• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Checkmate Monthlies (Brawl + Melee) Discussion *CANCELED

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
[Guys! ive got some bad bad news!

the venue people have told us that they have had to cancel our confirmation for the 19th feb as there is some kind of emergency...

i am really sorry but this is completely out of our hands. Send me an email if you have booked your tickets to london already and we will try and sort it out for you.

again im sorry everyone :(

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295616

This is the Discussion thread for the checkmate montlies. Give your suggestions or ask questions here. Feed back will be appreciated. Let me no what you want to see.

No flaming, No spam etc canceled

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I'll probably go since it's in the same location as the other Monthlies.

Is there going to be much difference in the Long Run between this Monthlies and the other Monthlies?

I think I asked that question before but no-one answered it.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
I'll probably go since it's in the same location as the other Monthlies.

Is there going to be much difference in the Long Run between this Monthlies and the other Monthlies?

I think I asked that question before but no-one answered it.
price and payout atm will be more

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I have a suggestion- if these are being done at the same place as the monthlies then I think it would be a good opportunity to have one monthly do melee and one do brawl. That way neither of the monthlies will be too stretched for times and have to make decisions about pools/ doubles.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
How much is entry for the tournament and venue then this time lol?

Don't suggest that they drop melee at this event Ben lol....the more melee events the better.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
yes, but it'd be generally better for everyone if there are separate events because of how much better it will make things run. It'll also mean more people will want to come to them probably as there'd be ore time for friendlies.

Teh-Shlurpie

Smash Journeyman
its been tried before remember. last time it happend the person who hosted the tournament suffered a loss because there wasnt enough people to pay for the venue fee

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Theres a few reasons why i am not doing brawl only at this point in time.

I am a new host i.e. many people might not come, tourney may not be known. i cant afford to lose any money from these monthlies.

many players would like the chance to play both games, especially new comers. some people are not willing to travel for melee or brawl alone.

Both the melee and brawl community's are small atm. There is no need to have one venue for just one game.

im not saying its not a possibility in the future if people really want separate events, im just saying nows not the time. both communitys need more events and need to develope alot more anyway imo

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
flame + spam + etc.

what you gonna do bruv
pointless Hugo post no820

CRZ I honestly think having it brawl only would be a good idea. You being a new host won't affect the turnout as brawl players don't really have any other choices for events to go to. The monthly will also be a lot more easy to run and just generally be a better time for everyone. Don't forget that running 2 separate events for 2 games will be much harder than if you did both

Teh-Shlurpie

Smash Journeyman
pointless Hugo post no820

CRZ I honestly think having it brawl only would be a good idea. You being a new host won't affect the turnout as brawl players don't really have any other choices for events to go to. The monthly will also be a lot more easy to run and just generally be a better time for everyone. Don't forget that running 2 separate events for 2 games will be much harder than if you did both
its extremely risky this way as there might not be enough people who show up and cause him to have to pay for any venue fee that needs to be made up because of this

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
ITT: People attempt to convince a TO that wants to host two games, with his own reasons, to only host one.

Stick with two, it's a good idea if you are a new host and do not want to lose out on money.

Unreal91

Smash Journeyman
Jely:
ITT?

deffo stick with 2. alot of people flit between the games, especially when pools are concerned

will you be having pools at ur events? the melee community is cool, i am 100% you could find 2 or 3 committed people to help out

seeing as fuzz is a total pushover, CRZ how would you feel about being strict on timing? alex can expand on that if you feel like implementing a DQ system to motivate people to play their games. i think it would work real nice

Jolteon

ITT: In this topic.

I think we are way past due with implementing a DQ system, I agree with that 100%.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
id be fine with that, if you guys suggest one that would work then id be fine in having one.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I thought ITT was in this thread

irrelevant nonetheless I suppose,

And yeah, especially since Charles hasn't actually answered the question of being strict on timing, maybe he's just trying to ignore the comfrontation or something but it needs to be done :/

B.Mack

Smash Ace
you guys should stop saying that its Charles' fault.
I thought that too, but when I was the one hosting, my objective was just for everyone to have FUN. and as long as that was happening, I didnt wanna come in all serious and start turning off TVs and DQing people.

Fuzzy should appoint someone who's already a bumhole to just enforce the law on everyone.

CRZ should appoint Darran.

Jolteon

no man it is his fault in this case

we've brought up DQing like 1000x and he never responds and just ignores you

it's like... oh cool man, thanks for the response.

see: other thread.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
you guys should stop saying that its Charles' fault.
I thought that too, but when I was the one hosting, my objective was just for everyone to have FUN. and as long as that was happening, I didnt wanna come in all serious and start turning off TVs and DQing people.

Fuzzy should appoint someone who's already a bumhole to just enforce the law on everyone.

CRZ should appoint Darran.
the thing is it's not being a ****, it's about being fair, and the tournament finishing on time is more important than the friendlies people are playing and that are holding up the tournament.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I still think we should appoint 2 *******s to go around and enforce matches.

NO FRIENDLIES ALLOWED UNTIL YOU GET KNOCKED OUT

NO FRIENDLIES UNTIL WF

Jolteon

You don't need to be an ******* to do it, you just need to be able to locate the reset button.

rustediron

Smash Lord
Friendlies should be fine, as long as you make sure people pay attention to when they're being called and L+R+A+START as soon as they're opponent is free :S

MMs before you've been knocked out is gay though. Either that, or be prepared to have your MM interrupted.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Jesus guys anyone would think this is some kind of big issue. It's a smash bros tournament. Of course you can play friendlies (not sure what you were thinking bmac) but play if you're needed and if anyone asks you to move then move.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Jesus guys anyone would think this is some kind of big issue. It's a smash bros tournament. Of course you can play friendlies (not sure what you were thinking bmac) but play if you're needed and if anyone asks you to move then move.
yeah i know an all, but classic ignorance means **** never gets done, friendlies need to be moved on if a tournament match needs to be played

B.Mack

Smash Ace
20minutes for each round and forfeit first game if you are late. sounds about right to me.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I'm probably gonna do that tbh...

Calz ur a scrub. you cant prolong your inevitable buttrape for 8mins.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
5 tv's, 8min per match + chac sel, counter picking etc...

id say 28min each match

approx have time for 13 matches ( times by how many tv's we are able to use) not including doubles

i dont think we have time for pools, although i would really like to for the players who are new/ or not very good. ill think about it.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
5 tv's, 8min per match + chac sel, counter picking etc...

id say 28min each match

approx have time for 13 matches ( times by how many tv's we are able to use) not including doubles

i dont think we have time for pools, although i would really like to for the players who are new/ or not very good. ill think about it.
we could use a system similar to those that the melee players are using for the monthly, i reckon that we should do top 6 go through (obv cal, andy, keef, miller) auto without pools and everyone else goes into pools (top players still in pools all separated obv again) and we can have however many pools, if we have time 6 pools with top 2 going throuh for a 16 man bracket or even 10 pools with top 2 going through for a 24 man bracket (which is a reasonably good number for a double elim bracket) but once again it depends on time and attendance

Top Bottom