• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chinese Inn Monthly #2

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Chinese Inn Monthly #2

January 16th, 2010

Chinese Inn
9449 Airline Hwy.
Baton Rouge, LA
Doors open at 11 a.m. and registration begins
Tournament starts at 12
$5 entry fee

Louisiana General Brawl Ruleset

-3 stock; 7:00 (ties by percent/stock)
-Team attack on
-1v1; all items off and set to none; Best 2/3; All finals 3/5 (Time permitting)
-Bring your own controller (and stool/chair if you want one)
-Advanced slob picks
-Stage striking for first pick (players may agree on a stage or random)
-Stage bans: each player may ban one stage after stage striking occurs
-Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: a player/ team may not pick a stage that he won on previously in a set
-Don't load through Homebrew without talking to the TO first!
-Metaknight's Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned

STAGE STRIKING:

We will use STAGE STRIKING to start the set, not random, unless both players agree. Basically, Player A chooses one stage from the Starter list that he doesn't want to play. Player B picks a stage he doesn't want from the remaining list. Players A & B alternate until only one stage is left. This is the stage for the first match.

Stage List:

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counterpick

Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Rainbow Cruise

Corneria (Teams Only)

Banned

The rest

Basic Info:
-NO outside food or drink or illegal substances (guys this is a restaurant they got food and stuff you can buy only a few steps away)
-The address has been posted and I put in a link to google maps. The restaurant is pinpointed on the map for you. If you aren't familiar with the area, play around with the map, they got google earth views on it too so you can see the surrounding area. Also click on the Chinese Inn if you don't know what the place looks like.

-Do not, I repeat, do not pay in coins! I seriously won't accept any payments in full coins, I can understand if you play maybe 1 or 2 dollars with quarters, but don't come up to me and expect to count 20 quarters, because I will either laugh at you, or throw the quarters at YOUR FACE. It can cause confusion and problems with the pot especially if they are dropped or misplaced.

You are responsible for knowing these rules, if you mess up and break them, TOO BAD.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

After talking with Bomber and looking at the responses from a few smashers, we decided to have this tournament on MLK weekend rather than the Monday, since it is better for everyone's schedule. As of right now, we're going to need people to bring tables as well as set-ups, I don't usually worry too much about set-ups since I know people will bring them , but even if you want to post that you're bringing something you can.

As for a Melee set-up(for those who love Melee), I don't mind having a Melee set-up seeing as last time we were able to fit one and made good timing considering that we did both singles and doubles. Seeing as how we've had time after singles to do doubles or side events, I want to give more choices in the side events category and I want to have a majority vote on what people want to do. Please note that the entry fees for the Low Tier and Random events will be lower than doubles, unless we all agree to increase it to $5.

Votes
Doubles-
Low Tier Doubles-5
Low Tier Singles-0
Random Doubles-0
Random Singles-2

Turazrok

Smash Master
I will once again take up the role of bringer of melee if I go.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'll most likely be coming. Gotta take care of my MMs before I go back to Texas!

I vote low tier singles. I can also bring 2 powerstrips if necessary.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I have plans for that weekend so you are going to have to run this tourny by yourself. Just ask Randal if you can borrow his laptop. Also make sure that you put emphasis on people bringing tables; if you got one, bring it! Also David has made it quite clear that as long as everyone gets something to eat after the tournament, they are ok with getting no money from the pot; though that isn't a problem seeing as a good chunk of us go and eat afterwards. If plans change, I might come.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I should be at this with my 2 TVs, Wii, and power strip.

Zigsta, would you have room for one more MM?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Sounds good to me, Randall.

elev8, last time we had 17 entrants for Brawl.

BSP

Smash Legend
I should be able to come...I have to ask first :/ And if I do, I'm getting more friendlies or something. Online gets annoying.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Two Sonics at one tournament? Holy cow, that must be a record or something.

Blaise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1078-3265
I vote ssb64 for side event. If thats not possible then melee. If thats not possible then brawl+ (Near Gold Version). If thats not possible then Street Fighter 4. If thats not possible then my final vote is brawl random singles.

bsltiger

Smash Cadet
not sure if i can go, but it doesnt look good for me. there is an ultimate tournament that day, if im not mistaken.

I vote ssb64 for side event. If thats not possible then melee. If thats not possible then brawl+ (Near Gold Version). If thats not possible then Street Fighter 4. If thats not possible then my final vote is brawl random singles.
if i can go, ill be bringing melee, brawl+ NG, along with the regular stuff. random singles is my vote, but dont count it just yet.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm gonna change my vote to low tier teams.

Me and Blaine got this.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
You guys do know it's a Brawl tournament, right? It's why the voting categories are a Brawl-related categories. We're nice enough to give you a Melee set-up, don't push it. Maybe one of these monthlies, we'll do a SSB64 or Melee tourney, with Brawl set-ups on the side or how about I guarantee/promise it. You guys name a date that everyone can agree on and we'll make it happen, but for now can I ask that you guys please choose a Brawl related vote.

Blaise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1078-3265
Fine, brawl low tier single for me I suppose. If dubs end up winning I'll team with your Ganon if you want Jnig, I play PT and Ganon

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm curious about Sonic being considered low tier as well. Is he?

Unless something comes up, I should be able to make it. IDK what to vote for for the side event, I focus on Brawl the most.

Curlz

Smash Lord
If I can make it I vote low tier doubles. Randall, I team with your Ness with my Lucas if I make it.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Curlz, maybe. I'd like to see who else might want to team before making a decision.

Here are some of the lower tiers:

C: Peach, Luigi, Fox, Wolf, Sonic, Sheik
D: Bowser, Zelda, Pokémon Trainer, Ike
E: Lucas, Mario, Ness, Yoshi, Samus
F: Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Link, Ganondorf

To my knowledge, there isn't a universal low tier group. I think C is too high to be considered a "low" tier, though a tournament running C and below could certainly work. DEF is the bottom 35% of the list (13/37 characters). EF is about 25% of the character list. CDEF would be about half the list, so I don't think it includes any "high" tiers. Any of these could work (even just F), and it's ultimately up to NiTEZ to decide what to do.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I haven't been to a tournament yet where C tier's been included in low tiers. I've heard it discussed before, but I agree with Randall in saying that C tier's too high for low tier play.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I do agree that C is too high, but is anyone against making an exception for Sonic and Sheik, seeing as how 2 people here main Sonic, he and Shiek is on the lower part of C, and Shiek is a part of Zelda who's in the lower tier.

bsltiger

Smash Cadet
If you take any from C, split it in half. Taking only sonic and sheik is not cool, since wolf is the one right above them, and then luigi two above them. Otherwise.... I CHOOSE IKE!

Curlz

Smash Lord
I say DEF. The point of Low Tier is to pick people you normally don't play as. If you make an exception so people can play as their main, it won't be fun because they would **** with their main while others are stuck with Low Tiers.

My vote goes to DEF.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
The only reason Sonic is getting into question is because some states on the east coast (and Texas has experimented with it) have allowed Sonic to be low tier. Some people still think Sonic's low tier.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
zigsta is right, most tourneys are EF or DEF and rarely, tourneys on the EC go sonic +DEF because some people disagree with the character being not-low tier

and now regardless i vote for low tier singles.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Then I guess we'll just do DEF.

Also, excuse me if I'm not exactly there at 11, I will be having a Formal to go to the night before this and I won't be back at home until after 12.

Blaise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1078-3265
I'll team with you Randall. If we're as good as our melee 2v2 we should be alright. Also I agree with C being too high, I'd pick Fox SO fast.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Alrighty, so these are the MMs I got:

$5 vs. Cyphus's DK
$5 vs. FakeGeorge's GW
$5 vs. Arcadia's Ike
$5 vs. Blaise's PT (random starter)

bsltiger

Smash Cadet
im just sayin, either the bottom half of C or no C at all. i dont think its fair to make the exception when the people asking for it main them. ill find out what it is when i get there if i go.

Top Bottom