• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chimp Charts: The Diddy Kong Matchup Thread - Seeking New Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Hi, guys. What do you guys think about the Cloud MU? I have such a hard time fighting him. Part of it is because I am just not good at fighting Clouds. I find him really hard to fight in general. The other part is that I don't know the MU. How should I play against a Cloud? Thanks. :)

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Hi, guys. What do you guys think about the Cloud MU? I have such a hard time fighting him. Part of it is because I am just not good at fighting Clouds. I find him really hard to fight in general. The other part is that I don't know the MU. How should I play against a Cloud? Thanks. :)
The most important thing in this matchup is just learning cloud-specific things, eg. don't try to punish his autocancelled aerials on shield (uair/dair), instead try moving away and counter hitting him, same goes for cross slash (AND DONT CHALLENGE LIMIT CROSS SLASH). Try to dair (or banana -> dair) his recovery as he can't really snap to the ledge. Make sure to jump and/or monkey flip away when you're above him so you don't get uaired, etc. That sort of stuff.

Diddy specific things IMO is just try to have a banana in hand a lot of the time (remember swordie > brawler but banana > swordie) and use fair to beat his options before their hitboxes come out if you can. Try to take him to FD or maybe Lylat so he can't charge limit for free, although his juggles on Lylat will be pretty powerful.

This set is worth watching if you can stand the commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8a-M-OHENA

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Thanks for the help, Pazx Pazx . :) I will watch the video later (I can't at the moment), and I will try to take on the commentary, but if not I will turn sound off. ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I could assume ownership of this thread if nobody else is willing.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
So at Pound, I learned firsthand how devastating Diddy is for Ike. Is there anything you guys struggle with in that matchup, or do you think it's a complete 6-4?

And how do you guys fare against Cloud?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
So at Pound, I learned firsthand how devastating Diddy is for Ike. Is there anything you guys struggle with in that matchup, or do you think it's a complete 6-4?

I don't think I really struggle against anything ike throws, we just beat his everything with fast aerials and a banana in hand lol. he's also easy to combo.

The diddy cloud mu has a lot of varying opinions (so do a lot of other diddy mus, no two diddy mains seem to agree on something @_@) from cloud beating diddy to it being even to diddy beating cloud. i personally think its even, diddy has good rushdown to stop him limit camping and can keep him in check w/ banana in hand. banana is everything though, holding it while in shield is probably why the matchup is even because cloud can't get away with poking your shield like he can against most other characters.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Does Diddy have any inherently losing matchups? I heard Mario, Corrin, and Roy were tough.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Does Diddy have any inherently losing matchups? I heard Mario, Corrin, and Roy were tough.
Pretty much everyone agrees Rosa is a pretty bad matchup for diddy. after that the opinions vary. a bunch of people (including zinoto) think diddy slightly loses 55:45 to olimar, mega man, cloud, sonic, and mario.

personally i feel like diddy only loses 60:40 to rosa, and then 55:45 to sonic and mario, with mario potentially being as bad as rosa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Ike's approaches and combos actually work really well against us, and his edgeguard game is on point vs us as well. Trouble is, shielding + Ike's high lag after his attacks makes it extremely easy for Diddy to get combos going on Ike, and he can continue them till he wrecks up enough damage for a kill. Banana is also extremely useful, Ike has little ways to work around it. If you are at high %, avoid D Tilt at all costs as it will set up for a kill, same with Banana.

I hate fighting Cloud at Diddy however, as he's literally the ONLY character in the game that doesn't fear our F Air. And our F Air is very important. Very.
Roy? Roy is not tough at all. I struggle to see how that is even possible. Corrin is probably even, or we beat them slightly.

Mario is bad yes, very bad. I also think Cloud is terrible. Personally, I struggle most with those two. Funny thing is, I believe we beat Sheik, ZSS and Bayonetta, so that's a good trade-off.

Some state Pikachu is also bad for us. But I don't have much experience in the matchup tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom