06:30.
set 1 Craftis :4sonic:+ Burst:4megaman: vs Ntarps :4gaw:/:4bowser: + Somacruz :4megaman:/:4diddy:
set 2 Craftis:4sonic: + Burst:4megaman: vs Mikeray:4diddy:/:4dk: + Pelca :4diddy:/:4falco:
set 3 Craftis :4sonic: + Burst:4megaman: vs Fatal :4rob: + Ice arrow :4diddy:/:4wiifit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dG5aIe_X8c&list=UUHa8dRlgnPEU-qHlNQoFzsg#t=11m30s

Doubles grand finals:
Craftis :4sonic: + Burst :4megaman: vs Mikeray :4diddy:/:4dk: + Pelca :4diddy:/:4littlemac:/:4falco:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQgtLfzWrQ&list=UUHa8dRlgnPEU-qHlNQoFzsg#t=5m30s

Singles:
Only one of my sets was recorded on stream in that video
Craftis :4sonic: vs Mikeray :4diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSjDJwif6SQ&list=UUHa8dRlgnPEU-qHlNQoFzsg#7m16s

Winners Finals
Craftis :4sonic: vs DJ Delta :4luigi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz-jRC8HTWY&list=UUHa8dRlgnPEU-qHlNQoFzsg#8m10s

Grand Finals
Craftis :4sonic: vs DJ Delta :4luigi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz-jRC8HTWY&list=UUHa8dRlgnPEU-qHlNQoFzsg#35m30s

Theres also 4v4 matches that were recorded but nothing really serious happen so i don't see the point in me posting those.

Overall i feel i did Good managing to win the tournament, but as far as execution goes i did eh, there were a lot of things i messed up on or missed opportunities.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't know why but those timestamps aren't working for me.
Regardless I'll be sure to give a watch later, and congrats again!

Conda

Sonic vs Ness, first game in a Grand Grand Finals.

+ Game 2

Yeah definitely neat.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah definitely neat.
Yes, notice the spindash right before hand? For sure a slope canceled spindash into utilt, giving him a slide.

From my recollection though I thought it only worked on more dramatic slopes like Green Hill and Corneria. Might be possible to do on more stages now? Worth investigating on legal neutral and counterpick stages.

For those who don't remember or are new to Sonic's meta...

Sonic can do what's called a Slope Canceled Spin Dash, as briefly covered in my FAQ and probably mentioned somewhere in Orochi's guide as well.

Basically, if Sonic spins across a wonky enough slope (ex. Corneria ramp, Green Hill shuttle loop) you can input jump which will reset Sonic to a neutral state while still retaining his spindash momentum, allowing any move to be done out of it. Tilts are usually the most preferred, as they carry the momentum better.

Just so we all know why it's neat.

The Flash

Smash Rookie
Nice video Orochi, liked the music. Lots of ballsy gimps I don't attempt too, though there's no better feeling than footstooling or spring stage spiking someone. Don't dare to dair much, but that one out of Illusion was awesome.
Also lol at the end. I love trying to teach people online, I usually go for the ASC => footstool=> wait for them to insta get up attack, rinse and repeat. On the rare occasion you run into a Sonic on FG too I try and show them everything Sonic can do and give them a few matches to see if they incorporate anything or even notice. Three games later, they're still only using SC and DA and nothing but, and trying to fsmash me as soon as I hit like 50% lol.

Also Flash, don't dair onto the stage from a height that doesn't cancel out the lag unless you're sure you're going to hit. Also when you're recovering with spring, if you do it from the right height below the stage Sonic will snap straight to the ledge, and not poke his head above and get hit like what kept happening. Finally, when your spins were shielded you had a habit of retreating towards Shiek with your back turned presumably trying to land a bair. You're safer landing further away so you're less likely to get punished upon landing. Other than those bits, just have a look at the gameplay threads here and get to know how spins work and what you can do with them. Also hi.

Awesome! I didn't think of that before! Yeah, I have a bad habit of always being on the offense and I hate to retreat because... Well, I don't know if its just me, but when you got speed, pressure in addition to that is overwhelming to people!!! I got to learn to play more safe and smart. I've got to stop running in blind. Thanks for the tips though! This is really gonna improve my gameplay! I can't wait for my REMATCH.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Huh. I watched KC's match Vs. the Diddy.

I didn't think VSDJ2 to grab upon landing was a thing.

I think I'm going to steal that and see if I can apply that in some manner.

... Because it's the closest thing we have to ASCSC which I miss dearly. ;_;

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
currently I've begun to experiment with trying to do B reversed instant spin dash jumps. as it literally allows you to instantly turn around from a full run faster than performing a spin shot the other way or just turning around. As well as practicing dtilt to jab lock setups on some of the more smaller characters in the cast such as diddy.

Top Bottom