• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Tactical Discussion

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Again, Glide is much less common with Charizard than Pit or Meta Knight. If you think about it, it makes sense. Pit and meta are heavily air game (I assume Pit is, Meta is no question). Charizard is more of a wild card by comparison, so aerials aren't as much of a priority. This is compounded by the fact that typically, Charizard can recover with his two air jumps and up B alone.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
from now on, glide attack should be referred to as gair.

effective immediately.

:bee:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
LOL GAIR too good

i wanna GAYR with charizard

people need to stop rock smashing at dumb times and start abusing fire breath to space

fire breath is toooo good

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Using Rock Smash either after a ledge hop or just to recover in general is pretty useful for covering yourself. I mean, you can use a fair, but Rock Smash will do loads more damage and is more manly.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
What is manlier than a gayr???? lol
Of course, charizard should be gliding when he finishes his second jump, that way when you cancel it you still have your third jump and upB,

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
run forward, fulljump, and b-stick (is that what you kids call it now? a retreating b move while jumping forward) flamethrower so you land on, say, a battlefield platform.

too tricky plus flashy so people will think you're good =)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah i've only gotten one kill ever from it. spiked a ness riiiiiiiiiight near the edge and wall of yoshi's island, and of course pkt ended up running into the wall or something

it was awesome

but pales in comparison to a klaptrap kill lol

Toby.

Smash Master
run forward, fulljump, and b-stick (is that what you kids call it now? a retreating b move while jumping forward) flamethrower so you land on, say, a battlefield platform.

too tricky plus flashy so people will think you're good =)
I've never done that onto a battlefield platform. That sounds incredibly sexy.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
The same way that ivysaur's nair spikes, except only for an instant whereas ivy's can be done at almost any point during the attack.

you should never be trying to do it with charz' backair. if you want to spike just use dair, its honestly easier than llooking for the few frames in the right spot of the bair.

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
I'd much rather try to sweetspot Bair rather than trying to land either of the two spikes. It might have to be timed and be a retreating Bair to get the sweetspot but it pays off well enough, not to mention it's not as risky as a FFDair.=/

By the way, does Nair have any good usage?

zeta

Smash Journeyman
i can usually land the spiking bair after letting go of the edge. its semi effective for edge guarding if you think you're gonna run out of invincibility frames.

Nair is great for taking advantage of early air dodges because it last so long. it reaches through platforms and is good for gimping, but fair is better for the gimps.

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
I'd much rather try to sweetspot Bair rather than trying to land either of the two spikes. It might have to be timed and be a retreating Bair to get the sweetspot but it pays off well enough, not to mention it's not as risky as a FFDair.=/

By the way, does Nair have any good usage?
It's it box tends to stay around Charizard for quite a long while. Has medium start up animation, it starts from the base of his tail and ends at the flame. It also had the chance to be sweet spotted as well. Not a move I use too often but it has its places from time to time.

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
I'll try working on the sweetspot first, then see if I can manage to use Zard's Nair more in between matches. Maybe see if it can string into anything, as well as without sweetspotting.

Going to be difficult landing it on the flame.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I'll try working on the sweetspot first, then see if I can manage to use Zard's Nair more in between matches. Maybe see if it can string into anything, as well as without sweetspotting.

As far as use for the n-air goes, as early stated it can hit through platforms. So on battlefield I will knock enemies off the platforms with the n-air then follow up the n-air with the weak attacks right out of the auto cancel. If i dont do all three weak attacks I jab grab, but either way the tilts and weak attacks are a nice follow up to the n-air.

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice

Indeed sweet spotting the Nair is a toughy, I found that doing the attack ahead of time before running into the enemy will perk up your chances of sweet spotting.

As far as tactical use like earlier it is a platformer attack and an edge guarding one as well. Fair as we know has that wonderful wind like push back and Nair has just that knock back in general. You'll have to eye ball which may be more useful and which will likely have priority over an Up B recover attack. Nair may be useful in the fact that the hit back lasts so long around Charizard and Fair is more of a direct toss back, so just gotta pick and chose!

As far as other implements in battle it isn't one I tend to use often. A fun combo with low platforms like Battle Field or Halberd would be like Uptilt > Uptilt > Nair. You got the pin point attack right above you and you can juggle two hits before they DI out, and Nair may have a chance to hit their escape route. As for other uses I'll keep on the look out =]

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Lies.

Also is it me or are the PT boards like Groundhogs Day?

We keep having the same discussions.
I haven't been here long enough to say, but it seems like it might be. I find nair useful at low % as a nair -> grab -> bthrow -> (on heavies) fthrow. Nair is relatively safe shielded so even if its blocked you're not in a horrible position

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i just use nair on battlefield when the opponent is on the platform or slightly above it. it's also nice if the opponent airdodges an anticipated fair offstage. just toss a nair out.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Typh you have a good point about nair not being the best attack, but overall I find myself using the n-air for the ability to follow up with jabs and jab grabs just to rack a decent chunk damage that a smash attack couldnt deal, that works very well for me but im sure as the level of play raises up chances to land the n-air become slimmer and slimmer

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
I like using a fast-falled n-air when I'm in the air and my opponent is below me. I also sometimes use it for edgeguarding; n-air can kill at very high percentages, especially if you sweet-spot the tail.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Typh you have a good point about nair not being the best attack, but overall I find myself using the n-air for the ability to follow up with jabs and jab grabs just to rack a decent chunk damage that a smash attack couldnt deal, that works very well for me but im sure as the level of play raises up chances to land the n-air become slimmer and slimmer
i disagree, Nair is alot easier to land than any of charizards smashes, and its alot more versatile, maybe typh's playstyle doesn't allow him to use Nair too much, but it really is a good move, much like ROB's but with a much faster startup time.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
@ Typh: No, i was pointing that out because i think that if japanese people use it a lot its that maybe it just doesnt fit to our playstile... but thas why we are here, to change our charizard playstile acording to which moves are useful on some situations
Nair has saved me sometimes of an aerial ****, airdodging ma help, but it doesnt hit your enemy

Charizard92

Smash Champion
My view on Nair: OK, to be fair, I only use Nair really to add in something else. It isn't that great an aerial (easily outshined by Bair and somewhat outshined by Uair and Fair), but again, it is decent. Your choice really. I do find myself juggling opponents with Uattacks though.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
i disagree, Nair is alot easier to land than any of charizards smashes, and its alot more versatile, maybe typh's playstyle doesn't allow him to use Nair too much, but it really is a good move, much like ROB's but with a much faster startup time.
But I never said that n-air wasnt easier to land than smash attacks. I simply agreed that in a large portion of scenarios theres alot better option than n-air. Personally I enjoy the n-air and like I said in my post I use it to link to jabs and grabs with also lead to followup smashes. I enjoy charizards n-air but I agree with typh there are more times it gets outshined then it outshines other moves.

Top Bottom