• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud's Palette Swaps (Alternate Costumes)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
In Cloud's trailer, we saw Cloud with his regular FFVII outfit as well as his Advent Children attire. I doubt we'll get anymore alts that are as different as these, but if we did what costumes would you like to see? Or more realistically, what colors would you like for Cloud to have?

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Crossdressing Cloud alt would be the greatest thing to ever exist. But that probably won't happen, so I hope there's at least a color that alludes to it.

Kulty

Smash Ace
The black suit for Cloud (don't know the name of the suit. Never played FFXII before) is REALLY AWESOME! Makes me think of Kirito's black suit from Sword Art Online anime series. I LOVE IT! I'm probably gonna use this one a lot once I buy him.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
We can probably expect colors based on other characters in VII, or even the VII Compilation and series as a whole. I also think KH Cloud would be a great costume.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
My friend told me that Cloud looks like a blonde haired Zack...so why not Zack's color palette as an option?

GuardianZen

Smash Rookie
NNID
GuardianZen
3DS FC
2921-9103-1383
Crossdressing Cloud would instantly become my new main.

I don't think we're going to get anything else, though. We'll probably get reskins similar to Shulk where the color palettes are based off your party member's color schemes.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Really hoping he gets a black haired alt to reference Zack.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
He needs any recolor that reference Zack, a recolor that reference Sephiroth maybe?, a recolor that references the fighter's color scheme from the original Final Fantasy would be a very adorable homage to the franchise in general.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
I'm pretty sure he'll have some sort of Sephiroth color scheme not only as a reference, but to match the other "black outfit with white hair" theme other characters have (if not then Sephiroth confirmed for next DLC :yeahboi:)

Another alt color I'm hoping for would be based on his outfit from Final Fantasy Tactics. Unfortunately there's no official artwork of it, but it's based off of his FFVII outfit anyway. Compared to that, his FFT alt has a lighter color shoulder pauldron, reddish brown top with white and red gloves. His pants are a slighty lighter blue and his boots are a brownish orange.

Wow I'm bad at describing colors.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Zack and Sephiroth colours seem very possible. I'd also like to see ones based on Aeris, Tifa, Red XIII and Vincent at least.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The trailer specifically said Smash Bros. X Final Fantasy VII, so maybe they'll take inspiration from that game and its film Advent Children.

I'm thinking Tifa, Aerith, and Sephiroth alts are almost a given. Maybe a Cid alt too, just to keep the running gag going. Maybe a Chocobo-inspired yellow alt?

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
image.jpeg
I see it has already been mentioned, but this. All I want is at least a color palette referencing this, maybe with the bandaged Buster Sword too if we're extra lucky. It would be some form of Kingdom Hearts representation.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
id imagine like shulk he'll have sevral swaps based off his fellow party members

or perhaps other FF protagonists

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I expect his FFVII outfit to get a color based off of the Amano-designed outfit (the same one that he had as an alternate costume in Dissidia), but beyond that I don't really know what they could use for either costume beyond generic recolors, his fellow party members or the classic FF classes. However, I would LOVE a color based on the Mario Hoops/Mario Sports Mix White Mage, complete with pink hair.

Spatman

Smash Ace
advent children dress with the red colour of Auron's dress would be awesome!

Snokros

Smash Cadet
if they have crossdressing cloud they will get all of my money. ALL OF IT.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
My Color Theories
1: Default SOLDIER outfit
2: A Saturated Purple, like in the original game
3: Aerith-inspired Red and Pink
4: Tifa-inspired White shirt, Black pants, and Red Gloves
5: Default Advent Children outfit
6: Vincent-inspired Red and Black
7: Cid-inspired Blue
8: Barret or Yuffie-inspired Green

IF there is a Sephiroth-inspired palette, It would replace the Tifa palette as one of the SOLDIER alts.

EDIT
Thinking about it, there is probably a good chance that they'll go the Little Mac route and give him 16 pallets, if that the case:

1: Default SOLDIER outfit
2: A Saturated Purple, like in the original game
3: Aerith-inspired Red and Pink
4: Tifa-inspired White shirt, Black pants, and Red Gloves
5: Barret-inspired Green and Brown
6: Sephiroth-Inspired Black
7: Chocobo-inspired Yellow
8: Cait Sith-inspired White/Light Pink
9: Default Advent Children outfit
10: Vincent-inspired Red and Black
11: Cid-inspired Blue
12: Yuffie-inspired Green and White
13: Sephiroth-Inspired Black
14: Rufus Shinra-inspired Pure White
15: ?
16: ?

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'd like this as an alt for Cloud. Simple and clean.

Edit: Forgot about his Warrior of Chaos default outfit in Dissidia 012 which is based on Yo****aka Amano's art.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: Really, Smashboards? I can't spell a Japanese name without part of it being considered the S-word?

Last edited:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of worried about some of my choices due to the trailer specifying "Super Smash Bros. x Final Fantasy VII", but I'll be optimistic:

My hopes for Cloud's outfits, in order of preference and with the mindset that only 8 costumes would be selected (kudos to Dissidia Final Fantasy for doing a good job with some of these ideas):

1 - SOLDIER uniform (Classic outfit): Cloud's outfit from Final Fantasy 7. Already a given, though. :laugh:
2 - Cloudy Wolf: Cloud's outfit from the movie Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children, with the name specified by Dissidia Final Fantasy. Already a given, though, too! I'm really glad that the Buster Sword got its model modified into the "combined Fusion Sword(s)" (although I didn't even know there was a difference at first; I thought the movie sword was the same thing as the Buster Sword all this time XD) I'm really glad that this costume was utilized for Super Smash Bros. 4, despite originating from a videogame-based movie.
3 - Steady Light: Cloud's outfit from Final Fantasy 7 concept artwork by Yo****aka Amano, with the name specified by Dissidia Final Fantasy. A nice "semi-obscure artwork" reference, also featured in Dissidia Final Fantasy. I would also prefer that this outfit has the Buster Sword changed to the "Ultima Weapon" (how many "Ultima" sword/blade/weapon weaponry things are there in the Final Fantasy series..?), wielded for Cloud's EX Mode in Dissidia Final Fantasy (which was also wieldable in the Steady Light outfit), mainly so that famed sword can get some sort of reference in Super Smash Bros...
4 - "Kingdom Hearts gear" (this outfit really needs a better/cooler name; and the "Final Fantasy Wikia"'s wording is a bit confusing in terms of which specific Kingdom Hearts game supplies the origin): Cloud's outfit from Kingdom Hearts 2, apparently made to be reminiscent of Final Fantasy character Vincent Valentine; the name is specified by Dissidia Final Fantasy. Personally, I don't really get the point of this outfit since they could have just brought Vincent Valentine himself and Cloud's SOLDIER outfit is iconic in its own right, but whatever.. >_> Since it does exist and Dissidia Final Fantasy embraced it specifically as an alternate costume, one might as well use it in Super Smash Bros. 4 for "OMG REFERENCE!" purposes...
5 - "Lightning/Éclair Farron" outfit: As Lightning was initially designed as a sort of "female Cloud Strife", a Cloud outfit that takes on Lightning's default costume would be nice. (Not to mention that she is gorgeous :love:, and I figure that as (-in)famous as it is, the Final Fantasy 13 sub-series needs some representation in SSB if Lightning does not make it as a playable fighter/character at some point.
6 - "Final Fantasy: Tactics" outfit: An outfit based on Cloud's sprite from Final Fantasy Tactics (mentioned by Blue Mage Blue Mage ), which has a few distinctive color changes. This would really depict the SSB development team "doing their homework," so to speak (at least in my opinion).
7 - Shinra Infantry Uniform outfit: Since this outfit was apparently used in-game for Cloud and was apparently used as an actual alternate costume for Cloud in the Ehrgeiz fighting game, it seems fitting.
8 - Red outfit from Ehrgeiz: Mentioned by Fenriraga Fenriraga . Since this outfit was apparently used as an actual alternate costume in a fighting game for Cloud, it, too, seems fitting.

--

9 - "Final Fantasy 1 Warrior/Fighter" outfit: Mentioned by LunarWingCloud LunarWingCloud . I feel that this would be a great way to pay homage to the original Final Fantasy 1 game that started it all for the Final Fantasy series.. And at least Cloud could be envisioned in such a sword-based-fighter costume.. In my opinion, either the reddish overworld sprite from "Final Fantasy 1 & 2: Dawn of Souls" (and/or the PlayStation Portable remake that's based on that version) or the default blue outfit for Warrior of Light from Dissidia Final Fantasy would work.
10? - "Cross-dressing Cloud" outfit: I couldn't be bothered to quickly seek out an image for this at the moment, but for some reason, it seems appealing. Similar to my thoughts about Shirtless Shulk, even though I may never actually use this costume, I still feel like it merits inclusion in the game. XD And if Link can equip the "Zelda Dress" outfit/costume/suit in The Legend of Zelda: Tri-Force Heroes, surely Super Smash Bros. would be accommodating of a similar implementation for Cloud (given that its material seems more "mature" at times)?
11 - "Zack Fair" outfit: Wow, this Zack person literally looks like a dark-haired Cloud... >_> Well, since Cloud and Zack were apparently designed somewhat as counterparts, I suppose that this fits.. It kinda bugs me that their uniforms are very similar, though (although I guess that's the point if they joined the same faction).
12 - Manikin: Imaginary Soldier: Cloud's "imitation" crystalline palette swap from the Dissidia Final Fantasy series (the specific name from Dissidia is "Imaginary Soldier"). I don't really know what Manikins are, although they seem to be Dissidia-originating foes based off of the main heroes/characters. And crystals are cool and the outfit is distinctive, so why not? (Even more reason for the Final Fantasy Universe emblem to be a crystal!)

"Steady Light" (on left)
"Kingdom Hearts gear" (on right)
"Cloudy Wolf" (in the middle)
(All from Dissidia Final Fantasy)

"Manikin: Imaginary Solider" (from Dissidia Final Fantasy)

"Shinra Infantry Uniform" (from Final Fantasy 7 (?)):

"Zack Fair" image (originates from Final Fantasy 7)

"Éclair Farron/Lightning" image (from Final Fantasy 13):

"Cross-dressing" Cloud (from Final Fantasy 7):

"Final Fantasy 1 Warrior homage" outfits:
-Red: "Fighter/Warrior" outfit from "Final Fantasy 1: 20th Anniversary Edition" (the PSP-remake version)
-Blue: "Warrior of Light" default outfit from Dissidia Final Fantasy.

...Originally I was going to say "do whatever you want, development team, as long as it looks coool" since the 2 outfits that I remembered and needed the most already made it in the game of Super Smash Bros. 4 (namely, Classic and Cloudy Wolf), but upon further research, Cloud actually does seem to have a boatload of options for alternate costumes.. Ugh, times like these are when I wish we had 10+ alternate costume slots.. :cry:

He needs any recolor that reference Zack, a recolor that reference Sephiroth maybe?, a recolor that references the fighter's color scheme from the original Final Fantasy would be a very adorable homage to the franchise in general.
A Final Fantasy 1 Fighter/Warrior outfit would indeed be adorable.. :3

I'm pretty sure he'll have some sort of Sephiroth color scheme not only as a reference, but to match the other "black outfit with white hair" theme other characters have (if not then Sephiroth confirmed for next DLC :yeahboi:)

Another alt color I'm hoping for would be based on his outfit from Final Fantasy Tactics. Unfortunately there's no official artwork of it, but it's based off of his FFVII outfit anyway. Compared to that, his FFT alt has a lighter color shoulder pauldron, reddish brown top with white and red gloves. His pants are a slighty lighter blue and his boots are a brownish orange.

Wow I'm bad at describing colors.

Very nice find; it looks distinctive enough!
You mean that there is no official concept artwork..? I found a little sprite, but man, is it tiny! Is this going to be an alternate costume made for ants? :chuckle:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File:FFT_Cloud_Sprite.png

EDIT: LOL; apparently mentioning Final Fantasy artist Y. Amano's first name triggers the swear filter..? Oy..

EDIT 2: Also, it is strange that Cloud got an alternate costume with a modified sword, yet Link's Fierce Deity costume can't get a modified Fierce Deity Sword/Double Helix Sword.. :(

Last edited:

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
So, i photoshoped Cloud's Render for make him look like a NES FF1 Warrior, and actually looks kind of cool

Last edited:

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
In my dreams Zack would get to be a full blown Koopaling-like swap with a different voice rather than just a recolor. Seems like too much effort to be realistic though.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
So, i photoshoped Cloud's Render for make him look like a NES FF1 Warrior, and actually looks kind of cool

nice

where did you get the high res pic from? can you please link me the original?

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
Give him a Kefka color palette including the face paint with a rainbow sword :awesome:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
What I'd love is the Kingdom Hearts version, although I, too, think it will stay with the 2 versions shown.

As for pallet swaps, I personally would like if they only changed hair colour to black, white/silver, maybe a red. Although changing hair to black and attire to red for Auron also would be awesome...

And the Spehiroth colourscheme is pretty much a given. There goes one sheme I'll never pick...

(And yes, I don't like Sephiroth, or rather, I don't like base FF VII Sephiroth. In fact, I don't like base FF VII at all; FFVII:Crisis Core is a better game with a better protagonist and a way better impression of Sephiroth imho, and Advent Children rocks. Which is why my Hypelevel at least doubled when they showed he had this costume).

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Shulk in his undies and Cloud crossdressing?

It's like all my Tumblr fantasies come true! :V

But yeah, I have a feeling Cloud will go a Shulk route and have colors based on party members/other important characters. A black-haired Zack color would be beyond amazing.

Last edited:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
What I'd love is the Kingdom Hearts version, although I, too, think it will stay with the 2 versions shown.

As for pallet swaps, I personally would like if they only changed hair colour to black, white/silver, maybe a red. Although changing hair to black and attire to red for Auron also would be awesome...

And the Spehiroth colourscheme is pretty much a given. There goes one sheme I'll never pick...

(And yes, I don't like Sephiroth, or rather, I don't like base FF VII Sephiroth. In fact, I don't like base FF VII at all; FFVII:Crisis Core is a better game with a better protagonist and a way better impression of Sephiroth imho, and Advent Children rocks. Which is why my Hypelevel at least doubled when they showed he had this costume).
You don't like the original Final Fantasy VII?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'd love to see:

00 Default:
01 Red: Aerith
02 Blue: Cid
03 Green: Barret
04 Purple: Zack
05: Black: Advent Children
06: Black+White. Advent Children, Sephiroth Pallette.
07: Shin-Ra Soldier outfit.

But I admit that FF1 Warrior Job looks amazing!

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
You don't like the original Final Fantasy VII but you DO like Advent Children and Crisis Core?

You like Advent Children more than the original story?

Advent Children?

...Is this person real?
Yes, yes I do. And yes it is my honest opinion that Crisis Core is the better game story and characterwise. As for Advent Children, I love the design and animations, the story is kind of forgettable and completely confusing to anyone that hasn't played the games.

Top Bottom