• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chinese Inn Monthly 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Chinese Inn Monthly #3

March 6, 2010

*NOTICE*
I'm doing this for the sake of having a change of pace in the Brawl community. This is by no means an official tournament; I'm doing this for casual gameplay and to have those who actually enjoy this game, to come and play and have fun with it, like it was made to be played. This is not the thread to come a flame or troll or make a big *** out of yourself because it won't be tolerated and I will report you. Make no mistake, I will accept comments by people who are going to say that having this rule set isn't their thing and they won't go as well as constructive criticism.

I also have this thread as reference to guide me through this process and will do my best to make this new thing enjoyable.

Chinese Inn
9449 Airline Hwy.
Baton Rouge, LA
Doors open at 11 a.m. and registration begins
Tournament starts at 12
$5 entry fee

Chinese Inn Monthly

Stages
Neutral
Battlefield
Final Destination

Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Delfino Plaza
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick:
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Pictochat

Banned:
the rest

General Information
-3 stocks; 7 minutes
-1v1; Best 2/3; All Finals 3/5 (Time permitting)
-Bring Your Own Controller
-Advanced Slob Picks
-Stage Striking for first pick or players may agree on a stage or random
-Stage Bans: Each player may ban one stage after stage striking occurs
-Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: A player/ team may not pick a stage that he won on previously in a set
-No infinites past 300%
-Ledge grab limit is 50
-No tripping/ infinite replay codes allowed; nothing else
-All items off except for ones allowed;items on MED

Items
Warp Star
Mr. Saturn
Lip's Stick
Fire Flower
Motion Sensor Bomb
Soccer Ball
Sticky Bomb
Franklin Badge

Set-ups:
Bomber- Wii, Brawl, TV, table, extension cord(if needed), power strip

Hyro

Smash Lord
....wat

ummm can we have like a side tournament...where it's normal? they tried ISP at Whobo...not fun at all...gf ended up turning off items too.

I'ma pass for now, just isn't my thing

Turazrok

Smash Master
If you do this... I don't know how well it'll work. I'll come and help out, but I can't guarantee people will come. On the flip side I may be able to convince some local noobs to enter.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Couple things.

First off, looks like someone was reading a little too much of the MK discussion. You're gonna take him out AND put items on? Either you were high when you made that, or you decided to put too much **** in the same tourny. It's sort of an either/or thing. But you're the TO, so what the **** ever.

Also, for the last ****in time, it's extension CORD, not extension chord.

Edit: If the PR folk don't come, that oughtta be perfect incentive for everyone else to show up. That should be easy money. Of course, once that secret's out, the PR folk might show up to take money, since that'd be a **** good reason to head to something like this. Get a headcount, that'd be ballin.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
might take into consideration of doing a "normal" singles as side event, other than that deal with it; if you don't like the rules, then don't come.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Let's not forget Evo 2k8, with Smash Balls on.

You only turned on 8 items, and half of them are explosives/can kill. I can't seem to take this seriously for some reason. It doesn't seem like much changed, just the fact we gotta worry about these items getting in the way.

AND you banned MK? I don't get it. It's not like we have some sort of abundance of MK's.

If these rules stand, no thanks.

EDIT: Usually change comes when the people want/ask for it. No one has complained about MK or wanting items. This would be a great way to introduce completely new people, but that's about it.

Hyro

Smash Lord
^that.

It's just...we play competitive brawl...as of now, MK banned tournies/items don't count for anything results wise. The side event should be items...but more than likely, if people had a choice for a side event, they STILL wouldn't choose items. Chinese Monthlies are too good, why fix something that's not broken...experiments like this stopped happening in 08, it's 2010 now, we know how we like to play.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Let's not forget Evo 2k8, with Smash Balls on.

You only turned on 8 items, and half of them are explosives/can kill. I can't seem to take this seriously for some reason. It doesn't seem like much changed, just the fact we gotta worry about these items getting in the way.

AND you banned MK? I don't get it. It's not like we have some sort of abundance of MK's.

If these rules stand, no thanks.

EDIT: Usually change comes when the people want/ask for it. No one has complained about MK or wanting items. This would be a great way to introduce completely new people, but that's about it.
This isn't supposed to be taken seriously. It's just a casual tournament. And even though we don't have a Metaknight problem, it shouldn't matter to y'all whether someone decides to ban him or not. All of these items can be avoided as long as you aren't stupid and walk right into them.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I got no problem with the item list except for soccer ball. Sticky bombs, motion sensors, and warp stars take a little thinkin. Approaches change, position changes, etc. Especially like the Franklin Badge, cuz **** campers. Fire Flower and Mr. Saturn don't really change much (sorta), and items on Medium ain't bad. The New Roads folk usually play on High.

If both are there, it shouldn't change anything.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I got no problem with the item list except for soccer ball. Sticky bombs, motion sensors, and warp stars take a little thinkin. Approaches change, position changes, etc. Especially like the Franklin Badge, cuz **** campers. Fire Flower and Mr. Saturn don't really change much (sorta), and items on Medium ain't bad. The New Roads folk usually play on High.
soccer ball I thought would add some hype in some way which is why I chose it, so I'm going to see how it works out. And basically you listed all my reasons for choosing each item. lol I did have beam sword though after going through some test runs, realized it wasn't a good choice.

Turazrok

Smash Master
soccer ball I thought would add some hype in some way which is why I chose it, so I'm going to see how it works out. And basically you listed all my reasons for choosing each item. lol I did have beam sword though after going through some test runs, realized it wasn't a good choice.
Lol beam sword no. So broken to beat unless you have a solid projectile.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Lol beam sword no. So broken to beat unless you have a solid projectile.
yeah, good thing I took it out. Beam sword is like the extender, you cant even get close and the throwing range on that thing is too much. >_>:psycho:

Curlz

Smash Lord
Experiencing is a good idea, but not as a main event. I'm sorry to say that I'm not gonna be attending this. Good luck with this though.

bsltiger

Smash Cadet
Eh, not to excited. Maybe it'll give me a better chance of winning? Lolol, games club noobs might take interest as none play mk. But they're noobs, so idk.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Eh, not to excited. Maybe it'll give me a better chance of winning? Lolol, games club noobs might take interest as none play mk. But they're noobs, so idk.
My idea. I posted it on FB already.

'V'

Smash Lord
Bomber, if you're looking to do ISP, then you should take a look at this thread first and look at the ruleset, it should definitely prove useful as I've run one of these before. Some of your items are questionable, especially if they're set on Medium. Banning Meta Knight is your thing, so I'll leave that up to you.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164675

This is the Official Item Standard Play ruleset and items list in which the team has researched and tested for many months, and it's quite efficient. There's even a different item list for Teams as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or anyone on that thread. It's actually good to watch too. If you actually decide to go through with it, I might actually come and enjoy myself this time. I might even throw one of these for the next Gameware Monthly.

It helps to have reference sheets as well for this, because people will forget stuff A LOT.

HOORAY FOR SOMEONE ACTUALLY TRYING SOMETHING NEW FOR A CHANGE!!! =D

Turazrok

Smash Master
If you wanted to do something different, more people would've probably been open to BB or B+.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Looking at what they recommended, I didn't do half bad. There's only like 2 items on their list that I have that isn't considered neutral. (lol at beam sword which I used to have). Thank's V, When I made the rule set, it was without having access to that thread but like I said earlier, I didn't do half bad; I was on the right track. We got a good few weeks until the tourny so I'll probably have some minor adjustments to it, adding some items and getting rid of some.

'V'

Smash Lord
Yeah the soccer ball is the only thing that stands out to me, but either player can use it to their advantage if they have the stage control, so we'll see where that goes. Otherwise it looks good to me.

I can bring a TV and whatever other games people wanna play. I have no Brawl data or game, but people are welcome to use that TV.

I have a powerstrip as well.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Just for this first time, I'm going to keep the soccer ball and if it's a big deal then either during the tourny I will just have them turned off or next time I do this (don't know when) I just wont have them.

Also to other people; I will still have regular brawl tournies, it's just for this month I feel like having a change of pace. April will definitely be back to normal (or I'll do bi monthlies with brawl regular - Brawl ISP and then have Melee as a Brawl ISP alternative yet since I just thought of this, it will take time to work out. For now we move on with Brawl ISP for this tournament) .

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I don't care about the ruleset, I'll still be there. Who knows, maybe someone will bring a good fighting game like TvC. I'm just starting to think screw all of it and not have to deal with running tourneys or doing anything Brawl-related. Sure I'll play from time to time, but the spark just isn't there anymore and then all the other consoles are getting good ****, whereas the Wii occasionally pulls something out of its ***. There shouldn't be a problem with MK being banned, no one here ****in uses him, so why complain. The items listed are pretty much neutral, and it's just like avoiding hazards even some of the legal stages appear to have. Quit complaining and actually give it a try, it's new.

On another note, getcho mutha ****in Saints shirts, pplz.

'V'

Smash Lord
Word, Nitez. And I've got a copy of TvC that I can bring if people wanna play that.

Just one more quick question, Bomber. Are you just gonna leave that neutral list of items on for all of the rounds? That's what I did for that one random Late Night tourney that Nick and I ran that one time and people seemed to like it. Or were you thinking of doing any CP items?

Lee, Roni, Freddy, Ken, Curlz, and Batto all use Meta Knight actually. Maybe not all of the time, but they all do use him.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Word, Nitez. And I've got a copy of TvC that I can bring if people wanna play that.

Just one more quick question, Bomber. Are you just gonna leave that neutral list of items on for all of the rounds? That's what I did for that one random Late Night tourney that Nick and I ran that one time and people seemed to like it. Or were you thinking of doing any CP items?

Lee, Roni, Freddy, Ken, Curlz, and Batto all use Meta Knight actually. Maybe not all of the time, but they all do use him.
Yeah, I'm not going to bother with CP items for right now. Also for the people listed above I have to say this:

Lee- has moved on to bigger an better things I'm sure in his smash life playing people that are actually on his skill level
Roni and Freddy- they play MK casually and still do well with falco and Marth
Ken- ??????
Curlz-from observation, plays MK the least because he plays so many other characters (I think ROB now most commonly?) plus he's in laffy and coming to BR seems to be out of the way for him.
Batto- MK casual, I still see him play marth sometimes.

but if it makes that big of a difference, I'll consider lifting the ban, though it will be a last minute decision.

'V'

Smash Lord
Yeah most people wouldn't have much of a problem with it regardless because they have many other characters to play with, so I don't think you have to worry about it, I was just saying.

Carry on.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
Mk should not be banned. We do NOT have a mk problem whatsoever.

All the mks players listed above wont come if he's banned. Why take the fun out of all those people. The only **** mk is me anyway. If anything ban ME from using mk but let everybody else use him, idc.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
It's obvious it makes a big deal whether or not he's banned so I lifted the ban. Not like it really matters to me anyhow. My mistake for banning him.

Curlz

Smash Lord
You know, now that I think of it, this could be good practice for Whobo. There is an ISP tournament there an I actually plan to enter.

I'll try to convince Laffy to come to this.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
/Whistle.

I didn't read Meta's post. I was wondering why ADHD would go to ****in Chinese Inn for a item tourney.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
IS this going to have a doubles side event after with the same rules? That'd be too fun.
I know TvC will be there and there seems to be alot of hype for it and I'm expecting more people to be drawn to that than the actual tournament itself, however time permitting and given enough participants, I don't see why not.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Awesome, because having doubles is probably the only way I could convince Ken to make it. He thinks Double MK with items is too fun to pass up.

Ken is my ride unless my parents are out of town. If that's the case I'll just drive there myself.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'll probably come unless something just happens to pop up. I'm not too thrilled with the items though, but can we have a "normal" singles event too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom