• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chun-Li Kicks the Competition for DLC 'work in progress'

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't particularly want Chun-Li, but I'm not opposed to her either. I actually thought she'd be the first unique third party from an existing series instead of Sephiroth. But now that we have Sephiroth, Chun Li is probably inevitable unless the roster is gutted

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not only do I support Chun-Li, but I would have her over a 2nd Mega Man rep in-spite of being a Mega Man fan.
My most wanted Capcom reps are Mega Man characters like Zero and Tron Bonne. But if Chun-Li never get's in, they sure as hell never will. I also want Chun-Li as well since she's my favorite Street Fighter character. But I know Street Fighter will and should get their characters first since Street Fighter has the more iconic cast.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
But if Chun-Li never get's in, they sure as hell never will.
I've been thinking about this in regards to Chun-Li a lot. How like, in the hierarchy of Capcom characters Chun-Li is inarguably near the very top. In a vacuum, ignoring the number of 'reps' Street Fighter has and thinking about the biggest no-brainer Capcom characters left to add to the roster (hell, biggest video game characters in her case), Chun-Li is such an obvious answer - arguably, IMO, the single most significant video game character left to add to the roster.

Considering I feel the community cares much more about 'reps' than Nintendo or Sakurai does, and how Chun-Li can stand very nicely on her own, I don't think that would end up being a major obstacle either. Besides... Alpha and SFIII content, hello.

If we get a Capcom character I feel it will be Chun-Li or Monster Hunter. I'm much more confident in the latter, but those rumors circulating about scrapped base game content and whatnot give me a little faith in Chunners (I don't wanna get my hopes up too high though!). Nonetheless, I think these are definitely the two biggest Capcom characters they could possibly add right now... outside of the Resident Evil crew, rest in spirits. I was really rooting for them through FP1 too (specifically Jill). I imagine RE content had to have crossed their minds before, but probably fell into difficulty with censorship. I hope they can work around that someday.

Dante is popular, but in the grand scheme of things is not as big a character as Chun-Li and DMC is not nearly as big as Monster Hunter (particularly in Japan) - so when going through the potential big names, I feel that Nintendo would opt for one of the two clear heavy hitters. Same goes for Phoenix, etc. All of these are fantastic picks btw and I wouldn't be disappointed in seeing any one of them.

In regards to Chun and MH I think it's a matter of when, not a matter of if. Unless they're fully satisfied representing Monster Hunter through nonplayable content - but the plentiful avatar characters in Smash have me doubting this. In any case, whoever doesn't make it into Ultimate as DLC is a prime candidate for the eventual Smash 6 like... 7 years from now. Better sooner than later I say. But yeah, that's my little tangent about Chun-Li and the Capcom situation at the moment - for what it's worth I'm pretty sure we will be getting a new Capcom character.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sorry for the double post but I suppose this can be a bump too - There's a particular hangup I have regarding Chun-Li's chances and I wanted to know how everyone else felt about it.

I'm referring to Min Min, whose addition I really love. But with a Chinese martial artist who kicks a lot already on the roster, I wonder if they would bother adding Chun-Li who has more than a bit of overlap. After all I've heard several people call Min Min the Chun-Li of ARMS, I don't think the comparison is unfounded. And in all fairness, I'm currently expecting Hayabusa, but if Ninjara popped up instead of Min Min I would probably be incredibly skeptical of him moving forward.

Of course there are some clear differences too. Despite their thematic similarities, Min Min's focus is clearly on her ARMS, and her moveset is built around this concept, while Chun-Li has a far more grounded fighting style that puts more emphasis on her legs. They'd likely share a couple similar normals (particularly rapid jab) but their movesets would differ in pretty much every other way. So ultimately I don't think it's damning at all, but it's just something that kinda tugs at me in the back of my mind as something that could be an obstacle for Chun securing a spot in this Fighter Pass.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
But I know Street Fighter will and should get their characters first since Street Fighter has the more iconic cast.
That's the reason why I would want Chun-Li over a 2nd Mega Man rep. The titular Megaman character is still more iconic than the entire Street Fighter cast.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Hey, Kick Crew it's been a minute, and boy this place has grown in my absence!

So let's break down some stuff and assess our chances papagenos papagenos style.

1: We know now the 3rd parties can have multiple reps if they're big enough.

2: We know that challenges can be added based on new characters.

So what do we have now and what don't we have?

Well despite Street Fighter's size and seniority like FF there are no Mii Costumes, not one.

All the music from SF is from the two variants of SF2, despite all variants of SF2 plus SF3 being available for Switch. Additionally, Ryu & Ken use focus attacks in Smash which is a reference to the system present in SF4 which had a 3DS port. Some MvC2 music would be nice but I'm not sure of the legality of that.

In the history of Capcom characters in crossovers, Chun-Li has been the favored option over Ken in the 3D era of Capcom. In multiple games, Ken is often ignored as the partner for Ryu in favor of Chun-Li and Akuma, but mostly Chun-Li.

As for events, there is one that came back in SF5 that came from MvC1, which I think would be a very interesting event to bring to smash, a boss-like encounter for an unlock.

That was a bit rapid-fire but yeah, hope this is comprehensive.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace

So let's break down some stuff and assess our chances papagenos papagenos style.

Well despite Street Fighter's size and seniority like FF there are no Mii Costumes, not one.

All the music from SF is from the two variants of SF2, despite all variants of SF2 plus SF3 being available for Switch. Additionally, Ryu & Ken use focus attacks in Smash which is a reference to the system present in SF4 which had a 3DS port. Some MvC2 music would be nice but I'm not sure of the legality of that.

In the history of Capcom characters in crossovers, Chun-Li has been the favored option over Ken in the 3D era of Capcom. In multiple games, Ken is often ignored as the partner for Ryu in favor of Chun-Li and Akuma, but mostly Chun-Li.

As for events, there is one that came back in SF5 that came from MvC1, which I think would be a very interesting event to bring to smash a boss-like encounter for an unlock.

ooooh I really like the Shadow Lady Challenge as an homage to MvC as well as an event boss battle to unlock Chun-Li

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

As for events, there is one that came back in SF5 that came from MvC1, which I think would be a very interesting event to bring to smash a boss-like encounter for an unlock.

Hmm this is a pretty interesting idea for Chun-Li, I could easily see her being given a Challenger Approaching style early-access fight, it’s a staple of the Street Fighter series after all so it makes a lot of sense to do for her

I briefly did want to go over the Spirits we’re missing from the other games however, there’s quite a bit that’s missing (Notably Alex is a glaring omission being the protagonist of the third game) so let’s go over them in a list

SF3: Alex, Dudley, Elena, Necro, Oro, Sean, Hugo, Makoto, Q, Remy, Twelve, Urien, Gill

Alpha: Birdie, Adon, Guy, Sodom, Rose, Rolento, R. Mika, Juni and Juli

SF4: Everyone except Juri

SFV: Everyone although Sony could be a potential roadblock for SFV content due to them financing that game

So yeah... There’s quite a lot of ones that are missing that Chun could come with, I think we’ve covered a lot of the bases for Alpha Spirits but there’s so many odd exclusions from SF3 that it’s honestly pretty striking, still it shows there’s quite a lot more Spirits she could come with in a Fighter Pack for just a board alone.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm loving all this discussion, hype, and support coming in for our girl. I really hope Chun-Li makes it in y'all as she would make Ultimate really feel like the Ultimate Smash with her in with all these big 3rd party icons and notable and iconic popular villains like Sephiroth, Ridley, K. Rool, and Dark Samus. Chun-Li deserves to be in this game

D

Deleted member

Here's Classic Mode for Chun-Li
Chun-Li Classic Mode
1. :ultbowser:
Stage: Mushroomy Kingdom (Ω)
Music: King Bowser-Super Mario Bros. 3

2. :ultganondorf:
Stage: Gerudo Valley
Music: Calamity Ganon-Second Form

3. :ultwolf:
Stage: Venom
Music: Star Wolf/Sector Z

Bonus Stage
4. :ultsephiroth:
Stage: Northern Cave
Music: One Winged Angel (Advent Children)

5. White :ultjoker:
Stage: Arena Ferox (Ω)
Music: Vega Stage

6. Dracula
Final Stage: White :ultken:
Stage: Mementos (Persona 3 Ω)
Music: Ken's Theme

References
1-4. No references at all other than Chun-Li, being a police officer bringing villains from other series to justice.

5. White:ultjoker: representing Vega with Arena Ferox referencing his home stage.

6. Dracula representing M. Bison

Final Stage: Referencing the infamous EVO 37

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
What stage you think Chun will come with? Suzaku Castle ain’t very interesting is it? It’d be nice to see her come with something a bit less drab.

I’d personally love to see a stage based on Taiping Road from Street Fighter 2, maybe you could even put cameos of other Street Fighter cameos in the background?
0C7029FA-62B8-4039-85CB-9928222CE443.png

Pakky

Smash Hero
Also as an aside.

Monster Hunter technically IS in Smash already filling the spots of Assist Trophy and Boss with Rathalos. And When Chun-Li does get in Monster Hunter costumes would accompany her not unlike Geno accompanied Sephy.

Dante is strong competition and is the progenitor of a genre. The problem here is that Bayo is his successor and fills his spot (Kinda), and is made by the same person. So to that, I can't really be sure. But I would say he's on the table. However, as I said before there's A LOT of SF not in Smash. Even going from the other variants of SF2 to SF4 there's A LOT to add.

Also there this Music Video by Nikki Minja called "Chun-Li" NSFW enter at your own risk

I use this as an example to say unlike a lot of fighting game guys and video game characters in general, she's known the main populace.
There's nothing niche about her.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Monster Hunter technically IS in Smash already filling the spots of Assist Trophy and Boss with Rathalos. And When Chun-Li does get in Monster Hunter costumes would accompany her not unlike Geno accompanied Sephy.
Eh, I do think Chun-Li stands a good chance but this isn't a good reason to count Monster Hunter out, who still provides IMO her steepest competition. I mean, Street Fighter is in Smash too so I'm unsure how this disqualifies MH specifically.

By this same logic you could say that Ken and the various new tracks that we got are sufficient Street Fighter representation for Ultimate which blocks out Chun-Li. Which wouldn't be true at all, but it's equally reductive toward the content that these series can bring to the table and their worth beyond what they've already gotten. Both have plenty to offer outside of what we've already seen.

Monster Hunter only has Rathalos, a couple spirits and a couple songs... there's more than enough room to expand on this if they wanted to. And there's plenty of reason to: on account of MH World's success as the single best selling Capcom game in the company's history, the significance of the series in Japan comparable to that of Dragon Quest, or the upcoming Switch (limited time) exclusives of MH Rise and MH Stories 2.

There are even some unused spirit files and the MH music lumped in alongside the playable series' content. If we're going to humor the possibility of Chun-Li having been scrapped and being revisited for DLC, on top of a series that in many peoples' eyes has sufficient representation through its new content in Ultimate, then in all fairness we have to acknowledge a similar possibility in expanding on Monster Hunter content.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The best case scenario would be Chun-Li getting in alongside another Capcom character like Phoenix/Hunter/etc. After all Capcom technically skipped the last pass, so they haven’t had any new characters for all of Ultimate’s DLC. Meanwhile both Square and Microsoft have had two characters so far. Even in the base game Capcom only got a single echo. Though it’s unlikely for companies to get multiple characters in one pass, if any company can break that rule, I bet it would be Capcom.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The best case scenario would be Chun-Li getting in alongside another Capcom character like Phoenix/Hunter/etc. After all Capcom technically skipped the last pass, so they haven’t had any new characters for all of Ultimate’s DLC. Meanwhile both Square and Microsoft have had two characters so far. Even in the base game Capcom only got a single echo. Though it’s unlikely for companies to get multiple characters in one pass, if any company can break that rule, I bet it would be Capcom.
Honestly, I think if any company is going to break the "One rep per Pass" fan rule it will be Microsoft. Microsoft is one of the biggest corporations in the world and their presence alone in Smash is somewhat overwhelming in retrospect. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft actually does triple dip for the DLC and get's Master Chief near the end.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Eh, I do think Chun-Li stands a good chance but this isn't a good reason to count Monster Hunter out, who still provides IMO her steepest competition. I mean, Street Fighter is in Smash too so I'm unsure how this disqualifies MH specifically.

By this same logic you could say that Ken and the various new tracks that we got are sufficient Street Fighter representation for Ultimate which blocks out Chun-Li. Which wouldn't be true at all, but it's equally reductive toward the content that these series can bring to the table and their worth beyond what they've already gotten. Both have plenty to offer outside of what we've already seen.

Monster Hunter only has Rathalos, a couple spirits and a couple songs... there's more than enough room to expand on this if they wanted to. And there's plenty of reason to: on account of MH World's success as the single best selling Capcom game in the company's history, the significance of the series in Japan comparable to that of Dragon Quest, or the upcoming Switch (limited time) exclusives of MH Rise and MH Stories 2.

There are even some unused spirit files and the MH music lumped in alongside the playable series' content. If we're going to humor the possibility of Chun-Li having been scrapped and being revisited for DLC, on top of a series that in many peoples' eyes has sufficient representation through its new content in Ultimate, then in all fairness we have to acknowledge a similar possibility in expanding on Monster Hunter content.
Let me rephrase what I meant.

To my understanding, Rathalos both in terms of armor and in terms of the actual monster is the poster child for MH. You see this with the Mii costumes and Hunter's appearance in MvCI. For him to be in this early paints a picture to say that the Mii costume got upgraded into the actual monster. Ther could be more as MH is big in Japan as was a star on the 3DS and is coming to the Switch. However, to me, this seems as though, with that series especially the "main" character is already in Smash, and no one else has as much fanfare as him. Could be wrong but that's what it seems like.

Now this is a "Smash-ism" but I believe that Byleth stole Hunter's thunder. Because from what I know about Monster Hunter, from the one on the WiiU and World. The Hunter's set is nearly 1-and-1 with Byleth. Which IS a shame but it is what it is.

Now in terms of comparing Capcom characters, I'll just say this.

Fan rules and Smash fan reception aside. Chun-Li is the most well known Capcom character. I would argue more so than even Ryu or Megaman.

Last edited:

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
I'm torn between Chun-Li or Dante being the next Capcom rep, but either would be great. Who knows, with all the curveballs thrown into Smash at this point maybe we'll get both.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It’s really odd to think this is one of the only videogame crossovers where Ryu appears (joined with a rare appearance from Ken as well since he doesn’t usually appear in crossovers as much as the big two) but Chun-Li is almost entirely MIA outside of a few small references

At this rate I’d argue it’s weird she isn’t in yet, especially with the inclusion of Sephiroth who goes along with Cloud, I think it’d honestly be kinda odd if we didn’t get Chun-Li by the time Ultimate ended, she’s just so appropriate at this point

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To my understanding, Rathalos both in terms of armor and in terms of the actual monster is the poster child for MH. You see this with the Mii costumes and Hunter's appearance in MvCI. For him to be in this early paints a picture to say that the Mii costume got upgraded into the actual monster. Ther could be more as MH is big in Japan as was a star on the 3DS and is coming to the Switch. However, to me, this seems as though, with that series especially the "main" character is already in Smash, and no one else has as much fanfare as him. Could be wrong but that's what it seems like.
Rathalos is definitely for all intents and purposes the "face" of Monster Hunter, and if you want my honest opinion on this I think Monster Hunter would be served just fine with Rathalos as a boss if it had an actual stage and more music and spirits. It's still kinda confusing to me why they didn't go all the way with that... which is part of why I've been prepared for the addition of more. The Hunter themselves is more of a vessel to experience the game than they are the icon of the series, and I'm not a huge generic avatar in Smash kind of guy. I could do without Monster Hunter as a character.

That being said - I gotta be fair to the series and recognize that this doesn't matter too much. Rathalos is the "Monster"... but there's another half of that title that's equally significant. At the end of the day, it sounds obvious, but the Hunter is just as significant to the overall experience as the Monster. Maybe not the character themselves (they really aren't a character) but the weapons and combat of Monster Hunter are still yet to be properly implemented into Smash. And maybe creating a moveset distinctly around the idea of hunting and making Monster Hunter somewhat of a trap character, that could be cool.

Which brings us to the next thing:

Now this is a "Smash-ism" but I believe that Byleth stole Hunter's thunder. Because from what I know about Monster Hunter, from the one on the WiiU and World. The Hunter's set is nearly 1-and-1 with Byleth. Which IS a shame but it is what it is.
I mean no disrespect to you and I don't want to sound patronizing when I say this, but it's kinda tiring to hear people argue this when Monster Hunter has SO many different weapon combinations and ideas that you can pull from. Byleth is not the only Smash character to use multiple weapons and I'm certain, Hunter or otherwise, they won't be the last. While you could certainly build a MH moveset that looks similar to Byleth, you could also build like ten other ones that are completely unmistakably different. I think the observation that Byleth plays like MH could have is valid... but I think Byleth is simply one of many different directions that a Hunter could be taken.

And again I want to draw a parallel - but before I do I want to say, I hope it doesn't come off like I'm arguing against Chun-Li because if I haven't made it clear already I REALLY want her to make it. But saying Byleth steals Monster Hunter's thunder is not that far off from arguing that Chun-Li's role, being another Chinese martial artist girl with a kick affinity, has already been filled by Min Min. Which I don't think is right, because these are still two totally different characters who offer completely different content at the end of the day. And well, the giant ARMS, but I think you get the idea right? I think it's a little close minded to think this way is all.

Fan rules and Smash fan reception aside. Chun-Li is the most well known Capcom character. I would argue more so than even Ryu or Megaman.
Chun-Li is IMO the most iconic video game character missing from Smash - she is undeniably very very very significant and this continues to be a great point in her favor. I would never argue that a generic Hunter is a more recognizable character than her - however I would acknowledge Monster Hunter's gigantic influence in Japan and its recent successes making it one of the most glaring series without a playable character.

Chun-Li represents herself, as an individual character like Sephiroth, while Monster Hunter represents the whole MH series not unlike Steve or Hero - there's precedent for both of these kinds of decisions. At the end of the day IMO it will boil down to whether or not Nintendo wants to pull for the big name in Chun-Li, or the big new franchise in Monster Hunter. I think both would be fully justified, even though personally character and personality mean much more to me. It's a matter of perspective I suppose.

My main point was just that we shouldn't count Monster Hunter out based on these assumptions, and that I think they have a great chance just as well as Chun-Li has a very solid chance. I think when supporting a character like Chun-Li it's important to recognize and respect her steep competition and just hope she can win out against some other really great choices. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people here in saying I'd be happy with most things they could pull from Capcom's extensive catalogue (my most wanted is Morrigan, but she's obviously wayyy down the list of priorities lmao).

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I support Chun-Li for Smash Ultimate and beyond.
That being said, if she does get in, since SF already has an abundance of incredible music tracks, I think she should come with more Capcom tracks and remixes like Terry did with SNK.
This was my prospect for Morrigan - my MW Capcom pick, but far from likely. But since her legacy lies more in crossovers and representing Capcom's fighting games as a whole vs Darkstalkers specifically, I think it could be neat to see her pull from all different avenues reaching into Marvel vs Capcom and deeper cuts like Cyberbots or Red Earth.

Of course this could also work for Chun-Li. In a perfect world, every company in Smash gets something like this tbh. Terry really raised the bar and has me wishing that we saw that kind of universal love for a company's offerings more often. Capcom, Sega, Namco could all use something like that.

Namco does do this a little bit with Pac-Man, but it feels very restrained. You can tell that Pac is moreso representing classic Namco arcade than just simply "Pac-Man", but unfortunately we don't have as much as we could. I love that we got Galaga and Mappy Medley though.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So if Chun-Li is in Fighter's Pass 2, when do y'all think they will announce her? The past 2 fighters have come with Namco costumes so I think either the Namco rep is next or some other rep with the Lloyd Mii costume returning alongside said fighter either way. I think going by this, Chun-Li will have to be FP10 since all the DLC thus far have come with Smash 4 Mii costumes and the Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos Mii costumes are the only ones left missing. They would obviously save the Monster Hunter costumes for Chun-Li's pack so if we see the Lloyd Mii costume return in the next Challenger Pack than I think Chun-Li will come in Challenger Pack 10 or maybe even the next one if the Monster Hunter costumes return before the Lloyd one does.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
So if Chun-Li is in Fighter's Pass 2, when do y'all think they will announce her?
I don't think they'll save her for the last one so either next one or the second next one.

I know the last fighter pass ending with Byleth was a good lesson that we shouldn't expect the last one to be the biggest one but ending fighter pass 2 with a character from a series already present that would share their mechanics with characters already in the game would be a pretty underwhelming sendoff. Exciting for Chun-Li fans obviously but not very hype.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think they'll save her for the last one so either next one or the second next one.

I know the last fighter pass ending with Byleth was a good lesson that we shouldn't expect the last one to be the biggest one but ending fighter pass 2 with a character from a series already present that would share their mechanics with characters already in the game would be a pretty underwhelming sendoff. Exciting for Chun-Li fans obviously but not very hype.
That is what I was saying, is that Chun-Li will probably be FP9 or FP10 if she's in because of the Smash 4 Mii costumes showing up one after the other in the Challenger Packs.

Top Bottom