• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cheapest character in the game

Crow!

Smash Lord
I think first and foremost is defining what "cheap" actually means, because I don't think everyone uses it in the same way. I define a character as being cheap if, even if you know exactly what he is going to do at all times, and even if you do the "right thing" to stop it, the character will win anyway.

To that end, I say Snake is the cheapest. Yes, you can argue playing well as Snake is difficult, but that's a different definition of cheap. The fact is that a properly done Snake doesn't have weaknesses to exploit. He'll outcamp almost anyone (except for Falco, which sadly is why he's my main.. I'd rather be Yoshi or Peach) and if you get in close his tilts are as fast as tilts but as strong (or stronger) than most smashes. The fact that he has slow movement doesn't really matter because there's no magic location you can be to hit him safely.

After Snake, Olimar comes next. Olimar usually plays campy because flailing Pikmin shuts down almost anything anyone tries to do to him. Marth might be similar, but I've not played any really good Marths. So far it seems you can trade hits with him 1 for 1 if you play right, so if you keep your hits stronger (or just land the kill move first) then you can at least keep up with him, even if you have to play really well to do it. With Olimar, trying the same would trade hits with Pikmin.. which can be replaced in something like 1/6 of a second.. and there's no appreciable lag after any of Olimar's attacks to counterattack, either. You just have to hope Olimar misses - which makes your own play seem unimportant, as you have to rely on that terribly overused term known as "mindgames."

StarWolf12

Smash Rookie
I don't think any character by itself is cheap, I think that the style a player chooses to play with (i.e. spamming moves) causes some characters to be labeled cheap.

Sandoggg

Smash Apprentice
metaknight for that 'press one button and instantly attack three times in every direction' aspect,
and pit for his blue arrows of extreme annoyance and his over b.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Why do people say Ike is cheap?
Because they keep walking into the SAME forward smash, over and over again?
It's really your fault....
People with power usually aren't broken because of lag.
Well, Rob is broken, he must have messed with the game before it's release.
He KNEW people would hate him, so he made himself a good character.

cman

Smash Ace
Luigi!!! His taunt is the best spike in any SSB game EVER!!!11!!1! srsly

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
I think Pit and Ike. Pit has already been stated why; Ike because he's not THAT slow and his smashes re just too **** powerful.

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
I would say Pit just because he exceeds in both close range and long range fighting, with the best recovery in the game to top him off. All of his attacks are pretty powerful as well, and he can spam arrows easily in any direction he wants. His only downside is that he doesn't have any easy KO moves, but he can fight off the stage really well so it should be too hard. He can also chase you off the top of the stage just as easily as off the side.
I agree with that. Especially the recovery. How could the developers think
"Yay lets put pit in the game and give him 5 jumps. Thats a good, fair character. Now, lets give him a recover that pretty much gives him five more jumps!"

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
I agree with that. Especially the recovery. How could the developers think
"Yay lets put pit in the game and give him 5 jumps. Thats a good, fair character. Now, lets give him a recover that pretty much gives him five more jumps and is easy to gimp!"
Fixed that for you.

I'm not sure but I think getting hit once knocks him out his recovery and he can't use it again.

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
Fixed that for you.
Okay, so it is slightly easy to gimp but if you dont mind could you answer these question (not sarcastic here, I really want to know)

if you hit him during recovery, can he just use it again, what happens?

And can he use his up b, attack, then use it again (like rob)?

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Okay, so it is slightly easy to gimp but if you dont mind could you answer these question (not sarcastic here, I really want to know)

if you hit him during recovery, can he just use it again, what happens?
I'm pretty sure he can't. I have memories of dying several times in Cruel Brawl because I got hit out Pit's recovery.

And can he use his up b, attack, then use it again (like rob)?
He can attack out of it, but then he can't use up B again.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Do I even have to say it?

Pit. While it's true he can be knocked out of his recovery, go from underneath, use arrows, etc. to avoid that.

Also, his Angel Ring earns him the cheapest character award, no questions asked.

Sandoggg

Smash Apprentice
i forgot to say pikachu... that downsmash that just drags you in is ridiculous. and for people with gimp air recovery, thunder is a nightmare.

to those that say ike, i'd have to disagree. he's slow and predictable, so it requires a pretty smart player to do well, especially in a 1v1 setting. i can imagine anyone eating a forward smash or two in a 4 person ffa..

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
In my experience, Characters aren't cheap, Players are. It's an important distinction.

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
LUCARIO is cheap. He has melee combos (with guarunteed hit stuun) that are ridiculously hard to get out of. His hitboxes are broken. I've been behind him and took the full force of a forward air. Snake is broken. Metaknight takes the coordination of a 3 year old to win with. And Pit is annoying.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
I've heard alot of people say Dedede was the cheapest.
But I don't see at all how he could be cheap. lol

KupoKupoKupo

Smash Rookie
I don't think characters are cheap as much as the people who play them are, as CodeBlack said. But two things get on my nerves during Wifi matches:

Pikachu spamming his B-Down Move

Sonic in general.

Ike in general.

I've seen a lot of people play very well and very decently with these characters, but most people seem to be pretty darn slimey with 'em.

ChiiGamer

Smash Rookie
on wifi it's definitely Ike. everytime someone grabs him they somehow manage to get like at least 5-7 ko's... coincedence? i highly doubt it. it hardly matters who's playing Ike either.:mad:

edit: actually i don't believe it matters how the people play. cheap characters tempt the players into playing, well, CHEAP. so there it's Ike's fault.:)

offline it's another story. either pit or mk.:ohwell:

Top Bottom