• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I'll say one I think most of us can get behind, one that I think looms over Smash 5 like a gross 'lol-random' spectre - A Playable Rabbid.

I feel as though they are sleeper-likely as they are one of the only franchises to partner with Mario, represent a huge partner to Nintendo - Ubisoft (sorry Rayman fans, Rabbids are probably more iconic these days somehow), and their partnership game turned out amazing - far better than they have any right to be.

I fear we're getting these lumpy lol-randoms, and noone else sees it coming.
Please don't let that be true. I don't want that to be true.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, a playable Rabbid was always on my radar. On the other hand, I am more interested in them than Rayman. Would be neat if both were playable, really.

To be more on-topic, I'd rather see regular Toad before Captain Toad. I feel one was designed more for battle than the other. One feels more like just puzzles, but the jumping thing is so integral to his character that simply ignoring it feels wrong. Making it be interesting with something better than "packed light" would be fine too. I don't want it half-assed, I want the character's key trait to be there but still make him work in an interesting and unique manner.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Sure maybe a Rabbid could make it in, but this game is using ballot picks right? Did anyone vote for a Rabbid on the ballot? I can see them getting in if DLC is a thing.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Sure maybe a Rabbid could make it in, but this game is using ballot picks right? Did anyone vote for a Rabbid on the ballot? I can see them getting in if DLC is a thing.
I never saw them in the ballot so maybe not. Although do we know that definitively? I don't think I saw the Belmonts or Inklings place very well

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I never saw them in the ballot so maybe not. Although do we know that definitively? I don't think I saw the Belmonts or Inklings place very well
That's true, I can't deny that, I believe I saw a image from source gaming of a japan poll and I think Inkling did pretty well. Although Sakurai has not confirmed this, perhaps it is a mixture of the two?, Characters he thinks are good for the game, and fan requested picks, which I think is a pretty solid route to go.

Last edited:

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
I really don't want crash bandicoot and that is the only character I really don't want to be in the game. He is like a 90's delinquent teen and I can't stand his design and he's just lame. I can't believe as many people want him in as the polls say. I say this and I grew up playing since nes days so I've been through my games and while I never have played his I've never been interested he just doesn't do it for me.. He just bothers me, I can picture him like "hey kid you got a smoke on ya."

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I really don't want crash bandicoot and that is the only character I really don't want to be in the game. He is like a 90's delinquent teen and I can't stand his design and he's just lame. I can't believe as many people want him in as the polls say. I say this and I grew up playing since nes days so I've been through my games and while I never have played his I've never been interested he just doesn't do it for me.. He just bothers me, I can picture him like "hey kid you got a smoke on ya."
Although I think we are in the minority here, I agree to the fullest extent.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'll say one I think most of us can get behind, one that I think looms over Smash 5 like a gross 'lol-random' spectre - A Playable Rabbid.

I feel as though they are sleeper-likely as they are one of the only franchises to partner with Mario, represent a huge partner to Nintendo - Ubisoft (sorry Rayman fans, Rabbids are probably more iconic these days somehow), and their partnership game turned out amazing - far better than they have any right to be.

I fear we're getting these lumpy lol-randoms, and noone else sees it coming.
The Rabbids could easily be assist trophies, dude. Rayman is the historic Ubisoft rep and the most logical, especially with his unique proportions.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Nope, 3rd party literally just means "Nintendo does not own them" when it comes to Smash. To clarify, 3rd party is any company that is not owned by the parent company's system owner. So, say, Gamefreak makes a game for the PlayStation. As Sony does not own GameFreak, it's a 3rd party game.

To say the least, context matters. So Master Chief is 3rd party on any Nintendo system or game on Nintendo, but 1st party on a Microsoft game. He has a 3rd party appearance on Minecraft Switch via a costume.
I disagree with this, but we've had that discussion on Chief's thread already. What I wanna ask you this time, is what do you consider Ratchet & Clank to be to Sony? Insomniac Games isn't owned by Sony.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm not enthusiastic about him myself either, but if he does get in, I could tolerate it.
I'm also on the no Crash train. He's extremely generic and his games are extremely mediocre 3D platformers. How the original trilogy is so fondly looked upon I will never know..

Dan

Smash Lord
Hey, what about Rabbid Peach? She took off in popularity and is the most popular character to come from that game; between the dashes, blaster, sentry, shield, selfies... have we had any characters who can heal themselves yet? Honestly, she could just represent the whole game and use grenades and rockets. Certainly enough content there for a unique and interesting moveset.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I disagree with this, but we've had that discussion on Chief's thread already. What I wanna ask you this time, is what do you consider Ratchet & Clank to be to Sony? Insomniac Games isn't owned by Sony.
That would make them 3rd party entirely. Well, unless Insomniac Games gets bought out by Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/Atari(as Atari has their own game system again).

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I do not want Crash in Smash. I do not believe Crash will be in Smash. He will not be in the base game because he was a non-factor in 2015/early 2016 when the design document was made. I do not believe he will be DLC, if DLC exists, because there are other characters people want to be in Smash that are first party and potentially third party, particularly in regards to relevance for Nintendo.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I think every iteration of Smash has had characters I'd rather have not been there, especially Smash 4, so at this point I've kind of accepted that even if those characters I don't want make it in, then whatever, it'd get a "meh" out of me. At this point the only character I actively wouldn't want in the game is Bandana Dee, because I feel there are other Kirby characters that should've had his spotlight, and I feel his popularity is manufactured and forced than anything(but I won't deny it exists, in spades) solely because he happened to be player 4 in RtDl, I also don't find his use of spear/parasol that exciting or unique, I'd take another swordfighter as at least swords seem more versatile to me. And of course, he's basically just a Waddle Dee with head gear.

But I think he's very likely anyway, probably the most likely, in fact I was expecting him to be revealed in the Smash Direct. With Ultimate's newcomers so far, I actually don't mind a single one of them, but I expect that to change inevitably, cautious pessimism. So in a sense I don't want him, but because I know that won't change the reality of what will probably happen, best to just accept it to minimize my salt when the inevitable happens :p

Other than that, most characters are ones I wouldn't want to be in the game if I had the power to affect that sorta thing, but also wouldn't feel anything even if they did get added. Such as...
Waluigi- Wario exists and serves same function to me.
Geno- Mario RPG is my least favorite Mario RPG game, also he's too niche.
Skull Kid- he's better in Zelda than as a Smash fighter.
3DS/Switch era FE character- in Smash or outside Smash, when it comes to FE, newer games get over-represented which doesn't appeal to me especially given I grew up on the older FEs.
Gen 7 Pokemon rep- didn't play those games, and I think there's a lot of Pokemon characters already.

Banjo Kazooie is a character I'd be very happy to see if he made it in, but I'd rather he not be in solely because he is technically a Microsoft character now. And plus I feel K Rool is enough to tribute NintendoxRare history.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That would make them 3rd party entirely. Well, unless Insomniac Games gets bought out by Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/Atari(as Atari has their own game system again).
Unfortunately, R&C is 1st Party Sony. While they're created by an independent company, Sony owns it entirely and gets the final say in everything. R&C is Insomniac's baby and most popular franchise, but it was created to be owned by its publisher (Sony in this case); despite mostly working for/with Sony. The publishers rarely fund a game if their creator holds the rights. Nature of the business, but that's one reason why Indies have taken off.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Unfortunately, R&C is 1st Party Sony. While they're created by an independent company, Sony owns it entirely and gets the final say in everything. R&C is Insomniac's baby and most popular franchise, but it was created to be owned by its publisher (Sony in this case); despite mostly working for/with Sony. The publishers rarely fund a game if their creator holds the rights. Nature of the business, but that's one reason why Indies have taken off.
I didn't actually know Sony owned the IP. Huh.

But yeah, it doesn't matter who creates it, it matters who owns the IP. Either a parent company owns it or not.

Regardless, if Rachet & Clank were to get into Smash itself, they'd be another 3rd party Guest(like Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta, etc.)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I didn't actually know Sony owned the IP. Huh.

But yeah, it doesn't matter who creates it, it matters who owns the IP. Either a parent company owns it or not.

Regardless, if Rachet & Clank were to get into Smash itself, they'd be another 3rd party Guest(like Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta, etc.)
I mean yeah we disagree on the specifics of what's a 3rd Party but no worries I have no desire to get into that.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Here goes. Digimon, Goku, Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, anything from Microsoft except Banjo and Conker, anything from Sony, any other Square Enix character except Geno, any other Capcom character, any anime/manga/cartoon/whatever character external to gaming, any other Fire Emblem character who's not a villain, more than 1 Pokemon newcomer, any obvious promotional character and any uninteresting/bland/boring character in general.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Shantae: No matter how many times others may beg to differ, she's not iconic or historically important in video games. She's just a character that Capcom published just to later abandon on her own, and then needed crowdfunding campaigns to become popular.

Sans: Undertale's fad wasn't a time I enjoyed, nor do I like Smash memes about certain characters in general (they try to be funny, but there's eventually a moment where the joke loses all of its power and devolves into sickness).

Any more Fire Emblem characters: Too many red flags about them (overtaking the roster, many share Marth's moves, people don't want more, and Sakurai himself admitted they were overdoing things with Corrin). I only let go of Chrom because I know there was a lot of fan demand for him.

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
Dixie kong and incineroar are far too ugly for smash

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
None, it's a ****ing celebration of games and if it somehow expands to a celebration of culture in general then I'm all for it. I'll play Ray Romano vs Jarred Leto's Joker vs SAO's Kirito vs Baby Mario's left knee if it's still a fun game to play because I can understand that there's some measure of value to any of those, even if it's to record how bad they are, or how wacky and stupid it is to have them fight.

The only ones that I'm less happy about are the needlessly fanservicey' boobs with a character tacked on', but even then I can avoid using them and feel extra satisfaction to stomp the nerds who use them :p. After all it's not Sakurai's fault that they were designed that way and if they're in the game then there's gotta be somebody who supported them regardless of design.
This is the best comment ever I've ever read

Before I start, just so everyone knows, I don't hate these characters. If they get into Smash I will be excited for their fans. It's just that I would personally prefer others over those. So please don't get offended. Thanks.

Geno- He has a really cool design. It's just that he only appeared in one game, and there's other Mario characters I would prefer. If Toad and Waluigi got into the game, then I would be fine with him getting in. But I really want those two, specifically Toad, to get in and he kind of ruins their chances.

Sora- Not a big fan of Kingdom Hearts, and nothing about his character stands out to me. Plus I would rather see Banjo & Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, and Rayman over him. And we're not getting four new 3rd parties, maybe if we're lucky two.

Rabbids- Speaking of Rayman, I really really really hope if Ubisoft gets a rep, it's him over the Rabbids. Don't get me wrong, I like them, and I enjoyed playing Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. But Rayman is more iconic, has more moveset potential, is more popular, and fits into Smash more.

Dixie Kong (as an echo)- Personally, I just feel it would be doing her an injustice if she got in as an echo. I'd rather have her as a unique fighter, and to be honest even an assist trophy, because at least her differences would be displayed. Dixie Kong was the third video game character I ever played as, due to me using her in Mario Hoops 3 on 3. I know all the ins and outs of her character, so when people say she's not different enough than Diddy Kong to constitute being a unique fighter, I have evidence to prove she is.

Steve- I love Minecraft. But the thing is, not every popular video game character is suited for Smash Bros. It's just a fact. While Steve is certainly popular and represents an important part of the gaming industry, Smash just isn't the place for him.

A Robin Fire Emblem Echo- Alright this is very generic, but I have seen quite a few different requests for an echo of Robin, one of them being Celica. I know it's dumb to complain about an echo, but right now we have three Fire Emblem characters sharing three movesets. Ike and Robin each have a unique one, but Roy, Marth, Lucina, and Chrom all basically have the same one, minus a few tweaks here and there. I honestly wouldn't mind a unique Fire Emblem newcomer, but I'm really hoping we don't get yet another echo.

LittleLynn

Smash Rookie
NNID
LittleLynn84
3DS FC
4983-4927-5486
Switch FC
SW-2692-0028-9418
There's probably a few, but the only one that comes immediately to mind that I absolutely don't want is Steve. I've just never liked Minecraft. That said, him getting in wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me or anything. I've still got almost a couple dozen regulars I like to play in a still growing roster of 70+ characters. One really obnoxious rep I don't like (or even a couple) won't be the end of the world for me.

I mean, I was likewise never into Bayonetta and audibly groaned when she got added in Smash 4. But I dunno, there are enough characters I do like in there that she just kinda got drowned out for me. (And giving credit where due, I admit I like her stage) So, sure there's some characters I really don't want, but thankfully, I'm kinda lax about it. If nothing else, it just means I get to use the characters I like to beat up the ones I don't. XD

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Daily reminder that no one will be completely happy with the roster and you will have one character you dislike in the game.

You don’t like Black Knight? ( I do) He’s in.

You don’t like Geno? In

You don’t like Dixie as an echo? Bad news for ya.

I used to hate this thread due to fear of flame wars, but it’s clear that somewhere (other than RTC) people need somewhere to express their feelings.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Some characters I don't want in Smash:
  • Phoenix Wright: While he's a character I can definitely see the moveset appeal for and is likable on his own, he's just someone who I have no interest in seeing in Smash.
  • Gardevoir: Another character that doesn't interest me at all despite having some interesting moveset potential. Another reason is also because my interest in Gardevoir has declined over the years for lots of reasons (the way fans have portrayed her to the point she just doesn't feel like the Pokemon I really liked back when I started generation 3 being one of these reasons).
  • Skull Kid: Was never fond of him as a character.
  • Jibanyan: Tried the Yokai Watch demo once and wasn't a fan.
  • Anna: Mostly because I'm not a fan of the character with how flanderized her money-loving trait is, and I've got many other Fire Emblem characters that I'd rather see.
  • A Kanto Pokemon: Even if said Pokemon comes from the first and most iconic generation, I feel like the other generations of Pokemon deserve more love and could benefit from having a few more reps from there considering how those other generations also have some interesting picks for Pokemon newcomers.
That's about it for what I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know this is the nature of the thread and all but I must say. At least give him a try. I'm a fan, and I believe he's fairly charming. I think the Memes and stuff create a false perception of him. I think while outgoing, he's still a very likable character.
Now for my actual contribution to the thread: I'm gonna say No to Minecraft Steve and more Final Fantasy. I just don't like them IN SMASH. Their games alone are very likable though.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Wow I can sense a lot of Crash hate here. Guess I'll wait until he's confirmed before I say anything

Off the top of my head? Shantae or any indie characters - I don't believe they deserve to be ripped in Smash as they aren't iconic or historical enough. It's nice that we have some characters on this list who could be worth a rep, but them being indy characters aren't really helping their chances of being playable.

Master Chief - Seriously I will never understand the reason of this guy. He's Xbox mascot in a way and haven't appeared on Nintendo system other than a skin if I recall correctly (someone correct me if i"m wrong). Him being in would be a slap in the face for the Nintendo fans plus him having guns aren't really helping him out.

Steve - Why....just why? I don't see the point of Steve being in Smash and he would stick out like a sore thumb.

Duke Cola

Smash Rookie
Captain Toad. Dear god he's annoying plus being used in Peach's moveset. Aiaiai its like asking for Jar Jar Binks to be in smash

Mr. Trumo

Smash Apprentice
I don't want Shantae. I'd be mad if I saw her get in with Shovel Knight as an assist (no offence, Shantae fans).

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
No more pokemon AT ALL. (Except for both Decidueye and Blaziken OR Sceptile and Incineroar. I personally lean towards the latter two)

No more third parties AT ALL (Except for Quote from Cave Story)

No non-Nintendo/Namco/Capcom/HAL characters AT ALL (Except for Crash Bandicoot and Banjo & Kazooie)

No second reps from non-Nintendo/HAL that are already represented AT ALL (Except for Tails Prower, or Ken as a Ryu Echo)

Now, for the ones that I am seriously against (Even though they may have met a category, I feel I need to reiterate:

Geno
Shantae
Steve
Sora
Any Undertale fighter (Sidenote: I would love to see Megalovania/Bonetrousle/Ghost Fight in the music menu. Megalovania is a must)

I may have forgotten some exceptions, but I am serious on this rule until we get Isaac, Bandana Dee, and Karate Joe into the roster.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
My disliked entries are about the same as most here. Rabbid, Steve, captain toad. I personally wouldn't want a monster hunter fighter, I'd be fine if monster hunter would be an assist trophy and there's be a easter egg where if one opponent pulls monster hunter as an assist while another pulls rathalos, they fight. That'd be cool. But MH as a fighter would be lame to me. Just dont like generic fighters, villager gets a pass

NukeA6

Smash Master
I'll make this short for everyone:

Ninten - He's literally a weaker Ness with asthma. Yes I played Earthbound 0/Beginnings.

Bandana Dee - Honestly the most boring suggestion to ever come out Kirby. There are RPG characters who could do half of what he does and only use a spear as a secondary weapon (especially in Fire Emblem).

Shadow the Hedgehog - He's my least favorite anthropomorphic animal in the whole Sonic franchise as he's just an edgier version of Knuckles and the series has been fine without him. Even his solo game sucked so why should he be the echo and not Tails, Silver, or Mecha-Sonic?

Olimar echoes - I think Olimar is the most boring character in the whole series with 90% of his attacks involving Pikmin being thrown or swung. I don't need anymore of those.

Daisy - It's mostly because of her crappy fanbase. You'd think they'd be happy with her in the game but nope, they complain that their favorite Peach clone plays lika a Peach clone. I honestly think she should be cut from the game and replaced with Waluigi.

That's it. I would be happy with any of the choices mentioned in this thread (well minus characters who haven't been in a Nintendo game outside of mere cameos).

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dante: Not that I really have a problem with him in fact personally wouldn't mind him at all but at the same time feel he'd be a ridiculous choice since there'd be better third-party options who are worthy and deserves to get in like Banjo-Kazooie.

Master Chief: Same as Dante. Would however pick Dante over him.

Steve: Same as the two above and would take Dante over him.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
1. Shadow: Unnecessary edgelord character from a third party. We already have Sonic, if it ain't Eggman then I don't want anyone else.

2. Crash Bandicoot

cause I want him as paired DLC with Spyro later on

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also Rabbids.

They're literally the Minions of video games in terms of being overexposed as heck. Keep them away from Smash please. Also they're annoying as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom