• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Custom Moves

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
How do you think Charizard's moves could be customized, like we see in the direct with Mario's fireballs and DK's head butt, etc.. Could Flamethrower become Flame Burst? Maybe Rock Smash becomes Head Smash? I donno....I don't even remember if he can learn Head Smash. :p

Discuss.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Just some random ideas:

Exploding rock for Rock Smash
Super armor Rock Smash

A faster Flare Blitz that can pass through people like Fox Illusion, but does way less damage
Blue flame Flare Blitz that can be controlled like Lucario's Extreme Speed

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Projectile Rock Smash
Slow, super armour rock smash
fast, weak rock smash

Fast flare blitz, Less powerful
more powerful flare blitz, more recoil
Slow flare blitz, more powerful

Projectile flamethrower
Water flamethrower like marios fludd, pushes away and does no damage
Ice flamethrower that freezes

Higher fly, does no damage
More powerful, doesn't go as far
Faster fly, less damage

Just a few ideas

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Flamethrower:
Spitfire Flamethrower that damages similarly to G&W's Chef move (mouth damages like the frying pan, fire like the pancakes)
Dragonbreath cough that causes stun

Flare Blitz:
Non-explosive Flare Blitz that works similarly to Project M Charizard's glide attack
Fast, long range Flare Blitz that is very weak, used primarily to recover

Fly:
Longer range flying-type Fly that causes no damage
Short range KO move not used to recover

Rock Smash:
Slow, super armor Rock Smash
Faster, less powerful Rock Smash with shrapnel

Just some 5 second ideas.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Down B (Rock Smash):
Strength- Throws the rock, stadium style.
A much faster version that acts like a jab (he will bash his head on the rock multiple times and the rock breaks after 10 headbutts, leaving more ending lag than if stopped sooner).

Neutral B (Flamethrower):
Dragon Breath- Bluish/purple, weaker, stuns a la ZSS.
Fire Blast- Shoots that 大 thing like its old FS. Higher lag.

Side B (Flare Blitz):
Flame Charge- Really quick version with low power and lag (Pikachu's Up B levels of speed)
Heat Crash- Charges forward, grabs opponent, and body slams them (like Bowser's down throw)

That's all I got

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Charizard

Neutral Specials
Neutral Special [Default]: Flamethrower
Custom Set 1: Fire Spin (Instead of fire bursting forward, it creates a fiery tornado that sucks in opponents and flings them up into the air. Low damage but high knockback and great for combos. The longer it is held, the weaker it becomes)
Custom Set 2: Fire Blast (Holding down B charges the move and letting go fires it. Unable to be stored. The fire projectile resembles 大 like in the previous games. More power than the other two but slower.

Side Specials
Side Special [Default]: Flare Blitz
Custom Set 1: Flame Charge (weaker but faster than Flare Blitz. Does not have any recoil affect but, instead, slightly raises the players speed for a
period of time)
Custom Set 2: Wing Attack (removes the fire effect thus not doing fire-damage but it knocks opponents higher up than the other attacks. Powerful against grounded foes.)

Up Specials
Up Special [Default]: Fly
Custom Set 1: Air Slash (similar to Fly but has a shorter range but causes Charizard to spin in a circle; creating blades of wind. It has a larger hit box than the normal fly and more knock back.)
Custom Set 2: Sky Drop (Charizard flies upward but a bit slower. If he comes into contact with an opponent, it spikes the opponent down with a meteor strike.)

Down Specials
Down Special [Default]: Rock Smash
Custom Set 1: Brick Break (forgoes using rocks but still performs a similar animation. While is extremely weak compared to Rock Smash, it is extremely useful against shields and capable to breaking a fully charged shield. It is also strong against barrier/shield attacks including attacks such as Toad and Counter.
Custom Set 2: Rock Slide (Slams a rock into pieces causing it to roll along the ground. While not as damaging, it has a the Piplup affect by pushing away players as it travels along the ground. The initial break is damaging and the landslide down low damages.)

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think I have a couple ideas too.

Flamethrower Variants

1. Incinerate: Charizard shoots out a large fireball very quickly. It doesn't do much damage on the initial hit, but when it does hit, it'll create a pillar of fire that locks the opponent in place. Like Ness' PK Fire. This can also be done be having the fireball hit the ground.

2. DragonBreath: DragonBreath has more distance than Flamethrower, about 1.5 times as much distance. But it deals considerably less damage. Instead it can paralyze the enemy for a short period of time. Should probably be colored purple like in the Pokemon games.

Fly Variants

1. Wing Attack: This version deals more damage and has more knockback. But it now has the drawback of being much slower.

2. Aerial Ace: Aerial Ace can travel a lot higher than Fly or Wing Attack. It also has the fastest start up of the three variants. But it deals very little damage.

Flare Blitz Variants

1. Flame Charge: Flame Charge is the fastest variant of the three. And it lacks the recoil of Flare Blitz. But it's much weaker in terms of damage. It has very little knockback. Instead, you pass through the enemy as you do damage, similar to Fox Illusion.

2. Dragon Rush: Dragon Rush is a lot slower than Flare Blitz. And on top of that, it's hitbox is also smaller. Dragon Rush travels 3/4 the distance of Flare Blitz and Flame Charge. But in exchange for that, the move deals more damage. It lacks recoil too.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Dude, I'm thinking about Stealth Rocks for one of his Rock Smash customs. xD I'd be all over that.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any information on what the actual alts for his move set are? I've been looking around for a while now and I haven't seen anything...

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Does anyone have any information on what the actual alts for his move set are? I've been looking around for a while now and I haven't seen anything...
I'll try playing around with him a little more... I unlocked a few. Remember, I don't know Japanese, so I may be wrong on some of these...

:GCB:
1. Flamethower
2. ???
3. He shoots three quick bursts of fire. Each burst momentarily stuns the opponents.

:GCU::GCB:
1. Fly (like Brawl's)
2. He barely goes upwards, but he deals almost 20% with it while he spins.
3. ???

:GCR::GCB:
1. Flare Blitz
2. Same idea as his Up B- barely any ground is covered but it's about 23%.
3. No fire, but he flies further. Only does about 10%

:GCD::GCB:
1. Rock Smash
2. No rock, just his head... I'm confused by this. Maybe it buries them? It's only doing 8% to the Sandbag.
3. It's very similar to his Rock Smash, but the debris falls upwards instead.

I'll test some of these and run through Smash Run to see if I can find out his other ones.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
I'll try playing around with him a little more... I unlocked a few. Remember, I don't know Japanese, so I may be wrong on some of these...

1. Flamethower
2. ???
3. He shoots three quick bursts of fire. Each burst momentarily stuns the opponents.

1. Fly (like Brawl's)
3. ???

1. Flare Blitz

1. Rock Smash
2. No rock, just his head... I'm confused by this. Maybe it buries them? It's only doing 8% to the Sandbag.

I'll test some of these and run through Smash Run to see if I can find out his other ones.

Thanks a bunch!

Couple questions though.
Are any of the knock backs changed on any of his moves?
Does the modifications to flare blitz have any bearing on how fast it charges? or is it the same charge time?
Are the fireballs possibly combo-able?

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Thanks a bunch!

Couple questions though.
Are any of the knock backs changed on any of his moves?
Does the modifications to flare blitz have any bearing on how fast it charges? or is it the same charge time?
Are the fireballs possibly combo-able?
This has only been tested in Smash Run (I'm trying to unlock the last of his moves).

Knockback- Yeah, the weaker ones seem to have less. For example, the mobile Flare Blitz didn't knock enemies away much.
Flare Blitz- The charge is only for a second or less, so it's negligible. However for what it's worth, the weak one launches faster (no charge) and doesnt do any recoil.
Fireballs- They're not really fireballs as much as they are bursts of fire that stretch further than Flamethrower. Unfortunately, they won't combo since Charizard is stationary, but I could see some cool teamwork in Doubles coming from it's ability to momentarily stun at a distance.

Grr... second run through the maze and nothing for Charizard. I got Duck Hunt stuff though, which is nice.

Edit: Run 3- Luigi and Toon Link moves... my brother's mains but characters I ignore... Sigh...

Edit: Run 4- Nothing for anybody... Grr...

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990

1. Flamethower
2. ???

1. Fly (like Brawl's)
3. ???

1. Flare Blitz

1. Rock Smash

Thanks for finally providing this information.I've been eagerly awaiting.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
No prob! I'm glad to do so!

But I'm not glad that I keep getting repeat moves for Charizard... why do they do that?
Well,the custom moves aren't suppose to entirely new specials like you were hoping,if that's what you saying.They're more like alterations created to open new windows of strategies for that specific special move,kinda breathing new life into that character's meta game. I hope this awnsered your question. :)

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Well,the custom moves aren't suppose to entirely new specials like you were hoping,if that's what you saying.They're more like alterations created to open new windows of strategies for that specific special move,kinda breathing new life into that character's meta game. I hope this awnsered your question. :)
Oh, ha ha, I didn't mean it like that! Basically, I beat Smash Run and it gave me Custom Down Special 3 twice... and I already had it. Kinda like how Streetpass often gives you repeat Puzzle Swap pieces.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718

1. Flamethower
2. ???

1. Fly (like Brawl's)
3. ???

1. Flare Blitz

1. Rock Smash

Awww, is it really? Well damn... I was hoping for Stealth Rocks like what Charizard had in Brawl Minus. Man, that new Down B was so dope in Brawl Minus.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Oh, ha ha, I didn't mean it like that! Basically, I beat Smash Run and it gave me Custom Down Special 3 twice... and I already had it. Kinda like how Streetpass often gives you repeat Puzzle Swap pieces.
Oh! That's what you meant! Sorry if I misinterpreted your message. Sounds like it was an enduring task to collect them all

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Going into more depth on Charizard's third Neutral B based on some footage (at the bottom). It shoots weak bursts of flames, minimum of three but can be held for more. Minimal damage, hitstun, and knockback. However, fresh ones hit across Final D. Seems like it'll be useful for harassing recovering players, as well as for forcing projectile-less characters to approach.

http://www.twitch.tv/ninjalink/b/568930385?t=138m20s

lcampoy8

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8395-9035
Going into more depth on Charizard's third Neutral B based on some footage (at the bottom). It shoots weak bursts of flames, minimum of three but can be held for more. Minimal damage, hitstun, and knockback. However, fresh ones hit across Final D. Seems like it'll be useful for harassing recovering players, as well as for forcing projectile-less characters to approach.

http://www.twitch.tv/ninjalink/b/568930385?t=138m20s
Wow, that looks pretty awesome. Way better than his standard flamethrower imo.

Rage NF

Smash Lord
NNID
RageNF

1. Flamethower
2. ???

1. Fly (like Brawl's)
3. ???

1. Flare Blitz

1. Rock Smash

Cooool this is getting Gooood!

epicgordan

Smash Ace

1. Flamethower
2. ???
Sounds like Option 3 might be Flame Burst.

1. Fly (like Brawl's)
3. ???
Possibly Fire Spin? Not sure if he's on fire, though.

1. Flare Blitz
The second one might be Overheat, though I believe that that move is supposed to be a Special move. Not sure what the third one is supposed to be, though.

1. Rock Smash

The second one is Head Smash. The third, on the other hand, sounds like Rock Slide.

I don't know; I wish somebody who could read Japanese had watched the stream and thus knows what the English translations for those custom moves are actually called.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The translated names of all his customs are:

Fire Fang (Neutral B 2)
Fireball (Neutral B 3)

Blast Burn (Side B 2)
Dragon Rush (Side B 3)

Heave Up (Up B 2)
Fly High (Up B 3)

Headbutt (Down B 2)
Rock Throw (Down B 3)

Most of the custom moves for the Pokemon aren't actually based on/named after moves that exist in the games.

The Headbutt custom is weird in that it can bury people, but it'll still do so even if you perform it at the top of a jump while you're above them, despite there being absolutely no visual indicator of its hitbox extending that low. It also has a sweetspot on Charizard's head that's a strong meteor smash.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace

Fire Fang (Neutral B 2)
Fireball (Neutral B 3)

Blast Burn (Side B 2)
Dragon Rush (Side B 3)

Heave Up (Up B 2)
Fly High (Up B 3)

Headbutt (Down B 2)
Rock Throw (Down B 3)

The Headbutt custom is weird in that it can bury people, but it'll still do so even if you perform it at the top of a jump while you're above them, despite there being absolutely no visual indicator of its hitbox extending that low. It also has a sweetspot on Charizard's head that's a strong meteor smash.
These names alone get me hyped. :4charizard: Bring on that Dragon Dive Rush! I gotta see these. The bonus briefing info about Headbutt sounds awesome too. A meteor Smash option is always welcomed on my doorstep!:4falcon:

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990

Fire Fang (Neutral B 2)
Fireball (Neutral B 3)

Blast Burn (Side B 2)
Dragon Rush (Side B 3)

Heave Up (Up B 2)
Fly High (Up B 3)

Headbutt (Down B 2)
Rock Throw (Down B 3)

Most of the custom moves for the Pokemon aren't actually based on/named after moves that exist in the games.

Thanks for confirming the names on specials 2 and 3.Im dissapointed to know they won't be accurately visualizing their representing moves from the canon source but being realistic here I understand why,since they would alter zard's play style significantly which would have made a nice plus. :(

snaptrap

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1743-4601
Hopefully custom moves will be allowed in tournaments. These custom moves sound awesome! It would be such a shame if the competitive community wouldn't adopt all of these great options. Personally, I think I will keep myself to the standard specials besides his down special, which I will change to his second option, Headbutt. The ability to bury my opponent and possibly get a very flashy meteor smash finisher to combos sounds awesome! So I guess my set would be 1112? Not quite sure how these abbreviations work for custom special move sets.

D

Deleted Member

Since DK's Side B can apparently break fully charged shields, can Charizard's Headbutt (custom Down Special) do the same?

Darthrai

Smash Cadet
What's the best custom move setup for him? I feel that Fireball Cannon (Neutral 3) and Dragon Rush (Side 3) are his best neutral and side options, since Fireball Cannon has good range and Dragon Rush doesn't cause Charizard any knockback, but are his other options better? And what are his best Up/Down specials?

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
Fireball cannon has a pretty big time commitment. You have to wait for all three. Dragon rush however is amazing, not because of less recoil, but because it doesn't bounce off of shields.

I randomly got edge-guarded by fire fang from a computer, it seems the move can hit below the ledge if you angle it. It also appears to be a kill move. More research recommended for neutral b.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
If custom moves were allowed I probably would only use fly high. Thats the only good one in my eyes since flare blitz is way too good to give up.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Fire Fang is surprisingly good, it's brutal on shields. I think it's safe on block against most non-tether grabs.

Fireball Cannon seems awful and easily punishable.

Blast Burn is... pretty awful looking.

Dragon Rush on the other hand is GODLY. Incredible move in every way. Charizard is of dubious viability without this move. It's like a better, safer, more reliable Wizkick--just don't expect it to kill.

Rising Cyclone is really good. It's reasonably fast, works OoS, does solid damage, and kills at low %s. The nerfed recovery is a nontrivial cost, but ultimately worth it.

Fly High is the opposite proposition, and imo not worth it at all.

Sinking Skull would be an alright move if it didn't take the place of Rock Smash

Rock Hurl seems worse than Rock Smash.

Shog

Smash Ace
Just want to remind people that the fact you can chase people offscreen with dragon rush, it goes through shields and clanks with projectiles makes it one of the best moves in the game.
Dragon Rush is like...the best reason Custom Moves should be allowed. And it is interesting that with Dragon Rush you can afford to use Fly instead of the Fly High move for recovery.

WaffleCone

Smash Rookie
imo Dragon Rush and Fly High seem to be the only good custom moves, the rest are pretty terrible.
Personally, im not an advocate of fly high. I feel like the occasional out of shield option is to valuable to sacrifice.

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
Just want to remind people that the fact you can chase people offscreen with dragon rush, it goes through shields and clanks with projectiles makes it one of the best moves in the game.
Dragon Rush is like...the best reason Custom Moves should be allowed. And it is interesting that with Dragon Rush you can afford to use Fly instead of the Fly High move for recovery.
Between the distance traveled and the height lost during ending lag, going offstage like that is a pretty big yolo move, though

Shog

Smash Ace
Between the distance traveled and the height lost during ending lag, going offstage like that is a pretty big yolo move, though
...You can Dragon Rush offscreen, Jump Once, Dragon Rush back, use Up B/ Fly

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
You can frankly get away with Rising Cyclone. A fast, armored attack than can be done OoS or aerially, does 22%, and kills REALLY early? Yes please.

Top Bottom