• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cleaning up Boards: Pt2. The book of Lucario (Urgant read)

iRJi

Smash Champion
Updated First Post. Important to read if you decided to help me and posted that you will.

hough123

Smash Ace
Every Lucario AT in detail by Friday? You got it RJ.
I'll PM you my idea for my format.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Can I help out at all with revamping the boards? Also I think the Lucario Boards after this will be a great success.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Can I help out at all with revamping the boards? Also I think the Lucario Boards after this will be a great success.
Sure, YOu can do the FAQ section. For information you will need to go through the Ask a simple question section, as well as the other threads that involve common questions, and compile the questions with detailed answers into one complete section. Have it done by friday, and then post it here. Questions should be in bold print. for more information look at the first post.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Moveset Discussion is on its way.

Moveset in detail - Phil.

You need to include move names, Damage on 0 Aura Boost, at 75% Aura Boost, and max aura boost. That way you can get the gist of how much damage you can do at the time. It needs to include The frame Data for that move, and a description of what it does. Pictures will be very nice, and perfered. For you phil, this is mostly C/P from different areas. You can use Milln's Pictures of the moves, jsut add more to it like i posted above. Also the moves, and the name of each section must be in Bold print, that way it can look neat. Anything imprtant that needs to be addressed should be in bold also.
ummm....

Did I just mess up Phil's assignment?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
You're supposed to talk about how awesome lucario is...and then turn around and talk about how much he sucks >_>

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
K, soooo...
DJ, how exactly did you work with these hitboxes? I remember seeing your diagrams for sonic, those are pretty crazy.
Also, I will see if I can finish the last of the missing "frame info" got most of it, and yes, I think I'll use Milln's pics for the guide.

iRJi

Smash Champion
K, soooo...
DJ, how exactly did you work with these hitboxes? I remember seeing your diagrams for sonic, those are pretty crazy.
Also, I will see if I can finish the last of the missing "frame info" got most of it, and yes, I think I'll use Milln's pics for the guide.
K cool. Also, I am going to need you for the next project. We are going to not only finish the frame data, but get the lingering hitbox info =D

Browny

Smash Hater
K, soooo...
fully explained in the OP of the thread (in my sig)

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Lucario's strengths and weaknesses.

Ok this is just a draft.. ill update it with more edits..

Ok lets start with STRENGTHS

1.) First and foremost, Our ridiculous Aura ability. We get stronger when we take damage, about 1% stronger for every 2% damage. (ill verify this later.) Symptons of aura power are increased damage on moves, Increased knockback on moves, Increased priority on moves, and Aura sphere size increased. when full power your AS will be as big as bowser, and will be the Largest , strongest, most fear-inducing Projectile in the game.
2.) Lucario has a ridiculous ledgesnap range. for someone with as puny arms as him he can grab the ledge from about a 3/4 lucario away.
3.) An awesome aerial game results from his floatiness and mildly good airspeed. he is the 6th slowest faller in the game and is ranked 17th fastest in the air. Being at home in the air gives him a solid chance against chars with a better ground game.
4.) He has several antiair options himself which allows him to go toe to toe with other aerial lovers. like jiggly, yoshi, Ness, and a few others. namely upsmash, uptilt, grab, FPgrab, Dair, Fsmash works a bit too.
5.)Extremespeed can be curved as much as 90 degrees, thats by far one of the most flexible 3rd jumps ever. it allows him to go over edgehoggers, avoid edgeguard attempts, heck it can allow you to make a tiny mistake without falling to doom. It can also cling directly to walls making ES an above average recovery, and make a small bounce when he curves into the floor. (yes Phil ive found a small use for your bounce, getting away from edge guarders.)
6.) His wallclinging abilites are nothing short of amazing. a full 3 seconds can be spent hanging out on a wall giving you a virtual time out from a brawl. His walljumps are also massive and he can climb UP walls for a long time. since it can be done from ES it is a necessity to learn,no MASTER this. (especially on FD. its a lifesaver if you know you cant reach the ledge.)
7.) He has a good ranged game what with Aura bursts and them refusing to go away until the opponent gets hurt. with proper spacing you can attack short ranged opponents and leave em to burn in aura fire. (of course this is a bit exaggerated.. time those bursts well!)
8.) He can crawl under a couple of projectiles, pit's straight arrow, Samus super missile. ROB's laser, Diddy's peanuts,(note you can also duck under his leap thingy.) Luca's SHPK fire. , And MK's and space animals bair. (so long as not fast falled. TY MILLN!)
9.) Lucario can rack up damage pretty fast, he has several strings that can easily put 40% or so on your poor opponent. (especially if there fat. Fair>FFnair>Dtilt> followups, works awesome with bowser.)
10.) He's wicked AWESOME! besides, if the aura didnt drag you in dear newbie, the community will. (just dont be a snob alright? be friendly and be nice, or youll get flamed.)
11.) Above average vertical launch resistance. (13th)
12.)cant get chaingrabbed by anyone but DeDeDe and IC's
13.) Good Grab attacks. (fthrow kills, Bthrow's good at low aura, Dthrow = traps and Uthrow= chains and uptilt spam.)
14.) FP flame can be reflected, but doesnt hurt Luca!
WEAKNESSES
1.) Aura WORKS BOTH WAYS! if your ahead of your opponent you'll eventually grow weaker. =O
2.)Average vertical launch resistance. (16th)
3.) ES does no damage. (stick to that wallcling people.)
4.) His arms are puny... Apparently grabbing with his ears is more effective than grabbing with his tiny arms.
5.) FP flame can be absorbed, or bucketed.
6.) for a nimble dude he's pretty slow.... Fsmash is now an aura wall instead of an attack, (too slow startup) and his closed range moves are easily beaten with fast jabs. ( learn to space )
7.) Easily juggled. nuff said.
8.) Relies too much on racking up damage. (however a luca ditto is gonna be epic.)
9.) he is ridiculously weak at the start of a match. Low priority, low damage and really low knockback.
10.) No Spike?!! Better hit em close to the ledge........

nvm this too lazy (and tired) to put bonus facts.. sorry ya'll

hough123

Smash Ace
I'm done with my section!

Advanced Techs-

Reverse Double Team-
Reverse Double Team, (most commonly referred to as RDT), is a technique that allows Lucario to decide the direction that DT goes when hit. This allows the Lucario to go forward, as opposed to backwards when using DT. To do it, simply move the control stick in the direction you want Lucario to go in immediately after DT’s activation. If done correctly, Lucario should travel in the desired direction. A wall cling is possible out of RDT, allowing for recovery options if the opponent has a projectile.

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtTrTZZVA-M&feature=related

Reverse Aura Sphere-
Reverse Aura Sphere, (most commonly referred to as RAS or TAS for turn-around sphere), is a technique that allows Lucario to turn around right before an aura sphere. This technique also reverses Lucario’s momentum, which can be useful for recoveries. RAS requires precise timing, but is easily done consistently after practice. To do it, you have to start aura sphere, then flick the control stick in the opposite direction that you are facing. If done correctly, Lucario should turn around before the charge or shot.

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEQsXWh0dVY

Extreme Awesome-
Extreme Awesome, (most commonly referred to as EA), is a technique that allows Lucario to have no landing lag after ES, and also keep momentum. EA occurs when Lucario bounces off of a “ceiling” of a stage. (Such as the ceiling in Luigi’s Mansion.) Lucario can attack after the landing, allowing for unique spacing opportunities. To do it, simply direct ES into any ceiling at an angle, and land. ES can be done on most stages, but there are very few where it can be used practically. Still, ES can be a great way to surprise an opponent and space an attack.

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85vyBS6-bo4

Extreme Stop-
Extreme Stop, (most commonly referred to as EStop, as to not confuse it with Extreme Speed or Extreme Shift), is a technique that allows Lucario to cut the length of his ES in half, allowing for you to trick your opponent. To do it, move the control stick backwards while using ES, then move it down. When done correctly, Lucario should have not traveled the full distance of his ES, and will receive no landing lag. EStop’s uses are, sadly, quite limited, and are very situational.

Extreme Shift-
Extreme Shift, (most commonly referred to as EShift, as not to confuse it with either Extreme Speed or Extreme Stop), is a technique that allows for tighter angles when using ES. To do it, use ES in the desired direction and use the C-Stick to influence it. (NOTE: C-Stick must be set to Smash.) When done correctly, Lucario should go in a slightly different angle than usual. If you desire to wall-cling out of EShift, you must press Z to grab it or else you will use an aerial upon hitting it and plummet to your doom.

Extreme Bounce-
Extreme Bounce, (most commonly referred to as EB), is a technique that allows Lucario to bounce forward off of the stage upon impact with the ground out of ES. This allows for safer recoveries. To do it, aim ES toward the ground mid-flight and immediately flick the control stick forward. When done correctly, Lucario should have a noticeable “bounce” forward. This technique is fairly new, so information is still being found about it.

Videos: None yet.

Ledge-Cancel-
Ledge- Cancel is a technique that allows Lucario to bypass both a ledge-grab, and the landing lag of ES. Ledge-Canceling is done by aiming ES directly above the ledge. When done correctly, Lucario should land directly above the ledge with no lag whatsoever. Ledge-Canceling allows for zippier recoveries, and can trick opponents coming to punish an ES.

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swfieID18bY&feature=channel_page

Ledge-Jump-
A Ledge-Jump is a technique that allows Lucario to wall-jump off of the ledge directly out of a ledge-drop. When done correctly, Lucario should jump off of the wall that the ledge is composed of. Ledge-Jumping can be used to trick opponents, and can be used in accordance with RAS to get back to the stage and charge an AS.

Videos: None yet. (Though I think I’ve seen one somewhere…)

(Infinite) Second Jump Recovery-
(Infinite) Second Jump Recovery, (most commonly referred to as (I)SJR), is a technique that allows Lucario to gain his second jump back at least once with all of his aerials. To do it, you must use the desired aerial and use a second jump at the correct time. (Times can be found in the video below.) When done correctly, Lucario will regain his second jump if used. (I)SJR is not commonly used, but has enormous potential.

Videos: SJR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb8nhIEvCqU&feature=channel_page
ISJR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOfW7dFoDOk&feature=channel_page

I can start on a new one if needed now ;)

iRJi

Smash Champion
Nice nice nice. At this rate we can get this done before Friday, which is perfect.
Btw, Extreme Awsome is when Lucario gets a bounce off of a surface. That is what it use to be anyway. Not like it really mattered lol. Some of this **** needs better names.

hough123

Smash Ace
Nice nice nice. At this rate we can get this done before Friday, which is perfect.
Btw, Extreme Awsome is when Lucario gets a bounce off of a surface. That is what it use to be anyway. Not like it really mattered lol. Some of this **** needs better names.
I think that's what I put down :laugh:

Again, I'm ready for work. Who needs help? =P

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Please help me with some of the data i inputed like the length of the ledge grab and Attacks that can be ducked under. I cant use my wii until saturday.

EDIT I HAVE EDITED MY POST!!! Strengths and weaknesses.

hough123

Smash Ace
Please help me with some of the data i inputed like the length of the ledge grab and Attacks that can be ducked under. I cant use my wii until saturday.

EDIT I HAVE EDITED MY POST!!! Strengths and weaknesses.
Okey, I'll test this as soon as I can.

• Pit's Straight Arrow.
  • Samus super missile.
  • ROB's laser.
  • Diddy's peanuts, leap thingy.
  • Lucas's SH PK fire.
  • MK's and space animals bair.
  • Lucario's ledge-grab goes 3\4 a lucario away.

Ephyon

Smash Champion
little tip about the strengths/weaknesses section:
if you ask me, you should use ONE color for strengths and ONE for weaknesses. THEN, according to that specific perk/flaw, you can use a brighter/darker tone of that same color to tell how much important it is.
like, use green for strengths and red for weaknesses. all those colors are a true pain for the eyes. :x

iRJi

Smash Champion
I'm done with my section!

I can start on a new one if needed now ;)
Ok, You can do Useful Links. This one is obviously easy and fast. Just compile the useful links from the Link thread, as well as anything that has or might have been useful that is not on that thread, and compile it into this thread. Obviously make it neat, and then I will give you something else to do. The reason why I am asking for a useful Links section is because I actually want to take down the Useful Links thread that is up already, and combined 2 into 1. We will be pinning up not only this thread, but a few others as well.

As for the rest of you. If you can get your section finished early, do so please. The faster we do this, the faster we can move on to more important things that need to be done. =D

iRJi

Smash Champion
little tip about the strengths/weaknesses section:
if you ask me, you should use ONE color for strengths and ONE for weaknesses. THEN, according to that specific perk/flaw, you can use a brighter/darker tone of that same color to tell how much important it is.
like, use green for strengths and red for weaknesses. all those colors are a true pain for the eyes. :x
Double Post.

I am already working on that actually. I am going to overwrite his colors, so don't worry about it. xP

iRJi

Smash Champion
Sure. Just try to get it done as fast as possible =D

hough123

Smash Ace
Sure. Just try to get it done as fast as possible =D
K.
I had an idea, what if we talk about Lucario's recovery in the guide? Lucario is incredibly underestimated recovery-wise, and this is backed by videos of Lucarios gimping themselves being too common. They usually go with thier gut, and recover when they're right under the stae, as opposed to floating under the ledge and recovering.

iRJi

Smash Champion
One step at a time. Have to keep it orderly and organized. its the only way anything will get done. After we finish, then maybe we can add it.

Ephyon

Smash Champion
K.
I had an idea, what if we talk about Lucario's recovery in the guide? Lucario is incredibly underestimated recovery-wise, and this is backed by videos of Lucarios gimping themselves being too common. They usually go with thier gut, and recover when they're right under the stae, as opposed to floating under the ledge and recovering.
you can talk about that while discussing ES in the moveset guide, since it's his main recovery tool. or in the playstyle thread, for example. but yeah, one thing at a time.
just don't make a new thread only for luc's recovery. keeping the guide simple enough and newcomer-friendly is the key.
simpler things first, detailed analysis when the foundations are strong enough.

iRJi

Smash Champion
So... I want something tested. I can't do it myself because I have no one to DI the hits.

I want someone to try this string on a few characters.

From 0
FFUair>jab x2>Utilt>Fair>Nair>Jab>Grab/Dthrow or Bthrow
FFUair>jab x2>Utilt>Fair>Nair>Jab>FP
FFUair>jab x2>Utilt>Fair>Nair>Jab>Dash Attack
Jab x2>Utilt>Fair>Nair>Dtilt>Dash Attack
FFUair>Jab>Utilt>Fair>Nair>Jab>Grab/Dthrow
FFUair>Jab x2> Utilt > Fair> Dair

Test these on MK, Diddy, Rob, Boswer and DK.

You need someone to DI in order to test them properly. Also have them try their fastest option as well. I highly doubt these will work, but if they do the first 2 lead to about 40ish damage if every move is fresh, and if Lucario is at 0. Try them on you opponent when they are at 0. Its obvious that im trying to find 0 to w/e combos until people are finish with the guide. People who have not submitted there section, please do not try these until you do. I don't need people getting sidetracked from getting what they need to get done.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
No old metagame thread for the mix?
Doesn't matter too much, but some of the info is handy. Theres a OoS section that has info thats been out of the loop for a while.
-t2

hough123

Smash Ace
I wasn't going to make a new thread, but the playstyle thread would cover it. THanks for bringing that up =D

iRJi

Smash Champion
Going to be making the thread soon. When I do, Do not post in it and continue to post here.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Hey guys this is the FAQ section. If something is wrong please correct me. Hope you guys like it!

FAQ- Frequently Asked Questions
Index:
1)Beginners
2)Moves
3)Stages
4)Tournaments/ Players

1)Beginners

Q- How do you unlock Lucario in SSBB?

To unlock Lucario in Brawl you can either: Defeat Lucario in SSE with Metaknight, Complete 5 Target Tests with any character, or play 100 VS matches.

Q- Is Lucario a pick up and play character?

Lucario has some things that do not make a welcome doormat for the beginner, but he isn’t as bad as some people say he is.

Q- What controllers do the pros use?

The pros use the GC controller. The button layout by far is easier to use than the wii remote or classic controller.

2)Moves

Q- How long can Lucario wall hang?

Lucario can wall hang for approximately 3 seconds.

Q- What are good approaches for Lucario?

It really depends on what character you are playing. But the overall best way to approach is by a fair.

Q- What is Lucario’s fastest aerial?

Lucario’s fastest aerial is dair because it comes out in frame 4.

Q- Which throw is better for what purpose?

Fthrow for killing
Uthrow for combos
Bthrow and Dthrow for 10% and spacing

Q- What options do you have after A>A>?

A>A>FP, A>A>grab, A>A>A, A>A>Ftilt or Fsmash.

Q- Nair or Fair? Which should I use more?

Fair. Nair is only good since it deals more damage and it autocancels on the ground. Whereas fair is a better overall move.

Q- What are some good mindgames for a FCAS?

Some mindgames for a FCAS is that you could intimidate your opponents to the edge. You can also play aggressive and wait till your opponent screws up and then release the FCAS.

Q- Is B-sticking necessary?

No, B-sticking isn’t necessary. All it really is a fun little tactic you can pick up to try and get good at it, to show some class. But it does not separate the good Lucario from the bad Lucario.

Q- Does Lucario have one of the best rolls in the game?

Lucario’s roll is equal to the fastest roll in the game and it also has great distance compared to other rolls. The only down side is that you roll in front of your opponent, so you could very easily be punished.

Q- How do you break the bad habits of rolling?

Simple. Change the L and R buttons to nothing or taunts.

Q- What is Lucario’s signature move?

Lucario’s signature move is the AS. It is a unique move that gives him an identity.

Q- What is Lucario’s best move to slow your momentum when knocked off the platform?

The move to slow down your momentum is fair not dair. Dair is only good when you are falling.

Q- Which is better for a setup to FP or grab? Jab>FP/Grab or Jab>Jab>FP/Grab

Neither. If the opponent realizes what you are going to do they will shut you down, simple as that.

Q- What is Lucario’s Down B?

Lucario’s down b is referred to as Double Team (DT). It is a counter move and to use it you must get hit at the beginning of the attack. DT is not liked by many people due to it being so risky.

Q- What are Lucario’s best punishing moves?

Lucario’s best punishing move’s are the AS and Dair. Both can be released fast and can easily punish any mistake.

3) Stages

Q- What are Lucario’s best and worst stages?

Best:

Yoshi Island- The wall-clinging here is very easy, the bigger boundaries allow Lucario to live longer, the platform is placed perfectly for camping tactics and SH aerial attacks.

Frigate Orpheon- Some of this stage allows you to wall-cling, due to the high ceiling it is hard to kill Lucario vertically, the platform is great for SH aerials.

Pokémon Stadium 1- This stage is AS friendly, the platforms here are ok but not great and the ceiling is decent.

Luigi’s Mansion- This stage was built for “Extreme Awesome” (EA), great for our Fsmash on the bottom of the stage, high ceiling.

Worst:

Corneria- Has a low ceiling, the slope messes up Lucario’s AS.

Rainbow Cruise- The platforms make it horrible for characters with a double jump, can be killed early if near the side,

4) Tournament/Players

Q- Who is the current best Lucario?

It really depends on who sticks with Lucario the longest. :)

Q- Does Azen still play Lucario?

Yes Azen still plays Lucario but not all the time. Some people even say ,“Azen mains Azen”.

Q- How can you prepare yourself for a tournament?

You can prepare yourself for a tournament by practicing, playing as many friendlies as possible before your tournament matches being, staying calm, rereading the matchup thread, playing some friends, a good night sleep and having a fresh mind.

Top Bottom