• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

If people would take a moment and look at history, I'd say Cloud deserved a spot in Smash. Back before we had FFVII, we had 32-bit RPGs that had excellent storylines with humorous characters(FFVI or Chrono Trigger), but not all of them were great.

Once the Nintendo 64 broke the ground on 64-bit technology, we got the PS1 as a response to that competition. With it, we got what is STILL perceived as one of the best RPGs ever made: Final Fantasy VII.

Final Fantasy VII turned the view on RPGs up on its head, implementing more modern elements at the time as well as a different look on what RPGs really were. Hell, nobody expected that Gold Saucer would be a Theme Park. Regardless, give Cloud his chance before bashing him(excusing posts above this one).

Last edited:
This thread is all the beauty of dumb internet entitlement in one place.

I've even seen the magical words "slot" "Clone" "anime" between other silly things omg. People truly only care about themselves and never about other people that I dunno, might enjoy what they don't.

Nothing is being given. It's DLC, a product that costs money.
The consumer has the right to share their opinion, don't act like everyone is stupid if they don't agree with you.
You also don't really need to buy it tho, without any obligation to do so... what is there to complain about? Unless you wanna start some discussion about unexistent "slot character limit" like most do even though Sakurai has said countless times that there is no such thing. Also, no one said anyone's stupid and by your logic one person can show any kind of dislike towards your opinion as they want.

Why stop it here? You guys already dug your own graves. I'm not okay in letting some nobody tell me **** on what person in the FF series is iconic or not. Here is an example: Terra is iconic, Cloud is over rated. There is a large difference between the two.
Wether you think he is overrated or not, we are talking about popularity and what people would like. If I put Terra, Cloud and Cecil right next to each other and show it to all my friends (including ones that aren't gamers) chances are the great majority will know who Cloud is WAAAAY before even having a hint about the other two... So yeah.... no.
And before you call me biased, I think FF6 it's a cooler game than FF7 but I just enjoy having common sense.

He looks pretty Ike'ish to the point were nintendo even said: let'S show of how similar his Ultra smash is too Ike's...
They actually did that to show how Ike's Great Aether FS was based off Omnislash... you know, the move that looks exactly like that on a game that came around I dunno... almost 20 years ago back in 1997? I won't blame you for not knowing about that since it was a long time ago but man, don't just spread missinformation if you aren't sure about what you're saying.

Last edited:
I wanted to make my position clearer. Swordsmen like Robin and Link, imo, have interesting movesets because they have access to many tools with various effects (a projectile with a windbox, a grab that heals user, a projectile that's a item..) and moves that aren't just slashing their sword.

On the other hand there's not a lot of variation in Cloud's moves, nearly all of them are sword slashes and thrusts. Why not give him access to meteorain, fire, summons, healing, or even his bike is what I'm saying.

The complaints about too many swordmen are completly valid. Smash is a game where there are a vast library of characters to choose from in the Nintendo universe with fighting styles that are completly unique. Heck their body shape alone would make them unlike anything we've ever played. Having so many characters that are human swordsmen is something perfectly worthy of thumbing your nose at. That and counter; there is way too much counter in smash.

The amount of complaints about Cloud on the other hand...not so much. Personally Cloud is right up there with Snake for me. Does he have any history with Nintendo? Of course not. Do I know anything about him outside of gaming nerd osmosis? Nope. Am I going to play as or fight against him that much in the game? Probably not. But there are fans out there unbelievably happy about his inclusion, and I'm happy for them. I mean I would understand a bit if he was the last character, but he's not. If anything, for those of us who either don't know a thing about Cloud or actually dislike his inclusion, then yesterdays trailer was the announcement that we will know who the Smash ballet winners are very soon, with a trailer for some other character among the 50+ other characters in the game tacked along with it.

Last edited:
This thread is all the beauty of dumb internet entitlement in one place.

I've even seen the magical words "slot" "Clone" "anime" between other silly things omg. People truly only care about themselves and never about other people that I dunno, might enjoy what they don't.

You also don't really need to buy it tho, without any obligation to do so... what is there to complain about? Unless you wanna start some discussion about unexistent "slot character limit" like most do even though Sakurai has said countless times that there is no such thing. Also, no one said anyone's stupid and by your logic one person can show any kind of dislike towards your opinion as they want.

Wether you think he is overrated or not, we are talking about popularity and what people would like. If I put Terra, Cloud and Cecil right next to each other and show it to all my friends (including ones that aren't gamers) chances are the great majority will know who Cloud is WAAAAY before even having a hint about the other two... So yeah.... no.
And before you call me biased, I think FF6 it's a cooler game than FF7 but I just enjoy having common sense.

They actually did that to show how Ike's Great Aether FS was based off Omnislash... you know, the move that looks exactly like that on a game that came around I dunno... almost 20 years ago back in 1997? I won't blame you for not knowing about that since it was a long time ago but man, don't just spread missinformation if you aren't sure about what you're saying.
Thank you for this.

I should probably restate my stance; I don't hate Cloud being in the game at all; in fact, I could care less about it.

It's that all that waiting and I was hoping for something a bit more unique then what I got. He's not a clone, but I've kind of filled my desire for sword combatants already, and what with the army of fangirls he has, it only makes me less interested.

That stage looks badass, though, I gotta admit.

Last edited:
I for one don't care the least bit about FFVII, But even still I'm excited to see a new fighter. And with the Smash Ballot results still under-wraps; we will all soon be getting ANOTHER fight along with Cloud.
This is pretty epic, but it's crazy to think that Smash has almost gone FULL ANIME at this point. I didn't see it coming, but now I'm pretty stoked.

He looks like a spacer lol just LOOK AT THE SIZE OF HIS SWORD. I predict a lot of fair and bair spacing and not to complain, but 80% of his moveset looks very similar to ikes

Edit: I wonder when nintendo will release a legal stage? Im hyped for december for stages and characters but mostly stages :p

Last edited:
You know what? I don't even care. At the end of the day it's just optional content that I'm probably going to buy anyway. I still think FF7 is overrated, that Cloud doesn't deserve to be in the game, and that his move set looks bland (just my opinion). However, I'm not going to sit here and be salty over it. Just going to go ahead and give his fans a pat on the back.

Also, there's nothing wrong disliking something. Some of you guys act like you never get upset about things. If Steve, Master Chief, or Kratos got in then you guys would probably toss your Wii U's out the window, or complain that they shouldn't be in. It's just this magical thing called an opinion and not everyone has the same one.

The excitement for this is making my heart stop.
I wonder if I'm so excited because it wasn't leaked, making it really unexpected for me.
Anyway I sure hope we'll get a crossdressing or female Cloud to go with the Linkle announcement.
ALRIGHT JUST SAYING ! but there better be AMAZING MII COSTUMES not just chocobo hats.... like LEON OR SEPIROTH COSTUMES BE SOOOOOO SICK

Cloud and Sephiroth are sitting in a bustling café enjoying some tea...

Cloud
: so I was sitting at home the other day while looking in the mirror and practicing my a angsty face that, y'know, all my fans love.

Sephiroth: Yeah, you get them good with that.

Cloud: ...when Nintendo calls me out of the blue and asks if I'd like to be in Smash. I had no idea what it was, where it was, or anything about it. I could care less but I knew it meant a serious Gil flow straight into my pockets.

Sephiroth: What!? You know there have been dozens of characters trying to get in! Ever heard of King K. Rool?

Cloud: Nope.

Sephirith: Krystal?

Cloud: lol no.

Sephiroth: Banjo-Kazooie?

Cloud: What's that? Sounds stupid.

Sephiroth: Toad?

Cloud: No and I don't care.

Sephiroth: Well, you got in before all of them...each one a deserving rep for Smash. Hope you're happy.

Cloud:

Last edited:
who entered cloud in the smash ballot?I have no idea who he is i never played final fantasy before so he is a complete random character to me.I guess nintendo just added random characters into smash bros. instead of characters we want.Instead of making the characters we want in smash they make them into a costume for mii players which i find really dumb.They added Lucina into smash instead of making her a mii character but she is a clone of Marth.Instead of making a costume for dark Pit they made him a clone of Pit.GIVE US WHAT WE REALLY WANT NINTENDO JEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just because you didn't hear about this character, doesn't devalue this character chances of being in nor their popularity to their respected fanbase/company. For the most part, this is pretty much promotion to companies and their franchises' biggest gaming characters that's overall represents them and to their future projects. And for sure I heard Sakurai is selecting characters by fan service at this rate, so there's that.

Don't like it or don't know the character? Oh well, but complaining about it is just 1st world problems.

Last edited:
What. Whaaaaaaat.
Has he even been on a Nintendo console? I mean, I know he was in Kingdom Hearts and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, but KH is primarily a Playstation series and TFF is a side game.

Don't get me wrong though; despite my shock, I gotta admit he's probably the most iconic FF character of all time. As much as I'd love to see someone from VI, freakin' everybody knows Cloud.

Now Nintendo, give us a decent version of VII to play :O

Haha I knew there'd be a few FF6 elitists crying in here too. Sorry fellas. I like Terra, but she doesn't hold a candle to Cloud.

People who keep saying that "Cloud isn't on a Nintendo platform" can be seen with this:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/smash-...antasy-7-remake-could-come-nintendo-nx-490139

Although this is speculation, remember that Marth and Roy appeared on Melee before their official game was released. This is applicable to Roy, at least. Also, look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Tactics_Advance

This is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. This is a game released on the GBA. Although Cloud is not featured on this game, the series is. Even Solid Snake is a different character than the ones on the GameCube. If the series is represented, then consider the character represented.

Last edited:

This is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. This is a game released on the GBA. Although Cloud is not featured on this game, the series is. Even Solid Snake is a different character than the ones on the GameCube. If the series is represented, then consider the character represented.
Tactics Advance is a separate but related series from FF; it has its own sequels within the Ivalice world. But you know, I already acknowledged that FF6 was on a Nintendo console and that he's representing the FF series. Heck, 1-6 were released on Nintendo first. I definitely consider the series as representing Nintendo, just that Cloud has always been a Playstation mascot to me.

Haha I knew there'd be a few FF6 elitists crying in here too. Sorry fellas. I like Terra, but she doesn't hold a candle to Cloud.
Hey, I could've said like, Mog over Terra! He was in the commercial after all :laugh:

Last edited:

Are you kidding me? Another anime swordsman, AND with a super uninspired moveset to boot to the point of recycling Ike's final smash wholesale? Couldn't they give him a more unique moveset??
im just going to point this out, but ike was made in 2004, Cloud was made in 1997. Cloud's Omnislash came first, not ikes great ether. so actually, ike ripped off clouds move.

.... Nintendo why you do this?

I just want Isaac! Although I do love Final Fantasy 7, but I still want our Golden psynergy user in Smash.

Luckily Cloud doesn't use any of his magic, so I guess Isaac could shake things up with psynergy.

Still Isaac for Smash! Hopefully the Smash broadcast fully reveals Smash ballot results.

And congratulations to whoever wanted Cloud to appear in Smash! :)
You could always wait for Project M to release him. I believe he was in the concept/animation phase somewhere around last year.

People who keep saying that "Cloud isn't on a Nintendo platform" can be seen with this:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/smash-...antasy-7-remake-could-come-nintendo-nx-490139

Although this is speculation, remember that Marth and Roy appeared on Melee before their official game was released. This is applicable to Roy, at least. Also, look at this:

Fire Emblem has been on Nintendo systems since the first game on the NES. Just because the series wasn't released in America until after Melee doesn't mean that it's never been on Nintendo platforms you moron. Cloud still hasn't had a game on Nintendo platforms.

This is just ****ing stupid. Not Terra, or anyone else that were ACTUALLY IN A NINTENDO CONSOLE!? **** that ****, you get the pretty bot with the lackluster move set and a final smash that's basically Great Ether 2.0 edgy edition.

You guys are the reason why we have cancerous **** like wanting a ****ty indie game knight, a **** boy, and somebody that comes straight out of a ****ing anime. Hell what's stopping them from bringing Goku now?! OH wait if they even tried it wouldn't even be him. It would have been ****ing Gohan or somebody no one ****ing cares about, because that's how it works with new ****.

At least ****ing Snake HAD entries in Nintendo titles. Enjoy your ****ing edgy *** **** boy cross dressing husbando.
1. STOP SWEARING. Learn self-restraint.
2. And now you're ranting about how they add in characters no one cares about. :4ryu:

You could always wait for Project M to release him. I believe he was in the concept/animation phase somewhere around last year.
Hey Project M is cool and all, but we (Golden Sun fans) obviously want him to appear in Smash as well with his psynergy awesomeness.

Last edited:
Every one is failing to recognize the genius of sakurai,"cloud STORMS into battle" lol that was hilarious

Also I think cloud fits the best to represent square enix,because he is the most iconic and recognizable character they have. I will admit someone like sora(who I have always wanted in the game) or geno would have been a better fit for smash though.

Also I haven't gotten this excited for a character reveal since Lucas or robin and lucina where announced. I have only freaked out of my mind with excitement,with these characters.

As I said to someone else, I completely spaced on Link.
But I don't consider Pit and Pittoo when people say swordsmen.
. So are we just gonna ignore the fact that Mii Swordfighter has 3 projectiles? EDIT: anyway I've never played a FF Game before, but I'm super hyped about Cloud! I know who he is obviously but I think he has lots of unique looking sword attacks and he seems fun to play as. I think people are forgetting that having fun is the most important part when there's a game like this. You should also respect that there are people who have been hoping for cloud for a long time now; why not congratulate them? I mean it doesn't harm you and it'll give a more positive out-look on the community if we help each other out more!

Last edited:
Ike is fast
I really should have elaborated on that more. What I meant to say was, I really wish some of Ike's attacks had that same startup speed. Also, I wish Ike's down smash functioned similarly to Cloud's.

But anyhow... I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: Sakurai never ceases to surprise me.

D
Saying Cloud is "just another swordsman like Ike/Marth" is like saying Little Mac is "just another melee brawler like Mario" or Mega Man is "just another projectile user like Samus."

Most characters generally fit into one of three archetypes, e.g. the Miis. With such a large roster, of course we're going to have multiple characters that belong to the same archetype.

Also, I'm 99% sure that Cloud was not chosen based on the ballot. The ballot closed a month ago, which isn't really enough time to create a detailed character and stage that are finished enough to be presentable during a Nintendo direct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom