• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chimp Charts: The Diddy Kong Matchup Thread - Seeking New Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Welcome to the Diddy Kong matchup thread, with all the information you'll need to know to tackle each character on the roster. Can't figure out where your banana needs to be? Need the best approach? Here from another board, looking to figure out how to slap that screeching simian? Or are you just looking for the perfect hoo-hah setup on that one character? We've got you covered.

Also, as customs are being allowed at EVO and more, please discuss those if you have experience with them. While Diddy's customs may not be the most useful by comparison, many other characters's customs are gamechangers matchup-wise, and if they're going to be legal, it'd be prudent to make sure they're discussed as well.

For that reason, please specify Customs-On or Customs-Off, or C-N and C-F for short.
Currently, we're discussing: Ownership Changes

Matchup Database:
:4bowser:
:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:
:4falcon:
:4charizard:
:4darkpit:
:4dk:
:4drmario:
:4duckhunt:
:4falco:
:4fox:
:4ganondorf:
:4gaw:
:4greninja:
:4myfriends:
:4jigglypuff:
:4dedede:
Relevant Posts
SalsaSavant
MioTinto
:4kirby:
:4littlemac:
:4link:
Relevant Posts
RedBeefBaron: 1 2 3
FSK: 1 2 3
:4lucario:
:4lucas:
:4lucina:
:4luigi:
Relevant Posts
Dre89: 1 2
TriTails: 1 2
Mx|Edd
:4mario:
:4marth:
:4metaknight:
:4mewtwo:
:4miibrawl:
:4miigun:
:4miisword:
:4ness:
:4olimar::4alph:
:4palutena:
:4pacman:
:4peach:
:4pikachu:
:4rob:
:4robinm::4robinf:
:rosalina:
:4feroy:
:4ryu:
:4samus:
:4sheik:
:4shulk:
:4sonic:
:4tlink:
:4villager::4villagerf:
:4wario::4wario2:
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:
:4yoshi:
:4zelda:
:4zss:

Last edited:

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
With sonic the placement of the banana is a big deal. If you force him to jump at you to get you, shield grab, dthrow, combo.

diddy uair is fast enough to win trades in the air.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
I've been getting bodied by Marios lately. Now it might just be that the subset of Smashers that play Mario is very small and hence quite good - but he doesn't seem to have many weaknesses that Diddy can punish. His fireballs beat peanuts. His roll, shield and jab are all very quick - making banana punishes rare. His smashes outrange Diddy's and he has ridiculous priority on his usmash. To top it all off his dash attack is ridic and so hard to punish for me.

Maybe it's the slipperiness of the 3DS controls, but I can never seem to control Diddy as well against a Mario. He puts a strange pressure on me. It's not as overbearing as Sanic or Sheik - but he will often make me think about EVERY single move I make. He can punish so much so easily.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I've been getting bodied by Marios lately. Now it might just be that the subset of Smashers that play Mario is very small and hence quite good - but he doesn't seem to have many weaknesses that Diddy can punish. His fireballs beat peanuts. His roll, shield and jab are all very quick - making banana punishes rare. His smashes outrange Diddy's and he has ridiculous priority on his usmash. To top it all off his dash attack is ridic and so hard to punish for me.

Maybe it's the slipperiness of the 3DS controls, but I can never seem to control Diddy as well against a Mario. He puts a strange pressure on me. It's not as overbearing as Sanic or Sheik - but he will often make me think about EVERY single move I make. He can punish so much so easily.
I can agree with Mario being very hard but I don't think it's a bad match-up. We have a couple good advantages against him though. We're a much faster character and we have much better range. If we don't let him get too close to us, he can't do much. But if he gets close, he racks up damage very fast. Also if he gets us offstage, he has really strong options vs our recovery, very dangerous position. Despite all that, I think our range and speed makes it too hard for him to get on us like that.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Seeing as no one has put this one out there yet..... I get bodied by any half decent rosalina with diddy. I find it really hard to approach her because of luma. Bananas are harder to use against her because of gravity, and when u grab her to get your dthrow combos off, luma punches you in the face.

I know we have a massive speed advantage against her, so I try to get in there and keep the pressure on all match, but i'm still finding it really tough since luma shuts down most of the regular approach options

wildvine47

Smash Ace
From my experience with it, Diddy's Side-B 1 and 2 are pretty good in the Rosalina matchup. If you don't kick out of Side-B 1 (the standard one), you can jump past Luma directly onto Ros's face, and then do a grab finisher there which will also hit Luma, getting them out of the way and leaving Ros without that tool for a few seconds. Alternatively Side-B 2, which is the divekick, is very fast and usually unexpected, and you can use it to either A) hop right over and past Luma to Rosalina or B) Dive right through Luma and continue into Ros. I've had more success with Side-B 2 in personal matches, but in For Glory Side-B 1 helps, despite it being more risky.

As for bananas, Gravity Pull does make them a pain to use. I find it better to hold onto bananas and punish whiffs rather than try and catch her off guard with them, as GP comes out so fast and most Rosalina mains will have it out on muscle memory. A strat I used on a GP-friendly Rosalina to varying success is to have a banana on hand, bait out a GP with peanuts, and then toss the banana at her on GP's cooldown. It's small but it's there. Hope some of that helps.

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Make sure you pick the largest stage available uness you're against a projectile spammer in which case you want a smaller stage.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
If you get offstage vs Mario, recover high if you're worried about your ability to dodge gimps. It's not perfect, but his aerial options aren't very good and you get more horizontal speed than him in the air via monkey flip. Your kick also out prioritizes most of his abilities iirc. Oh, and Mario as a whole is a simple matchup once learned. Hold a banana but don't use it unless he's likely to be hit or in the air, bait the cape and then monkeyflip, grab, whatever. Get him off stage and forward air all day.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
So, with changes in the 1.0.4 patch, is anyone finding any matches to be easier/harder?

Personally I've found Rosalina's numerous nerfs have made her quite a bit easier to deal with, especially with here added lag and higher kill percents, whereas Sonic getting nothing but buffs is troubling for IMO an already bad matchup. :/

InBOUNDHD

Smash Cadet
I don't do so well against projectile-based characters, mainly because my playstyle with diddy is utilizing his popgun and bananas to create space and to control the stage. But when I am up against characters that can outrange me and have stonger projectiles that rip through my poor pop gun, i feel pressured to approach.

Wizdewdle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wizdewdle
3DS FC
5215-0132-9295
After seeing that nobody had really made this yet, I figured we here at the Diddy boards could use a hub to discuss his matchups, for better or for worse.

So, which matchups do you think Diddy has the best time with? Which ones are the worst for our manic monkey main?

Personally, I've been having a rough time with the Sonic matchup. He got some really good buffs to launching power, his speed makes him really unpredictable and difficult to catch offguard, and his spring and other gimping tools are shutting down my recovery hardcore. The nerf to naners didn't help either, because now he can approach that much more confidently. Anyone else having issues with Sonic? And what are your tips for dealing with him?
To be completely honest, the only difficult matchups for me are Link, Toon Link, Duck hunt dog and Rob. The projectile users. Link and Toon link's bombs can mess up your combos and they don't always get hit by your popgun. An aggresive player like me will also have trouble against other Diddy's because they can punish my grabs and side b's and punish with a grab or banana toss. DHD and Rob are just a minigame. "Try to get to them without taking too much damage, then hit them. If you don't hit them and let them hit you or run away, you lose."

nerrof

Smash Rookie
I'm having a lot of trouble with Villager, especially ones who love to perma-pocket bananas. The match becomes about 5 times harder once he pockets your banana and never lets it go. About the only thing I can do is try to punish when Villager tries to re-pocket the banana to reset the pocket timer. But a smart Villager will only do this when off stage or otherwise too far away to reach.

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
I'm having a lot of trouble with Villager, especially ones who love to perma-pocket bananas. The match becomes about 5 times harder once he pockets your banana and never lets it go. About the only thing I can do is try to punish when Villager tries to re-pocket the banana to reset the pocket timer. But a smart Villager will only do this when off stage or otherwise too far away to reach.
Don't throw your banana at them. Hold on to it and sideB a lot, kick if you see sideB as it will go through Lloid Rocket without hurting you and they're likely expecting you to throw the banana. Throw the banana at them when they're off-stage or you think you've held on to it long enough that they won't expect it. You can also item tilt with crouch + forward on the cstick, which is great if you're betting they try to pocket when you're close with banana in hand. Also, another great option is to throw the banana up or down and then go in for a grab/punish.

nerrof

Smash Rookie
Don't throw your banana at them. Hold on to it and sideB a lot, kick if you see sideB as it will go through Lloid Rocket without hurting you and they're likely expecting you to throw the banana. Throw the banana at them when they're off-stage or you think you've held on to it long enough that they won't expect it. You can also item tilt with crouch + forward on the cstick, which is great if you're betting they try to pocket when you're close with banana in hand. Also, another great option is to throw the banana up or down and then go in for a grab/punish.
Great advice, thanks! Unfortunately i'm stuck on 3DS for the moment since I can't afford a Wii U yet, so I don't have a c-stick to use.

About the side-B kick through Lloid Rocket...I've tried that before, it's strange about whether it beats the rocket or not. Sometimes the kick will destroy the rocket and hit Villager, sometimes the rocket beats it out. Might just be my timing though.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Great advice, thanks! Unfortunately i'm stuck on 3DS for the moment since I can't afford a Wii U yet, so I don't have a c-stick to use.

About the side-B kick through Lloid Rocket...I've tried that before, it's strange about whether it beats the rocket or not. Sometimes the kick will destroy the rocket and hit Villager, sometimes the rocket beats it out. Might just be my timing though.
Maybe, might need a sweet spot.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hallo guys, Swordfighter main here. I wanted to know your opinions of Mii Swordfighter. I think that this MU might be even despite Diddy being perceived as best and Swordfighter as worst. Swordfighter has the tools to not care about peanuts and maybe bananas and has D-air to gimp and n-air against Diddy's Rocketbarrel, but at the same time Diddy is Diddy and can steamroll Swordfighter when he's in advantage.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Been a while since I've been in here. Almost forgot I'd made this after getting distracted by finals, classes and holidays end of November. Figured now was as good a time as any to bump this thing up a bit, get some discussion rolling.

Anyhow, since our champ chimp came to be recognized as king of the jungle/tiers, does anyone have any opinions on what some of Diddy's worst/most difficult matchups are? Maybe providing a bit of insight as to what makes Diddy's life difficult will help the complaining about him subside, and lead to less salt in general.

Personally, gimp heavy characters like Sonic (who continues to be probably my worst matchup) and Metaknight are a huge headache, as Diddy is especially susceptible to gimping when recovering low (where characters like Sonic and Meta are very good at sending you) thanks to rocketbarrel detaching.

Also had a nasty set of matches against a Koopalings player who had very good timing with dropping clown car bombs on me with abandon ship whilst I was recovering. The stocks I lost to that thing...

Last edited:

Tripswag

Smash Cadet
I guess I can help out a bit with the Sonic matchup. I won't say that I'm an expert, but I can offer what is hopefully some helpful insight.

First of all, over time that I've spent playing Sonic, I've come to prioritize a few things:
1. Stay on the stage. Don't try to make flashy gimps, don't try to chase offstage. Just stay on.
As wildvine mentioned, Sonic is able to gimp Diddy VERY easily. The amount of stupid SD's I've made against Sonic mains is incredible, and I can attribute most of them to just getting greedy.

2. Keep a banana out at all times and either in hand or in front of you.
Though this seems very simplistic, it actually throws Sonic players that haven't experienced it quite yet for a loop. Their options suddenly become limited. They can't just spindash toward you, as the banana will stop it and you will immediately be able to punish. Their options become either dash attacking over it to pick it up (punishable by a shield/grab), an aerial or a jump spindash (punished by properly spaced aerials), or running up and rolling behind the banana and usually, by extension, you (punishable by proper roll punishes).

3. Use and abuse the monkey flip - grab
With banana in hand, your opponent will become defensive. Running up and Side B'ing is usually pretty free.

These are the main things to keep in mind. The banana will work to limit your opponent's options, and from there you have to adequately be able to punish what they throw out.

Best of luck! I'll include a video of me playing against a Sonic in tournament. Feel free to offer any feedback also. :p

Last edited:

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Sheik advice? Have yet to find a consistent style for beating her and her offstage game is scaaary!

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Sheik advice? Have yet to find a consistent style for beating her and her offstage game is scaaary!
My friend plays Sheik so we do this matchup a lot, and its pretty fun. Sheik is light so the KO on UpAir is earlier than on other characters, but I guess that also makes her harder to combo. I find that when recovering, Monkey Flip + Kick is your best way to go, as Sheik doesn't have THAT many options for it aside from Bouncing Fish. Also, don't bother with the peanuts here, Needles laughs at them.

But thats just basic stuff. I too would like some more concrete info on beating Sheik with Diddy

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
i need help for zelda she does teleport it kills me very early... other problems she gives me is reflector and her very good d throw

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Only characters I find to be particularly bad are the Links, can never find a way inside and once you manage to get up close they`ll d-smash, or spam ten spot dodges in a row and then roll away. The sword is broken powerful and outreachs everything Diddy has and Link`s projectiles trump the peanuts and bananas.

Someone please.

i need help for zelda she does teleport it kills me very early... other problems she gives me is reflector and her very good d throw
Zelda problems in general. Every Zelda player is utter defense, as with many characters since it's the nature of this game.

As soon as you see her start that warp, shield. When you move in they're probably going to hit their Naryu's Love or short hop it or something, so you've pretty much gotta get close enough they think they can activate it, but far enough not to get hit, but also close enough to move in in time afterwards. Or just shield. Overall you're never going to have a Zelda match that is not tedious and annoying, but at least you can hopefully win before never playing them again.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyone have experience with the Pikachu matchup?
A little. It's extremely hard to land Side B on Pikachu due to his small size. Peanuts also aren't nearly as effective, and Thunder Jolt can mess up your ground approaches. Approach from the air, but be aware of Thunder, which should be logical vs Pikachu. A banana in hand can really make your life easier, as Pikachu doesn't like to get hit. Quick Attack can mess with Diddy to, but always be aware to shield it and try to counter with a banana whenever possible. Be wary of off-stage Thunders as well. Those will gimp us hard, as well as U Air. Try to go for the ledge when you recover with Side B.

I even think this matchup might be even.

Last edited:

Swanky_

Smash Cadet
I struggle most with Pikachu, Sheik and Luigi. Does anyone have match up tips for these guys?

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
While Diddy's gameplan is very effective and simple to perform if you are capable of getting your own way I think there are a few characters who are a pain in the arse to steamroll. They're probably even matchups but require you to think, contrary to popular belief. Right now I have trouble being braindead against Rosalina, Pikachu, Sonic and ****ing Toon Link yo (Shoutouts to Yackabean). I used to think that Jigglypuff would beat him on like day 1 but his new aerials make it look like in his favour. Sheik's gimp game can be problematic for Diddy but otherwise it seems fine to me. I have no ZSS experience really.

We should get some discussions going yo, really grind these matchups down (throw up air).

Hallo guys, Swordfighter main here. I wanted to know your opinions of Mii Swordfighter. I think that this MU might be even despite Diddy being perceived as best and Swordfighter as worst. Swordfighter has the tools to not care about peanuts and maybe bananas and has D-air to gimp and n-air against Diddy's Rocketbarrel, but at the same time Diddy is Diddy and can steamroll Swordfighter when he's in advantage.
I have not thought about the capabilities of the Mii characters due to them not being legal in anything I've entered. I probably should see them as an option but they just seem to be banned everywhere.

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
I had a lot of trouble with Little Macs when I went to APEX. Advice on the Mac matchup?
Shield and roll everything unless KO punch is active, keep pulling bananas, don't land near him, sideB a lot.

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
At the moment, no - not really. I am yet to play a good Ike though so I have no real impression on the MU.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Hey Diddy Boards, we in the Little Mac boards are trying to go over the Diddy Kong matchup and would appriciate any input yall may have on this matchup. Please, drop by if you can.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Vs Mac is interessting, cause getting ground control isn't as easy as with other characters. Despite our speed advantage, Little Mac has crazy priority, and we don't like taking hits from you. From the air we beat you though, real badly. Our Side B messes you up as well, but Mac has his ways around it. Not easy ways, you'll have to work hard but maintaining oressure and stage control should be top priority for Mac. Bananas can ruin your day, so apply pressure as much as you can. Diddy has this with 6-4 I'd think.

Swanky_

Smash Cadet
Do you guys know if Luigi down throw -> fair -> fair is guaranteed on us at low percents? Playing with 1 Luigi the night before a tourney I could always up air before he followed up the second fair, but in bracket the next day, a Luigi got me with 2 fairs every time. Just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure so I can approach the situation appropriately in the future.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Do you guys know if Luigi down throw -> fair -> fair is guaranteed on us at low percents? Playing with 1 Luigi the night before a tourney I could always up air before he followed up the second fair, but in bracket the next day, a Luigi got me with 2 fairs every time. Just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure so I can approach the situation appropriately in the future.
IIRC it's not a true combo on anyone, I'm not sure how much time you have to act but proper DI + uair/jump/airdodge will serve you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom