• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Child named Adolf Hitler removed from home in New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dibs

Smash Lord
A young boy named Adolf Hitler, who attracted national attention when a local supermarket refused to make a birthday cake with his name on it, has been taken away from his parents by authorities, according to a local website.

LehighValleyLive.com reports that Adolf and his sisters, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation, 1, and 8-month-old Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie, were removed from their home by New Jersey's Division of Youth and Family Services.

No reason was given for why the children were removed, however, and Holland Township police chief David Van Gilson told the site they had not received any reports of abuse or negligence.

Back in December, the boy's parents, Heath and Deborah, were outraged when a local ShopRite declined to provide them with cake for Adolf's birthday.

"They're just names, you know," Heath Campbell told the Easton Express-Times in December. "Yeah, they (the Nazis) were bad people back then. But my kids are little. They're not going to grow up like that."

However, Heath reportedly denies the Holocaust and their home is decorated with swastikas.

The parents were to attend a hearing regarding their children on Tuesday, but it was apparently postponed.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/01/13/2009-01-13_report_child_named_adolf_hitler_removed_.html

Any thoughts on this?

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Probably the best thing for the kids in my opinion. The parents seem like hard core white-supremacist. Granted Foster Homes sometimes suck, I'm sure it's better than being taught senseless hatred right from a young age.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I think that's sad. If they want to raise their kids to be racist then they should be allowed to

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Somebody posted this when the story initially broke a few weeks back, if I remember correctly. Good to see the kid's been removed from being reared racist.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Well finally. The kid was either going to grow up as a Holocaust denier racist or be emotionally scared when he finds out he was named after the crazed Austrian.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
This seems to reinforce my idea of having to obtain a permit to breed....

-_-

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hopefully a name change comes along with his change of address.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I saw it on here when the story first broke out, interesting to see that they actually took the children away after a few weeks. But really who has the rights? Are the parents not allowed to raise their child a certain way? I'm sure there are worse parents out there who encourage their children to commit crimes.
But I saw a clip, I think it was on Oprah? of a white supremacist family and those children were already brainwashed with anti-everythingotherthanAryan so this decision is probably a good measure.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Are you saying brainwashing doesn't harm a child?
Maybe the good kind of brainwashing, as in making them do what's right?

I don't know, please share your knowledge, PRoom. I am always up for mindgames brainwashing persuasion.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
I'm questioning the act of taking a child away from his/her parents, not the brainwashing part of it all. Who's to judge how a child should be raised? What's right and moral in a society or the corrupt-minded people who brought him/her into the world? I still think prevention is key and that it was a good decision, I just like to look at things from both ends.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm questioning the act of taking a child away from his/her parents, not the brainwashing part of it all. Who's to judge how a child should be raised? What's right and moral in a society or the corrupt-minded people who brought him/her into the world? I still think prevention is key and that it was a good decision, I just like to look at things from both ends.
I like to think to same thing, so I can be unbiased in debates.

The way I look at it, it was probably for the better that the authorities took the child away, but then again does anybody but the parents really have a say in how they should and will raise their children?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Children should only be removed from their home in extreme circumstances. Being raised to be a jerk does not qualify.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The whole point of forming "society" and "government" and "nations" is that we come to a consensus and give up a couple rights (like raising children to be racist or commit crimes) for the good of the whole and to secure rights that we believe are more ideal.

We, as a society and a people, have come to the consensus that racism and Nazism are bad and that they are morally reprehensible.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I dunno, the line seems kind of blurry here.

What is the legal reasoning for removing the child? I think it sets a dangerous precedent to simply remove a child because some people don't like the parents (though I agree it's probably the best action for the kids).

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
The whole point of forming "society" and "government" and "nations" is that we come to a consensus and give up a couple rights (like raising children to be racist or commit crimes) for the good of the whole and to secure rights that we believe are more ideal.

We, as a society and a people, have come to the consensus that racism and Nazism are bad and that they are morally reprehensible.
Eh I don't want to get into a 'what's society' debate in this thread, but I personally believe that the point of a society isn't to try to create a group of people who only do good and force the prevention of 'bad guys', rather so that people can get along, something along the lines of Proudhon's social contract rather than Hobbes'.

I agree with Jam Stunna but forcing an extreme idea like Nazism onto a child I would consider extreme.
I don't know if the parents were actually extreme Nazis or whether they did it more as a joke, so I'm not in the position to judge. If the authorities decided to take the children away, I'm sure it was within good reason.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Our culture has decided that Racism and Nazism is bad, but as a parent they should be allowed to raise their child how they want, as long as it's in the law. Racism and Nazism are both legal. I think they had no right to steal the child

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I think what doens't help with this discussion is that they haven't said why the kids were removed. Could be that there's holes in the walls shaped like the kids. Or daddy has 'busy hands.'

We just don't know.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sorry, but I am siding with the parents on this one. Because of personal beliefs (presumably) the kids were removed? Why not remove all children from religious families that don't believe in medical means for healing such as doctors and what not.

The state overstepped their bounds if they removed the kids due to their names.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
It's perfectly okay (albiet ********) that they hate jews, as long as no one gets hurt. It definitely falls under the same category as religion to me.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Though we don't know to what level these people are "Natzi-ish" They may just have been "Jews are cheap, blacks are dirty, brown eyed people are scum" or it might have been "Happy birthday Adolph, here's your first gun. Come on, lets get our heads shaved together and go threaten some jewish looking people.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Though we don't know to what level these people are "Natzi-ish" They may just have been "Jews are cheap, blacks are dirty, brown eyed people are scum" or it might have been "Happy birthday Adolph, here's your first gun. Come on, lets get our heads shaved together and go threaten some jewish looking people.
Oh, I agree, if it's the later the kid should be gone. But I took the "no other complaints" to mean that there weren't any. Personally I just meant "if it's only for that reason then no"

D

Deleted member

Adolf was a girl, not a "he". Not sure about the siblings though.

Zerxion

Smash Apprentice
They can't really take a kid away just because of their name... that wouldn't make sense (even if the parents did, obviously, base it off of Hitler).

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
Moments like this make me feel bad that I live in Jersey.......
Anyways, you should be able to name and raise your child anyway you want to. Like how my dad tells me the white man is always trying to bring the black man down (he is only half black lol) But I really don't think they should have took little Adolf like that.

QUIVO

Smash Master
To each his own...

Also, my high school english 2 teacher in high school named his son Adolf. I think his father was named that too.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Yeah but "Adolf" is a legitimate name; it's a little weird to name someone Adolf after Hitler came along and ruined it, but it's a legitimate name nonetheless.

Naming your kid "Adolf Hitler", however, is a totally different story. It's kind of like "Osama". Osama is a legitimate name, but it's now a bit weird to name your kid "Osama" after bin Laden made it infamous; naming your kid "Osama bin Laden" is just asking for trouble.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Look at President Obama if you don't believe him.

Though I heard he got a name-change, so i'm not sure if he counts... :X

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Lets not bring in lack of knowledge about the president elect in here.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Did you hear that he's a muslim who will suicide bomb the inauguration????

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
yeah i hurd he was a mohamedan i can't believe we elected him

X Shinigami X

Smash Cadet
That's sick and cruel to name your child Adolf Hitler. Imagine how hated he would be by the world with that name even if he didn't choose it....

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's a reason why in Sweden, there are laws against naming your kids (or yourself) however you want to name them. There's a government institution devoted entirely to approving and disapproving names.

If a name is deemed to be "detrimental" to the child, it is denied. For instances, boys cannot receive blatantly female names and vice versa. And they sure as hell cannot be named "Adolf Hitler".

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
There's a reason why in Sweden, there are laws against naming your kids (or yourself) however you want to name them. There's a government institution devoted entirely to approving and disapproving names.

If a name is deemed to be "detrimental" to the child, it is denied. For instances, boys cannot receive blatantly female names and vice versa. And they sure as hell cannot be named "Adolf Hitler".
That is stupid. The parents brought the kid into the world, and as long as they do not inflict harm onto them, they have a right on how to raise them.

I am guessing in Sweden you can't name your child Lucifer, but Anton LeVey, the leader of the Church of Satan did that. His religion (an atheist religion, but still) was The Church of Satan, so that would be like saying you can't name a child Paul or something.

The question is why does the state have the right to make a choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom