• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chun-Li Kicks the Competition for DLC 'work in progress'

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wish Chun Li would have been the pick for base instead of Ken. I understand why not, but it is difficult for me to support her, even as an icon, due to this.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well we've had Final Fantasy expand it's roster so there could be a chance of Street Fighter following suit.

And she could also bring along music from Street Fighter games other than Street Fighter 2 which is a plus.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can't say I can see it happening with there already being a fighting game character in the pass (And unfortunately probably the only one I'm not interested in)

Still open to surprises tho
To be fair, it's already to two fighting game characters :ultkazuya::ultminmin and the original pass had 2 JRPG characters :ultjoker::ulthero: so I don't think genre is any limiting factor.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, it's already to two fighting game characters :ultkazuya::ultminmin and the original pass had 2 JRPG characters :ultjoker::ulthero: so I don't think genre is any limiting factor.
I think traditional fighting game characters are a unique case as thus far they've all universally had the same specific mechanic/gimmick (Even Min Min though not being from a traditional fighter, you could still argue has a variation of this gimmick too) and I can't imagine anymore we get in the future wouldn't have that, Chun-Li definitely would since since the Street Fighter characters already in the game do.

edit: not that this really matters anymore since the last character was Sora but y'know food for thought

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
so I don't think genre is any limiting factor
Sure, just if I can nominate other game genres or more fighter game series, I'd love to.

But meanwhile I like Chun-Li, and it would be unfair if SF always just stick to Ryu. It'd be nice to see some other different SF reps in future Smash games.

toonito

Smash Ace
post FP2 thoughts:

For Smash 6 (or later) I feel like there's 2 philosophies Capcom could follow:

1. Promote impactful characters from their IPs regardless of Smash representation
2. Promote more of their franchises to Smash to show more of their diverse IPs

If they follow 1 then I still feel good about Chun-Li making it in Smash as early as the next game. Think Sephiroth who is a character popular enough to stand on his own regardless of franchise representation. I think Chun-Li is another one of those type of characters. It's not a coincidence that upon Sephiroth's reveal speculation for Chun-Li skyrocketed.

If they follow 2 then due to Capcom's strong IP selection and desire to display more of their franchises such as Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, etc. I feel like Chun-Li in this timeline has more of an uphill battle to climb especially against characters like Dante and Phoenix Wright. A lot of people were surprised about Resident Evil being relegated to a spirit event when it is Capcom's biggest franchise. Following this line of thinking my confidence in Chun-Li has shaken a bit but I still support her and feel she'll make it eventually.

Great to see support for the First Lady of Fighting Games!

onto Smash 6!

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
If they follow 1 then I still feel good about Chun-Li making it in Smash as early as the next game. Think Sephiroth who is a character popular enough to stand on his own regardless of franchise representation. I think Chun-Li is another one of those type of characters. It's not a coincidence that upon Sephiroth's reveal speculation for Chun-Li skyrocketed.
The problem is Sephiroth didn't quite get into the roster by being the sole rep of his franchise to prove that he can stand on his own, especially when Ultimate was the opportunity to show the ultimate maximal size of a crossover.

Sometimes it's important to know how to avoid arousing suspicion. It feels like if you're hired by Nintendo but your parents happen to be Nintendo's CEOs, it'd be very hard to convine people that you rely on yourself to get into NIntendo.

Sephiroth should be a lesson for Chun-Li if Nintendo and Capcom do want to push her to rep SF in a future Smash game. I do want to see some other new Capcom franchises like Ace Attorney and Resident Evil in the next round. I think it would be nice to have Chun-Li join with a rep from either franchise.

Like said, Sakurai loves fighting games, and Smash hasn't invited a 3rd party fighting heroine, I think he will eventually add one. Just meanwhile among the Capcom options, Morrigan also seems to be an appealing deal

Last edited:

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
post FP2 thoughts:

For Smash 6 (or later) I feel like there's 2 philosophies Capcom could follow:
I don't think Capcom's the one that decides which of their characters gets into Smash though. Maybe they could push for different characters but I imagine Nintendo/Sakurai approaches them with a character they've already decided upon.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Well, I haven't been around a lot however I want to thank everyone for their support.

I don't know if things are REALLY over at this moment.

However, if they are, wow, what a wild ride. Let's march forward, regardless of warnings the future shouldn't scare anyone at all.

Top Bottom