• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard and Weavile Enter Pokken Tournament

Falm

Smash Rookie
bisharp would fit well in this game, but with weavile in I suppose it's unlikely

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Since they did the whole bad ass thing with Pikachu and made gardevoir a bit flirty *shudders* I really hope we get a cute Pokémon fighter. Maybe the 'Puff if it will have NFC support. Even just as a joke character- I really want something insanely cute in it because Pokémon isn't all bad ass characters, it has a lot of cute ones as well.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Since they did the whole bad *** thing with Pikachu and made gardevoir a bit flirty *shudders* I really hope we get a cute Pokémon fighter. Maybe the 'Puff if it will have NFC support. Even just as a joke character- I really want something insanely cute in it because Pokémon isn't all bad *** characters, it has a lot of cute ones as well.
Pikachu is kind of a joke character.

Pikachu's "badass" elements in this game are moves and mannerisms borrowed from Heihachi of the Tekken games. It's funny seeing an adorable character like him try to act as intimidating as Heihachi.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
Japan, keeping all the good games to there selfs. Just like the first 6 fire emblems and final fantasy II,III,and V.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
I only wish Sandslash were popular enough to be in Pokkén... It would make up for having to resort to a crazy-looking spiky-haired Mii Swordfighter with 'Swift' (shuriken) and 'Rapid Spin' (suicidal side-B).

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
No surprise for Charizard, it was a shoo-in anyway, I expected it as much as I expected Palutena pre-SSB4. Also influence from SSB4 is obvious with how it uses Flare Blitz. Weavile on the other hand I haven't thought about, but I guess is kinda cool with fast psysical ice powers. Though I'm kinda worried about this game being filled with slashing-based Dark-type Pokémon like Absol or Zoroark.

I'm not sure if I'm going to buy this game if it ever releases on console (which I'm expecting to happen), but it catches my interest at this point. I'm looking for more fighters to be revealed... and I hope that Namco Bandai will manage to surprise us with a few unexpected picks. Here are a few Pokémon I'd personally like to see playable:

Farfetch'd: the generation 1 bird memorable for having poor stats despite no evolutionary line and always keeping a stick with it. With a small body type, the ability to fly which promises excellent aerial game and its stick as a weapon, Farfetch'd would most likely be awesome and fill the unique niche of a crazy quick aerial-based swordfighter.

Abomasnow: a very unique Pokémon thanks to its unique dual typing, and who was proven to be a worthy one with a Mega Evolution and a Poké Ball assist appearance in SSB4. Abomasnow's powers based primarily on ice alongside grass-boosted physical attacks would definitely make it a unique fighter. It would mostly intimidate the opponent by approaching it with ice attacks before landing powerful Wood Hammers.

Golurk: possibly the single best Pokémon to choose when it comes to filling the niche of the "brutal mindless power" archetype. It's literally a freaking golem with giant fists. On top of that its relation with ground makes it a perfect candidate to use earth-shaking based moves, especially if it means it uses them with a giant ground punch, and it can even turn into a rocket! Arguably the best choice for a sluggish character with brutal strength.

Xerneas: the majestic magical deer would be an awesome playable character. With decent agility, powerful horn-based attacks, awesome magical attacks such as Moonblast, and an awesome buffing move with Geomancy, Xerneas would be a very varied fighter. Plus neutral form as regular appearance and the more colorful active form when in burst mode. Wouldn't that be cool?

And Mewtwo as well, but I guess that's a given. I can't imagine the salt if Mewtwo doesn't make it in this game... especially after missing the boat in SSB4's initial roster.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So I heard this is, more or less, the entire roster but will be updated further down the road in future updates. If this is true, I'm not sure how I feel shouts

I'll go play it though and then I'll take pictures to rub it in people's faces :3

I feel these nine Pokemon represents various play styles to get players adjusted to the game instead of including like 3 Pokemon that fall under one play style category. I like the roster but it definitely could be expanded. I'd be very happy to see my top 5 Pokemon: Garchomp, Hawlucha, Golurk, Vileplume, and Castform playable.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
i don't like whoever voiced charziard. Sounds really weird. Im still hoping for mewtwo!

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I don't know why I didn't expect Charizard to be playable XD

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Oh for Cowpie's Sake people, Charizard is THE Most popular Pokemon. Period.

only ones that come nearly as close are Pikachu, Mewtwo, Eevee, Lucario and Rayquaza. this can be confirmed by the dozens of popularity polls over the years.

not having Charizard in this is like not having Spider-Man in a Marvel fighting game.

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
Charzard is gonna be the ganadorf in that game dude hits hard asf

D

Deleted member

So popularity is suddenly everything now? Funny, this didn't seem to matter in Smash when Ridley and K. Rool dominated every poll. Please, tell me how Charizard is a more "natural fit" for a game like this than Blastoise. Or Sceptile. Or Typhlosion. Or... the other 714 Pokémon.

Charizard may be popular, but the level in which The Pokémon Company gives preferential treatment to him over the other starters is disgusting. Just look at the TCG where there are four different Mega Charizard cards while Blastoise and Venusaur get one each. Let's not forget the fact that Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut entirely from Smash and most likely won't be coming back. Oh, but that's okay, because they aren't as "popular". How do you determine popularity? Number of game appearances? That's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
It's "disgusting?" You make it sound like this is a civil rights issue. "Charizard gets into more games than other Pokemon! That's discrimination!"

When you have so many characters in existence, of course a few of them are going to be pushed to the forefront, and you're surprised that the winged fire breathing dragon is one of them? Kids have always loved dragons in general, and Charizard is no exception. He's been one of the most popular Pokemon since the very beginning - almost 2 decades. Next to Pikachu, he is probably the most well known Pokemon in the world. Would I mind if Venusaur or Blastoise got in? No, I would actually love that, but there is no way that they would get preferential treatment over Charizard. Of course he was getting in. He adds to the appeal of the game (maybe not to you, but you're not the only person in the world) which in turn will cause the game to sell better. Simple business concept.

Tl;dr
Go find something better to complain about.

Last edited by a moderator:

BradLeeTee

Smash Cadet
inb4: "By placing your charizard amiibo on the wii u gamepad, you'll unlock charizard as a playable character!"

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
inb4: "By placing your charizard amiibo on the wii u gamepad, you'll unlock charizard as a playable character!"
Wouldn't work. People would use the amiibo once to unlock the character, then sell it. They're not going to do that. Not to mention, it would generate an insane amount of backlash, no doubt.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
So I heard this is, more or less, the entire roster but will be updated further down the road in future updates. If this is true, I'm not sure how I feel shouts

I'll go play it though and then I'll take pictures to rub it in people's faces :3

I feel these nine Pokemon represents various play styles to get players adjusted to the game instead of including like 3 Pokemon that fall under one play style category. I like the roster but it definitely could be expanded. I'd be very happy to see my top 5 Pokemon: Garchomp, Hawlucha, Golurk, Vileplume, and Castform playable.
Actually It's definitely not likely but Castform could be a great addition! Using a Special Attack to change form on the go each with Pro's and Cons; I think I very unqiue fighter could be made from using this idea!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Pikachu is kind of a joke character.

Pikachu's "badass" elements in this game are moves and mannerisms borrowed from Heihachi of the Tekken games. It's funny seeing an adorable character like him try to act as intimidating as Heihachi.
I meant the actual definition of 'Joke' character in fighting games where they are meant to be bad/play poorly and are imbalanced against their favor. The difference between a joke character and a fighting clown is the fighting clown is viable-

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
I'd love to See Lopunny in the game, a fast, bouncy character with charm would be nice- although, with that weavile trailer- I think I just got my opinion put in its place. (we need a normal type tho)

Ursaring would be hype as F***, and would be hilarious as he would be the Kuma of the game.

Shadowcat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadowcat96
I love to see Lopunny. Would be a great addition to the game, cute, bouncy, fast, and she can mega into a fighting type. She'll fit to be one of the other girly characters along side gardevior.

Last edited:
Top Bottom