• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chorus Kids for Smash Bros. DLC! ~ Lend your Song of Support in the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot! ~

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I mean, looking at the Rhythm Heaven characters, Chorus Men are very iconic and interesting.
Karate Joe is cool, but I'm not sure how well he can represent a rhythm game on his own.
Wrestler is kind of niche, his mini game didn't even get much coverage overall.
Marshal actually has nothing to go against him, but since Chorus Men is essentially 3 Marshals he's pretty much beat.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
There's no denying the chorus kids has its own way of making sense, particularly in the twisted Sakurai sense.

But deep deep down ... I still want that monkey. Even if no one else even considers it an option T_T

D

Deleted member

I'm not exactly fine with Marshal, I was more or less thinking aloud. I didn't expect anyone to come along and deconstruct every sentence of my post. Yes, the same issue applies to Marshal, and Rhythm Girl, and effectively all other possible Rhythm Heaven reps. They're all extremely minor characters even within the context of their own series. But I do maintain that Marshal is a more neutral representative than the characters that appear directly in the songs. You absolutely could give the Chorus Kids moves based on the other minigames, but simply due to being those characters they would always first and foremost be representing Glee Club and Glee Club 2. Marshal is more general, he's not tied to any one minigame.
He's tied to Rhythm Test and the Fever version of Night Walk for the Credits.
Hell, he's not even made cameos outside his own franchise like the Chorus Kids have (as evident as my last post).

I'm not familiar with the X/Y leaks. How early did this sort of thing come about? At this point in SSB4's development cycle, the whole character roster and their names will have been decided on and finalized some time ago. I simply don't see where the vagueness would have come from if he was being informed by an insider, and even less so if he's an insider himself.
The X/Y leaks were as early as February of 2013 but wouldn't be public until May 11 2013, right before the English names for Pancham, Helioptile, Gogoat, and Fletchling would be known. And sure enough, they were all stated in the first batch of leaks (though with Pancham being "Panchum" as I stated).

Aside from that, the first batch of info from Sal's informant was "public" on June 10th (though Sal received the e-mail weeks prior). As evident on June 19th, Sakurai had not decided on a Pokemon newcomer at that point in time.
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html

The decision for Greninja wouldn't have happened until after October 11th of that year, when X/Y came out. Then, it would only be a matter of weeks that Greninja would be the most popular Pokemon of Kalos thanks to the Protean Hidden Ability.
Sal's informant gave off the second batch of leaks on April 7th of this year, the day before Greninja was announced.
However, that doesn't mean the information the informant had was fresh. Considering the informant had info dating back to before E3 of last year, the informant could have been sitting on outdated info in regards to an X/Y Pokemon. Since again, it wouldn't have been decided to be Greninja until after X/Y's release.
This also goes back to the X/Y leaker, who gave all the information he had to PokeBeach in February 2013, though only spurts of it would go public at a time months later.

If he only knew there was going to be an X/Y character, why the specifics on everything else? Why didn't he say there was going to be "a Rhythm Heaven character" or "an Animal Crossing character"? It's strange to me that he would be indirect about a character like Greninja, but clear on characters like Villager or Wii Fit Trainer.
See above; the X/Y Pokemon decision was much later than other characters. Unless you honestly believe that Sakurai back in late 2012/early 2013 decided upon Greninja, who was completely unknown to the public and to him at the time? :rolleyes:

Now, if the informant DID know it was Greninja prior to the second leak, there's still the issue that GameFreak would be on his ass over leaking him, which you've seemed to ignore me saying. There is a substantially larger risk in leaking anything Pokemon related than any other of Nintendo's franchises. Enough of a risk that even sites like Serebii were threatened with C&Ds during B/W's release and people who got early copies of X/Y were forced to give them up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkqWiYVV70w

Another "choir boy" video from SmashLeaks1

I think its fake but still thought its worth posting here. Also I do believe the Sal leak so I think this character is in...just that this video is most likely fake.
This is very very fake.
Still pretty neat though.
There's no denying the chorus kids has its own way of making sense, particularly in the twisted Sakurai sense.

But deep deep down ... I still want that monkey. Even if no one else even considers it an option T_T
I freaking love that Monkey.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
If it were real I imagine Tsunku would appear among the list of companies at the end of the trailer. From what I saw, that's not the case. Also, I don't see why we'd have a newcomer trailer in which there's so little focus on the character actually, well, fighting.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Who in their right mind would ever consider this a legitimate leak? Wow that was ugly, very lazy attempt even for a 3DS version.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
He's tied to Rhythm Test and the Fever version of Night Walk for the Credits.
Hell, he's not even made cameos outside his own franchise like the Chorus Kids have (as evident as my last post).

The X/Y leaks were as early as February of 2013 but wouldn't be public until May 11 2013, right before the English names for Pancham, Helioptile, Gogoat, and Fletchling would be known. And sure enough, they were all stated in the first batch of leaks (though with Pancham being "Panchum" as I stated).

Aside from that, the first batch of info from Sal's informant was "public" on June 10th (though Sal received the e-mail weeks prior). As evident on June 19th, Sakurai had not decided on a Pokemon newcomer at that point in time.
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html

The decision for Greninja wouldn't have happened until after October 11th of that year, when X/Y came out. Then, it would only be a matter of weeks that Greninja would be the most popular Pokemon of Kalos thanks to the Protean Hidden Ability.
Sal's informant gave off the second batch of leaks on April 7th of this year, the day before Greninja was announced.
However, that doesn't mean the information the informant had was fresh. Considering the informant had info dating back to before E3 of last year, the informant could have been sitting on outdated info in regards to an X/Y Pokemon. Since again, it wouldn't have been decided to be Greninja until after X/Y's release.
This also goes back to the X/Y leaker, who gave all the information he had to PokeBeach in February 2013, though only spurts of it would go public at a time months later.

See above; the X/Y Pokemon decision was much later than other characters. Unless you honestly believe that Sakurai back in late 2012/early 2013 decided upon Greninja, who was completely unknown to the public and to him at the time? :rolleyes:

Now, if the informant DID know it was Greninja prior to the second leak, there's still the issue that GameFreak would be on his *** over leaking him, which you've seemed to ignore me saying. There is a substantially larger risk in leaking anything Pokemon related than any other of Nintendo's franchises. Enough of a risk that even sites like Serebii were threatened with C&Ds during B/W's release and people who got early copies of X/Y were forced to give them up.
Dude....you need to calm down. Jeez, some people really take everything so seriously on these boards....

Also, technically speaking Marshal did make a cameo outside of his franchise in a Puzzle Swap panel just as Wrestler did. (He is also in Munchy Monk and introduces the rules to the game so he is more than just Rhythm Test and Night Walk.)
I still doubt the leak and doubt that there will be an RH character at all but frankly at this point I would be fine with about any RH character....heck, even a stage and some trophies. We haven't seen anything in Smash from Rhythm Heaven yet.

D

Deleted member

Dude....you need to calm down. Jeez, some people really take everything so seriously on these boards....
Don't tell me, you're one of those people that thinks "long post = mad brah".
If you've actually read it, you'd see it's more descriptive than anything else.

Also, technically speaking Marshal did make a cameo outside of his franchise in a Puzzle Swap panel just as Wrestler did. (He is also in Munchy Monk and introduces the rules to the game so he is more than just Rhythm Test and Night Walk.)
Actually, that was a Chorus Kid in Munchy Monk. Round head and bow tie.
And.....Rhythm Test is where he explains the rules of the game.

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Guys, no need to argue. The leak being true or false are both possibilities. Let's focus on gathering support to increase his chances of being recognized and to open people's minds about a Rhythm Heaven representative. Now we should work on mock-movesets, recolorings and costumes, arguements, and other things for Louie G. to add to the main post. But first, it's safe to say that we need to all decide on one representative that we view as the most likely to make it in the roster.

Oh, and get some banners and maybe some profile images (if people want those) made.
Edit: Louie G., I just saw your post. Canonically Marshal has a sightly different head and blusned cheeks what the Chorus Men don't have but he would make sense in Smash just to add a specific character and "a face" to the group. The Chorus Men, Featuring Marshal!! And maybe add some easteregg appearneces by Cam and Miss Ribbons like in my alt colors, they all are very similar afterall, as if they are part of some alien Rhytm species. (Hope I didn't any wierd fan theories just now.)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If it were real I imagine Tsunku would appear among the list of companies at the end of the trailer. From what I saw, that's not the case. Also, I don't see why we'd have a newcomer trailer in which there's so little focus on the character actually, well, fighting.
to be fair thats most likely the character copy right list

Last edited:

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
to be fair thats most likely the character copy right list
And if I remember correctly, they didn't put Sega on that copyright list in the trailers until Sonic's reveal trailer. If they put in Tsunku's name in rightaway then it would spoil the reveal of a Rhyhm Heaven character or content. Plus they don't need his name there untl they start showing his content because they are not using it in the trailers.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Don't tell me, you're one of those people that thinks "long post = mad brah".
If you've actually read it, you'd see it's more descriptive than anything else.

Actually, that was a Chorus Kid in Munchy Monk. Round head and bow tie.
And.....Rhythm Test is where he explains the rules of the game.
Um no, maybe I was getting that vibe from the way it was typed and the swearing, eye roll and the fact that you insinuated that the guy ignored you? And I read the whole entire thing. It seemed to me you were typing angry. Maybe you weren't but it appears that way from my side of the spectrum. I apologize though.

You were right about the Chorus Kid in Munchy Monk... though what is up with the rosy cheeks? (I assumed this was a new design but they don't have them in Game and Wario...) . Finally, there is more to explaining the rules than just Rhythm Test...do you count the talking that precedes and comes after it? That wasn't entirely my point though anyways. I'd say he is the closest thing they have to a sort of mascot, no character has ever really introduced the game before. (I also note he closes the game after the cast call and appears on the Wii icon as seen below).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-sURcHccs

This is not entirely what I came for I just wanted to leave this here. I'm sure many of you know about this already:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Add me as a supporter. I am so ready for a Rhythm Heaven rep. I don't even really care who it is, I just want a music/rhythm based fighter.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
One argument I see against the Chorus Men's inclusion, especially in the Rate Their Chances thread, seems to be "Well, Sakurai is having trouble in making the Ice Climbers work on 3DS (Despite working out Rosalina, a similar character), how could a trio character work?", and to that I say, some people should think outside of the box.

The above seems to be what people think what the Chorus Men would be like, an Ice Climbers esque character where the other two Chorus Men follow the leader and can move and desynch independently. And to be honest, yes, this probably would be a little messy, to say the least. But whose to say Chorus Men would have to work like this?

My idea, instead, is for the Chorus Men to basically be one character that has the appearance of three characters, in a sense. They'd move as a singular unit, which I don't think would be that hard to program as much as having three individuals running around and it would also distinguish them from the Ice Climbers.

Morbi

Scavenger
One argument I see against the Chorus Men's inclusion, especially in the Rate Their Chances thread, seems to be "Well, Sakurai is having trouble in making the Ice Climbers work on 3DS (Despite working out Rosalina, a similar character), how could a trio character work?", and to that I say, some people should think outside of the box.

The above seems to be what people think what the Chorus Men would be like, an Ice Climbers esque character where the other two Chorus Men follow the leader and can move and desynch independently. And to be honest, yes, this probably would be a little messy, to say the least. But whose to say Chorus Men would have to work like this?

My idea, instead, is for the Chorus Men to basically be one character that has the appearance of three characters, in a sense. They'd move as a singular unit, which I don't think would be that hard to program as much as having three individuals running around and it would also distinguish them from the Ice Climbers.
So they wouldn't de-sync at all? If Fox shines in the middle of the models, they all fly in one direction? I am just trying to envision it.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I kept picturing them being bunched together as closely as possible in a triangle.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Maybe it's only one Choir boy you control and the other two appear out of nowhere to assist the player with the special moves.

I think the trio character argument is uncreative at best. Sakurai and co could easily work something out.

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman

My idea was that the one you control stays in the foreground while the others are in the background following you around and are untouchable. They only help with attacks. (Switching with like Down B would simply switch the Kid allowing for combos while the moveset stays completely the same.)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I decided to get Rhythm Heaven on the DS cheap from Tesco the other day.

The game is pretty unforgiving on first impression, maybe it's just because I've only started.

Playing the Glee Club first hand has only served to solidify my confusion at their potential inclusion. You just hold the stylus down to control whether he sings or not. That's literally all that happens. They don't seem particularly important or special.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm getting the impression that if they are playable, two of them will sing on a loop in the background while you control the third one.....and by "singing" in time with them the power of your attacks dramatically increase. Could be interesting if done right I suppose.

Strangely I've found I do better at Rhythm Heaven the less attention I'm paying it, just humming or dancing with the 3DS. Tell me I'm not the only one doing this? :p

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
They aren't, but they are the most well known out of all Rhythm Heaven characters.
Arguable. The wrestler is a meme, the samurai and karate joe make appearances in every game, and there's several games with Monkeys in it. Not to mention the box heads, the sergeant guy, the bunnies from Wario Ware, munchy monk, and perhaps others I may forget.

As for the DS game, I personally found it easy at first, but getting everything on perfect is a hellish struggle. Took me a while, and I still haven't achieved it on the Wii version.

D

Deleted member

So essentially like how Billy & Mandy and Mac & Bloo work in Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion (and its XL version).
Where they function as a single unit as opposed to two units like the Ice Climbers.

Best vid I could find of both pairs to show an example. Yeah, I know the game is of questionable quality, but the example still works, hopefully.

Weeginji

Smash Cadet
I suppose you could count me among the supporters. I support them in the sense that I don't have a problem with them and that I they think they would be one of the better options for a RH rep, but I'm not really for them either.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have a little confusion regarding their inclusion, would (hypothetically) Sakurai choose them aside from playstyle because of the how diverse the series is that makes Rhythm Heaven stand out from other Rhythm games?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Interesting. Well, I'll bite. Add me to the choir!

I also challenge someone to come up with a moveset... tricky tricky.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Love the idea of inspired characters. I'd rather have an interesting character roster over a roster of main characters and every side character in the franchise any day. That said, I'd have to play the game and get to know the memes to really get a feel for these guys.

Did you really want the Chorus Men in Smash BEFORE you heard about the leak?
Old post, but this kind of thinking isn't great. You should never push down an idea because it wasn't popular or thought of: all ideas are born unpopular and unthought of. Like Wii Fit Trainer.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
So essentially like how Billy & Mandy and Mac & Bloo work in Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion (and its XL version).
Where they function as a single unit as opposed to two units like the Ice Climbers.

Best vid I could find of both pairs to show an example. Yeah, I know the game is of questionable quality, but the example still works, hopefully.
I'm not trying to be a **** or anything, but if it's three character acting as one character then the Chorus Kids would be pretty much like everyone else. They would look very different, but that's about it. I would honestly rather them act like the Ice Climbers but with three members. Maybe there's another more unique option than either of those we aren't seeing. I'm hoping for that if they make it into Smash.

Question: Why are we assuming it would be trio? Is it from the game? Because the leak just said Chorus Men plural (I think), so that could just mean two. (Forgive my lack of knowledge on the series.)

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Okay, that's good to know. The concept is growing on me, as is their silly design.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd love to see the The Trash Men Chrous Men IF they aren't hand drawn and have adorable 3D models.

D

Deleted member

I'm not trying to be a **** or anything, but if it's three character acting as one character then the Chorus Kids would be pretty much like everyone else. They would look very different, but that's about it. I would honestly rather them act like the Ice Climbers but with three members. Maybe there's another more unique option than either of those we aren't seeing. I'm hoping for that if they make it into Smash.
If Sakurai is having issues with two fighters acting independently, three would cause even more problems.

It's easier to imagine the trio working simultaneously with each taking turns to strike.

Top Bottom